2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Callaway Rogue ST Pro Irons

m_w

Curious about these irons. Profile looks pretty good, not a huge fan of the high chrome but very curious to hear peoples experience on them. Has anyone here hit them yet?

I wanted to love the Apex Pro but couldn’t deal with the sound. If these are Apex Pro with better sound and more forgiveness, I might have to try them 🙂

Apex Pro had a forged face, no?  These should be cast if they're similar to the prior iteration of the Mav Pro, Rogue Pro, etc.  I think they look good, but the chrome will show wear over time.  I was a fan of the Steelhead Pro and Mav Pro.  Wasn't the biggest fan of the Apex Pro and swapped out for a Srixon ZX combo.  I'm interested to hear the thoughts/reviews regarding the Rogue ST Pros as well.

The 2021 Apex Pro is a multi-material head. May say forged somewhere on it, and that part may be forged, but the entire head is not forged like a Srixon ZX7 (not the ZX5, also multi-material.) They use welded steel faces because that’s the only way they can make the faces as thin as they are. I believe 2016 Apex Pro was the last truly forged version. 

With the microspheres and other feel- and sound-enhancing polymers used in the hollow heads, I don’t think it makes any difference if the head is cast, if it is. (Not sure on the new Rogue Pro ST.) The feel in all of them is a result of manufacturing, not the forging, and they can make them feel quite good. So I just go with how it feels. I am curious to measure the Rogue Pro ST vs the 2021 Apex Pro, which to my ear does make a more high-pitched sound at impact. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 1/5/2022 at 4:27 AM, m_w said:

Curious about these irons. Profile looks pretty good, not a huge fan of the high chrome but very curious to hear peoples experience on them. Has anyone here hit them yet?

I wanted to love the Apex Pro but couldn’t deal with the sound. If these are Apex Pro with better sound and more forgiveness, I might have to try them 🙂

I don’t know how any OEM could pack more forgiveness in an iron that size then Callaway did with the 2021 apex pros.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 8:52 AM, VictorValiant said:

Apex Pro had a forged face, no?  These should be cast if they're similar to the prior iteration of the Mav Pro, Rogue Pro, etc.  I think they look good, but the chrome will show wear over time.  I was a fan of the Steelhead Pro and Mav Pro.  Wasn't the biggest fan of the Apex Pro and swapped out for a Srixon ZX combo.  I'm interested to hear the thoughts/reviews regarding the Rogue ST Pros as well.

If the finish is the same as the Mav Pros, it will probably hold up fine. I'm only going on about a year with mine but they have no finish issues. The std mav and mav max irons on the other had would show finish wear very quickly. 

We're going on a Minimalist Adventure who knows were we'll end up:

"Full" 10-Club Bag currently looks like this:

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Titleist 818H1 25* Fuji Atmos Black 9s

Callaway Mavrik Pro 7-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

Vokey SM9 50.08F

Vokey SM9 56.10S

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

Has anyone seen them in a fitting cart yet? I am going to call the PGA SS in Orlando this morning and see if they have them in yet.

I will most likely buy them no matter what since I like the shape, but it would be good to compare a bit.

Hitting off mats it seems I hit everything the same anyway, which is always a lot shorter than I play for.. ha maybe that is why I am always short of the green. Stupid game 🙂 

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9* GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

I was able to take a few swings with the rogue pro 7 iron today from a fitting cart and also hit the apex pro 7 iron to compare it against.  I'm currently playing the 2014 apex pros that I really like. 

The Rogue pro has a little bit thicker top line than the apex pro and is ever so slightly bigger, but neither thing was unappealing and I thought the club sat well and looked good.  Definitely quite a bit longer than the apex pro and I think it felt better on impact.  I know the lofts are different by a couple of degrees, but it still went plenty high.  I'd definitely consider purchasing.

• Thanks 3

I talked to Callaway trying to pre order early, but not possible.

Have to wait until the 21st, clubs should arrive by Feb. 18 or maybe a bit sooner according to my rep.

• Like 2

SLED # 1  35.5

• 2 weeks later...

I just hit these today with the stock new Rifle 105 Tour Flighted Stiff shaft. I was really surprised with how great these felt when you hit them out of the middle, and the feedback you get when you don’t. Definitely not a muted feeling at all. These irons look even better in person, blade like in the bag. 

I’m considering buying these but replacing the Rifles with Modus120s. I was hitting the Rifles a bit too low for my liking but that maybe by design or just due to my swing. I love the kick of the modus 120 and think it could be a great combo with these heads. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade RBZ 10.5 (57g)
Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Iron (UST Recoil 780-F4 Stiff)
Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 4-GW (Nippon Modus 120 Tour Stiff)

Titleist Vokey SM7 56* (DG S200)

Miura HB 60* (Nippon Modus 125 Tour Wedge)

Piretti Matera Elite (SuperStroke 2.0)

On 1/6/2022 at 9:47 PM, dmeeksDC said:

The 2021 Apex Pro is a multi-material head. May say forged somewhere on it, and that part may be forged, but the entire head is not forged like a Srixon ZX7 (not the ZX5, also multi-material.) They use welded steel faces because that’s the only way they can make the faces as thin as they are. I believe 2016 Apex Pro was the last truly forged version. 

With the microspheres and other feel- and sound-enhancing polymers used in the hollow heads, I don’t think it makes any difference if the head is cast, if it is. (Not sure on the new Rogue Pro ST.) The feel in all of them is a result of manufacturing, not the forging, and they can make them feel quite good. So I just go with how it feels. I am curious to measure the Rogue Pro ST vs the 2021 Apex Pro, which to my ear does make a more high-pitched sound at impact. 

Yes the 2016 Apex Pro was the last single-piece forged cavity labeled Apex Pro (hence whey there needed to be a 2019 Apex Pro "dot" and the 2021 Apex TCB addition).  Agreed that the multi-piece construction irons saying "forged" is more for marketing than anything else in terms of feel.  HOWEVER, having the outer body forged in the Apex Pro versus cast in this line does give the ability to bend them.  You can easily bend the Apex/Apex Pro for lie angle and loft and not so much in the cast Rogue line.  I sort of wish Callaway if they're going to keep producing the X Forged line would stagger that release next time to the even years with the cast line (like Rogue).  So the products are still on 2-year cycles but:

Even Year: New Cast line, X Forged irons

Odd Year: Apex line (Apex, Apex Pro, Apex TCB equivalent, Apex MB) *for combo'ing purposes

*Drop Apex DCB and just have Big Bertha as your super game improvement line.

Edited by cmatthews77

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

I liked the Steelhead Pros,Rogue Pros,and Mavrik Pros which I bought when they first came out. Keep the Mav Pros 4-6 months as I do with all my past 50 sets. Yes I have an iron problem,not Aunts,not birds,just irons.

Anyway had stock Elevate 105 regular and like two previous Pros had a addicting feel when hit square. Fairly forgiving too. I imagine I will give this new iteration a spin. They do look good and seem larger than the T200s in the pics here.

Edited by hardten

This may be a dumb question but if I order these bent 2 degrees weak from Callaway, and later want to bend them stronger, does that damage the head at all/mess with anything else in the club?

TaylorMade RBZ 10.5 (57g)
Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Iron (UST Recoil 780-F4 Stiff)
Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 4-GW (Nippon Modus 120 Tour Stiff)

Titleist Vokey SM7 56* (DG S200)

Miura HB 60* (Nippon Modus 125 Tour Wedge)

Piretti Matera Elite (SuperStroke 2.0)

22 minutes ago, Golfer_Z said:

This may be a dumb question but if I order these bent 2 degrees weak from Callaway, and later want to bend them stronger, does that damage the head at all/mess with anything else in the club?

Not at all

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

They look nice and I'm sure they perform well but once you go forged you won't go back 

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

3 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

They look nice and I'm sure they perform well but once you go forged you won't go back 

Sorry I am not buying it, been down the Japanese forged route (as well as most all the OEM's) and there is no actual difference in playability in the real world, hit the center and they all feel like nothing. 

If you believe sound is feel then there is that difference but as a fairly deaf person that has never mattered to me, all this is just an opinion so take it for just that please.

• Like 1

SLED # 1  35.5

On 1/23/2022 at 5:49 PM, Golfer_Z said:

I maybe wrong but I was under the impression you couldn’t bend cart irons. 

At least my local retailer can’t/ won’t. 

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

There is a difference in feel with forged not playability. It's just something that that has helped improve my game as when you miss the sweet spot you can tell. I played the PING G710's and it seemed like no matter where I hit it on the club face they nearly all felt identical. Nice clubs but not forged. Curious as to how the new i59's feel and play but no way will I be switching over

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

11 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

Order placed. 4-AW, 2* weak, Steelfiber i110 X shafts. Money. 

I'm a mid-handicap high swing speed player. As such, finding a playable set of irons has been a challenge. For example, I'm not quite good enough to game pure player irons, but my speed makes most strong lofted game improvement/players distance irons nearly unplayable. Also, I hate offset, bulky soles, long story short I haven't been happy with any iron set I've played to date. 

Enter Rogue ST Pro. 

The Pro is the perfect tweener club for a guy like me. The profile is fantastic, low offset, the tech makes the club ultra forgiving, and they feel and sound like a players irons. While the irons are fast, they are consistent. Never once did I catch a flyer, and my standard deviations were tighter than 223/225, Forged CB, ZX5 with the same shafts. Additionally, compared to my current P770s, the Pros are much more forgiving in that they retain more ball speed on mishits. Centered strikes feel most similar to Gen 4 PXG 0311Ts, which I think feel fantastic.  

I've owned multiple sets ( ZX5, ZX5/7, i210, TR20P, 0311T, P770) and they've all come with compromises...wide soles, less forgiving, questionable feel, expensive etc. The Pros are the first set I'm genuinely excited about, because for my game there are no compromises. I get everything I want in a great package and at a reasonable price. Well, there is one compromise, and that's the badge on the back. I hate it and think it's ugly as heck. Other than that, they are an ideal set of irons for my game. 

Do you already have them?