2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2022 HSBC Women's World Championship, March 3-6

18majors

2 hours ago, woahnelly said:

Oh yes I follow the EPL, my dad brainwashed me as a child to follow football since is a London transplant.

That is a clever way to describe Norwichs chances at EPL survival each time they get promoted. There's just No Fn Chance of staying up

I suppose it could be worse  --- could be a Spurs fan. 🙂   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, woahnelly said:

Oh yes I follow the EPL, my dad brainwashed me as a child to follow football since is a London transplant.

That is a clever way to describe Norwichs chances at EPL survival each time they get promoted. There's just No Fn Chance of staying up 🙃

I wouldn't apply it to Yealimi though. 

Who do you follow in the EPL?

My parents were from London, I am a Chelsea fan from the early 70's (so not a Roman band-wagon jumper). Interesting times for us what with Russia's aggression (for those without much knowledge of English football/soccer, Chelsea is owned by Roman Abramovich, a wealthy Russian oligarch who bought the club in 2003, ploughed $ into player transfers and we have been the most successful English team since then).

• Like 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

1 hour ago, Golf Dino said:

So you are secretly a Canaries fan!   Didn't Delia pass away recently or within the past year or so?   I remember seeing her on match day in the stands at Carrow Road leading the fans in a cheer!  

@Golf Dino Am a Liverpool fan🏆 (since the 1980s)...

Fabulous League Cup final over the weekend!

💥Have you seen this cheeky LFC "Boom" video?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CB33POCKSFG/

..p/s: commiserations to @Rapidcat... maybe this David Squires cartoon will put a smile on your face! (And i respect Tommy Tuchel your Chelsea FC manager & his responses to the unending questions!)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2022/mar/01/david-squires-on-football-response-to-russia-invasion-of-ukraine

====

@Golf Dino

Delia = still alive & kicking (i think).  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delia_Smith 

Didn't know that Delia (together with Michael Wynn-Jones) = the custodians/ joint majority shareholders of Norwich City FC (i.e. more than "just an ordinary fan" shouting "Let's Be Having You!" to gee-up the supporters)

=====

..p/s: Anybody following the Pro-Am today, at the HSBC WWC?

.e. pls share, if you know any Links with updates?

I've seen only this from previous year: https://www.hsbcgolf.com/womens/video-highlights/hsbc-pro-am-results 

Lots of photos of the HSBC WWC = recently uploaded here (incl Hinako Shibuno the Smiling Cinderella! What an engaging 'million-dollar smile' she has!)

https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/womens-world-championship-previews?assettype=image&sort=mostpopular&phrase=womens world championship previews&license=rf%2Crm&recency=last7days

hinako-shibuno-of-japan-reacts-after-pla

minjee-lee-of-australia-plays-her-shot-f

lydia-ko-of-new-zealand-plays-her-shot-f

nasa-hataoka-of-japan-plays-her-second-s

charley-hull-of-england-plays-her-shot-f

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rapidcat said:

Who do you follow in the EPL?

My parents were from London, I am a Chelsea fan from the early 70's (so not a Roman band-wagon jumper). Interesting times for us what with Russia's aggression (for those without much knowledge of English football/soccer, Chelsea is owned by Roman Abramovich, a wealthy Russian oligarch who bought the club in 2003, ploughed $ into player transfers and we have been the most successful English team since then).

Hilarious you mentioned that, my dad is/was a life long Charlton Athletic/ Chelsea fan but now jumped ship bc of the Roman/Putin connection. He said he's now rooting for Everton...? My younger sister is even named Chelsea! 

Really dad? Not Spurs, Fulham, Palace QPR, West Ham etc... NOPE.

I'm a Man Utd fan myself, although I don't bleed Red like I used to from the glory Ferguson days.  STILL waiting for a competent manager to replace him. Seemed like they were grooming Giggs for the job forever but it never panned out. 

Edited by woahnelly
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, woahnelly said:

Hilarious you mentioned that, my dad is/was a life long Charlton Athletic/ Chelsea fan but now jumped ship bc of the Roman/Putin connection. He said he's now rooting for Everton...? My younger sister is even named Chelsea! 

Really dad? Not Spurs, Fulham, Palace QPR, West Ham etc... NOPE.

I'm a Man Utd fan myself, although I don't bleed Red like I used to from the glory Ferguson days.  STILL waiting for a competent manager to replace him. Seemed like they were grooming Giggs for the job forever but it never panned out. 

Your dad goes from Chelsea to Everton....wow, at least he's got Frank managing for a Chelsea connection (sorry, but that won't end well, though).

Brentford would have to be a good London 'ship jumper's' choice, nice community club, boutique stadium and play attractive football, hope they stay up.

• Like 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

38 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

Your dad goes from Chelsea to Everton....wow, at least he's got Frank managing for a Chelsea connection (sorry, but that won't end well, though).

Brentford would have to be a good London 'ship jumper's' choice, nice community club, boutique stadium and play attractive football, hope they stay up.

Yea not sure why came to that conclusion, the geography doesn't add up. 

I think now he mainly roots form which ever team has the most English players. So he hates Wolves for certain. 

Edited by woahnelly
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

Well at least there's the local cuisine for them to enjoy if they get rained out:

Thunderstorms arrived today in SG like 'clockwork' around 2-3pm

(so the Pro-Am was suspended due to Lightning warnings)... 

Seen any interesting insta-stories from the players, whilst taking shelter in the Players Lounge?

Weather_SG_Hourly_Screenshot_2022-03-02_3PM.png

8 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

.p/s: commiserations to @Rapidcat... maybe this David Squires cartoon will put a smile on your face! (And i respect Tommy Tuchel your Chelsea FC manager & his responses to the unending questions!)

Looks as if Chelsea is now up for sale as Abromovich appears to be having a fire sale:

https://bit.ly/3vxVZsZ

https://bbc.in/3Cbb2KG 

And with that, this thread should return to Golf for the remainder . . . though I would enjoy a pint chatting about football.

As for the HSBC . . . I am thinking that Inbee could have a good week here.  She is flying under the radar and she seems serious, but relaxed so that could be a potent combination for her . . . especially if her putter warms up in the Singapore heat.  

• Like 2

After three tournaments, 2022 already feels very different than 2021.  

2022 Leading Rolex Points as of Monday February 28, 2022:

1.      Danielle Kang                            64.60
  2.      Lydia Ko                                     60.18
  3.      Leona Maguire                          48.54
  4.      Lexi Thompson                         38.24
  5.      Brooke Henderson                   34.53
  6.      Yuka Saso                                 28.60                       

15 minutes ago, woahnelly said:

@18majors

Putting yealimi in my DFS lineup! 

50k budget 

Smile Queen 9000

Assassin 8900

Jeeno 8700

Lucky6 8500

Nohstradamus 7500

Cinderella 7400

See you at the high roller Craps table in Macau

That's Minjee, Hyo Joo, Atthaya, 6ix, Yealimi and Hinako;  good picks!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Coming in a tad late with Hannah Green for the win and Amy Yang for a dark horse(I feel she has reached dark horse territory these days). Was gonna go with Xi Yu Lin for the W, but she's already in action.

Hannah Green is hitting well. (This GIF= from yesterday Pro-Am)

4DFCD65F-1E66-4D4E-BBD5-9BC3E5989786.gif

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KBong said:

The course will be playing wet and long.

So I'm pick 2 players with power and a good GIR this year.

So my picks are BLADES and ECP.

I think JYK will be rusty.

STOP THE PRESSES!  KBong picking the ECP?!?!!!!!!!!  (needs more !!!!!!!!!!!!!s)

You might be right though.  Go Brooke!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, postfold said:

STOP THE PRESSES!  KBong picking the ECP?!?!!!!!!!!  (needs more !!!!!!!!!!!!!s)

Brooke says she ❤️’s Sentosa? Does anybody have a record of her previous finishes in the HSBC WWC in Singapore? ie has she performed well previously/playing well recently?

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cahkzd7rg5B/

..Edit: Found a quote from LPGA.com , ie realised she hasn’t been in Singapore for past 3 years… 

https://www.lpga.com/news/2022/henderson-and-kang-ready-to-take-on-asias-young-guns-at-hsbc-womens-world-championship-at-sentosa

Quote: “Leading the North American challenge will be Canada’s Brooke Henderson and Danielle Kang of the U.S. The two major winners will see the stunning vistas of Sentosa as the perfect place to get their year off to a winning start, having both had to settle for a share of second place behind Michelle Wie in 2018.

Henderson, who posted seven top-ten finishes in 2021, including a 10th career win at the LA Open said: “I’m looking forward to getting back to Singapore to play the HSBC Women’s World Championship. It’ll be three years since I last played the tournament but it’s a great course and one of the best championships we get to play on Tour. I know all the players are really pleased to see it on the schedule again this year, so a big shout-out to everyone there that’s making it happen. We really appreciate it!”

27 minutes ago, KBong said:

The course will be playing wet and long.

So I'm pick 2 players with power and a good GIR this year.

So my picks are BLADES and ECP.

I think JYK will be rusty.

Edited by JungleJimbo

12 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

Brooke says she ❤️’s Sentosa? Does anybody have a record of her previous finishes in the HSBC WWC in Singapore? ie has she performed well previously/playing well recently?

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cahkzd7rg5B/

..Edit: Found a quote from LPGA.com , ie realised she hasn’t been in Singapore for past 3 years… 

https://www.lpga.com/news/2022/henderson-and-kang-ready-to-take-on-asias-young-guns-at-hsbc-womens-world-championship-at-sentosa

Isn't this a new course this year???....a remodelled course at Sentosa???

4 minutes ago, KBong said:

Isn't this a new course this year???....a remodelled course at Sentosa???

Sentosa’s “New Tanjong”= remodeled in 2016 ie much better since it has matured (a bit)

https://www.golfasian.com/golf-courses/singapore-golf-courses/sentosa-golf-club-tanjong-course/

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, postfold said:

There's a difference in picking with your brain vs. heart.

I would never root for ECP unless she's trying to beat some UNLIKEABLE Americans like Nelly, SNaP, SNaP V2, Kang, Crusty, Xtina, Creamer & Wie

• Haha 4

Glad to see the ladies back out there. PGA's been kind of a snoozefest.

As usual, gotta be pulling for my UCLA girl Patty T! 

• Like 4

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

On 3/1/2022 at 8:59 PM, JungleJimbo said:

Have you guys who've played in Asia ever noticed the "Chilli & Onions" planted near the first tee box, as a so-called "Rain, Rain, Stay Away" magic spell/invocation?

More details: See #8 in this List.  https://thesmartlocal.com/read/singapore-urban-legends/

Chilli-Onions_SmartLocal_SG-Anti-Rain_Screenshot.png

The "Chilli & Onions" planted near the tournament's first tee box seem to have worked, to keep the rains away today (or the cloud seeding, to expedite/ "clear the raincloud bladders" before the tournament proper).

There were torrential thunderstorms/ localised flash-flooding across Singapore yesterday evening (albeit not as serious as observed elsewhere recently, e.g. Australia!)

... but an improved weather forecast today (fingers crossed!)🤞

⛈️Floods photos: https://mothership.sg/2022/03/most-perfect-rainbow-march-2022/

..https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/risk-of-flash-floods-in-tanjong-pagar-road-and-teck-whye-lane-among-other-places-due-to-heavy-rain

SG-floods_Screenshot_2022-03-02.png

Rainbow-Double_Mothership_Screenshot_2022-03-03.png

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1