2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping PLD Custom Program

dlow206

7 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Side bar question as I don't want to derail this but do you just select the material or manually enter the density and it does the calculations? 

Maybe someone better with autocad than me could answer, I’ve previously just used massprop to get the area and then manually calculate mass using materials density 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 3:37 PM, Motoboss said:

Question; for those such as @dmwilson09 doing an extensive amount of custom engraving.
Is the stated  head weight AFTER the engraving or before? 

It would seem difficult to know exactly how much weight engraving would reduce total weight, and where in order to mill in extra weight in the beginning.

But after all, they are an engineering company 🙂 

That's an interesting questions that I have never given much thought about. Honestly, I am not that worried about it as I think it is negligible but I will ask the question. 

Titleist TS2 | Titleist 917 3W & 5W | Titleist T200 4-PW | Titleist Vokey SM6 48, 52 & 56 | Ping PLD Custom Anser | Titleist Pro V1/ Taylor Made TP5

1 minute ago, dmwilson09 said:

That's an interesting questions that I have never given much thought about. Honestly, I am not that worried about it as I think it is negligible but I will ask the question. 

Oh I believe it is very negligible unless one end is deeply etched. I just thought it interesting that some extensively engrave the putter and wonder what the  “actual” weight ends up and is that the stated weight or is the start weight the stated weight.

@MachineHack said the CNC mill program figures in “final” weight with engraving as it is milled. Sounds legitimate to me 🙂 

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

4 hours ago, Motoboss said:

Oh I believe it is very negligible unless one end is deeply etched. I just thought it interesting that some extensively engrave the putter and wonder what the  “actual” weight ends up and is that the stated weight or is the start weight the stated weight.

@MachineHack said the CNC mill program figures in “final” weight with engraving as it is milled. Sounds legitimate to me 🙂 

I reached out to Ping and for my putter, they had already planned to do a majority of the engraving prior to adding the tungsten weights. Pretty impressive that they thought ahead on this! 

• Like 2

Titleist TS2 | Titleist 917 3W & 5W | Titleist T200 4-PW | Titleist Vokey SM6 48, 52 & 56 | Ping PLD Custom Anser | Titleist Pro V1/ Taylor Made TP5

I got an update today that my putter has been milled. They'll do the customization this week and send it out for the satin finish.  Will likely have it in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

Thank you so much.  Very custom and 1 of 1.

The first Circle P (PING) ever created! 

I also have tungsten plugs in the back of the putter to get to a weight of 360g and then I have my last name down the back of the Longneck with another Circle P as my last name starts with P.

Jeff had his work cut out trying to create my vision.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Eston said:

Thank you so much.  Very custom and 1 of 1.

The first Circle P (PING) ever created! 

I also have tungsten plugs in the back of the putter to get to a weight of 360g and then I have my last name down the back of the Longneck with another Circle P as my last name starts with P.

Jeff had his work cut out trying to create my vision.

Just curious what was their reaction when you asked for that? 

I know some brands like stuff like this and some don't. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

1 minute ago, Humble said:

Could any of the guys that went with carbon chime in. It’s my understanding you could achieve a similar feel with the stainless and deep milling without the required maintenance that carbon requires. What was the reason for the decision. Just curious. Thanks!

i went carbon because i want as soft as possible, carbon with deep milling. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2022 at 8:51 AM, witty4242 said:

Received my putter yesterday; ordered on June 7. It is an Anser D in carbon steel with shallow milling. I went with the PLD Graphite shaft and am very pleased with how it feels. My current gamer is a carbon 009 at 350g, but I believe this putter will be taking its place in the bag for some time. The entire experience was first class, and Alex took his time to ensure that I was getting into the right putter for my stroke. 

IMG_5637.jpg.30e9df3c0542f2f8951a10ade40bd1c4.jpgIMG_5636.jpg.16b1ec6ce85b58921111fe4ce9893a52.jpg67935308467__32879E5E-11A3-4616-AECC-A3F5C26A2C17.jpg.d0dc9b08f483f0c74f232b21832d962e.jpg

That thing is sick!!! Wow that’s pretty

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

Well after waffling for the last month I just scheduled my fitting, first week of August is first available. Fitting with Alex. Excited!

Edited by Motoboss
  • Like 4

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

@MattM97 - There was absolutely no push back on my ideas to create a custom design thru the PLD program. PING is doing it right and accommodating design requests in reason to fulfill ideas. I think any custom putter company would do the same no matter the ideas as long as copyright isn’t infringed. All I have to say is ask to see what is possible. You probably could make a “triangle P” or “square P” if you wanted. Jeff was absolutely outstanding in telling me what was possible and what wasn’t and why. If you haven’t t gone thru this process, you are missing out on the most comprehensive fitting in my opinion. #CircleP (PING). 

9 hours ago, Eston said:

@MattM97 - There was absolutely no push back on my ideas to create a custom design thru the PLD program. PING is doing it right and accommodating design requests in reason to fulfill ideas. I think any custom putter company would do the same no matter the ideas as long as copyright isn’t infringed. All I have to say is ask to see what is possible. You probably could make a “triangle P” or “square P” if you wanted. Jeff was absolutely outstanding in telling me what was possible and what wasn’t and why. If you haven’t t gone thru this process, you are missing out on the most comprehensive fitting in my opinion. #CircleP (PING). 

Good to hear a custom PLD is definitely on my list I may try and do it in person in the fall or winter. Will have to see my budget. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

10 hours ago, Eston said:

I 100% agree. I had a feeling my design requests were going to be above and beyond what Ping would include as standard in their $1290 msrp for the putter and either say they couldn't do it or charge me a lot more $$ and too my surprise, they were excited about it and up for the challenge. We made a couple of slight modifications per the request of the custom shop but all in all, the putter I envisioned is the one they are building. 

15 hours ago, dlow206 said:

this PLD Custom program continues to be a steal for what you get, though not saying its cheap. have a feeling (based on no evidence) that they will raise prices. 

Agree, especially when the Scotty CS charges $350+ to basically add some paint fill, a few stamps, shaft sticker, grip and head cover after you send them a putter you had to purchase at the store. I also think Tyson Lamb putters start at $1200 ish, if you can ever get one, and he only does semi-custom putters thru his putter lottery these days I believe. Now, I don't think the custom PLD putters are going to skyrocket in value like a SC 009 or a Lamb putter but if Ping up's the price significantly or the waitlist to get a custom PLD becomes a year or longer, I guess there is a chance. 

I can't wait to get mine and hope she stay's in the bag for many many years! 

1 hour ago, dmwilson09 said:

I 100% agree. I had a feeling my design requests were going to be above and beyond what Ping would include as standard in their $1290 msrp for the putter and either say they couldn't do it or charge me a lot more $$ and too my surprise, they were excited about it and up for the challenge. We made a couple of slight modifications per the request of the custom shop but all in all, the putter I envisioned is the one they are building. 

Agree, especially when the Scotty CS charges $350+ to basically add some paint fill, a few stamps, shaft sticker, grip and head cover after you send them a putter you had to purchase at the store. I also think Tyson Lamb putters start at $1200 ish, if you can ever get one, and he only does semi-custom putters thru his putter lottery these days I believe. Now, I don't think the custom PLD putters are going to skyrocket in value like a SC 009 or a Lamb putter but if Ping up's the price significantly or the waitlist to get a custom PLD becomes a year or longer, I guess there is a chance. 

I can't wait to get mine and hope she stay's in the bag for many many years! 

I have my fitting in about 10 days.  If the virtual fitting aspect is half as good as people say that's a huge value add in the program.  It's one thing to just order a custom putter from a maker for a collection.  It's quite another to get a putter that's both personalized AND custom fit to you.  Definitely a solid value for what they're asking and ultimately why I decided to go ahead and sign up.    

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9 - Diamana GT 60 tx

Titleist TSi3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 tx

Mizuno Pro 223 $ Taper HT 130x

Vokey SM7 50F, 55S KBS Hi Rev 2.0 135x

Vokey SM9 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125x

Ping PLD Kushin 4/TP Mills Dale/TP Mills Nellie

Pro V1

25 minutes ago, Humble said:

In anticipation of my the fitting kit arriving I downloaded the iPing app and was able to McGyver my phone onto the putter shaft using 3m Velcro you would typically use to hang something off the wall.  Pretty cool if you wanna start to get an idea of your stats.

Thought about doing that - do you ahve to create a profile?  Or can you delete sessions?  Wondering if more sessions result in better averages/data for the fitter?

Pro V1

On 7/14/2022 at 2:38 PM, dlow206 said:

this PLD Custom program continues to be a steal for what you get, though not saying its cheap. have a feeling (based on no evidence) that they will raise prices. 

I disagree completely.  Over $1000 for a custom putter is ridiculous. With that said I understand people can and have money to spend the way they want. But it’s not dropping strokes off your game.  I feel the sane way about Cameron putters that people pay thousands for. 

Edited by Notashank

17 minutes ago, Byrdman2230 said:

This is a tour level fitting at their headquarters and a custom milled putter with various head shapes, materials (stainless or carbon), finishes, milling and other options not available OTR. This is what they do for their tour staff. It’s essentially a 1 of 1 putter made just for you. The price is pretty reasonable. 

When you look at witb on the ping website for there staff players half the staff uses off the rack putters. I believe the program is $1500 I could be wrong and in my view it’s not worth it. If it is what you want to spend your money on go ahead. 

I think if you’re getting a custom PLD (or any putter really) expecting to drop strokes you’re gonna have a bad time. I can appreciate Ping’s not advertising this service as such at least.

I think it’s really awesome Ping offers this service because at the end of the day it’s likely not a massive money maker for them and to a lot of people the experience in something that brings them a lot of joy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MachineHack said:

I think if you’re getting a custom PLD (or any putter really) expecting to drop strokes you’re gonna have a bad time. I can appreciate Ping’s not advertising this service as such at least.

I think it’s really awesome Ping offers this service because at the end of the day it’s likely not a massive money maker for them and to a lot of people the experience in something that brings them a lot of joy. 

Agree - awesome opportunity to interact with Ping in a way that isn't really available from any other major manufacturer.  The 1 of 1 custom build is icing on the cake. 

Disagree - getting a putter fitting and/or changing putters won't help your game.  Putting is pretty simple but very difficult to be consistent. If you can get something that makes you more consistent and/or confident, why wouldn't strokes drop off your cap?  Do you feel that way about all fittings?

• Like 1

Pro V1