Best Wedge for a Terrible Bunker Player

OspreyCI

Tour Edge 1 out works for me. Pretty much automatic.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

On 11/12/2021 at 4:43 PM, OspreyCI said:

I am just terrible out of the bunker. My course has pretty good sand and that is not the issue. Been working hard on being better. Using a 60 PXG wedge with 9* of bounce. Looking for any brand of wedges to help me more. Bunkers having been costing me too many strokes. 

TM Hi Toe? What are the suggestions? 

You already own a really good wedge. Learn to use it. 

• Like 3

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Pm grind.  

• Like 1

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

You don't need a new wedge.

You just need to spend some real time practicing I bet in less than an hour you can beat this issue.

For a right handed player:

Aim left
Open the face of your SW or LW

Swing hard

Hit the sand behind the ball.

When you're hearing the thump and your ball is hitting the green and bouncing to the right you're most of the way there let us know how it goes. 

• Like 2

Others have already said it, but get lessons and then it’s practice practice practice. A good coach will be able to help you with your method but they’ll also identify how much bounce you need and be honest with you if your club is perfectly fine.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

On 11/12/2021 at 7:19 PM, xkilgorextroutx said:

This club is money out of the sand. Not good for much else, though. But it's pretty much a guaranteed out regardless of the situation if you're in the bunker.

Kinda like the old school Hogan Sure outs--

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

On 11/13/2021 at 9:01 AM, strug'-a-ling said:

If you're a really bad greenside bunker player, then your goal isn't sand saves but simply to be putting on the next shot.

Assuming soft sand, things like the Lovett and the Alien will get you to that point without your having to learn a proper sand shot.

You have to be willing to have a "sand only" club taking up a slot in your bag because they're pretty useless from a good turf lie.

Meanwhile, if you'd rather learn the sand shot, it isn't exactly rocket science.

You just have to be willing to go ahead and make the non-intuitive, unnatural feeling stroke.

It doesn't stay weird-feeling once you successfully make a few.

Now if you've got firm sand, it's just a hardpan shot where you have to get the ball over the lip.

Hard bunkers are enough reason for me to not play a course, however, so I don't know much about that.

100% true about a good sand club being useless off of almost any other lie--- One of the reasons i used to put in a ole Hogan Sure Out for courses with fluffy traps. A while back I found a Zing 2 Sw not really a Ping fan but loved the way it sat and yes it works well. Some may ask why when they see a PM 56 in my signature? The PM was originally a 13* bounce which is too much for me on FW shots so I ground it down to 10* making it virtually useless in the sand for me. May find me a 58 in the future with the bounce.

• Like 1

I have always been a terrible bunker player. I have even used the Cleveland wedge (forgot the name) that is similar to the Callaway Sure Out. Then I got fitted for the Edel SMS T-Grind. I didn't really make much change to my technique and I became a decent bunker play. I recently had a club building mishap (long story) and wrecked the head on the Edel. I've bought some other wedges since, haven't changed my technique really since the Edel, and now I am back to being a pretty crappy bunker player. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 10:16 AM, elwhippy said:

There isn't a wedge out there to fix poor technique. Have some lessons and practice. 

I disagree.  You know the swing that gets the ball out of a buried lie?  With an Alien style wedge, a player can use that swing on a regular lie.  Just smash down behind the ball and try to drive the club down and through.  It’s like caveman golf.

Here’s an affordable option @OspreyCI  Get the 60 degree because the technique doesn’t hit high.  They will build one for you if you’re not into club building.

Well I can’t get the link to paste on my iPad, so go to golfworks.com and look at the Glider wedge.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Blading is a technique issue more than a club issue or bounce. Would think 9 bounce should work fine in many conditions. 

I learned a lot from this video:

Open club face, hit an inch or so behind the ball, full shot!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bag 1: 2h: Srixon ZX4h: TM M1 ('17) ; Irons: MD Golf 7i & 9i, Wedges: RTX full face 52o & 58o; Putter: Spalding Pro Flite

Bag 2: 3h: Nickent 3dx; 3i: Cobra One-Length utility; 7i: TM M4; 8/9i: Inesis 500; Wedges: AW: TM RSi (50o); Cleveland RTX full face 54o; RTX 588 60o; Putter: Ping

23 hours ago, BIG STU said:

100% true about a good sand club being useless off of almost any other lie--- One of the reasons i used to put in a ole Hogan Sure Out for courses with fluffy traps. A while back I found a Zing 2 Sw not really a Ping fan but loved the way it sat and yes it works well. Some may ask why when they see a PM 56 in my signature? The PM was originally a 13* bounce which is too much for me on FW shots so I ground it down to 10* making it virtually useless in the sand for me. May find me a 58 in the future with the bounce.

Sorry my friend but I think that's a terrible take. Unless you consider the Alien/Sure Out/etc., built solely for those who just can't use proper/differing technique, the only "good sand clubs". :classic_blink:

Never saw an Alien, besides Poulter that is, on the PGA Tour. :classic_laugh:

A proper SW, low, medium or high bounce, can hit all the shots off the fairway and out of the rough with only small, if any, technique adjustments.

That said one should choose their SW, or at least the bounce on the SW, based on the sand they mostly play out of.

Soft = high bounce, to keep the SW from digging too much. Firm = low bounce, to GET the club digging a bit more to insure getting under the ball.

In between = in between bounce. Technique differences can adjust to the firmer or softer sand if/when you need to. Grinds help as well.

Try to hit the Alien off firm sand ? Good luck with that. And yeah, I'm sure they're very difficult off the fairways. Rough ? Should be OK out of there, no ?

If one plays in all types of sand and doesn't want to change their bag from day to day, the tweener should work fine.

As for a 13* not working from the fairway ?!?!?! Just move the ball back a hair in your stance and that 3* "extra" is gone; same as your ground down 10*.  high five.gif

• Confused 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

24 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Sorry my friend but I think that's a terrible take. Unless you consider the Alien/Sure Out/etc., built solely for those who just can't use proper/differing technique, the only "good sand clubs". :classic_blink:

Never saw an Alien, besides Poulter that is, on the PGA Tour. :classic_laugh:

A proper SW, low, medium or high bounce, can hit all the shots off the fairway and out of the rough with only small, if any, technique adjustments.

That said one should choose their SW, or at least the bounce on the SW, based on the sand they mostly play out of.

Soft = high bounce, to keep the SW from digging too much. Firm = low bounce, to GET the club digging a bit more to insure getting under the ball.

In between = in between bounce. Technique differences can adjust to the firmer or softer sand if/when you need to. Grinds help as well.

Try to hit the Alien off firm sand ? Good luck with that. And yeah, I'm sure they're very difficult off the fairways. Rough ? Should be OK out of there, no ?

If one plays in all types of sand and doesn't want to change their bag from day to day, the tweener should work fine.

As for a 13* not working from the fairway ?!?!?! Just move the ball back a hair in your stance and that 3* "extra" is gone; same as your ground down 10*.  high five.gif

Maybe I can clarify better it does not work for me but what you said may be true in your case. Also I did not go into detail but the 13 ground to 10 is also relief ground for me. I do not claim to know it all or push my views on anyone just stating what works for me. And I also read what others write and form my opinion and try stuff they comment on. On the example you gave above I am steep on wedges from playing sharp edged butter knife wedges most of my life and moving the ball back in my stance makes me steeper. I have been playing golf and working on clubs over 50 years and know what works for me

• Thanks 1

I use my 54* SW for approach shots within 40 yards.  Particularly with bad lies in bermuda.

I got new glasses.  Single vision with a minimum of lens curvature to help my hand eye coordination.

I practiced in my back yard, raising the mower to 3" to combat crabgrass.  The high grass gave me plenty of challenging lies.

I also spent a lot of time practicing with a long driver all summer, learning to find the sweet spot.

2019 rule change give you the option of taking a two stroke penalty and dropping it out the back of the bunker.

Edited by ShortGolfer

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Maybe I can clarify better it does not work for me but what you said may be true in your case. Also I did not go into detail but the 13 ground to 10 is also relief ground for me. I do not claim to know it all or push my views on anyone just stating what works for me. And I also read what others write and form my opinion and try stuff they comment on. On the example you gave above I am steep on wedges from playing sharp edged butter knife wedges most of my life and moving the ball back in my stance makes me steeper. I have been playing golf and working on clubs over 50 years and know what works for me

Wow, giving your bona fides. I touched a nerve, didn't I ?

I've read plenty of your posts and I know you're in the industry.

You wrote, and I bolded, "100% true about a good sand club being useless off of almost any other lie"

That's your take. And I still think it's terrible. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. No biggie.

I have to wonder though why every decent player I've ever seen ONLY has a single, "NORMAL", SW - you know, since they're useless everywhere other than the sand - assuming they're even a good SW IN the sand. 

So you've been playing just a slight bit less that I, but I confess I have nowhere near your experience working on clubs.

And anything I write, unless factual, is my opinion, i.e. it works for ME. I don't feel I have to state that explicitly on every thought I post.

Later. tip hat.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

6 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Wow, giving your bona fides. I touched a nerve, didn't I ?

I've read plenty of your posts and I know you're in the industry.

You wrote, and I bolded, "100% true about a good sand club being useless off of almost any other lie"

That's your take. And I still think it's terrible. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. No biggie.

I have to wonder though why every decent player I've ever seen ONLY has a single, "NORMAL", SW - you know, since they're useless everywhere other than the sand - assuming they're even a good SW IN the sand. 

So you've been playing just a slight bit less that I, but I confess I have nowhere near your experience working on clubs.

And anything I write, unless factual, is my opinion, i.e. it works for ME. I don't feel I have to state that explicitly on every thought I post.

Later. tip hat.gif

Naah You did not touch a nerve--- I thought I had not explained myself well because my written communication skills are lacking--- I do better explaining hands on in person--- I do the works for me thing to explain to others the fact that I do not push my opinions as Holy Grail--- That was basically for those that do not know me especially over here in these threads. And I did used to be in the business and dabble some now and then. I have my little shop out back of the house and mess mostly with my stuff and friends stuff--- Naah man we have no problem on my end

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are certainly wedges that make sand play easier. People always say eye2s are money and Callaway developed sure out. Cleveland is the smart sole but I'm not sure if that's for easy sand shots or chili dip sort of thing. From a technique perspective, I've always thought it was really important to have a stable base (lower body), consistent setup, along with the other things that were mentioned above. Essentially dig your feet in until you feel solid and that they're close to the same level. Something fairly simple to think about that you can do every time.

Edited by shoot4par
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, shoot4par said:

There are certainly wedges that make sand play easier. People always say eye2s are money and Callaway developed sure out. Cleveland is the smart sole but I'm not sure if that's for easy sand shots or chili dip sort of thing. From a technique perspective, I've always thought it was really important to have a stable base (lower body), consistent setup, along with the other things that were mentioned above. Essentially dig your feet in until you feel solid and that they're close to the same level. Something fairly simple to think about that you can do every time.

I will agree with you 100% on some wedges making sand play easier for the average golfer. Remember this when I state further. Most golfers are not as savvy on golf as most WRXers are. They have no idea about sole grinds or bounces etc or technique for that matter. Most courses unless they are private clubs or upscale resort type courses do not have pristine sand like PGA Tour courses either. Me I grew up on public courses in the Carolinas that used a Masonary type sand that had clay in it too. No matter how good of a player you were you needed a thick soled high bounce club in those thick sand traps. Now Coastal SC ( where I live now) and Florida they have in general a finer washed sand. Different animal all together. My current course where I am a member at now is a great place not as upscale as the resort courses in the area so not as pristine traps. Our traps were in horrible shape before covid and really got in bad shape during the time of no rakes. LOL our fairway bunkers do not have much lip and had gotten so hard that if you hit a drive in one 9 out of 10 times it would bounce out. Now my course has started rebuilding the traps and doing a pretty good job. The sand they are using is unwashed yard type sound found everywhere down here and it is coarse heavy sand hard to get through. I for one ended up putting my Zing Sw back in just for that and also started carrying a 5 hybrid for the fairway bunkers too. That combo seems to work for me anyhow. 

But on wedges themselves we have a strong Cleveland Srixon presence at my course. Actually one of my fellow members asked me about wedges yesterday. He is in his early 70s and decent for his age but like me does not have a lot of SS anymore. I found him a Cleveland Zip Core thick flanged with a lot of bounce over in the Pro shop. He bought it and called me last night thanking me.

I think in a nutshell a player has to find the wedge that suits his game based on the type of traps where they play.

• Like 2

first things first, the best wedge for bunker play is the one that will make the shot the easiest depending on lie, lip, sand, distance, etc.  With that in mind, I suggest a good lesson with a higher bounce option and more speed through the sand because most people think they are going to kill it but if you hit the sand first, you need more speed!

• Like 2

This thread reminds me why everyone struggles with sand 😉 Anyway, I’ve tried different clubs with different lofts, different bounce, even a SureOut. They’re like all golf clubs in that it’s still 95% you and only 5% the stick, so I’d say quite worrying about the club - whatever you have is probably fine.

What helped me was learning how to hit a wide open flop shot from turf. It’s easy once you get the hang of it, it’s far less intimidating than sand, and you can practice anywhere. When you feel comfortable with that flop shot off grass, just forget there’s sand and do the same thing when you’re in a bunker and it’ll pop right out every time. It may not be super close to the pin and that may not be how a pro would teach it but even after lessons and a lot of practice it’s the only thing that ever reliably worked for me.

One more hot sports opinion on that: forget the 56, and that goes double for a 60. If you got mad skills then go for it, but if you’re a pretty average golfer like me it just makes the shot harder. You’ll have your club face wide open so a low bounce 50 is fine (I use and old SM6 50.8) and it gives you more margin for error. I don’t even carry a SW any more. I’m sure a pro would say this is absolute crazy talk but like I said, it works for me. YMMV.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 3:50 PM, OspreyCI said:

That’s why this is the best golf site on the web. Appreciate the inputs. Maybe a little more bounce and a better technique is my issue.

I will say when I had the TM Hi Toe my bunker play was better. 

I’ve had great success with the Miura K-grind in either 56 or 60 degree depending on how far or high I need the shot to go. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

PING Glide 3 EYE2  60° is my best wedge for green bunkers 

PING G425  max driver   10.5°    Alta-quick 35g soft-R  

PING G425  SFT  wood 3  5  7 ( 15° 19°  23°)       soft-R  DISTANZA

PING G le 2  wood     7(27°)  9(31°) Alta CB soft-R (+0,5" and some lead under the head)

PING G430 hybrid  7 (35°)

PING I500 soft-R Alta CB 5 - PW (22,5° (27°) (32,5°) (37°) 42° 47° ( 52°) )

PING Chip-R  soft-R Alta CB (38,5°)
PING Glide 3 eye2 54° 60° Alta CB soft-R 
PING Sigma 2  FETCH or PING Anser 6 milled

Update to my thread. Worked hard on my technique from your guys posts and got a TM MG3 HB 60 and in my practice it has made a tremendous difference. Much, much better now. Thanks fellas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick