Shoe issues. High arches, plantar faciitis, heel pain

I think I’ve tried every shoe or at least brand on the market. Insoles are probably needed, but I’m autopsy to hear what has helped people. The shoes I own: Gfore Gallivanter, FJ Tarlow( current fav) TrueLinkswear, Nike 270G, PUMa tour, adidas you name it. 

Never tried Ecco, but Im Down to try anything, except maybe sketchers. Actually right now I’d try anything.

I’ve got high arches, bad heel pain, and a tendency to get on my toes during my swing. The Nike 270G is very comfortable on my heels but pitch me forward a lot. I walk whenever possible but I find myself in a cart more and more, which I don’t love. I think insoles might be the way to go, but not sure what brands. Thanks for any suggestions!

Don't laugh, but Sqairz are comfortable if you have wide feet.  I'm about 4 or 5 rounds into my first set and will gladly take the ribbing for wearing them.  They are a tad on the heavy side, but I rarely walk anymore due to age and body abuse.

I am an Ecco fan, having gone through probably a dozen pairs since FJ started making junk.  In the last year, I started having more and more foot and lower leg problems.  A regular sidekick of mine suggested the Sqairz and I almost laughed him out of the cart.  

I will let you know after I get 10-15 rounds into them, but early results are way better than I expected.  

Wasn't looking to "Change my shoes and change my game."  Was just looking for less pain at the end of a round.

Edited by OnTheBag

23 minutes ago, OnTheBag said:

Don't laugh, but Sqairz are comfortable if you have wide feet.  I'm about 4 or 5 rounds into my first set and will gladly take the ribbing for wearing them.  They are a tad on the heavy side, but I rarely walk anymore due to age and body abuse.

I am an Ecco fan, having gone through probably a dozen pairs since FJ started making junk.  In the last year, I started having more and more foot and lower leg problems.  A regular sidekick of mine suggested the Sqairz and I almost laughed him out of the cart.  

I will let you know after I get 10-15 rounds into them, but early results are way better than I expected.  

Wasn't looking to "Change my shoes and change my game."  Was just looking for less pain at the end of a round.

One of my golf buddies swears by them. He is a former college wrestler, a big guy, with big feet. He walks, and carries his bag. He has some on order, but his big size is on back order until early January.

2 hours ago, caniac6 said:

One of my golf buddies swears by them. He is a former college wrestler, a big guy, with big feet. He walks, and carries his bag. He has some on order, but his big size is on back order until early January.

I'm not ready to swear by them yet, but I am totally impressed so far.  I'm a big guy too with wide feet.  These feel better than anything I've worn in a long time.  And dare I say it...they do help with my balance.  I think.....  

• Like 1

Plantar fasciitis sufferer here. After many experiments with different soles-gel, half soles, half gel soles etc.- the best ones were the full size hard cased bottoms. Don't sound comfortable but they are. Stopped my pain almost immediately. Just take out normal insole and replace. Works.

These are the ones I have found to be best, Bought several pairs for all different shoes.

https://www.amazon.com/Superfeet-Insoles-Professional-Grade-Orthotic-Green/dp/B001CD9ULY/ref=sr_1_41?crid=6ZY8XGVOO6OA&keywords=plantar%2Bfasciitis%2Binsoles&qid=1638678246&sprefix=plantar%2Caps%2C238&sr=8-41&th=1

I don't have foot issues, so can't relate, but I've been wearing a Columbia trail shoe this year that I've found quite comfortable, and it works perfectly as a golf shoe, so perhaps something not specifically for golf might work well for you.  I walk almost exclusively.  For reference, I'm 6' and about 160, so not a large dude.

Best thing for your feet is to rehab your foot and walking gate without the use of orthodics or narrow high heel type shoes. The foot needs to be able to feel the ground and move accordingly. Since I have gone to a nearly zero heel type work out shoe for all of my general around the house activities my feet don't hurt any more. I also love my current Ecco golf shoes as they feel wide enough with out the clown shoe feel. Fix the body first.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KenRobie said:

Best thing for your feet is to rehab your foot and walking gate without the use of orthodics or narrow high heel type shoes. The foot needs to be able to feel the ground and move accordingly. Since I have gone to a nearly zero heel type work out shoe for all of my general around the house activities my feet don't hurt any more. I also love my current Ecco golf shoes as they feel wide enough with out the clown shoe feel. Fix the body first.

It’s always Like the 10th post that actually mentions physical therapy and strengthening everything. Which is the only thing that truly matters.

Stop it with the Band-Aids people

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Booooooooo. Obviously stretching and all that will help in the long run. I’m on the wide side of medium, but definitely not a wide shoe person. I love zero drop shoes but finding them with spikes, my preference over nubs, is pretty tough

will definitely check out those insoles. Luckily

my competitive athletic career is over so the source of all this is done.

8 hours ago, naws-golfer said:

Booooooooo. Obviously stretching and all that will help in the long run. I’m on the wide side of medium, but definitely not a wide shoe person. I love zero drop shoes but finding them with spikes, my preference over nubs, is pretty tough

will definitely check out those insoles. Luckily

my competitive athletic career is over so the source of all this is done.

Forgive us. When you said “I will try anything,” “insoles might work,” and “open to any suggestions,”we thought you actually meant you wanted help, not just to throw money at the problem.  But you did also make it clear that you like throwing money at the problem, and that’s what you wanted advice on, so my reading comprehension could use some work as well. 

Stretching does not really help by the way, it’s strengthening. And you likely would see results immediately, not long run. But I’ll see myself out now

Edited by extrastiff

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

2 hours ago, extrastiff said:

Forgive us. When you said “I will try anything,” “insoles might work,” and “open to any suggestions,”we thought you actually meant you wanted help, not just to throw money at the problem.  But you did also make it clear that you like throwing money at the problem, and that’s what you wanted advice on, so my reading comprehension could use some work as well. 

Stretching does not really help by the way, it’s strengthening. And you likely would see results immediately, not long run. But I’ll see myself out now

Adios. Don’t let the door hit you…..

I could show you a pile of rollers, taped lacrosse balls, elastic bands, etc.

I also have a soon-to-be two year old, so when I quit moving at the end of the day, I’m done. I’ve tried some insoles, stretching, accupuncture, and am about to try some cryo-therapy. I’ve had 3d foot scans, and have done everything short of surgery and $500 orthotics. 

18 minutes ago, ode said:

If you've never tried on the Biom, find a store and do so.  They definitely have a unique fit.  I have a high arch in my left foot and the bioms have provided good support!

I’m assuming there’s a spiked version?

2 hours ago, naws-golfer said:

Adios. Don’t let the door hit you…..

I could show you a pile of rollers, taped lacrosse balls, elastic bands, etc.

I also have a soon-to-be two year old, so when I quit moving at the end of the day, I’m done. I’ve tried some insoles, stretching, accupuncture, and am about to try some cryo-therapy. I’ve had 3d foot scans, and have done everything short of surgery and $500 orthotics. 

Sorry the snark and reply turned me on, couldn’t help myself.....

Rollers, taped lacrosse balls? Acupuncture and Bands?

maybe u missed the part where I said strengthen, or never had a good physical therapist show you some weighted negatives for targeted high muscle atrophy. 

A weighted vest and a curb to stand on is Probably closer and cheaper that that cryo-thingymabob ur going to have to “move” towards before the end of your day. Ymmv. But If ur into throwing money at stuff, which you no doubt very much are after all the tricks you’ve invested in, I think you Will really enjoy the surgery. You’ll especially enjoy Paying the physical therapist a ton of money to show you exercises that you could’ve just done before the surgery.

OK I promise that’s the last I have to say as long as you promise not to be so alluring when you reply

Edited by extrastiff

Would try some of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZD56SCG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

Also would not reject the Skechers idea.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

On 12/4/2021 at 8:18 PM, naws-golfer said:

I think I’ve tried every shoe or at least brand on the market. Insoles are probably needed, but I’m autopsy to hear what has helped people. The shoes I own: Gfore Gallivanter, FJ Tarlow( current fav) TrueLinkswear, Nike 270G, PUMa tour, adidas you name it. 

Never tried Ecco, but Im Down to try anything, except maybe sketchers. Actually right now I’d try anything.

I’ve got high arches, bad heel pain, and a tendency to get on my toes during my swing. The Nike 270G is very comfortable on my heels but pitch me forward a lot. I walk whenever possible but I find myself in a cart more and more, which I don’t love. I think insoles might be the way to go, but not sure what brands. Thanks for any suggestions!

My situation a number of years ago was exactly the same as yours.  High arches, wide foot at the toe, narrow at the heel, and just crippling plantar fasciitis in both feet.  I absolutely gave up on Nikes and FootJoys, and had started wearing New Balance cross trainers for golf out of sheer desperation.

A buddy finally got me to try Eccos with SuperFeet insoles, and it was a complete game changer for me.  I have worn NO other shoes for golf or street (except Asics for running/working out) for many, many years now.  Every time I buy a new pair of Ecco golf shoes, I also buy a new pair of SuperFeet insoles (I use the green ones), and that combination has kept me pain-free ever since.  Eccos have the best arch supports in the business anyway, and the SuperFeet insoles really work to reach my high arch.

FWIW, I just walked 18 holes four days in a row without so much as a twinge in either foot.  Before anybody responds to this by saying that a new pair of Eccos with an extra insole is a lot of expense, which is true, I'd equate good footwear for golf to good brakes and tires on a car; just not good places to look to save money.

I play with a guy that recently retired as the head trainer of an ACC men’s basketball team. He recommended custom orthotics, and said that most, if not, all players on the team were fit for them. The initial investment is pricey, but they are specifically made for you, where a pre made one is made to fit a range of folks, with a range of issues.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2021 at 7:18 PM, naws-golfer said:

Thought I would throw out an off the wall suggestion.  I've been wearing these two pair a lot since Thanksgiving.  They aren't golf shoes, just trail style running shoes.  Great grip on the course and really comfortable underfoot, which is where most of my pain is.  These are both size 12 4E so that option is available.  I play 2-3 times a week all winter and these have endured 85% of my rounds since mid-late November.  

I bought some Camp Dry spray at Wally World to help keep out normal course moisture.  If it's raining or sloppy, I have been wearing Squairz spikes.  Those are pretty comfortable for a spiked golf shoe and the last thing I want to do is slip and fall in the mud. 

But after the last 2 months of wearing these trail style shoes, I likely won't buy another pair of spikeless Ecco's this spring as I normally would.  These were less than $90 each, and with no grip issues at my old man swing speed, why spend $175+ on the Eccos?

Any way.  Thought I would mention these options.  I don't endorse one brand over the other.  More of a suggestion of a style of shoe that works way better than I expected.  Hope you've found something that is working well for you.

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

31 minutes ago, OnTheBag said:

Thought I would throw out an off the wall suggestion.  I've been wearing these two pair a lot since Thanksgiving.  They aren't golf shoes, just trail style running shoes.  Great grip on the course and really comfortable underfoot, which is where most of my pain is.  These are both size 12 4E so that option is available.  I play 2-3 times a week all winter and these have endured 85% of my rounds since mid-late November.  

I bought some Camp Dry spray at Wally World to help keep out normal course moisture.  If it's raining or sloppy, I have been wearing Squairz spikes.  Those are pretty comfortable for a spiked golf shoe and the last thing I want to do is slip and fall in the mud. 

But after the last 2 months of wearing these trail style shoes, I likely won't buy another pair of spikeless Ecco's this spring as I normally would.  These were less than $90 each, and with no grip issues at my old man swing speed, why spend $175+ on the Eccos?

Any way.  Thought I would mention these options.  I don't endorse one brand over the other.  More of a suggestion of a style of shoe that works way better than I expected.  Hope you've found something that is working well for you.

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

My experience is the same as yours.  Trail running shoes are great for golf.

Apart from looks/style, they are as good, or better, than any golf shoes.

• Like 1

Let me start by saying that I am no doctor but have had foot pain for years. It sounds like you did most everything that I have done or someone has replied with some good ideas. Morning calf stretches, insoles, wearing the boot at night, support socks, bottle of ice on the foot, etc are the things that I tried with some success. I had two steroid injections in my foot that has helped over time. I really don’t think that I needed the second shot and wish I didnt take it because the pain came back immediately after the shot but did eventually go away. Something else that definitely worked was a massage. My therapist was able to work out a lot of the muscle knots in my calves which really helped out with the pain. Especially after the shots to my one foot. Another thing that helped me was dry needling to my calf to get rid of knots in my calf’s. It was barbaric for sure but really helped. I have been (severe) pain free since November and (knock on wood) hope that I have figured it out. Massage therapy has been a game changer working out the calf knots. I walk when I play golf too which makes me happy.

Sketchers shoes and the new Adidas KG21 shoes are what seem to work for me. I put Super Feet green insoles in these and all of my shoes. Everyone is different and will have different suggestions. I wish you luck on this issue and hope that it gets better for you soon.

Edited by matracy68
Add more information

Have you seen a Podiatrist?  Seems like they would be best suited to help foot problems.  I have Orthodics made many years ago - got them resurface 1-2 times since.   I think now they just recommend an over the counter insert most appropriate for you as the quality of OTC has improved over the years.    They would surely be in a better position to recommend exercises, etc.  

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

Get orthotics made. Wear high volume shoes for everything. Sneakers the Hoka Bondi are a great choice. I have the same exact problem as you. I’ve already gone down this road. I don’t need the orthotics anymore. As people have mentioned Superfeet green insoles are also great. For golf shoes I wear Adidas Tour360. The orthotics will fix the problem. 

Paradym TD 8° @ 9° | Paradym TD 15° | UW 19° | Honma TW747V 4-9 | Zipcore 47°/51°/55°/59° | Evnroll EV2 Armlock

On 12/6/2021 at 8:48 AM, bluedot said:

My situation a number of years ago was exactly the same as yours.  High arches, wide foot at the toe, narrow at the heel, and just crippling plantar fasciitis in both feet.  I absolutely gave up on Nikes and FootJoys, and had started wearing New Balance cross trainers for golf out of sheer desperation.

A buddy finally got me to try Eccos with SuperFeet insoles, and it was a complete game changer for me.  I have worn NO other shoes for golf or street (except Asics for running/working out) for many, many years now.  Every time I buy a new pair of Ecco golf shoes, I also buy a new pair of SuperFeet insoles (I use the green ones), and that combination has kept me pain-free ever since.  Eccos have the best arch supports in the business anyway, and the SuperFeet insoles really work to reach my high arch.

FWIW, I just walked 18 holes four days in a row without so much as a twinge in either foot.  Before anybody responds to this by saying that a new pair of Eccos with an extra insole is a lot of expense, which is true, I'd equate good footwear for golf to good brakes and tires on a car; just not good places to look to save money.

Every podiatrist I know has recommended brooks running shoes with super feet insoles for planter fasciitis. Curious if Ecco is similar to brooks, knowing brooks doesn’t make golf shoes.

18 hours ago, smg6165 said:

Every podiatrist I know has recommended brooks running shoes with super feet insoles for planter fasciitis. Curious if Ecco is similar to brooks, knowing brooks doesn’t make golf shoes.

I've never had a pair of Brooks; I ran for nearly 50 years in Asics, and Eccos are very similar to those in terms of the toe box being wide and the heel being a bit more narrow.

• Like 1