2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping PLD Custom Program

dlow206

My Oyster finish has started to wear a small bit, getting a lighter shiny’er look on the face. But the great thing about is it can be sent back in and refinished whenever I want.

Still extremely happy with it 😃

• Like 1

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

5 minutes ago, jw444 said:

Just wears out back to silver right? No rust?

Yes

No rust at all

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

On 2/24/2024 at 7:28 PM, Wrobs01 said:

Just completed my iPing session and have my fitting on march 4th, beyond excited to get this putter ordered? Can anybody tell me how much of the fitting focuses on aiming with different models based on your dominant eye? I have my eyes set on either prime tyne or anser 2d and its hard to judge when going to local store to see how i aim them.

It came up in my meeting with Alex and we discussed it at length.  I'm fact, after discussing "my miss" he asked directly, so he picked up on it from our initial discussion and we decided on no sight lines (with the idea being if I decided I needed them, they'd put them on later).  Don't know that I'll ever get sight lines on another putter...hope that helps.  Left eye dominant, play righty.... ambidextrous so I have lots going on...lol. 

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

21 minutes ago, WarEagleGolf said:

It came up in my meeting with Alex and we discussed it at length.  I'm fact, after discussing "my miss" he asked directly, so he picked up on it from our initial discussion and we decided on no sight lines (with the idea being if I decided I needed them, they'd put them on later).  Don't know that I'll ever get sight lines on another putter...hope that helps.  Left eye dominant, play righty.... ambidextrous so I have lots going on...lol. 

Thanks for the response, I always line up my putts but I like having something that I can aim where I want naturally so I don't fidgety behind the ball and second guessing myself. 

17 minutes ago, Wrobs01 said:

Thanks for the response, I always line up my putts but I like having something that I can aim where I want naturally so I don't fidgety behind the ball and second guessing myself. 

Truth.  The cavity on my DZB is ball width, but I'm def a "face aimer", so I use the back cavity to frame the ball first then aim.   As such he said no rear/cavity lines but one on the topline would be fine or a sight dot.  Went with none been working well.  

PING PLD DZB Proto

34 minutes ago, Wrobs01 said:

Establish your eye dominance, it's easy to do anywhere. If you're lead eye dominant then they'll probably suggested; naked, top line or dot. If you're trail eye then flange line, multiple lines, ball width alignment, etc. 

Also like @WarEagleGolf said depending on the shape they might lean towards naked at first and then have it be added after if you need it. My fitting was in person so we tested short putts with no alignment and a line on my putter. It was established I roll short putts better with a topline and I had it milled on. If I did it remote I might have started naked just to be safe. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I’ve wondered about the alignment too. I know for sure that I like a perpendicular top rail more than parallel features. But I go back and forth with dot, line, or back flange line. Perhaps naked works too.  Don’t really know what works best, so I’m looking forward to my in person fitting this week. That’s one of the things I want to determine with certainty. Always possible that any combo of those four could be insignificant. 

TSR3 9.0 / Ventus TR Black 6S

G430 Max 15 / PING Tour Black 2.0 75S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

i230 6-P / Modus 115S

s159 50, 54, 58 / Modus 125 Wedge

LAB DF3

4 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Establish your eye dominance, it's easy to do anywhere. If you're lead eye dominant then they'll probably suggested; naked, top line or dot. If you're trail eye then flange line, multiple lines, ball width alignment, etc. 

Also like @WarEagleGolf said depending on the shape they might lean towards naked at first and then have it be added after if you need it. My fitting was in person so we tested short putts with no alignment and a line on my putter. It was established I roll short putts better with a topline and I had it milled on. If I did it remote I might have started naked just to be safe. 

Yeah I'm right eye dominant but with a flange line I tend to lign up more in the heel. Really leaning toward ball width features and or lines and just a dot for centering, but this is all new territory for me with this level of customization just trying to do as much research as possible so I can make the best possible decision 

1 minute ago, Wrobs01 said:

Yeah I'm right eye dominant but with a flange line I tend to lign up more in the heel. Really leaning toward ball width features and or lines and just a dot for centering, but this is all new territory for me with this level of customization just trying to do as much research as possible so I can make the best possible decision 

Definitely something to discuss with your fitter, depending what you have for head options Ping has a lot of ball width features in putters either the shape or lines being added. 

But again if you are hesitant go naked, test it out, draw on some lines, if that works send it back to Ping and have whatever added. Can always add, can't remove. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

22 hours ago, Unteachable said:

Here are some pictures of mine today. Original pictures are on page 64 of this thread 

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1420.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

Wow, this gives me hope for a MyDay/Zing!

• Thanks 1

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

39 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Definitely something to discuss with your fitter, depending what you have for head options Ping has a lot of ball width features in putters either the shape or lines being added. 

But again if you are hesitant go naked, test it out, draw on some lines, if that works send it back to Ping and have whatever added. Can always add, can't remove. 

Cool good to know, might take a trip to my local retailer that has the orinal naked pld anser and see if I like the set up. Thanks for the help

9 hours ago, WarEagleGolf said:

Truth.  The cavity on my DZB is ball width, but I'm def a "face aimer", so I use the back cavity to frame the ball first then aim.   As such he said no rear/cavity lines but one on the topline would be fine or a sight dot.  Went with none been working well.  

Man after seeing photos of your DZB, think I may have found a winner, hope I can get one I noticed yours is a proto so hope it wasn't a limited thing. 

2 minutes ago, Wrobs01 said:

Man after seeing photos of your DZB, think I may have found a winner, hope I can get one I noticed yours is a proto so hope it wasn't a limited thing. 

Another poster got one towards end of 2023.  They are beautiful, just ask and I'd bet they've got more. 

Frame the ball so well, the oyster finish has started to fade around the edges, get compliments all the time.  And the fit was amazing.  Best putter I've ever owned, and it's not close. 

PING PLD DZB Proto

17 hours ago, WarEagleGolf said:

Another poster got one towards end of 2023.  They are beautiful, just ask and I'd bet they've got more. 

Frame the ball so well, the oyster finish has started to fade around the edges, get compliments all the time.  And the fit was amazing.  Best putter I've ever owned, and it's not close. 

Sweet good to hear, got my zoom call next Monday for it, will definitely post my experience and what I ordered then, until then the countdown begins!

7 minutes ago, Konklifer said:

Can the finish you choose cover the weights? 

I believe it depends on the finish, a coating that's applied out of house probably will but I don't think they inhouse ones do as they don't affect tungsten. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

If anyone has ordered a blade from the program and received the original black PLD head cover (has the AZ patch/red pepper logo) that is specific to the program, and would consider selling it, please let me know!

Gear Junkie / Professional Shanker

WITB

Driver: Titleist Tsr3 8° (B2/C) - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s (68g) - MCC+4 - 45"

3 Wood: Titleist Tsr3 15° (A1/H1) - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s (78g) - MCC+4 - 43"

3 Hybrid: Titleist Tsr3 19° (A1/H1) - Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 8s (85g) - MCC+4 - 40.75"

Utility: Srixon ZX MkII 18° (STD) - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff (107g) - MCC+4 - 39.5"

Irons: Fourteen TB7 4-PW (22°-44°) - (BB&F Co) - Nippon Modus3 Tour 115 Stiff (119g) - MCC+4 - STD

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw (49/54/59) - (BB&F Co) - Nippon Modus3 115 Wedge (122g) - MCC+4 - STD

Putter: PING Anser 30 'Proto' (Carbon/Patina/360g/2.5°/70°) - PLD Composite Shaft - Golf Pride Tour Tradition - 34.5"

Testing: Lamkin Crossline Cord STD, Golf Pride 'New Decade' Multi Compound STD, Vice Pro Plus

27 minutes ago, etodd said:

If anyone has ordered a blade from the program and received the original black PLD head cover (has the AZ patch/red pepper logo) that is specific to the program, and would consider selling it, please let me know!

I'd love a blade head cover with the red pepper logo too. I saw a mallet one for a good price sell a bit ago on ebay. 

Edited by newportbeach

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

57 minutes ago, etodd said:

John Candy No GIF by Laff

They are way nicer than the new ones, would have to find one from someone who doesn't like "stock covers" 

Lefty - WITB Thread

41 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

They are way nicer than the new ones, would have to find one from someone who doesn't like "stock covers" 

A man can hope... I have the Tsr series in the bag right now on the top end and my bag is grey so maybe i'm being a little OCD wanting the whole black-red-white-grey aesthetic - idk.

I'm definitely not upset with the white topo, I mean the quality is great. But to order an exclusive putter and get a headcover that anyone can buy for $60 is a tiny bit disappointing. It would be like buying a Circle T and getting a stock newport cover with it haha. Probably being too much of a stickler, but if someone's willing to sell, i'm willing to buy!

Gear Junkie / Professional Shanker

WITB

Driver: Titleist Tsr3 8° (B2/C) - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s (68g) - MCC+4 - 45"

3 Wood: Titleist Tsr3 15° (A1/H1) - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s (78g) - MCC+4 - 43"

3 Hybrid: Titleist Tsr3 19° (A1/H1) - Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 8s (85g) - MCC+4 - 40.75"

Utility: Srixon ZX MkII 18° (STD) - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff (107g) - MCC+4 - 39.5"

Irons: Fourteen TB7 4-PW (22°-44°) - (BB&F Co) - Nippon Modus3 Tour 115 Stiff (119g) - MCC+4 - STD

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw (49/54/59) - (BB&F Co) - Nippon Modus3 115 Wedge (122g) - MCC+4 - STD

Putter: PING Anser 30 'Proto' (Carbon/Patina/360g/2.5°/70°) - PLD Composite Shaft - Golf Pride Tour Tradition - 34.5"

Testing: Lamkin Crossline Cord STD, Golf Pride 'New Decade' Multi Compound STD, Vice Pro Plus

9 minutes ago, BYK said:

Man who woulda thought the PLD custom cover would be "limited"

It is a very cool cover for sure though, and not surprised people very much want them.

The black ones people prefer are made by Golf Iconic who I think make some of the best covers in golf I think. They are also made in the USA but I'm wondering if they cannot keep up with demand or their prices went up or maybe more are coming.

The current ones are Made in China special and really lacking. Now to be fair there are some decent cover made in China and I'm sure could have made them on par with their woods covers which are solid. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

3 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

The black ones people prefer are made by Golf Iconic who I think make some of the best covers in golf I think. They are also made in the USA but I'm wondering if they cannot keep up with demand or their prices went up or maybe more are coming.

The current ones are Made in China special and really lacking. Now to be fair there are some decent cover made in China and I'm sure could have made them on par with their woods covers which are solid. 

Guess I need to hold onto mine lol

It would seem to be logical to have a special HC for this program.  Everything about it is so nice, I hope the HC gets figured out.  I can see why people would be frustrated.

• Like 1

Yadi for President

2 hours ago, MattM97 said:

It's funny because the topography covers were initially Tour-only.  I asked about buying blue/red/white one when my putter was delayed and was initially told no, then as it got a little more delayed they sent me one.  I really like them.  I have the original black cover and have never used it, but I'm holding on to it for now.  My golf bag is blue/red/white, so the topo cover works great for me.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

11 hours ago, MattM97 said:

10 hours ago, etodd said:

A man can hope... I have the Tsr series in the bag right now on the top end and my bag is grey so maybe i'm being a little OCD wanting the whole black-red-white-grey aesthetic - idk.

I'm definitely not upset with the white topo, I mean the quality is great. But to order an exclusive putter and get a headcover that anyone can buy for $60 is a tiny bit disappointing. It would be like buying a Circle T and getting a stock newport cover with it haha. Probably being too much of a stickler, but if someone's willing to sell, i'm willing to buy!

8 hours ago, BYK said:

Man who woulda thought the PLD custom cover would be "limited"

It is a very cool cover for sure though, and not surprised people very much want them.

I had my in person fitting today. Regarding head covers, Alex said that they are working on a new design, hopefully out soon. I promised I wouldn’t spill the secret, but he seemed very excited about them. 

I did a virtual fitting last year, so I brought that Kushin with me, along with a couple other putters I keep in the rotation. 

Surprising to both me and Alex was that my tempo suggested I should use a lighter weight. Ratio was 2.1, but total strike time was in the 870 ms range. Those are somewhat conflicting because the ratio skews for heavier weight, but the total time skewed lighter in Alex’s experience. Well as we tested more, my stroke was so much more consistent with a heavier head.

We will make the following mods to my existing Kushin - 1/2” longer shaft, new alignment line, new tungsten plugs, new finish color. Going from dark oyster to satin. The lighter grey just seems to stand out from green grass better for me. The craziest mod is the alignment line. 

Originally was just one line on the top line. New one will be adding a ball width line at the front of the top rail, parallel to the face/perpendicular to target line. 

He used a sharpie on a patina Kushin in the studio to test it out and it was like magic. It’s like the patina DS72 with the yellow line earlier in this thread. That always intrigued me but I wasn’t gutsy enough to try it. But now I know I like it. 

I’ll pop in some before and after photos once I get it back. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9.0 / Ventus TR Black 6S

G430 Max 15 / PING Tour Black 2.0 75S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

i230 6-P / Modus 115S

s159 50, 54, 58 / Modus 125 Wedge

LAB DF3