Justin Thomas' new Titleist 621JT irons - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club

GolfWRX_Spotted

To me the 621JT irons look like a modified version of the 620MB.  The 621JT definitely has no offset, or maybe very minimal negative offset.  Otherwise the head looks very close to the 620MB.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

21 hours ago, DeCuchi said:

Take the AS shape, the JT offset, throw some tungsten in the toe and jack the PW loft to 46 degrees and you have a modern 681.  OG 681's were the best irons I ever owned.  The low constant offset is something that has been a challenge to find and is almost non existent in todays irons.  I wonder who else got a prototype set and what they look like.

Both sets of my Titleist 620s have minimal progressive offset, but the MBs have less than CBs.  If my hands are NOT in the right spot at impact, it's a quickly noticeable miss.  Both of the sets have heel to toe length progression too.  I've been playing Titleist blades for a long time.  Titleist maybe did THE best job blending 620 CBs with MBs.  For me, 681s were relatively easy to strike well, only I never owned a set.  The most difficult blade to strike well was Titleist 670MBs, 2-PW.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

15 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Both sets of my Titleist 620s have minimal progressive offset, but the MBs have less than CBs.  If my hands are NOT in the right spot at impact, it's a quickly noticeable miss.  Both of the sets have heel to toe length progression too.  I've been playing Titleist blades for a long time.  Titleist maybe did THE best job blending 620 CBs with MBs.  For me, 681s were relatively easy to strike well, only I never owned a set.  The most difficult blade to strike well was Titleist 670MBs, 2-PW.

Minimal is a relative term, but I agree that the 620's were their best effort since the the 681's. Super low constant offset is what appeals to me.  If someone shows up with a set of  zero offset t100's I'm going to flip!  I loved that whole 660, 670, 680, 681, and 690 period.  Each series had subtly different specs and you could order what was best for you.  I remember I was even given different grind options when I ordered my 681's.  I didn't know enough about it at the time, so I just went for the standard option.

• Like 1

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

6 minutes ago, DeCuchi said:

If someone shows up with a set of  zero offset t100's I'm going to flip! 

I can't imagine that one... but who knows... LOL 

ZERO offset like KZG ZO Blades, requires a persons hands to naturally create the correct amount of offset going into impact.  I haven't tried zero offset irons in years, I think I forgot. 😛   Even my 2k custom-made MacGregor MB Butter knives have +/- offset close to my 620MBs. 

In today's golf climate, I can't imagine Titleist making t100s or any OEM making irons with zero offset.  Honestly, 99% of the people that play t100s, are NOT likely to have zero offset hands, or that level of ball striking skill.  But there are exceptions to every rule.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

3 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

I can't imagine that one... but who knows... LOL 

ZERO offset like KZG ZO Blades, requires a persons hands to naturally create the correct amount of offset going into impact.  I haven't tried zero offset irons in years, I think I forgot. 😛   Even my 2k custom-made MacGregor MB Butter knives have +/- offset close to my 620MBs. 

In today's golf climate, I can't imagine Titleist making t100s or any OEM making irons with zero offset.  Honestly, 99% of the people that play t100s, are NOT likely to have zero offset hands, or that level of ball striking skill.  But there are exceptions to every rule.

That's why I never quite get what I want.  My current irons are the lowest I've ever seen in person.  Love them, but man just once I'd like to have all the hot faced, tungsten loaded, springy foam filled, jacked lofted, player's CB goodness with .5 offset.  Just once!  That's not asking for too much right?  🤣

Edited by DeCuchi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, DeCuchi said:

That's why I never quite get what I want.  My current irons are the lowest I've ever seen in person.  Love them, but man just once I'd like to have all the hot faced, tungsten loaded, springy foam filled, jacked lofted, player's CB goodness with .5 offset.  Just once!  That's not asking for too much right?  🤣

Could be too much "IF" you discovered you weren't nearly as accurate them.  All the years of wishing... only to fight back the tears... 🙂  I am not aware of any tour guys that play zero-offset blades, these days.  My 620 MB 3i is 2.3mm or .0025" offset, it's about as next to nada as I am aware of today. 

I'll have to check with my 80 something uncle about this.  MacGregor made all his MB clubs with zero offset when he played on tour.  Now, he won't touch dem-dare MBs, preferring CBs.  You have a good wkend.  The winds blowing here this weekend, so I'll be using my 2i and 3i a lot... 😛

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

19 hours ago, DeCuchi said:

I remember seeing a set of R9 TP B stamps that had as little offset in a CB as I've ever seen. Tour players get all the goodies. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

On 10/15/2021 at 2:09 PM, Pepperturbo said:

Could be too much "IF" you discovered you weren't nearly as accurate them.  All the years of wishing... only to fight back the tears... 🙂  I am not aware of any tour guys that play zero-offset blades, these days.  My 620 MB 3i is 2.3mm or .0025" offset, it's about as next to nada as I am aware of today. 

I'll have to check with my 80 something uncle about this.  MacGregor made all his MB clubs with zero offset when he played on tour.  Now, he won't touch dem-dare MBs, preferring CBs.  You have a good wkend.  The winds blowing here this weekend, so I'll be using my 2i and 3i a lot... 😛

My sub 70’s are .5 mm 4-PW. Best irons I’ve played since the 681’s.  620’s are very nice. They were in the running to get in my bag this year along with the p7tw’s, p7 MB, and the RF blades. Then a friend pointed me to the sub 70 649’s and it was an easy decision.  

On 10/13/2021 at 5:50 PM, Pepperturbo said:

Damn, I really like the look of A.Scott's new 681as irons and JT's 621jt look fine as well. 

What's interesting about the difference is Scott's have more bulging MB and greater offset but sharper leading edges vs my 620 MBs.  Sharper leading edges help to keep my swing shallow, does the same with A.Scott.  I'll take the sharp leading edges and bulge MB of Scott's 681as with JT's minimal offset and spec design = perfect iron for me.  I can only hope one or a mixture of both come to market.

I thought wrx had a sneak peak at the PT/621's coming shortly.  Figured you would have had them in hand by now.

I prefer the looks of the 681's over these 621's.

A Revolving Door

20 hours ago, DeCuchi said:

sub 70 649’s

Unusual specs, more bounce in long irons as opposed to short/PW.  Nice looking too. 

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

19 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

I thought wrx had a sneak peak at the PT/621's coming shortly.  Figured you would have had them in hand by now.

I prefer the looks of the 681's over these 621's.

My buddy and I were talking about these blades yesterday.  If JT's, maybe even AS's irons make it to market, I will pull the trigger on one or the other.  AS's 681s have a bit more pronounced muscle in the back, which is kinda ole fashion, which I like.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

46 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

My buddy and I were talking about these blades yesterday.  If JT's, maybe even AS's irons make it to market, I will pull the trigger on one or the other.  AS's 681s have a bit more pronounced muscle in the back, which is kinda ole fashion, which I like.

So AS is playing an "AS681" but it has the offset of a 680? Why don't they just call it a 680? Because that's the main difference of those vintage sets, no? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nard_S said:

So AS is playing an "AS681" but it has the offset of a 680? Why don't they just call it a 680? Because that's the main difference of those vintage sets, no? 

It's basically a "new" 680MB and likely only built a handful of sets for AS until he stops playing.  As he stated in the interview, Titleist has run out of original 680 sets so this was what they came up with as the 620s just didn't tick all the boxes for him.  

A Revolving Door

2 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Agreed, I like the size of the muscle on the back of the AS as well.  I'm sure with all that mass there they feel quite good.

• Like 1

A Revolving Door

19 minutes ago, PEI_Golfer said:

It's basically a "new" 680MB and likely only built a handful of sets for AS until he stops playing.  As he stated in the interview, Titleist has run out of original 680 sets so this was what they came up with as the 620s just didn't tick all the boxes for him.  

They should be called "AS 680". They are not re-issue of 681's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bdck said:

Why do y'all thirst for zero offset blades?

Titleist hasn’t made zero offset mb’s since adam scott joined  titleist.  I guess most people like offset.  I hate it.  Offset makes me worry about hitting the hosel.  Zero offset makes the hosel disappear.  All the club manufactures make all different clubs at random offsets.  I don’t get it.  Zero offset just seems intuitive.  Everything lines up.  It’s traditional.  Now it’s rare.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WSUWarriorPGAPro said:

Yeah...  Well, I'm not on here 24/7, like some are, so I put it up when I saw something what I thought was "new".

Looking for information, but I also don't have the time to dig and dig and dig, since I work in the golf business and have limited time.

38 minutes ago, StiffShaft said:

Titleist hasn’t made zero offset mb’s since adam scott joined  titleist.  I guess most people like offset.  I hate it.  Offset makes me worry about hitting the hosel.  Zero offset makes the hosel disappear.  All the club manufactures make all different clubs at random offsets.  I don’t get it.  Zero offset just seems intuitive.  Everything lines up.  It’s traditional.  Now it’s rare.  

Offset is incredibly useful

I would play these immediately even though I have no business playing these.

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*): Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* - Diamana D+ Ltd. 80x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 915hd 20.5* @ 19.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 / Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

On 10/13/2021 at 5:13 PM, Nard_S said:

Adam Scott plays the 680's which are similar but are not the 681's. Believe 680 has progressive offset, 681 has straight 2 mm across set.

These JT irons are the s.h.i.t. to me. Please tell me these are going to be available for public consumption.

He put new 681.AS in play this week. 

Ambassadors Justin Thomas and Adam Scott each put sets of new prototype Titleist muscle back irons in play for the first time at the CJ CUP @ SUMMIT. Feedback from the best players in the world is a cornerstone of the Titleist R&D process, and these prototype irons (621.JT and 681.AS) have been developed in collaboration with each player to better understand some key design variables such as shaping, sole design and CG placement – that ultimately may find their way into future Titleist iron development. We look forward to sharing additional updates on these prototypes as we gain feedback and learn more from each player’s experience.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

2 hours ago, Bdck said:

For anyone who delivers the club with a stable club face.  Espet in short irons.

How so?  Weird that manufacturers for the most part have the least offset in the short irons then.  Wouldn't reverse offset make more sense?  For me it's visual.  Offset clubs never look square to me at address. Has me second guessing my clubface alignment every time.  Who needs that before every shot?  With 0 offset it's not a thought, it's point and shoot simple as that.  No one is noticing offset once the club is in motion, at least not visually.  Different strokes for different folks.

I agree the AS irons are more 680 than 681. Strange choice for Titleist, but if they never release these even in a super limited way, then it doesn’t really matter what they name them. 

Can’t recall seeing a Titleist staffer with the retail snap 7/8” ferrules. These solid 1” turned down ferrules are what are on my original 681s. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nard_S said:

Using 'AS' more than likely attracts greater attention, plus 680's are old versions.  Yes, it has the offset, but something tells me, like JT's 621s, the specs including lofts are updated/contemporary. 

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

1 hour ago, easylittle5wood said:

I agree the AS irons are more 680 than 681. Strange choice for Titleist, but if they never release these even in a super limited way, then it doesn’t really matter what they name them. 

Can’t recall seeing a Titleist staffer with the retail snap 7/8” ferrules. These solid 1” turned down ferrules are what are on my original 681s. 

Too my eye it looks like a blend.  A little bit of 681 shape and muscle position combined with 680 offset. Higher muscle with more weight towards the toe. Maybe modeled after the 681 cg placement. I have no idea about the sole influence. It would be interesting to know those specifics in comparison to the old irons.  JT's irons look more like a 620 influenced shape with low offset. Imagine how cool it would be to go back in a manufacturer's archives and request a certain shaped blade, cg placement, offset, sole grind, blade length, etc. A golf nerds dream.

19 hours ago, Bdck said:

Why do y'all thirst for zero offset blades?

Nothing to do with thirst.  It's about how a persons hands behave in though the impact zone.  My hands naturally stay ahead of the ball, so I don't need the help of offset. 

Some years back Titleist brought out blended 735cm irons, and they quickly became popular.  I decided to see for myself, so I bought 2-PW set of 735cm irons.  They were beauties, as you may recall.  I loved the muscle back short irons, but the mid and long irons were progressive CB's with various degrees of offset.  I tried my damnedest to make them work but couldn't get used to making hand position adjustments though the ball.  They were sold.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX