What's up with Brooke Henderson

gvogel

Brooke is my favorite LPGA player, and one of the two or three pro golfers (both PGA and LPGA) that I look for in the standings on a Friday or Saturday morning.

I don't like to see her struggle.  What's going on?

• Like 4
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I honestly think she is struggling with the new 46" MAX driver rule. She has always ( since she started playing ) used a 48" driver and chocked down. Looked like she was choking down to around 46" anyway but who knows. I think it has bothered her mentally as well. And like any mental issue in golf it creeps into your whole game. 

Now she is also struggling with putting as well. Used to always putt with the flag in but now is having it pulled. She looks like she is trying anything different to get things turned around. I hope she does!!!

• Like 2

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG One and Done w/Super Stroke 5.0
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

1 minute ago, SEP1006 said:

I honestly think she is struggling with the new 46" MAX driver rule. She has always ( since she started playing ) used a 48" driver and chocked down. Looked like she was choking down to around 46" anyway but who knows. I think it has bothered her mentally as well. And like any mental issue in golf it creeps into your whole game. 

Now she is also struggling with putting as well. Used to always putt with the flag in but now is having it pulled. She looks like she is trying anything different to get things turned around. I hope she does!!!

Nothing wrong with the Driver other than not making flush contact every shot like with the 48" but she's actually a significantly more accurate with 46" outside the final round at the 1st major, even when she withdrew in Hawaii  she 13/14 fairways.  It's the putter she lost it when Covid started and hasn't found it since, her play to the green from the fairway has declined since the change, that could be due to not gripping down with driver.  She probably his about a 1/3 to 1/4 of her shots each week not gripping down and maybe it hurting her feels with other clubs.  I suspect it's probably the new ball, she seems to be fighting it a little bit in the wind I noticed.

But if she's more accurate with the driver not gripping down she should probably change it throughout the bag but she might have to miss a month or so, cause she'll have to recalibrate all her distance but none of that matters if she's not gonna go for outside help with her putting.

• Like 4

Has her distance declined at all with the 46 driver? You quoted really impressive fw hit percentages but does she now attack the green from further away? Not hitting as close as before would negatively affect her putting stats.

• Like 2

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

12 minutes ago, MikeW2 said:

Has her distance declined at all with the 46 driver? You quoted really impressive fw hit percentages but does she now attack the green from further away? Not hitting as close as before would negatively affect her putting stats.

Like I mentioned, she's just not catching it flush all the time, it just more of a timing thing IMO, I say she'll be back to normal by the end of the season.  But essentially she really is pretty much where she was before the change, longer than most of the LPGA but still a few yards behind the really long hitters on the tour.  So one hole she might be 10 yards shorter than normal but the next hole hit as long as she normally was, just working out the kinks. 

• Like 1

Also her dispersion on misses seems much bigger, the only fairway she missed she had to his a provisional.  Also comparing Brooke's distance with the some long hitters (well not all of them) today.  The only one's who I found out drove her, were Yuka by 2 yards, Maude-Aimee Leblanc by 26 yards (but she the longest player on tour IMO) and also Jin Young Ko (but there was no really head wind on 1 of her driving holes)

Edited by Stooch

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 7:52 PM, gvogel said:

Brooke is my favorite LPGA player, and one of the two or three pro golfers (both PGA and LPGA) that I look for in the standings on a Friday or Saturday morning.

I don't like to see her struggle.  What's going on?

46" driver and I think it's a distraction for her.  Her putting has always been shaky at best.  She also has gained a little weight in the last year.  It all adds up to a temporary decline in performance.  Whether she gets over the driver issue is debatable.   It's likely the root of her problems right now.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Weight?  Her body type and weight have been the same for years IMO, perhaps she's adding muscle, her legs and thighs are pretty jacked.  Honestly the only time I saw a weight change with Brooke was in the months before her sister wedding and that was losing the bulkier muscles and getting more toned, probably for wedding photo's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stooch said:

On the contrary, it has greatly improved even if there is a slight loss of distance, which with a good hit, I doubt there is

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. (with apologies to Twain)

As for her driving, I can agree with you for nearly all of your argument.  While we are just entering the Second 3rd of the season, Brooke finds herself looking from outside the top-10 in driving distance YTD -- sitting at 18th.  Her length is about the same but there are more players that possess the power off the tee.  This is also supported by the Strokes Gained index in which she is either 17th or 18th in SG off the tee. 

As for her Driving Accuracy, her ranking last five seasons are: 

2021 - 53rd, 2020 - 35th, 2019 - 77th, 2018 - 60th.  2022 YTD - 82nd.

Is the shorter driver affecting her game -- most definitely at the mental level and relative to the field.   Will it continue that way?  Only time will tell and as I stated in my previous post, I hope it is only a temporary blip.

3 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

I believe that the driver length change -- the Brooke Henderson Rule, has affected her and she has not adequately prepared for it.  Furthermore, her relative driver woes (by her standards) puts a little more pressure on her iron/approach game and that leads into her area where she is least competitive relative to the remainder of the field and that is with her putting. 

I suspect that it is the "feeling" of the new grip/club length that is weighing on her mind and perhaps applying a little more pressure on her than she is normally accustomed to.   

Look, it is pure speculation at this point until she formally makes a statement on it.  Who knows, it could be something else or it could be nothing.  Maybe a large part of it is that she has been very consistent over the past 5-8 years . . . and we've grown accustomed to seeing her performing at that high level. 

1 hour ago, Stooch said:

also her recent bad putting has been on Poa and I bet if you look 50-60% of her missed cuts probably come on this surface.

While she may well have struggled with it, the irony is that her last win came in LA on a poa putting surface.  🤣

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. (with apologies to Twain)

As for her driving, I can agree with you for nearly all of your argument.  While we are just entering the Second 3rd of the season, Brooke finds herself looking from outside the top-10 in driving distance YTD -- sitting at 18th.  Her length is about the same but there are more players that possess the power off the tee.  This is also supported by the Strokes Gained index in which she is either 17th or 18th in SG off the tee. 

As for her Driving Accuracy, her ranking last five seasons are: 

2021 - 53rd, 2020 - 35th, 2019 - 77th, 2018 - 60th.  2022 YTD - 82nd.

Is the shorter driver affecting her game -- most definitely at the mental level and relative to the field.   Will it continue that way?  Only time will tell and as I stated in my previous post, I hope it is only a temporary blip.

I suspect that it is the "feeling" of the new grip/club length that is weighing on her mind and perhaps applying a little more pressure on her than she is normally accustomed to.   

Look, it is pure speculation at this point until she formally makes a statement on it.  Who knows, it could be something else or it could be nothing.  Maybe a large part of it is that she has been very consistent over the past 5-8 years . . . and we've grown accustomed to seeing her performing at that high level. 

While she may well have struggled with it, the irony is that her last win came in LA on a poa putting surface.  🤣

1.  Numbers can lie, that's why you gotta keep them honest 🤣  So Brooke played 28 rounds this season and I pay close attention probably way too close attention lol.  She currently averages 272 yds so for this exercise I dropped 2 yds and multiplied 270 by 27 and then added 187 and dived by 28 which gave me 267 a loss of 3 yds.  What's with the 187 number?   That was her driving distance in the final round of the Chevron when she pull hooked her drive right into a tree on #2 that only measured 100 yds (still made birdie lol) so minus that outlier on a measuring hole and the loss of approx 3 yds to her distance average which if added to 272 would have her at 275 right with Pauline Roussin Bouchard and Yuka Saso at 6th or 7th, which seems right to me with the eye test.  Because of only two measuring hole each round I only usually use this stat to group players in sorta flights like "A" being the longest hitter "B" being just below them and continually going down.  I've always grouped Brooke in the "B" group and that hasn't changed for me yet.

2.  Besides LA she's won twice in Hawaii, so yeah with Brooke and Poa she obviously either gets it or can't see a thing😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, elwhippy said:

She looks more nervous over a putt than Lexi, and that is not good. 

I've often said to my buddies that if Lexi and Brooke were playing alternate shot together, they might never finish a hole if someone didn't tell them to "just pick it up - that's good."

Seriously twitchy putters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

4 hours ago, OrangeGravy said:

She was struggling way before this driver change. She's a really poor putter and that isn't gonna change

Putting is definitely an issue for her, but she played well enough to be a top player and win if the putter did just enough.  She wasn’t struggling to start this year.  Her finishes to start the season were:  2, 6, 11, 6, 4.  Chevron (first event with shorter driver?) was 13th.  Then WD, C, C.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BadgerLin said:

Putting is definitely an issue for her, but she played well enough to be a top player and win if the putter did just enough.  She wasn’t struggling to start this year.  Her finishes to start the season were:  2, 6, 11, 6, 4.  Chevron (first event with shorter driver?) was 13th.  Then WD, C, C.  

It's why golf is so fun?  Ironically her driver was off during that run and it also hurt her greens in reg and that's what probably kept her from winning during that stretch.   At the time of the change she was at 67% fairways hit and now she's 73%, so she now hits the fairway but doesn't find the green enough and when she did she could get the ball in the hole lol

On 5/9/2022 at 10:27 AM, Socrates said:

I've often said to my buddies that if Lexi and Brooke were playing alternate shot together, they might never finish a hole if someone didn't tell them to "just pick it up - that's good."

Seriously twitchy putters.

Too Funny but sadly true

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Brooke changed to playing the TM TP5x ball this year after using the Pro-V1 for many years. It's possible the ball change could be impacting her game this year like it has for Rickie Fowler the last 3+ years. Couple that with the driver length change. They could possibly be part of why she hasn't been as sharp this season. Or simply it's just a down year so far for her. 

• Like 1

when I first saw Brooke come out on Tour and saw her having to choke up on a driver, my first thought was she was playing poorly fitted clubs as a junior, so someone advised her to choke up on the club for more control and she learned how to make do....take two inches off a club and then choke down on it , now we are looking at old school golf club specs..it has to have changed her stance, her set up, and where she feels the club head is in the swing. it might even feel like her 3W but with a driver head and loft.. Think of us old guys that started playing golf when the persimmon standard was 43.5 in, the first time someone put a 45 in driver in my hand it felt really strange...Her game revolved around the driver, once she figures it out she will be back on top of the leaderboards

• Like 2

On 5/13/2022 at 2:37 AM, grm24 said:

Brooke changed to playing the TM TP5x ball this year after using the Pro-V1 for many years. It's possible the ball change could be impacting her game this year like it has for Rickie Fowler the last 3+ years. Couple that with the driver length change. They could possibly be part of why she hasn't been as sharp this season. Or simply it's just a down year so far for her. 

I really really liked the TP5x on longer clubs, windy days, damp greens. Its a great ball, was my ball of choice for a long time. However I noticed my tendency with wedges and other approach shots is I catch them slightly high on workable misses, and its already a lower spinning so it got even lower. I for whatever reason ended up with a few boxes of chrome soft and the more spin on the short game was a changer for me. I just could not use TP5x around the green anymore. If youre a higher spin player its great, but when I started to notice some issues on my pitches with it and I ended up changing last season and trying out a bunch of new brands. I think in some of the testing ive seen guys do on youtube, the TP5x and pro V1 are a few hundred rpm difference from 150 yards and in, and up to a thousand-ish on spinning wedge shots from 75 yards and in. This is all relative and im not the worlds best ball striker but the spin around the greens could be causing her some problems because it seems like her off the tee stats are still up there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tasals said:

This is all relative and im not the worlds best ball striker but the spin around the greens could be causing her some problems because it seems like her off the tee stats are still up there.

Yes . . . it's just one more thing for her to contend with.  Sometime changes should be kept to a minimum so as to give oneself a better chance of sucessful transition/integration.  The driver change was known months ago . . . the ProV1 was performing well for her up till then.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tasals said:

I really really liked the TP5x on longer clubs, windy days, damp greens. Its a great ball, was my ball of choice for a long time. However I noticed my tendency with wedges and other approach shots is I catch them slightly high on workable misses, and its already a lower spinning so it got even lower. I for whatever reason ended up with a few boxes of chrome soft and the more spin on the short game was a changer for me. I just could not use TP5x around the green anymore. If youre a higher spin player its great, but when I started to notice some issues on my pitches with it and I ended up changing last season and trying out a bunch of new brands. I think in some of the testing ive seen guys do on youtube, the TP5x and pro V1 are a few hundred rpm difference from 150 yards and in, and up to a thousand-ish on spinning wedge shots from 75 yards and in. This is all relative and im not the worlds best ball striker but the spin around the greens could be causing her some problems because it seems like her off the tee stats are still up there.

I liked the TP5X, but not around the greens.  Prefer the TP5 or I'll use the ProV1x or ProV1 depending on how windy it is (or what I have in the bag).  Everyone on the LPGA needs money, but at some point Brooke might have to say that the TP5x just isn't working out.

• Like 2

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

She needs to say 'eh' more.

• Haha 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

I got a used Ping Glide 3 SW off the Fleabay.   I couldn't hit it.

I took it to my club repair guy, and he compared its swing weight to a Vokey I have that felt "right."

"They have the same swing weight.   D3.  You're crazy."

Yet, I felt what I felt.   The Glide felt so much heavier.  So the repair guy persevered.

"Oh, the Ping has a lighter shaft.  Plus it's 3/8 inch longer than the Vokey."

He cut that extra length off the Ping, and voila.   Now it's my favorite wedge.   Its swing weight dropped to C 9.

The reason for this novel is that club length is a funny thing.   It can affect clubhead feel in a bunch of unexpected ways.  Perhaps this is what Brooke is going through?

• Like 3

I have noticed some control problems on the approaches in higher winds (with the new ball) and maybe there's some adjustments around the greens, but the ball is an excuse.  Since the change in driver she's gained about 2-3 more fairways in reg per round but has also missed 2-3 more greens in reg per round, so I'd say it's a feel or mechanics thing.  Since the Chevron Brooke's problem has been nothing but the putter, so unless the TP5x is shaped like an egg it's not the ball IMO lol

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stooch said:

I have noticed some control problems on the approaches in higher winds (with the new ball) and maybe there's some adjustments around the greens, but the ball is an excuse.  Since the change in driver she's gained about 2-3 more fairways in reg per round but has also missed 2-3 more greens in reg per round, so I'd say it's a feel or mechanics thing.  Since the Chevron Brooke's problem has been nothing but the putter, so unless the TP5x is shaped like an egg it's not the ball IMO lol

I simply attribute it to lack of practice. When a player focuses on a big change in one part of their game, they often neglect the other parts. We saw that in Lydia's short game when she was working on endless full swing changes.

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

She can’t putt most weeks from what I’ve watched, and she and her sister are taking longer and longer to read the greens.

I don’t remember her being as “meticulous” a few years ago….

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20