Mizuno JPX 923

thl9077

11 hours ago, GJR10 said:

Does anybody know if you ordered custom if they will ship the tours out before the release date?

Potentially.... I have pre-ordered a few Mizuno clubs in the past few years and even before the pandemic and supply chain issues I have never gotten my irons on or before the release date. Usually a few weeks after the release date. I don't order anything fancy either. Just seems to be luck and who you order through for where you end up in the pre-order line. They get TONS of preorders every release it seems. Maybe they've improved their systems and waiting these extra couple of months to release the tour/forged and the wait times will be low, but I would not expect them before the release date and just be happy if they do get there earlier. 

• Like 1

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

Apex UW 19* DI 8x

P DHY 22* Ct-aper lite 110
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

On 1/13/2023 at 11:26 PM, Seidinho said:

if you have the zx5, why not stick with it? I don’t think the HMP offers anything new. Feel, looks, distance - much prefer zx5. 

On 1/20/2023 at 12:53 PM, Seidinho said:

Does anyone know when the embargo ends on the 923 forged and tours? I feel like it's taking forever! 

Saw a full set of 923 Forged yesterday and was able to compare them in hand to the HMP. Both irons look great. The main difference between them is the HMP is a slightly longer blade length but not all that noticeable. The HMP sole is noticeably wider than the Forged but it is not close to as wide as ZX5. The Forged looks closer to the 923 Tour than the HM line for sure. ZX5 is a chunkier iron, which is not a bad thing, it just depends on what you like. 

The long irons in the HMP look very nice, improved look from from

address over the 921 HMP. 

One thing in comparing these Mizuno heads to the Srixons is the Mizunos are much lower bounce in general, though the HMP probably plays like it has a little more bounce due to sole width. I don’t think the HMP and ZX5 are all that similar. I do like the changes Mizuno made with the Forged and HMP. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 1/22/2023 at 6:03 AM, dmeeksDC said:

Saw a full set of 923 Forged yesterday and was able to compare them in hand to the HMP. Both irons look great. The main difference between them is the HMP is a slightly longer blade length but not all that noticeable. The HMP sole is noticeably wider than the Forged but it is not close to as wide as ZX5. The Forged looks closer to the 923 Tour than the HM line for sure. ZX5 is a chunkier iron, which is not a bad thing, it just depends on what you like. 

The long irons in the HMP look very nice, improved look from from

address over the 921 HMP. 

One thing in comparing these Mizuno heads to the Srixons is the Mizunos are much lower bounce in general, though the HMP probably plays like it has a little more bounce due to sole width. I don’t think the HMP and ZX5 are all that similar. I do like the changes Mizuno made with the Forged and HMP. 

I bought the 923 HMP 1° and 2° weak.

They feel very good; very soft feeling and very forgiving.

I am going to stick with the 921 Forged tho. Thinner topline, slightly better feel and the put off for the 923 HMPs is the back of the club is visible from the 7-iron down the line. Just too bulky for my liking.

The 923 Forged are tempting, but Mizuno did so much right with the 921 Forged that I’m sticking with them this year again. Just a great iron!

Over all another great JPX lineup for 2023!

Rox

• Like 1

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

8 hours ago, roxald said:

I bought the 923 HMP 1° and 2° weak.

They feel very good; very soft feeling and very forgiving.

I am going to stick with the 921 Forged tho. Thinner topline, slightly better feel and the put off for the 923 HMPs is the back of the club is visible from the 7-iron down the line. Just too bulky for my liking.

The 923 Forged are tempting, but Mizuno did so much right with the 921 Forged that I’m sticking with them this year again. Just a great iron!

Over all another great JPX lineup for 2023!

Rox

Do you lean the shaft forward at address?  You should not see the back of the HMP 7 iron at address. 

Edited by Wooderson

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

6 minutes ago, Seidinho said:

Nice. Thoughts?

I haven't hit a Mizuno Forged in awhile. I sort of remember thinking the 921 Forged as feeling very soft.

The 923 Forged didn't feel as soft as I thought it would have.

My fitting came down to either the 923 Forged or the TaylorMade P770.

Different iron category. The fitter didn't even offer me the P770. He had me hit the P790.

I'm a low spin iron player, and these stronger lofted irons just don't spin enough for me, and have lower landing angles.

I asked to hit the P770, and the spin was up almost 500 RPM and the landing angle was up almost 2* on average, to above 45*.

P770 has 3* more loft.

I'm going back on Saturday to hit them both again outside on their range. Today was indoors on Trackman.

• Like 1

I just reached out to my fitter and he is still waiting on the full fitting cart from Mizuno. He said there is another OEM he is waiting on as that he wants to have before I come in which I think is Srixon. 

• Like 1

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

6 hours ago, this_is_golf said:

Why did you end up choosing the Forged?

Most of my thoughts are in the 923 forged thread that’s also on the top page of the forum. But in a nutshell: 

Extremely forgiving, even for a forged iron with that profile. Spin was higher than HMPro, and the distance wasn’t that much different. In the 6 iron I tested, HMPro is 28.5, the forged is 30 degrees. And lofts and bottom of the irons are a big concern for me, as I don’t want to carry too many wedges. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, renobleiii said:

Most of my thoughts are in the 923 forged thread that’s also on the top page of the forum. But in a nutshell: 

Extremely forgiving, even for a forged iron with that profile. Spin was higher than HMPro, and the distance wasn’t that much different. In the 6 iron I tested, HMPro is 28.5, the forged is 30 degrees. And lofts and bottom of the irons are a big concern for me, as I don’t want to carry too many wedges. 

What was the head size difference between forged and HMP?

1 hour ago, 9ironiscash said:

Has anyone directly compared the 2022 cobra forged Tecs to the 923 HMP? I currently game the cobra and do love them. Decent ball striker high single digit cap. I have just always loves mizzy irons and wouldn’t mind one more club distance. Did you find the spin drop was too much to hold greens? 

There was no spin drop for me compared to similar irons. They spin fine, flight is high and descent angle is steep. I didn’t play the Cobras but there is only 1 degree stronger lofts on the 923 HMP 7 iron (28.5 vs 29.5) and you can order them adjusted to the same lofts as the Cobras if you like. So may not be a club more distance in the HMP though I do think they are a bit sleeker in profile compared to the Cobras. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 1/24/2023 at 3:25 PM, gdb99 said:

I haven't hit a Mizuno Forged in awhile. I sort of remember thinking the 921 Forged as feeling very soft.

The 923 Forged didn't feel as soft as I thought it would have.

My fitting came down to either the 923 Forged or the TaylorMade P770.

Different iron category. The fitter didn't even offer me the P770. He had me hit the P790.

I'm a low spin iron player, and these stronger lofted irons just don't spin enough for me, and have lower landing angles.

I asked to hit the P770, and the spin was up almost 500 RPM and the landing angle was up almost 2* on average, to above 45*.

P770 has 3* more loft.

I'm going back on Saturday to hit them both again outside on their range. Today was indoors on Trackman.

I also hit the p770s and the 923 Forged yesterday at a fitting. Compared them to my current gamers the ZX7 with modus 120s. Used project X 6.0 and c tapers. SS 90-92 with a 6 iron. ball striking was pretty good for me yesterday.

Flights, spin and descent angles were actually higher with the jpx 923 forged even with the c tapers. I couldn't get over the feel of the p770s. Distance was about 172 carry with the P770, 174 for the ZX7 and 178 for the 923a.

The forged look pretty good for a more forgiving, long iron and even with the lofts i was getting 300 more rpm with the 923F compared to the ZX7s. P770s had similar spin.

That being said I've never had a problem stopping the ZX7s on a green.

Still, 923 forged are ordered.

• Like 2

I’m really on the fence about the 923 Forged. I have the 923 HMP but want something that feels more responsive (more feedback), less mushy and has a smaller sole, especially in long irons. Anyone know how much of a difference in the feel of the forged?  maybe a comparison from the 921 Forged as the 923 isn’t shipping in US yet. 

I also imagine the 923F 8-PW might feel different than 7 iron which most people demo. Am I right that the 921 Forged was chromoly throughout the set vs the 923 has 1025E mild carbon steel in the scoring irons?

Edited by Lftygolfnut
Add info.

I dug through this whole thread looking for what's the right club to compare to my ZX5.

When I did the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer for s&g's yesterday, the fitter asked what i currently play to figure out what head to use. Afterward he said he put on the HMP.  

They look to be about the same size.  I hit the ZX5s fine through the 6-iron. The 5 iron is my line of demarcation where things get a little shaky.  Iron play is the best aspect of my game. (My par 3 scoring on The Grint is well above my handicap average and it's a running joke in my golf group that I always make money from them on par 3's)  My ball flight with the Srixons is high and straight or a slight draw.  At a 14, I dont want to bag something that is less forgiving.  I just couldn't tell in a bay if the HMP are the same as the ZX5 or less demanding.

I'm right on the fence of getting the HMP or HMs.  Or even potentially a combo set with HM 5-7s and HMP 8-PW....

Thoughts?

Edited by mantan

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

On 2/3/2023 at 10:03 AM, Lftygolfnut said:

I’m really on the fence about the 923 Forged. I have the 923 HMP but want something that feels more responsive (more feedback), less mushy and has a smaller sole, especially in long irons. Anyone know how much of a difference in the feel of the forged?  maybe a comparison from the 921 Forged as the 923 isn’t shipping in US yet. 

I also imagine the 923F 8-PW might feel different than 7 iron which most people demo. Am I right that the 921 Forged was chromoly throughout the set vs the 923 has 1025E mild carbon steel in the scoring irons?

I’m also curious about the 2 different metals in the forged. My main concern is if it creates a gapping issue. 

12 hours ago, mantan said:

I dug through this whole thread looking for what's the right club to compare to my ZX5.

When I did the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer for s&g's yesterday, the fitter asked what i currently play to figure out what head to use. Afterward he said he put on the HMP.  

They look to be about the same size.  I hit the ZX5s fine through the 6-iron. The 5 iron is my line of demarcation where things get a little shaky.  Iron play is the best aspect of my game. (My par 3 scoring on The Grint is well above my handicap average and it's a running joke in my golf group that I always make money from them on par 3's)  My ball flight with the Srixons is high and straight or a slight draw.  At a 14, I dont want to bag something that is less forgiving.  I just couldn't tell in a bay if the HMP are the same as the ZX5 or less demanding.

I'm right on the fence of getting the HMP or HMs.  Or even potentially a combo set with HM 5-7s and HMP 8-PW....

Thoughts?

I currently have gamed the zx5 for the past 2 seasons. I love them. I was just looking for something new.

I went with the HMP. The HM were a little too big for my eye. I had no issues hitting the HMP and felt the forgiveness was better all across the face. Dispersion was good and they felt great! I can't wait to put them into play.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

22 hours ago, mantan said:

Thoughts?

TBH, I think this is a parallel move from ZX5 to HMP. I don’t think the potential forgiveness increase, if there is any, will be worth the cost to buy new HMP irons. I haven’t hit the new HMP but owned the 921 HMP for a brief period. I own the ZX5 mark II and they seem about the same from memory. 

The other factor to consider is the change in sole geometry. How will that impact your game once your on grass? 

For what’s it’s worth, I struggle with the ZX5 5 iron as well. It’s loft is equivalent of a 4 iron which explains a lot of the struggle if you’re not blessed with speed. 

It might be worth considering just ordering a new ZX4 5 iron with a slightly lighter shaft. I’m contemplating that move as well. 

• Like 1

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

2 hours ago, Jmccas said:

TBH, I think this is a parallel move from ZX5 to HMP. I don’t think the potential forgiveness increase, if there is any, will be worth the cost to buy new HMP irons. I haven’t hit the new HMP but owned the 921 HMP for a brief period. I own the ZX5 mark II and they seem about the same from memory. 

The other factor to consider is the change in sole geometry. How will that impact your game once your on grass? 

For what’s it’s worth, I struggle with the ZX5 5 iron as well. It’s loft is equivalent of a 4 iron which explains a lot of the struggle if you’re not blessed with speed. 

It might be worth considering just ordering a new ZX4 5 iron with a slightly lighter shaft. I’m contemplating that move as well. 

The sole part is a good point.  The V-sole is phenomenal.  I think Mizuno used to market a Tricut sole, but the v-sole is in a league of its own. 

I am going to switch for this season….may end up switching back. 

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I’m scratching my head - the HL version seems to do it all from everything I’m seeing out there on the web. If you can get over the looks and fatter sole … why wouldn’t you take more spin, way more forgiveness, better launch, and a better landing angle …  all without adding the crazy distance that has always been the gripe about game improvement irons. The HL version seems to me could be gamed by absolutely anyone who is willing to check their ego at the door?

What am I missing?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CMoore2J said:

I’m scratching my head - the HL version seems to do it all from everything I’m seeing out there on the web. If you can get over the looks and fatter sole … why wouldn’t you take more spin, way more forgiveness, better launch, and a better landing angle …  all without adding the crazy distance that has always been the gripe about game improvement irons. The HL version seems to me could be gamed by absolutely anyone who is willing to check their ego at the door?

What am I missing?

This does seem to make sense and I thought this when they came out as well. I suspect more companies will end up making high lift versions of clubs. But, they are bigger heads with offset and some people just don’t like that. That’s where the HMP comes in I think. Forgiveness in a smaller package and very little offset. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, benz5521 said:

This does seem to make sense and I thought this when they came out as well. I suspect more companies will end up making high lift versions of clubs. But, they are bigger heads with offset and some people just don’t like that. That’s where the HMP comes in I think. Forgiveness in a smaller package and very little offset. 

But the HMP has stronger lofts, no? I guess you could get them weak. But in mizuno time that takes 4 months 🙂 

HMP PW is 42.5°

HMHL PW is 45°

big jump. 

Edited by CMoore2J