Ping PLD Custom Program

dlow206

1 minute ago, Eston said:

I think dwboston is being unreasonable. I told my fitter to take as much time as needed to accomplish my putter design. The fact that you received a swag bag was above any other custom putter fitter in my opinion. Good things come to those whom wait. Also, PING sends these putters for satin finish to a third party so who knows if the the third party is the delay.  Give them a break as this this a custom program that is in its infancy. 

You're entitled to your opinion.  This isn't my first rodeo with a custom putter or delays.  And I've received extra stuff before from other custom putter makers when stuff was delayed.

I didn't say this was a bad experience, just different than the ones others have posted here and raved about, which is frustrating.  

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

Somewhat agree but a two month wait with several promised delivery dates would chap my cheeks too and don’t believe he is unreasonable in his expectations.

Edited by Motoboss

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

2 hours ago, dwboston said:

Once again I'm hesitant to post this, but I want to be balanced about my experience with PLD.  My biggest issue with the PLD program is the variance in customer experience, which appears to be very tied to which fitter you get.  My order was placed two months ago and I still haven't received the putter, or even a picture of it.  I've inquired a couple of times about the status.  I was told in mid-June that my putter was delayed more than a month due to staffing availability, then have seen others posting similar Anser-variant putters they received (or at least have pictures of) during that timeframe.   I did receive some Ping swag a month ago as an apology for the delay, which I appreciated, but I'd rather have the putter.  I was told on 7/13 that they would get it done in 1.5 to two weeks.  I was told this week it would ship Thursday or Friday.  Neither of those timeframes were met. I didn't realize that a satin finish on a stainless putter would be so challenging.

I get that things don't always go according to plan and stuff happens.  I think I'm a reasonably patient person, but it's frustrating to see post after post of people raving about the experience and how proactive and engaged their fitter has been, which hasn't necessarily been my experience.    

Definitely a valid opinion and I can understand how you’d be frustrated. I respect you for taking the high road and not naming your fitter as it is likely something out of his control. I hope you get your putter soon! 

8 hours ago, Humble said:

What did you order?

It's an Anser 4 (Anser 2 head), stainless steel, sight dot on topline, satin finish, medium face milling, minimal engraving.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

3 hours ago, dwboston said:

It's an Anser 4 (Anser 2 head), stainless steel, sight dot on topline, satin finish, medium face milling, minimal engraving.

Doesn’t sound like anything extraordinary over-the-top so I too don’t understand the long delay. Huuummmm

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

16 minutes ago, Motoboss said:

Doesn’t sound like anything extraordinary over-the-top so I too don’t understand the long delay. Huuummmm

Who knows with all the supply issue going on this day in age. I’ve been in that position and it’s surely frustrating but at the end of the day you’re gonna have an amazing one of a kind product. 

Ping is truly doing something cool , hopefully it motivates some other heavy hitters into this.

I'm signed up for my virtual fit on Aug 9. Pretty psyched about it, too.

This thread is getting me even more psyched! 

• Like 4

TSi3 9.0 (A4)  Tensei Raw Blue 65 Stiff 

TS2 15 (B1) Project X Even Flow White 75 6.0
TS3 19 (C4) Project X Even Flow White 90 6.0
i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Glide Forged Pro (52/56/60) DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
Pro V1x Yellow 

On 6/14/2022 at 10:27 AM, -MG- said:

Thought I would add my carbon Tyne model. I have a very slight arc and the double bend was offered, but in general it feels like they can make almost any head work for your stroke.

weight was determined on the tempo part of the app.

the line choice is my personal preference as it’s what helps me see the line the best. They are 1/8 thick versus standard 1/16.

pictures will make it look slick as I was just putting a coat of Eezox on.

I would also be willing to part ways with the mallet headcover if someone wants to DM me.

E5983BB7-917F-4098-8B00-378D319A8855.jpeg

D7793AEE-B125-4076-819F-4E7D4BA3BECA.jpeg

77843B1E-6AC9-4AC4-A9AD-8A0A7B962917.jpeg

That is just bad a**.  I’ve been eyeing the Tyne and assuming/hoping they could do something for a very slight arc.

How does the carbon feel vs stainless?

Edited by JZ75

Had the virtual fitting with Alex , great experience. He’s very knowledgeable and a great process. Going with an Anser 2d carbon. They told me approximately 4-5 weeks possibly a little bit faster since they don’t have to put any tungsten into the putter.

carbon available finishes are patina and matte black. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Golfing Greg said:

My putter came in! Anser shape with flow neck (Anser 4j prototype). The bottom is blank, I didn't go with any engraving. I rolled some yesterday and love the firmness of the face. Alex's communication throughout the process was amazing. Thank you!

Timeline:

5/26 - Fitting, estimated that the Anser 4j head would be ready mid June

6/6 - Final decision (went back and forth about finish options)

6/24 - Anser 4j head made

Sometime between 6/24 and 7/15 the 15g of tungsten was added, loft and lie adjusted, and alignment line engraved

7/15 - Shipped to TX for coating

7/29 - Sent back to PING for shaft

7/31 - delivered

B23AF6AD-7F9A-4ADC-9579-B5FEF858FCEA.jpeg

2D4F07E4-65CA-49C4-BEF5-D118B60F2081.jpeg

D2FDA942-6FC1-459B-81A9-3C7B1DCC6EB4.jpeg

gorgeous!!! love the neck on it

Driver Taylormade Qi10

3W Ping G430 LST 5W Callaway Apex UW 

4i Mizuno Fli Hi 5-PW Ping Blueprint S

GW 50 Ping Glide 4.0 SW 56 Vokey S LW 62 Vokey M

Putters Kevin Burns 9306 Ball Titleist Pro V1

1 hour ago, Golfing Greg said:

My putter came in! Anser shape with flow neck (Anser 4j prototype). The bottom is blank, I didn't go with any engraving. I rolled some yesterday and love the firmness of the face. Alex's communication throughout the process was amazing. Thank you!

Timeline:

Sometime between 6/24 and 7/15 the 15g of tungsten was added, loft and lie adjusted, and alignment line engraved

7/31 - delivered

So what is Anser 4J exactly? It's an Anser with a #4 neck obviously but what is the J for? 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

7 hours ago, MattM97 said:

So what is Anser 4J exactly? It's an Anser with a #4 neck obviously but what is the J for? 

From my fitter:  Just what they're calling the flow neck version.  J for John (Solheim).  It was a proto and John Solheim was gaming it so they called it the 4J. 

Titleist TSR3 9 - Diamana GT 60 tx

Titleist TSi3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 tx

Mizuno Pro 223 $ Taper HT 130x

Vokey SM7 50F, 55S KBS Hi Rev 2.0 135x

Vokey SM9 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125x

Ping PLD Kushin 4/TP Mills Dale/TP Mills Nellie

Pro V1

8 hours ago, Golfing Greg said:

Timeline:

7/31 - delivered

Congrats man!!  That copper finish is so good.  How do you anticipate the patina to develop?

Pro V1

2 minutes ago, hwwong said:

From my fitter:  Just what they're calling the flow neck version.  J for John (Solheim).  It was a proto and John Solheim was gaming it so they called it the 4J. 

Well that just makes Ping have the most confusing naming ever. But still a very nice putter among the others they have been putting out. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

1 minute ago, MattM97 said:

Well that just makes Ping have the most confusing naming ever. But still a very nice putter among the others they have been putting out. 

Prototype mystery!  I am glad the list of putters is growing. 

• Like 1

Pro V1

So how are these rolling for people, now that they have them in hand?

I'm really tempted.  Finally got to a decent stroke, feel like it's worth the investment and I'm a huge fan of original stuff others just don't have.  Not expensive per se, more mine...with my own design, etc.  

But it's gotta work, I don't buy stuff to be pretty on the wall or in the garage...

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

On 8/1/2022 at 12:36 PM, Humble said:

Had the virtual fitting with Alex , great experience. He’s very knowledgeable and a great process. Going with an Anser 2d carbon. They told me approximately 4-5 weeks possibly a little bit faster since they don’t have to put any tungsten into the putter.

carbon available finishes are patina and matte black. 

What is the head weight of the 2d?

7 minutes ago, Unteachable said:

What is the head weight of the 2d?

They start at 365g

Lefty - WITB Thread

10 hours ago, Golfing Greg said:

Timeline:

7/31 - delivered

As someone who is DEFINITELY wanting the Anser shape but is right between slight and strong arc, I'm very happy to know about the Anser 4J. 

I got my welcome kit and did my three sessions yesterday. Session one was messy (nervous?), but sessions 2 and 3 were way more consistent. Can anyone who's gone through the virtual fit speak a little on how the data from the putting sessions is used? Doe they overlay all three sessions on top of each other and look at averages? Do they look at your most consistent session and then look at your inconsistencies in other sessions as things they can look to address with specs?

Super excited for my virtual fit with Alex in one week!!!

i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Pro V1x Yellow 

This website is evil....

Scheduled and can't wait.  About to enter the serious putter game. Of course if it's just another anser (have 2) then I'll laugh and say...

Futurama Buy GIF

• Haha 3

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

These custom pings are $1200+.....

I just dont get it.......for me a Mills custom is so much better....$600 and you get a fully hand made custom putter in GSS (if that means anything to you).

to each his own...love ping putters but holy crap.....thats why id never get a cameron either,.......to me they are way over priced

39 minutes ago, tsecor said:

I just dont get it.......for me a Mills custom is so much better....$600 and you get a fully hand made custom putter in GSS (if that means anything to you).

to each his own...love ping putters but holy crap.....thats why id never get a cameron either,.......to me they are way over priced

It's basically a tour experience and tour putter for that which isn't bad when a lot of customs are pushing 1k now.

Plus I've heard generally nothing but praise about these putters and not really seeing any of them up for sale either. So Ping is doing something right. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

21 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

It's basically a tour experience and tour putter for that which isn't bad when a lot of customs are pushing 1k now.

Plus I've heard generally nothing but praise about these putters and not really seeing any of them up for sale either. So Ping is doing something right. 

would suggest Ping is doing a very good job of fitting putters to the player.

value for money is all relative I suppose, I mean heck an OTR big name driver costs you how much out the door these days? Use a driver a lot less than a putter. I’ve said it before I think it’s awesome Ping is offering this service, like Matt said it’s a tour level of fitting and custom putter to suit the individual and while way out my price bracket, I can really appreciate that they offer it. Very cool stuff.

Plus we get all these photos of really nice putters so everyone continue buying and posting photos here 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tsecor said:

I get where you're coming from on price. Mills putters are cool, and as long as you know what specs work for you, that's a great opportunity to get a usable piece of art.

To me, the value in PLD comes down to the depth of the fit and the possibility of coming up with a putter that works perfectly with what you do, especially if that putter is not being made for the retail market.

Now...I suppose if someone paid the $200 deposit, did their iPing sessions, did the fitting/consultation, and ended up getting basically fit into one of the Anser Milled putters that you can get at retail...I guess you could cut bait, order one of those, and be right around $650 for a custom fit putter and hold on to the $640 you saved for a rainy day.

• Like 2

i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Pro V1x Yellow 

I guess.....i am not a super proponet of the fitting process for anyone over a 5 HDCP anyway, especially with putting so to me personally, its not worth it....but like I said, to each his own.....

I think "fitting" has become so generic and turned into more of a marketing angle than anything else....i mean they have fitter at PGA superstores who are guys who leave the store and go home an BBQ all night and play to a 25 HDCP but show up to work and fit another guy who is a +20......

I went through a fitting from a tour pro who now works for Titleist and was fitted outdoors, on grass, on a pro course. Even played a few holes to see how i played from the rough and sand...i felt that was a real true "fitting". ended up with clubs that did nothing to improve my scoring.....only when i worked on my game and lowered my HDCP to a respectable level (4) did i understand how fitting can benefit the golfer...but by that time i needed a new fitting because my swing was so different.  iMO fittings, especially virtual fittings, are for marketing purposes mostly.  

if you have the $$ and love ping putters, enjoy the experience. I love ping putters as well, but not for 1200.  im not sure any club is worth 1200 unless its Rodney's putter from Caddyshack

1 hour ago, tsecor said:

I guess.....i am not a super proponet of the fitting process for anyone over a 5 HDCP anyway, especially with putting so to me personally, its not worth it....but like I said, to each his own.....

I think "fitting" has become so generic and turned into more of a marketing angle than anything else....i mean they have fitter at PGA superstores who are guys who leave the store and go home an BBQ all night and play to a 25 HDCP but show up to work and fit another guy who is a +20......

I went through a fitting from a tour pro who now works for Titleist and was fitted outdoors, on grass, on a pro course. Even played a few holes to see how i played from the rough and sand...i felt that was a real true "fitting". ended up with clubs that did nothing to improve my scoring.....only when i worked on my game and lowered my HDCP to a respectable level (4) did i understand how fitting can benefit the golfer...but by that time i needed a new fitting because my swing was so different.  iMO fittings, especially virtual fittings, are for marketing purposes mostly.  

if you have the $$ and love ping putters, enjoy the experience. I love ping putters as well, but not for 1200.  im not sure any club is worth 1200 unless its Rodney's putter from Caddyshack

Totally reasonable. If you balk at $1290 for a putter, nothing is going to change your mind.

I agree a million percent on your take on fitting. I work part-time (summers) at a golf shop and fit customers and see a lot of people get fit. To a certain extent, it's snake oil. The kinds of people who come in for custom fit clubs can't answer any questions about their games (what do you struggle with, what's your miss, what trajectory do you hit your current irons and what would you like to see a new iron do for you, etc...). A lot them answer, "I don't know! That's why I'm here!" or they come in and ask to get for the clubs that would be best for them...and then can't put together five decent swings out of 30. So yes, for a lot of people, fitting really probably just should be length and flex...and if they have a repeatable swing, lie angle, too.

I'm a putting nerd and love the idea of Ping's PLD fitting process. I'm very excited to hear what the fitter says about my tendencies, what kinds of things different spec tweaks can do to help with consistency, etc... I love working on my putting stroke and getting better. So for me? Worth it. 

• Like 2

i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Pro V1x Yellow