2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping PLD Custom Program

dlow206

Had my virtual fitting on Tuesday. Very insightful process. Talking to Alex, the slant neck fit my stroke the best. They have a few Anser 2 models with slant necks around, those are the Anser 4 models. Ping is experimenting with the Anser shape on a slant neck - and he said they are calling those “for now” the Anser J4 - just to distinguish it from the Anser 4 (Anser 2 shape). No Anser 2D with a slant neck. The Kushin 4 is so similar that I guess they are just sticking with that for the mid-Anser style with a slant neck.  

I went with the Oyster finish on stainless. Excited to see how it turns out. 

• Like 2

I just scheduled my virtual fitting for early July. I've been fortunate enough to have some email correspondence back and forth with Alex, so we've already come up with a pretty cool design. Now I just have to see what putter I am going to go with. Thinking a Anser with a flow neck will be the one but we will see!!

Titleist TS2 | Titleist 917 3W & 5W | Titleist T200 4-PW | Titleist Vokey SM6 48, 52 & 56 | Ping PLD Custom Anser | Titleist Pro V1/ Taylor Made TP5

Had my fitting on Tuesday and put my order in: 

Anser D

Carbon in Patina

PLD Prototype Graphite Shaft

I was amazed at how in-depth the fitting was for being a virtual fitting. Alex was very informative and showed me some of the "off the menu" putters that fit my stroke (Anser "30" longneck, Anser D). It was a really cool experience and I look forward to receiving my putter.

On 6/7/2022 at 10:16 PM, jdubya13 said:

i will happily ask to push for those models to be released

I asked about the Shea/Piper model, they wouldn’t outright confirm but did said potentially as the line grows. 

*fingers crossed*

Ping G430 10K w/ Black Tour 2.0 65X, 75X, or GDBB 6X

Ping G425 LST 3W Atmos Black 7X

Ping iCrossover 2 Atmos Black 9X or G425 5W GDBB8X/Atmos Black 8X or G425 2H Atmos Black HB 9X 

Ping iCrossover 3 (20º) AMT White S300 or ZZ65 or Atmos Black 9X

Ping i230 4-6 green dot, Blueprint S 7, Blueprint T 8, 9  AMT White S300

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 46ºSS, 50º SS, 54º ES, 58º ES TI S400

Putter - depends on the phase of the moon

Caddy - Snacks the Wheaten

I too went thru the fitting process. I’ve been gaming a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant since 2008 that I’ve sent back to Scotty to have refinished in the black. I actually started my fitting process prior to the release of the PLD program with Jeff. However my Mom was diagnosed with cancer so I had to put the project on hold. In April, I contacted Jeff and resumed the process. Since I already used a putter with min toe hang the “Anser 30” came to the fore front of our conversation. 

We had discussed putting a slant neck on the Anser D but the result would still be 45 degree of toe hang.  

I ended up ordering the Anser 30 in 303 Stainless with some custom stamping work intertwined with the engraving. I also ordered 360g weight so I will see if it comes with two tungsten holes per bumper. ???

Attached is a prototype photo of the Anser 30 “LongNeck” with 30 degrees of toe hang. 

C1F94376-9C76-46B1-B23E-46089D9515AD.png

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Eston said:

I too went thru the fitting process. I’ve been gaming a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant since 2008 that I’ve sent back to Scotty to have refinished in the black. I actually started my fitting process prior to the release of the PLD program with Jeff. However my Mom was diagnosed with cancer so I had to put the project on hold. In April, I contacted Jeff and resumed the process. Since I already used a putter with min toe hang the “Anser 30” came to the fore front of our conversation. 

We had discussed putting a slant neck on the Anser D but the result would still be 45 degree of toe hang.  

I ended up ordering the Anser 30 in 303 Stainless with some custom stamping work intertwined with the engraving. I also ordered 360g weight so I will see if it comes with two tungsten holes per bumper. ???

Attached is a prototype photo of the Anser 30 “LongNeck” with 30 degrees of toe hang. 

C1F94376-9C76-46B1-B23E-46089D9515AD.png

Anser 30 looks great. Know if it has a tri-sole?

Driver: Taylormade Sim 9* w/ Ventus Red TR 6x

3-wood: Taylormade Sim Max 15* w/ Ventus Red 7x

5-wood: Taylormade Sim w/ Tour AD DI 7x

Driving Iron: Srixon ZX (3-iron)

Irons: Srixon ZX 7 (4 - 9 iron)

Wedges:  Ping Glide 4.0 Raw 46*, 50*, 56*  

Putter: Odyssey O-works 3T or Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Rat or Odyssey 7 Bird 

Golf Ball: '24 Titleist AVX

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet 2 wraps

9 hours ago, -MG- said:

Thought I would add my carbon Tyne model. I have a very slight arc and the double bend was offered, but in general it feels like they can make almost any head work for your stroke.

weight was determined on the tempo part of the app.

the line choice is my personal preference as it’s what helps me see the line the best. They are 1/8 thick versus standard 1/16.

pictures will make it look slick as I was just putting a coat of Eezox on.

I would also be willing to part ways with the mallet headcover if someone wants to DM me.

E5983BB7-917F-4098-8B00-378D319A8855.jpeg

D7793AEE-B125-4076-819F-4E7D4BA3BECA.jpeg

77843B1E-6AC9-4AC4-A9AD-8A0A7B962917.jpeg

That looks amazing. Some quick questions for you because I'm getting the patina finish too: what's the best way to apply eezox? Do you just spray it on and let it sit or do you spray it on and wipe it down? How does the patina finish look after the eezox dries?

10 minutes ago, Eidelweiss said:

That looks amazing. Some quick questions for you because I'm getting the patina finish too: what's the best way to apply eezox? Do you just spray it on and let it sit or do you spray it on and wipe it down? How does the patina finish look after the eezox dries?

spray it on a cloth then rub it on and let dry. Some posts have indicated that if you spray it on directly and let sit it will remove some paint fill.

I found it looks exactly like I got it since applying this every now and then and keeping it dry.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, payerasjl said:

DS72 coming in black carbon. Jeff was awesome to work with and I learned slot about my stroke and tendencies. Was surprised to find I do have a slight arc on it, no matter how SBST I think I am. 

going to be a great summer rolling that thing. Will update with pictures once I receive. 

I was surprised to find out about my stroke type also. I thought I would test for a straight stroke as I'm pretty SBST, but I tested for a strong arc. Alex explained to me that stroke type means how much face rotation you have throughout the stroke, not actual stroke motion. I had no idea!

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 2:47 PM, firegolf64 said:

Just signed up for a virtual fitting at the end of July.  Super excited! I’m leaning towards stainless with either mid to deep milling. Any input from those of you who have already been through the process?

Jeff said deep mill was overwhelmingly the most popular mill option. 

Certain hosels only come in certain colors so depending on material it could clash with your desired aesthetics. Example: plumbers only in black so if I’d have wanted satin carbon head it would have had to have a black neck which I wasn’t a fan of in that particular case. Ended up all black for that particular reason 

6 hours ago, Unteachable said:

What is the widest blade that ping makes?

I can’t get a good idea from these pictures the difference between the kushin 4 and anser d and all the others. 
anything as wide as a taylormade del monte or Bettinardi ss28?

From my fitting they told me that the Anser D was wider than the Kushin, and the Kushin is a bit smaller than the 2021 Kushin 4 they have out on retail. Hope that helps a little bit.

• Like 1

I'm hesitant to post this, but I want to be balanced about my PLD custom experience so far.  I've ordered several putters from different boutique putter makers over the years, so I know the drill, but after seeing the putters, pictures, and updates in this thread I let my optimism get the best of me.  I had my virtual fitting on 5/27, finalized over the next couple of days, and paid in full on 6/1.  I hadn't heard anything since then, so I sent an email to my fitter on 6/16 to see if there were any updates.  I got a response this morning that my putter has been delayed.  Apparently there's only one machinist who can do it, and that person is out on leave and the putter is "probably about a month out". 

I have no issues with the timeframe, if communicated as such up front.  I do have issues with no proactive communication on their part, not setting expectations, and the putter being wholly dependent on one person.  It's my fault for assuming that my timeframe would be similar to the other customs (including a lefty or two) I've seen here.  I realize they are doing a lot of fittings and custom putters, but for the price paid the communication needs to be better.

Edited by dwboston
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

27 minutes ago, dwboston said:

I'm hesitant to post this, but I want to be balanced about my PLD custom experience so far.  I've ordered several putters from different boutique putter makers over the years, so I know the drill, but after seeing the putters, pictures, and updates in this thread I let my optimism get the best of me.  I had my virtual fitting on 5/27, finalized over the next couple of days, and paid in full on 6/1.  I hadn't heard anything since then, so I sent an email to my fitter on 6/16 to see if there were any updates.  I got a response this morning that my putter has been delayed.  Apparently there's only one machinist who can do it, and that person is out on leave and the putter is "probably about a month out". 

I have no issues with the timeframe, if communicated as such up front.  I do have issues with no proactive communication on their part, not setting expectations, and the putter being wholly dependent on one person.  It's my fault for assuming that my timeframe would be similar to the other customs (including a lefty or two) I've seen here.  I realize they are doing a lot of fittings and custom putters, but for the price paid (and mine was an upcharge over the standard quoted amount) the communication needs to be better.

Would you mind sharing what options you selected that made your putter an upcharge over the standard price?

Titleist TS2 | Titleist 917 3W & 5W | Titleist T200 4-PW | Titleist Vokey SM6 48, 52 & 56 | Ping PLD Custom Anser | Titleist Pro V1/ Taylor Made TP5

1 hour ago, dmwilson09 said:

Would you mind sharing what options you selected that made your putter an upcharge over the standard price?

My mistake - after checking the original program charge and my final bill, there was no upcharge on my putter.  Sorry for the misstatement on my part.

Edited by dwboston

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

29 minutes ago, phatcatkev said:

Hi everyone - who is the best person to reach out to at Ping with questions? I couldn't find an email in my quick search..

I reached out to (consumersupport at ping dot com) and they were able to field most all of my PLD questions. They sent a few of my questions to one of the master fitters to double check but they were very helpful!