Ping PLD Custom Program

dlow206

2 hours ago, Motoboss said:

WOW, what a beauty!!! Awesome looking putter, Congratulations.

Thanks.  I absolutely love it.  Sometimes you just get lucky too. It wasn’t built for me , but it’s 100 % my specs down to length and the ping man small grip.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

17 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Thanks.  I absolutely love it.  Sometimes you just get lucky too. It wasn’t built for me , but it’s 100 % my specs down to length and the ping man small grip.  

Ok, that’s what I’ve been thinking, you got something not built for you. Have you been fitted before so you have your fitting specifications or just went with preferred putter experience?

What’s the weight of the head with the weights added?

Edited by Motoboss

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

1 hour ago, mwrdkc said:

Gorgeous! What head weight did you end up with?

I honestly don’t know.  But it feels like 335-340.  My only other putter is 349 on the nose and it’s identical grip etc and is noticeably heavier.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 5/13/2022 at 10:45 PM, Motoboss said:

Ok, that’s what I’ve been thinking, you got something not built for you. Have you been fitted before so you have your fitting specifications or just went with preferred putter experience?

What’s the weight of the head with the weights added?

Yep. It’s new as in not used. But not built for me. 

fitting wise.  No. And yes. 

yes. I’ve been on trackman putting and sam twice each.  During some bad putting result times.  Both with people I know outside of fittings.  All 4 times we’ve tried putters galore and never once came close to my old faithful in my signature.  Mostly due to the neck and toe hang.  But also because I hate alignment aides.  I’m right handed with left eye dominance.  Lines don’t point correctly for me. So I’m a face alignment guy.  All this got better after all that , whne I discovered putting with my weak eye closed.  But that’s another story. 

so yes. I’ve tried fittings. No I’ve never been fitted for a putter. It always comes up that the one I learned on is the best. That’s great on one hand oddly irritating on the other. You can’t go into a store and find a nearly 90 degree toe hang blade with no line.  Just doesn’t exist.  Consequently Nearly 0 fitters will have this as an option , and still fewer yet will have over 35 inches as an option.  The sweet spot for me is 35.5 to 35.75.  Always found that odd since a lot of taller pros play over 35 ( Rahm , P. Kazier just to make a few ). Took me years of lengthening incrementally to figure this out , and the supposed “ normal length “ assumptions is what held me up from trying  it right away.  so I guess in  a way I fit myself properly through  trial and error.  

Now , putters not close to that spec feel so foreign.  

this one fell into my lap , and it was close enough to try.  And I liked that it was lighter , assuming our greens get up to fast speeds soon.  I’ve always had a few contacts where I get some random cool ping stuff.  This was one of those right places right time , times. 

it’s a very nice putter at address. Alignment is no issue , and has a nice clicky sound which I prefer.  Last weekend I hit a lot of putts dead online.  Just wasn’t matching read to speed , so burning lips. Greens are slow right now. Which makes a lighter putter a bit of a mismatch.    I think this one will remain as a viable option . Although I may swap a YSC shaft into it that I have which will extend it to 35.75 from 35.5.   I historically prefer stepped shafts.  My other one has a head speed stepped , fluted  shaft.  Which is heavier and has some feel or softer tip  action to it.

Which all goes into my agreement that putting is an art , not a science.  Under the gun I make a lot of putts in competition.  And most are slick feel putts.  Which is why I’m so particular about a putter.  I see putts as more curves than straight lines.  A lot of putters tend to behave in a straight line manner , and under the gun , I just don’t have any feel with them.  

Sorry. Way more than you asked.  Just figured I’d try to explain that from me , praising a putter is a very high mark and a rare thing . This PLD anser is absolutely up to that mark.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

28 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I honestly don’t know.  But it feels like 335-340.  My only other putter is 349 on the nose and it’s identical grip etc and is noticeably heavier.  

It's definitely heavier than that with the plugs. The stock head weight on the PLD Anser without the tungsten is 340g. 

• PING G430 Max 10K 9* Tour 2.0 black 65X 
  • PING G430 Max 3w Tensei Raw Orange 75X
  • PING G410 19* Tour chrome 85X
  • NEW LEVEL 480-TC 4-PW X100 TI
  • NEW LEVEL SPN-SS 50*/54* X100 TI
  • NEW LEVEL SPN-VS 60* X100 TI
  • PING PLD Anser (Carbon Patina) PLD Graphite shaft
  • Bridgestone BX

19 minutes ago, FireRockAndy said:

It's definitely heavier than that with the plugs. The stock head weight on the PLD Anser without the tungsten is 340g. 

I wonder if they’re not aluminum plugs ?  To lighten it.  Anybody know if pings tungsten matches the stainless finish ? 

called ping and they couldn’t give me head weight info by the serial.  Said it pulled as a “ outside fitting “ for a player.  No mention of plugs or weight.  Just showed length at 35.25 and step less shaft on stainless anser.  

I’ve had a lot of early , odd and proto ping stuff. This call reminded me of the Time I called with a i500 3 iron that had a hand scribed serial and a machined pocket over the i500 emblem location. Their response was “ how’d you get that “. Lol.    Finally said it was built for Tony Finau.    So I guess the only way I’ll know is to pull it apart.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Sorry. Way more than you asked.  Just figured I’d try to explain that from me , praising a putter is a very high mark and a rare thing . This PLD anser is absolutely up to that mark.  

No, no not "too much information ". I appreciate the insight. I play an Ping Anser of one year or another and would be love a shot a "new" PLD Anser.
Really sensitive to weight with mine playing at 337, no site aids at a length of 36” so I feel you pain finding something off the rack. I just don’t see any options other than going all in for a Ping fitting and purchase other than being fortunate enough to come across one at my ideal specs.

Saving my money while keeping my eyes open 🙂 

Thanks again

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Motoboss said:

No, no not "too much information ". I appreciate the insight. I play an Ping Anser of one year or another and would be love a shot a "new" PLD Anser.
Really sensitive to weight with mine playing at 337, no site aids at a length of 36” so I feel you pain finding something off the rack. I just don’t see any options other than going all in for a Ping fitting and purchase other than being fortunate enough to come across one at my ideal specs.

Saving my money while keeping my eyes open 🙂 

Thanks again

Thank you sir.  I often get the TLDR ( too long didnt read ) response. Lol. So I appreciate that you got what I was trying to say.  

good luck with the search.  I’ve seen a few at good deals. But you have to pull the trigger immediately.  They don’t sit around 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Does Ping offer a flow neck option?

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

4 hours ago, UnderPar18 said:

Does Ping offer a flow neck option?

I believe there's three flow neck options currently - Kushin 4, Prime Tyne 4 and DS72 4.  I have my virtual session on Wednesday and will definitely be asking about flow necks.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

For those of you that have done this and have played with them a bit, was it worth it? Would you do it again? And for those who did the virtual fitting and have seen the performance of your putter, do you feel like you got an accurate fit?

Titleist TSR3 - D

Titleist TSR3 - 4W

Titleist T200 - 4i

Titleist T150 - 5-GW

Vokey SM9 - 52º - 56º - 60º

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport

Titleist Pro V1

6 hours ago, lordemsworth said:

Here is my Kushin 4 carbon with the patina finish.

they put the plugs in the heel and toe from the Front and back, rather than the face.

I just wish it was a bit wider - but i like it in the two rounds I’ve taken it out for.

9437FE81-0860-43EB-8252-7003F7F3D37F.jpeg

827BCA1A-EF18-4208-A838-2B2F08581F15.jpeg

63EB3C2D-84E6-4380-B302-41BFCDB84915.jpeg

BFAB8730-0341-42A8-B62C-31397687C12F.jpeg

67E4F5B8-DB64-429A-93B9-888ACBE1FB69.jpeg

AA6C00CA-1C8C-4D12-904D-56D150E1E619.jpeg

That is a thing of beauty.  I love everything about it.

Did they give you any advice on how to care for the carbon head?

• PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

5 hours ago, ColinKelvin said:

That is a thing of beauty.  I love everything about it.

Did they give you any advice on how to care for the carbon head?

I know this question wasn't directed to me, but i did ask this question. They showed me a big can of spray that they had in the Ping WRX department, it was a can of silicone spray. It wasn't specifically CRC, but i went ahead and bought a can of CRC food grade silicone. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I know this question wasn't directed to me, but i did ask this question. They showed me a big can of spray that they had in the Ping WRX department, it was a can of silicone spray. It wasn't specifically CRC, but i went ahead and bought a can of CRC food grade silicone. 

Awesome.  Thank you.  So, spray after every use?

I am hoping PING decides to increase the number of putters in the retail PLD program to include a Kushin

It seems to be a popular head shape in the custom program

The custom PLD is a wee bit out of my price range

Season 1 GIF by The Simpsons

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

I have actually been talking to one of the PING employees via email for a few weeks now trying to understand all the different options and one of my last questions that I am waiting to hear back on is if you can put a flow neck on an Anser/Anser 2. Once I hear back, I will let yall know. With that being said, below is what they sent me about putter types and available options.

Putter Types and Putter Options:

Anser,  Anser 2,  Kushin,  Kushin H,  Kushin 4,  DS72,  DS72 H, DS72 4,  Prime Tyne,  Prime Tyne H,  Prime Tyne 4,  Anser 2D,  Oslo,  Oslo H,  Oslo 4

Face Milling, Alignment Aids, Hosel/Stroke Type, Finish, Weighting, Lettering/Engraving, Paint Fill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TS2 | Titleist 917 3W & 5W | Titleist T200 4-PW | Titleist Vokey SM6 48, 52 & 56 | Ping PLD Custom Anser | Titleist Pro V1/ Taylor Made TP5

2 hours ago, dmwilson09 said:

I have actually been talking to one of the PING employees via email for a few weeks now trying to understand all the different options and one of my last questions that I am waiting to hear back on is if you can put a flow neck on an Anser/Anser 2. Once I hear back, I will let yall know. With that being said, below is what they sent me about putter types and available options.

Anser,  Anser 2,  Kushin,  Kushin H,  Kushin 4,  DS72,  DS72 H, DS72 4,  Prime Tyne,  Prime Tyne H,  Prime Tyne 4,  Anser 2D,  Oslo,  Oslo H,  Oslo 4

Face Milling, Alignment Aids, Hosel/Stroke Type, Finish, Weighting, Lettering/Engraving, Paint Fill

The PLD Anser 4 definitely exists, see below from today's thread at the Schwab. It's whether or not PING will sell YOU one. 

image.png.979426c9137e9ed6fe38f9fc817036f4.png

• PING G430 Max 10K 9* Tour 2.0 black 65X 
  • PING G430 Max 3w Tensei Raw Orange 75X
  • PING G410 19* Tour chrome 85X
  • NEW LEVEL 480-TC 4-PW X100 TI
  • NEW LEVEL SPN-SS 50*/54* X100 TI
  • NEW LEVEL SPN-VS 60* X100 TI
  • PING PLD Anser (Carbon Patina) PLD Graphite shaft
  • Bridgestone BX

21 hours ago, lordemsworth said:

Here is my Kushin 4 carbon with the patina finish.

Ping put the plugs in the heel and toe from the front and back. If the putter, rather than through the face.

I just wish it was a bit wider - but I like it in the two rounds I’ve taken it out for.

9437FE81-0860-43EB-8252-7003F7F3D37F.jpeg

827BCA1A-EF18-4208-A838-2B2F08581F15.jpeg

63EB3C2D-84E6-4380-B302-41BFCDB84915.jpeg

BFAB8730-0341-42A8-B62C-31397687C12F.jpeg

67E4F5B8-DB64-429A-93B9-888ACBE1FB69.jpeg

AA6C00CA-1C8C-4D12-904D-56D150E1E619.jpeg

Awesome looking putter. I am curious if the PLD Kushin width (front to back) is a little narrower than the 2021 retail Kushin 4. Anyone have thoughts or info on this?

5 minutes ago, HoganHO said:

Awesome looking putter. I am curious if the PLD Kushin width (front to back) is a little narrower than the 2021 retail Kushin 4. Anyone have thoughts or info on this?

It’s dramatically more narrow. I’ll post pics of mine later.  

Was told the 2021 version was made wider because of a weight issue, adding the insert lightened the putter too much or something along those lines.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

17 minutes ago, 14max said:

My all time faves from PING are the Anser X, Darby, and Piper styles.  Could the PLD program incorporate all of these ………

@dmwilson09 posted

1 hour ago, toc said:

It’s dramatically more narrow. I’ll post pics of mine later.  

Was told the 2021 version was made wider because of a weight issue, adding the insert lightened the putter too much or something along those lines.

That’s music to my ears. I think the 2021 version is too wide. 
looking forward to your pics 

1 hour ago, HoganHO said:

When I did my fitting, as we were talking about head shape and neck, I got the impression that they would do an Anser 4. Didn't talk about it specifically, but that was my sense.

I'll find out tomorrow when I have my virtual session.  Anser 4 was my first real putter when I started playing.  I'll see what the recommendations are from the fitter, but I'd love to be able to get a PLD Anser 4.  

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g