Can Any Moderate Swing Speed Players Weigh in on Ventus Velocore

Brenkj

I just got a steal on a gently used Sim2 Max driver with a Kuro Kage Silver shaft, so I'm thinking about using the left-over money to upgrade to a premium shaft.    One of the standard options for the Sim2 Max is a Ventus Blue shaft, but it's a non-Velocore version.  I've tried to read up on the Velocore shafts and whether they might be worth the added investment, but it seems like most people who weigh in online are fast swingers who swing stiff or X-stiff shafts.    I have no idea what my swing speed is, but a good drive for me goes about 240 yards.   I tend to hit the ball relatively straight (i.e., I'm not a great driver, but I don't have an incurable slice or hook).   Any thoughts as to how much a moderate-swing-speed guy like me would benefit from a Velocore R-flex shaft?     Thanks.

The velocore tech is meant to aid in contact and dispersion at any speed.

A golfer with a 70MPH swing can hit the center of the face just as well as a 120MPH swinger - or be just as inconsistent.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Thanks for the response.     My Sim2 Max fairway wood and 2 hybrids have the Ventus Blue (non-Velocore) shafts, and I love the feel of those.   With a Velocore Blue shaft in the driver, could I expect to get a similar feel as those, but with tighter dispersion?    Is there normally a distance gain also, as compared to the non-Velocore Ventus?      Thanks.

I am similar to you. Driver SS is average 95+ and typically around 250 yards. I have tried Ventus Velocore Black, Blue and Red along with Blue non-Velocore. To be honest I didn’t find the Velocore to be any more consistent then the non-Velocore. Accuracy and dispersion were no better. I actual got about 5 yards more distance with the non-Velocore version. I did like the feel a tad better on the Velocore shafts but not enough to be worth $300+ for the shaft. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brenkj said:

Thanks for the response.     My Sim2 Max fairway wood and 2 hybrids have the Ventus Blue (non-Velocore) shafts, and I love the feel of those.   With a Velocore Blue shaft in the driver, could I expect to get a similar feel as those, but with tighter dispersion?    Is there normally a distance gain also, as compared to the non-Velocore Ventus?      Thanks.

I purchased a Callaway Epic Speed this year and had the Evenflow shaft in it. I am typically pretty decent with driver accuracy with an average distance of around 270. I was however very inconsistent when using this driver. Distance varied 20+ yards because I had a hard time hitting the center of the face. I purchased a Velocore Blue S6. The feel and consistency changed immediately. I was hitting the center of the face much more often which increased my accuracy and distance.  I have not tried the non velocore version. On a side note I tried the Black in a stiff and I lost the ability to find the center of the face all together. I was shocked at how different the two shafts felt and the performance differences. I would find a place that you could try them. Im stuck with a $300 shaft that I cant use. 

11 hours ago, Brenkj said:

Any thoughts as to how much a moderate-swing-speed guy like me would benefit from a Velocore R-flex shaft?     Thanks.

I'm right around 100 mph with the driver and put a Blue with Velocore 6S into play late in 2020. I immediately saw more consistent impact and dispersion. There is definitely extra tip stability in the Velocre.

Is it a magic bullet that will fix bad swings, no. But if you are just a little bit off it's definitely a help.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Yup, good shaft.  Performed in my fits for almost anyone provided you get the bend profile right.  A blue or red 5 might be a good option for you if total with roll is 240, that puts you around 89mph if you use the total distance/2.7 rule.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

Thanks for the response.    

Wristy - I found a like-new Blue 6-R on Craigslist locally for $200.   That's the same weight as what I'm playing now (Kuro Kage Silver).    I like that weight, but I'd like to get more stability and less "whippy-ness".    From what I've read, that Blue 6-R might do the trick.

• Like 1

It will probably take some trial and error to find what's best for you but I would say don't be afraid to try something stiffer than you think you're capable of swinging. 

I originally played stiff only. Previous shaft was diamana blue 60 s+ (mid/mid) in my ts2. Switched to an evenflow t1100 xstiff (low/low) and immediately started catching the sweet spot more consistently. That carried over to my current driver, epic max ls with smoke rdx black xstiff. My SS is usually around 105-110.

I'm around 104 SS.

I was fitted for a stiff Ventus Blue w/Velocore. Worked great for me, better than several other options, while also feeling amazing in my hands.

Worth the price as there is nothing like it. Even at full price IMHO.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

I'm about 94-96 SS.  Velocore Red 6S ( no tipping ) in a TSi2 11* has been the best driver I've ever had -> a reliable fairway finder even if I think I put on a bad swing.  I may grab a Red 6R or 5S, tip it an inch or so, and see how that performs.

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

^^^ depends on your transition as well.  I'm 240 +/- on average too.

I had a Red 5R initially, only because it was available locally at a good price, but I found it too light for me so not overly reliable.   Found my Red 6S and it has been great !   But I'm always keen to try to improve upon it, so I'm thinking of grabbing a Red 6R next to fool around with.

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

95-99ish here unless I really step on it.  Started with 5R in a Speedzone Xtreme.   Switched to 5S this past summer.  Have fresh/new 6S and 7S sitting here intended for fairways, but might play around with some lead tape on the 5S and see if the 6S might fit me for driver before I install any adaptors.  Also considering Black, w/Red fairways, as the main “miss” I see is a balloon into the wind. 

I’m a huge fan.  About as close to automatic as anything I’ve ever used in golf. 

Ventus is made in numerous weights and flexes. Will you benefit? Depends if it fits you. The non-velocore version is crap IMO. 

I swing about 104 according to Foresight. I love my Ventus blue 6S. 

Edited by kjbuckeye

WITB:

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5*, NS Setting, Accra TZ6 55 M4 @ 45.5"

5 Wood: Maltby KE4 TC, 19*, ProjectX HZRDUS Yellow 60 6.0 @  42"

7 Wood: Maltby KE4 TC Hyway 21*, Aldila RIP beta, 70S, @  42" 

Irons: Maltby TS1 4-PW, Nippon Modus 105S, 7i 37"

Wedges: GW - TBD, SW - Maltby TSW Forged 54.10 bent 56.12, DG S300

Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 4 - 33"

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4 STD

Arccos accross the board.

Instagram: @buckeyegolf

I have about a 105 swing speed  with a driver (87-88 mph with a 7i) and moved from a Tensi Blue S 65g (standard Titleist) to a Ventus Velocore Blue 7s in my TSi2 and love the change. I felt too much bend during my delivery recently with the Tensi and a WRXer had the ventus onsale for a good price. The shaft is about 8-10gs heavier but I don't mind the weight as I'm a big guy myself. I can swing it as fast if not faster.

However I did feel like my contact was cleaner and my shots have been more squared over the course of the rounds. I gained a decent amount of swing speed throughout the year as I've played a lot for the first time and what was working earlier in the year has stopped feeling good towards the end of the golf season.

Original poster here.   I really appreciate all the feedback and info.   I've now had a chance to hit the Ventus Blue 6-R on the range 3 times (probably 50 or 60 total drives).   I REALLY wanted to love it, but so far it is just NOT agreeing with me or my swing.    Nothing earth-shattering, but I think I'm just having a hard time feeling the shaft load throughout my swing.   As a result, I'm tending to over-swing and the results have not been great.   

Tonight I did a brief comparison test.  I hit 5 or 6 drives each with the Ventus, then with the Accra TZ6 I was fitted for with a previous driver, then with the Kuro Kage Silver that came with the new driver.   The Ventus kept the drives relatively straight (maybe a slight fade), but the distance was down 15-20 yards.   The Kuro Kage is definitely the "whippiest" of the three, which helped with distance, but produced a bit of a pull to the left.   The Accra seemed to be the "sweet spot" for me, in terms of a combo of decent distance and decent directional consistency (basically straight, but with an occasional slight draw).   

I guess my question now is:    Is 50 or 60 drives on the range enough of a sample size to dismiss a shaft that has gotten almost universally positive reviews?   In other words - as a relative newbie to fancy driver shafts, etc., how much of the process involves me getting used to the new shaft, versus me choosing a shaft that seems to match my swing well from the start?

• Like 2

Unless you were very very off and not feeling good at all that day, 50 swings is plenty. Shafts are very much a feel thing in golfers hands and how you load/release/get along with it is what matters. 

Some folks give up after 5 swings (and we thank them for their generous contributions to BST).

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Brenkj said:

Original poster here.   I really appreciate all the feedback and info.   I've now had a chance to hit the Ventus Blue 6-R on the range 3 times (probably 50 or 60 total drives).   I REALLY wanted to love it, but so far it is just NOT agreeing with me or my swing.    Nothing earth-shattering, but I think I'm just having a hard time feeling the shaft load throughout my swing.   As a result, I'm tending to over-swing and the results have not been great.   

Tonight I did a brief comparison test.  I hit 5 or 6 drives each with the Ventus, then with the Accra TZ6 I was fitted for with a previous driver, then with the Kuro Kage Silver that came with the new driver.   The Ventus kept the drives relatively straight (maybe a slight fade), but the distance was down 15-20 yards.   The Kuro Kage is definitely the "whippiest" of the three, which helped with distance, but produced a bit of a pull to the left.   The Accra seemed to be the "sweet spot" for me, in terms of a combo of decent distance and decent directional consistency (basically straight, but with an occasional slight draw).   

I guess my question now is:    Is 50 or 60 drives on the range enough of a sample size to dismiss a shaft that has gotten almost universally positive reviews?   In other words - as a relative newbie to fancy driver shafts, etc., how much of the process involves me getting used to the new shaft, versus me choosing a shaft that seems to match my swing well from the start?

Ah that explains it.  TZ6 is medium-stiff handle soft tip.  Ventus is stiff butt, soft middle and mid tip, Kuro is super soft handle, stiff middle and mid/soft tip.  You just figured out what bend profile works best for you.  You agree (at least at this swing stage) with a slightly backweighted design (TZ6 normally is slightly counterbalanced, the TZ6-CB is extremely so) that has a decent amount of torque (sensation of loading and unloading and feel), and a medium tip.  Other shafts if you have the itch that fit this profile would be Evenflow Blue or EvenFlow Riptide, the stock Ping Alta CB shaft, and funnily enough even though it appears to be an outlier, the Tensei Pro Orange by Mitsubishi.  Still think you should give a 55g a try in these.  Probably the EF Blue, Riptide, or Alta CB as they will be the cheapest to source.  

image.png.485c4578e936c1278f547fee16d02780.png

• Thanks 1

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

@Brenkj not overly.  Everyone responds a little differently to shafts than the next person.  Go into the fitting with an open mind and see where it lands you.  Try a 50-55R, it might surprise you.  If you have some cash to burn, VA Nemesys and TPT 19LKP won't be that far off either.  Rogue Black 130 would also be close.

Edited by WristySwing

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Wristy:   I really appreciate all your detailed info and advice.   One last question (I think).   I also bought the Sim2 Max 3-wood and two hybrids.   Those all came with non-velocore Ventus blue shafts.   So far I'm hitting the 3-wood really well, so now I'm wondering whether the non-velocore Ventus would be a good fit for me in the driver as well.   Can you give me an idea of how that shaft compares to my Accra and the velocore ventus (like in the EI profile you provided earlier)?    Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone for the comments and advice.   For the last month I've bounced back and forth between the new Ventus Velocore and my previous driver shaft (Accra TZ6), and for the life of me I couldn't decide which one suited me best.  

This past weekend it occurred to me that about a year ago I cut down the Accra a half inch or so, and had been playing it at that length ever since.   I compared the two shafts and sure enough - the Ventus was about 5/8 inch longer.   Yesterday morning I cut the Ventus to about the same length, re-gripped it and took it out for a round with friends.   I hit all but one fairway!  My distance is still mediocre, but I'm sure that's a "craftsman-versus-the-tool" problem.    

When I went to my driver fitting, I was excited to hit the Ventus Velocore Blue.  It did not work out for me in the fitting.  I swing 105-110, but I just did not get on with it.  I have always preferred softer feeling shafts due to my release, they just feel better and I feel like I am loading them better.  I got fit into the Mitsubishi CK Pro Orange. Even though it is really tip stiff, the soft butt in it along with the counterbalance really keeps it feeling smooth and not too stiff to me.   Even though I wanted to like the Ventus blue with velo, as it seems that everyone loves it and the pros play it, it just wasn’t right for my swing….  I have thoughts at times of wanting to try the Red Velocore for more feel than the Blue, but the reason I was fit into the Pro Orange was to reduce my spin, and I don’t think the Red would help as much with that.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9*, Ka’ili White 60

TM Qi10 15*, Ventus TR Blue 60
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Cameron Phantom X 11, 2021
Titleist ProV1

I’m low 100’s with a fast transition. I have always got along better with tip stiff shafts. I just put the Black into my TSI3 and so far I really like it. I have only had it outside once and a few times in the simulator. It does not feel boardy to me at all. The true test will be this weekend when I head to Florida. 
will keep you updated. 

G430 Max 9 Degrees Accra FX 3.0

G430 LST 3 Wood Ventus Red 6S

Cobra TEC 3 and 4 Hybrid MitsubishiMMT Stiff

JPX Forged 5-G Steelfiber 95R

Callaway Jaws 54m and 58z

Mizuno OMOI #5

23 hours ago, Brenkj said:

Thanks to everyone for the comments and advice.   For the last month I've bounced back and forth between the new Ventus Velocore and my previous driver shaft (Accra TZ6), and for the life of me I couldn't decide which one suited me best.  

This past weekend it occurred to me that about a year ago I cut down the Accra a half inch or so, and had been playing it at that length ever since.   I compared the two shafts and sure enough - the Ventus was about 5/8 inch longer.   Yesterday morning I cut the Ventus to about the same length, re-gripped it and took it out for a round with friends.   I hit all but one fairway!  My distance is still mediocre, but I'm sure that's a "craftsman-versus-the-tool" problem.    

No it’s the tool, not the craftsman.  

Its not the one for you, and that should be obvious.  Okay that sounds harsh, but I’m on the run. 🙃

Edited by Snowman9000

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock