2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

The Best 3-Wood Metalwoods Of All Time?

5 minutes ago, Scully13 said:

I have a thing for the Taylormade retros.

Retro Spoon- 13 degrees and the Retro Raylor -16 degrees.

HM TM 200 Steel and Callaway Steelhead/Steelhead Plus.

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 10.04.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 10.03.30 AM.png

@Scully13 Am curious to get your thoughts (+other folks here) on feel/sound/playability of the Tour Spoon 13*, vis-a-vis the Retro Raylor

(i own the Retro Raylor 16* and 19*,

but never bought the Spoon , as it seemed too daunting for my limited golf ability at the time!)

IMHO... the Retro Raylor = wonderful clubs... meaty & solid (and to my ears, nicer sounding vs newer-tech woods with thin face/ slots on the sole ... albeit i have to acknowledge those slots bring performance benefits on non-sweetspot contact) 

Edited by JungleJimbo

I compare the TM retros to modern day hybrids. I love the "Thumping" sound of the retros as compared to the modern day "Clinking" sound of fairways and hybrids. I believe that the older TM FW were foam filled to deaden the sound but I could be wrong.

However, I loved the Callaway Steelheads for distance and forgiveness on mishits. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scully13 said:

I compare the TM retros to modern day hybrids. I love the "Thumping" sound of the retros as compared to the modern day "Clinking" sound of fairways and hybrids. I believe that the older TM FW were foam filled to deaden the sound but I could be wrong.

However, I loved the Callaway Steelheads for distance and forgiveness on mishits. 

You are correct on the foam

On 1/2/2022 at 1:38 AM, JungleJimbo said:

”Top 10 “modern classic” fairway woods of all time” (30 Oct 2019)

https://www.golfwrx.com/578080/top-10-modern-classic-fairway-woods-of-all-time/

I wasn’t going to admit it but the Taylormade RBZ I used with success made this list. It was ugly white so I refinished it and painted it flat black. It’s one club I wish I would have kept. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I've only full-time bagged two 3-woods since 1991.

A Taylor Made Spoon with a Flex Twist Graphite shaft - which i only swapped out because changes in ball technology clobbered its all-round performance - and, from 2005-on, a Nike T60. I've tried all sorts of other clubs, and some were good bits of kit and gave me a boost in some areas, but I'm a big believer in the old adage that a fairway wood is a hard club to get right, and once you find a good one, you stick with it.

Edited by mat562
  • Like 1

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

I don’t use 3 woods much anymore because of loss of distance off the tee due to age so using a 3 wood to avoid trouble doesn’t come up anymore. When I did though my favorite, which I still have, was a TM V steel, with a TT regular flex metal shaft. The club was very accurate off the tee. I have fond memories of keeping that in the fairway on tight driving holes while my playing partners would bomb their driver tee shots out of bounds or into hazards.😁

• Like 2

The first and best 3W I ever owned was a Callaway Steelhead with the Memphis 10 shaft -- off the tee, I could hammer that club longer and straighter than any driver of the time. 

First comment from people I played with was, "Wait -- you don't even own a driver?"  Followed not long afterwards by, "Wow, the way you hit that thing, I guess maybe you don't need to carry a driver!"

Somehow developed a slight bend in the shaft, reshafted it 2 different times, never could get it to play or feel the same again.😢

• Like 2

My favorite 3WD I've ever swung is the Tour Edge Exotics CB2. If I could still swing as good as I did 15 years ago, I'd still be bagging it with a TP7HD. It is the M-B AMG of 3WDs past and present. I still have 3+, 3, 5, and 7.

The V-Steel is the best overall performer I've tried as it is so easy to hit well and offers plenty of performance. I still have them in 3, 5, 7, and 9.

One that hasn't been mentioned is Bridgestone J33. It's very worthy of love and praise and quite possibly the best looking fairway ever made.

• Like 3

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

My favorite is a Wilson Staff DF6 with a stock NVS stiff that was a thrift store find several years ago.  Ideal face depth to be good off the tee and off the deck, although the only time I use it off the tee is to lay up short of something.  Other clubs come and go, but that one has stayed in the bag for a long time now.

Shallowface is mostly just a pen name at this point.  Some tastes change with time!   

• Like 2

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

20 hours ago, darkhelmet said:

The first and best 3W I ever owned was a Callaway Steelhead with the Memphis 10 shaft -- off the tee, I could hammer that club longer and straighter than any driver of the time. 

First comment from people I played with was, "Wait -- you don't even own a driver?"  Followed not long afterwards by, "Wow, the way you hit that thing, I guess maybe you don't need to carry a driver!"

Somehow developed a slight bend in the shaft, reshafted it 2 different times, never could get it to play or feel the same again.😢

No 2 shafts bend or frequency out the same despite what the manufacturers try to tell you. And believe it or not sometimes the position of the shaft may be right for that club too. Stuff like that happens all the time. As much as I mess with clubs if I get one that feels and hits good I do not mess with it. I know this is about 3 woods but years ago I had a repo Wilson R-90 I bought new. I literally wore the face concave and you could barely see Wilson on the sole. It was stock with no mods had the brown faux pyratone shaft. Went through 3 or 4 of them brand new and never could find one that felt the same. 

• Like 4

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

23 minutes ago, Shallowface said:

My favorite is a Wilson Staff DF6 with a stock NVS stiff that was a thrift store find several years ago.  Ideal face depth to be good off the tee and off the deck, although the only time I use it off the tee is to lay up short of something.  Other clubs come and go, but that one has stayed in the bag for a long time now.

Shallowface is mostly just a pen name at this point.  Some tastes change with time!   

The NVS Green is one of like 3 of my all time favorite shafts. The V-Steel 3 wood in my signature has one. I did not build that club I found it on the scrap pile at work just like it is. It is beat up and the ferrule is missing. No I am not taking it apart and putting one on it. I am not even going to put a 2 piece on it because it may mess with the tip flex some. The 7 wood in my signature I have had since new some 20 years ago now. I think 5 years into it I snapped the original MAS TM shaft at the head. Ended up putting a UST Pro Force Gold R in it. That shaft is still in it and I darn sure aint messing with that thing

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, BIG STU said:

No 2 shafts bend or frequency out the same despite what the manufacturers try to tell you.

This is especially true when talking about stock shafts from the first decade or more from Callaway.  Price is the primary determinant.

There used to be stories shared by shaft industry folks on the various forums, in the early days of the century, of various OEMs approaching them for a stock shaft agreement.  They'd be interested in such-and-such shaft, but wanted it at $2 each, instead of the $20 (or whatever) it cost them to build the product that caused the OEM inquiry.

It helps explain the legendary stories of stock shafts.  🙂

• Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

6 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

This is especially true when talking about stock shafts from the first decade or more from Callaway.  Price is the primary determinant.

There used to be stories shared by shaft industry folks on the various forums, in the early days of the century, of various OEMs approaching them for a stock shaft agreement.  They'd be interested in such-and-such shaft, but wanted it at $2 each, instead of the $20 (or whatever) it cost them to build the product that caused the OEM inquiry.

It helps explain the legendary stories of stock shafts.  🙂

I remember I had a Hogan GSS driver with a stock Green Aldila NVS shaft. I got it new at our golf shop when Callaway bought Hogan and dumped all the Hogan equipment at fire sale prices. Man I could hit that thing. Not long after that in 09 we closed the shop. I ended up on a deal with another bud in the golf business that sold Infiniti ,Wishon , KZG and Alpha. I was basically working for him on a deal with him. He was fitting me into a Wishon driver and we were trying the Green Aldila shafts--- We went through like 15 trying to match the numbers with the Hogan never could match up any within reasonable numbers. what was funny was the variance of numbers inbetween new stock shafts. Come to find out he had bought some of those from a wholeseller and we suspected that they were some of the Cally dumped NOS Hogan Stock. Ended up putting a stock UST Pro Force Gold 65 in it un tipped and it worked fine. One of the reasons why when I found the V-Steel 3 wood in my signature and found out I could hit it I never have messed with that shaft. Even though that club was not built for me it hits well for me like it is. 

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

I've always liked the Callaway Warbirds and their generation prior.  The longest 3 wood shot I've ever hit was with a Mizuno T-Zoid forged. My all time favorite of the old metal woods is the Titleist Starship.  I still have the 3 and 5 my parents bought for me when I qualified for my high school golf team.  I did have them reshafted with x100s several years ago.  They never get much love, but for me they're easy to hit off the ground and a tee.  They certainly aren't the longest woods though.  I even picked up a 7 wood a few years back.  It's also a good club.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the Cleveland launcher. With the gold Fujikura shaft. 

Close runner up would be the Cleveland launcher comp that was released a few years later.

Those 2 were my favorite fairways(and drivers)  for several years.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

On 1/9/2022 at 4:07 PM, nitram said:

My favorite 3WD I've ever swung is the Tour Edge Exotics CB2. If I could still swing as good as I did 15 years ago, I'd still be bagging it with a TP7HD. It is the M-B AMG of 3WDs past and present. I still have 3+, 3, 5, and 7.

The V-Steel is the best overall performer I've tried as it is so easy to hit well and offers plenty of performance. I still have them in 3, 5, 7, and 9.

One that hasn't been mentioned is Bridgestone J33. It's very worthy of love and praise and quite possibly the best looking fairway ever made.

Funny I was reading through this early this AM. I am going to experiment with a V-Steel 4 wood I found in the stash yesterday. It appears dead nuts stock but is pristine. I do not recall hitting it and I think it may have been one of my junkpile finds. I believe I never have hit it because I do not have any of my lead tape mods on it. From what I gather the 4 wood is kinda like Hens Teeth rare. Basically I am hitting the old 3 wood ok but I am experimenting this week with lofting up some for more carry. I am more than likely going to loft up the M-6 some. I had adjusted it but never measured it per say. A bud of mine had a sheet on one and I double checked it on my plate with the protractor. I had it set at 8.5 but I was swinging at it hard. Since I have reduced my stance and swing arc I do not get it as high and have lost some distance even hitting it solid so I think lofting up may work for me. Well experimental day

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

pr.jpg

• PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2022 at 9:11 PM, PeterPing said:

Orlimar 

I got this head, but I don't think it's the kind you are talking about?

Is it especially worth shafting? I already have 20* and 26* hybrids, the 26* works very well for me; I just got the 20* so haven't hi t** yet, but it's the sister of the 26*

Orlimar face.JPG

Orlimar bottom.JPG

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

love the early warbirds and steelheads. ALso love the PT titleist

Nothing at all wrong with those and I can tell you the sleeper in the Cally line the old S2H2 heads. Thos things are hot and hard to find because anyone who has them will hold on to them like gold. 

CALLY XHOT

• Like 1

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X