Pano going pro

This sounds really exciting for someone I’m sure we’ve all seen grow up before our eyes. Proud that she is realizing her dream to compete against the best. If you’re looking for the formula it has been on display for years now. 

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/04/12/alexa-pano-turns-professional-epson-tour/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

55 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

This sounds really exciting for someone I’m sure we’ve all seen grow up before our eyes. Proud that she is realizing her dream to compete against the best. If you’re looking for the formula it has been on display for years now. 

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/04/12/alexa-pano-turns-professional-epson-tour/

It’s interesting.  I feel like she would have enjoyed the college experience.   I kinda like how Rose Zhang has done things but I can’t fault Pano.  She’s an excellent talent and admire people for choosing their own path.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, darter79 said:

These kids gotta know they can make more with NIL than they can on the epson tour (the old symmetric tour). Use your skill to better yourself and get an education - probably for free in her case. Hope she succeeds but being 17 and not being allowed to get a full time LPGA card not only that but the money those girls don't make. Take the college route so you have an education to fall back on. 

Can’t she get the exact same endorsements there? I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if they do an updated one off documentary since 2 of them that I know of are prominent. I honestly felt so old knowing that I watched that doc like 10 years ago and they were playing at Augusta haha

"Rules on Amateur Status starting in 2022. Under the new rules, amateurs are clear to accept endorsement money and travel expenses without restrictions. There are now just three ways amateurs can violate their status: Accepting a prize in excess of the prize limit ($1,000), accepting payment for instruction and accepting employment as a club professional."

Me: ***  spends tonight updating junior's long ignored Instagram account ***

• Like 2

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

Am's can definitely take NIL deals and play in college. Rose just signed NIL deals with Beats and with Callaway in the last few weeks.

It is cool to see Pano going pro, and it does make me feel old since I first was introduced to her when my now 9yo was a baby. In terms of her path being the 'formula' I think its less to do with any specific formula as it has to do with an individuals desire. Even at 8yo in the Short Game she was out there grinding on her own, because she loved golf. That's the formula to success in golf or any profession. You have to love it and work your a** off. We are fortunate to be friends with a bunch of pro's and they basically all say they were self motivated and driven to compete and play. I don't think one of them has told me that they got dragged out and forced to play by their parents...introduced to the game for sure. Forced to play, never.

I watch all these parents at junior events pushing and prodding their kids and I know those kids are taking a hard out on golf as soon as they have a choice. Alexa Pano had it in her...and was given the opportunity and tools to succeed in what she clearly loves to do. 

To me the only real formula is hopefully getting your kid to love the game and then let them drive themselves to wherever they can take it. We just pay for the coaches and equipment...

• Like 2

I have to agree with @heavy_hitter.  Being a junior and making up your own schedule is one thing.

She has been completing against women she is suppose to be better than and not winning.  I would liked to have also seen her in college for a few years.

She would be playing against ladies 3-4 years older than her.  She would need qualify to compete while balancing the demands of college life.

She could go out this year and that would be it.  What does she fall back on. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

I have to agree with @heavy_hitter.  Being a junior and making up your own schedule is one thing.

She has been completing against women she is suppose to be better than and not winning.  I would liked to have also seen her in college for a few years.

She would be playing against ladies 3-4 years older than her.  She would need qualify to compete while balancing the demands of college life.

She could go out this year and that would be it.  What does she fall back on. 

While I agree with everything you said above but I think every situation is different and there are more to the story than what you read in the announcement.  

Two years ago, the company I am working for now, gave a golf amateur a 600K grant, 150k/year, for the next four years, to help that young lady succeed in the EPSON tour.  The company decided to give the money because the CEO is a big golf fan and his wife is a big fan of this young lady and in light of the metoo and timeup movement.  The CEO compensation is 5M+/year for the past six years.  In other words, this young lady will be able to play golf without having to worry about the financial burden for the next four years.  If things do not work out for her in golf, the company will have a high paying job waiting for her, like 250k/year salary.  What does the company get in return?  Lot of publicity that it is helping women and diversity.  They have her profile and how she does on the company intranet website just about every week.

Therefore, I can't say anything about the young lady Pano because I don't know the whole situation.  She might have a big supporter like the young lady that the company I am working for now sponsors.   

• Like 2

I've got super-mixed feelings on Pano turning pro. 

At first blush, it seems like her lack of recent wins and track record vs other pros leaves her entering professional golf a little light in momentum.  At 30,000 ft, this seems like a natural decision for a homeschooled girl who was always going to turn pro and hadn't ever committed to college in spite of her high ranking.

Let's face it, her father didn't tailor their lives to meet the demands of tour golf the past few years just so Alexa could be put back in a classroom (after not being in one in forever), given less time to practice and play against worse competition than she had been playing against.  For better or worse, she followed her chosen path after a decade of hard work in trying to get there.

It's anyone's guess how she will do going forward.  Will another Short Game (series, though) alum from South Florida follow her path and turn pro in a couple of years instead of picking the college powerhouse she wants to attend?  To me, this is a more interesting question and I think what happens to Pano could be a factor in that decision.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MB19 said:

It's anyone's guess how she will do going forward.  Will another Short Game (series, though) alum from South Florida follow her path and turn pro in a couple of years instead of picking the college powerhouse she wants to attend?  To me, this is a more interesting question and I think what happens to Pano could be a factor in that decision.

Blew her knee out.  That setback could derail the plans.  She had started to play in Junior events again before that blow out.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

I don't think the benchmark has to be winning, but competing and earning some money is a start. Pano qualified for Epson which means she should be able to make some cuts and earn a few dollars. Im all about going to college, but that was clearly never her path so why do it? Just because its 'safer?'

Her dad has money, she has some fallback, and she now has the opportunity to follow her chosen path. Plus I would bet she gets some LPGA sponsor exemptions and will continue to learn and get better as a full time pro. Worst case really is after a decade of grinding, she ends up as a club pro in Florida making a decent living in the game she chose.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, heavy_hitter said:

Unless something has changed, I am not so sure of that.  There are stories in Florida of several instructors getting stuck by him.

True, you never really know someones financial situation. Regardless, whether a successful tour pro or ending up as a teaching instructor or club pro, she will have a future in the and around the game of golf. She wasn't about to head off to med school...

Just my two cents, and most of you know my opinion on college vs pro, but to me when making long term decisions like this you need to always keep worst case scenario in mind and how you would adapt to that worst case scenario. Without a college degree if she is not competitive she will be forgotten about within a year if not sooner. The NIL's will be gone and she will be forced to try to find a way to support herself for the rest of her life with very few options. Go get the college degree, have something to fall back on. Chasing dreams is a lovely story but reality hits a lot harder. I hope she succeeds but it is a gamble to say the least. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Just my two cents, and most of you know my opinion on college vs pro, but to me when making long term decisions like this you need to always keep worst case scenario in mind and how you would adapt to that worst case scenario. Without a college degree if she is not competitive she will be forgotten about within a year if not sooner. The NIL's will be gone and she will be forced to try to find a way to support herself for the rest of her life with very few options. Go get the college degree, have something to fall back on. Chasing dreams is a lovely story but reality hits a lot harder. I hope she succeeds but it is a gamble to say the least. 

While I agree that getting an education should be a priority, her passion is golf. I’m doubtful she’ll find any passion outside of that to pursue while in school. And even if she did it would only take away from time spent on her dream. 

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

21 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

While I agree that getting an education should be a priority, her passion is golf. I’m doubtful she’ll find any passion outside of that to pursue while in school. And even if she did it would only take away from time spent on her dream. 

I am a pragmatist and cynical, dreams don't put food on the table and delaying her dream for 3-4 years to ensure she has a lot of options outside of golf does not seem like an undue burden. I think a lot of the discussions are acting like this was an either or decision. She could of gone to college and still gone pro but you can't go pro and then magically go back to college with the same benefits she would have had from financial and most likely acceptance aspects. Also, I think people are looking at this from a male perspective, this is not a situation where she can make enough in endorsements to be in great shape the rest of her life, the financial realities of female touring professions are much more difficult.

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 1