2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Anyone ever take a break or think of quitting because of putting?

JermWRX

https://www.golftec.com/golf-lessons/putting

If you are looking for high tech lessons I think this is the place.

They are right next to one Pepe's Pizza in West Hartford.  I usually turn at their corner when driving to my golf course!

They have a facilities around Boston that are likely to be closer to you.

Edited by ShortGolfer

18 minutes ago, Stinger83 said:

When I struggle like that - I change everything. I speed up my routine. No lining up the ball. No pacing out the putt. no reading it from the cup side. I've actually been doing this lately and it is working. 

I literally will pick a line. Tell myself how many feet I think it is. Make one practice stroke visualizing the amount of backswing I need. Setup and hit the putt. And on anything under 15 feet I'll do the Jordan speith "look at the hole while I hit the putt" thing. 

if you're struggling its amazing what this does. Takes planning out of it and makes you reactive with your eyes and hands. Brings all the feel back into putting. 

Playing an 18 money match tomorrow with my group. I’m gonna try this. F*** it. Can’t be any worse

Had 3 3 putts in a row today, love the game until I get to the green so I feel ya there.  

• Like 1

TM Qi10 (9*) | Speeder 661 Evolution  IV X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (3) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM Spider X Chalk

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

21 minutes ago, bobfoster said:

Perfect response - the same two key points leaped out at me.

1. The poor fellow had about a dozen depressing swing thoughts in a single post - if I went to a course and lined up putts with that massive thunderstorm of negativity crashing through my head, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't sink anything. While a lot of golf is psychological, most clubs also require athleticism. Swing mechanics matter. But putting, IMO, is about 5% physical and 95% mental. (Remember seeing a guy in the retirement community my Dad was in, that had a little putting mat in his living room - he'd actually sit on this little walker he had and putt. Putting is brain, not body.) 

2. This point gets driven home by the rest of the OP's game. He can hit fairways, good with wedges and even out of the sand. Means the athleticism and fine motor control is there (physically). People that are good at wedges generally do have "feel", and can execute on it. To suddenly lose that standing over a putt is pretty strange.

My suggestion (as well as that of several others)? There are two options. Either follow Shilgey's advice and drill a hole in your head to let the evil spirits out (😂 - apparently worked in the middle ages), or find a putting coach. Buy an expensive one. That will analyze your natural stroke, put you on a monitor, and get you the right putter (blade or mallet, the right toe hang, hosel and loft, etc.). And then give you a half dozen exercises to optimize it. 

This is a problem that can be fixed. It can be handled dude. Golf has become hyper-specialized - both the technology, and the instructors that can make use of it. You can solve this in six months, and put the final piece of your game together. 

Athleticism and motor skills are definitely still there. Been an athlete my entire life. Obviously high school sports. Football, baseball and hoops. Continued on to pitch at the D1 level. I own a building company, so I have the tools necessary for the lobotomy if necessary 😂

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

My swing is very simple. Set my shoulders and hips in my intended direction, coil and turn through. The putter is a whole different story. I’m thinking of a million things. How far back to take it? Path? Eyes over the ball? Don’t track it with your head? Rock the shoulders? These are a few of the questions that go through every putt

Honestly, the putting stroke is a mini golf swing. Set your shoulders and hips, then rock your shoulders back and through. Your swing is a confidence based, process focused movement. Your putting is a fear based, results focused movement. Remember 3 balls will fit in a hole at the same time. Try going through the exact pre shot routine on your putter as you do for your 7 iron. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

11 minutes ago, JermWRX said:

Playing an 18 money match tomorrow with my group. I’m gonna try this. F*** it. Can’t be any worse

Let go…..let go of the negative thoughts and mechanical crap.  Sometimes easier said than done.  But as a D1 pitcher if you can throw a ball, accurately I hope, you can putt.

Roll it and either pick it out of the hole or putt the next one.  All that matters is speed and line.  Not results of “did I make it”.

• Like 1

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

2 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Honestly, the putting stroke is a mini golf swing. Set your shoulders and hips, then rock your shoulders back and through. Your swing is a confidence based, process focused movement. Your putting is a fear based, results focused movement. Remember 3 balls will fit in a hole at the same time. Try going through the exact pre shot routine on your putter as you do for your 7 iron. 

Never thought of this way. I play fast. My pre shot routine is quick and simple. Look at my line and half little swing. Then I stretch the club over my head and back to stretch out. Then I step in and hit the ball. On the green I slow to a standstill. Brain won’t shut off. I’ll try the same over the head with the club and stretch out routine tomorrow. I like this idea. Thanks!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Let go…..let go of the negative thoughts and mechanical crap.  Sometimes easier said than done.  But as a D1 pitcher if you can throw a ball, accurately I hope, you can putt.

Roll it and either pick it out of the hole or putt the next one.  All that matters is speed and line.  Not results of “did I make it”.

I jokingly asked my wife after reading some of these great suggestions. She doesn’t play, but is an athlete herself. She said, “Are you sure you’re not trying to throw the ball in the hole instead of rolling it?”🤦🏻‍♂️😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JermWRX said:

My swing is very simple. Set my shoulders and hips in my intended direction, coil and turn through. The putter is a whole different story. I’m thinking of a million things. How far back to take it? Path? Eyes over the ball? Don’t track it with your head? Rock the shoulders? These are a few of the questions that go through every putt

Forget green reading - I'm assuming you're whiffing straight 3-footers. Only two things matter.

Part 1: Line

Draw a line on the ball & line it up at the back center of the hole. Literally pick a blade of grass. Once you're satisfied your line is straight, forget it. Part 1 of the task is done. 

Part 2: Speed

Anything short, just jam it. Don't ponder, don't take practice strokes, just smack it in there. If you're having trouble with face angle, try a pop stroke. Super-short back swing & quick through. The face doesn't even have time to get sideways. For longer putts, determine stroke length with practice swings until you feel good or at least decent. Address & repeat that last practice swing. Don't think about anything else. Hit the ball as immediately after addressing it. ZERO hesitation. 

These are my points of experience as a reformed yipper. I too considered quitting golf over it. Don't keep changing putters. Keep the same putter & try different grip sizes & styles. They will change how you release. I'm using the SuperStroke claw grip. I don't even use the claw but the size and squarish shape is really working for me. 

Watch a bunch of kids at summer golf camp roll the rock on the practice green.  Notice how it’s not life or death if it goes in or it doesn’t. 

Alternatively, smoke a blunt until giggles begin and putt till you’re just focusing on feel and not results. This approach works amazingly 😎 well. 

• Like 1

I can sympathize. I have been taking fairly regular lessons for the last several years. I have gotten very marginally better. I have gone from ~120 to ~110 in all that time. It seems I take two steps forward and one step back. I fix one thing and then it shows another problem. I fix that problem and then revert to a previous problem and have to work on that again. 

Like others have said much is in your head. Also, like others have suggested find a good instructor who specializes in putting and take some lessons. Don't quit just because you are going through a tough time. 

I have struggled with the putter several times over the years (like you breaking 80 with 40 putts).  Totally mental.  That being said, knowing that does nothing to make it better.  What has worked for me is to do a complete mental reset.  To accomplish that, I went to putting left handed.  I mean, I hardly could do worse.  My expectation to make a putt went to near zero and because of that it freed me up to just make a stroke.  I wasn't stressed over making it anymore.  After a short adjustment period, I putted decently.  Not spectacularly, but decent and it was stress free.  Even got good at it.

The duration of putting left handed has varied (done it 3 times) with the last time lasting almost 2 years.  But when I came back to putting right handed, I was able to putt well.  One day just picked up a RH putter and went back to it.  I have found a putter that I really like and it's been about 5 years since I last putted LH and I incorporated some of the things that others have said in this thread.  One of them is just to roll the ball with a smooth motion.  I don't even really care if it goes in the hole as long as I roll it on the line I picked.

The key for me, was to remove the stress of thinking I had to make a putt.   As I said, I removed the absurd expectations and learned to relax.  When you do make a putt, putting from the wrong side, it is a good feeling.

p.s. My LH Scotty is getting pretty dusty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (Didn't make the cut)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (still the GOAT)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

5 hours ago, JermWRX said:

Doesn’t matter what kind of putter I try. I’ve tried them all. Doesn’t matter how I grip the club. I’ve tried them all. Doesn’t matter what my stance is. I’ve tried them all. I’ve taken lessons. I putt on a practice mat every night. I’ve tried using a mirror. I’ve used putter gates and other practice devices. Nothing works. I strike the ball so well. Hit fairways and greens all day long. Good out of the sand, and a very good chipper/pitcher. However, none of that matters because I can’t hole a putt. My lags could be 8’ short or 8’ long. My short putts are an abomination. My playing buddies know to never give me putts. Ever. Even if it’s 6”. It’s so frustrating, and honestly I feel like stepping away from the game that I love. Maybe just become a driving range guy, because I absolutely love striking the golf ball. Anyway, I guess this is just a venting post. Sorry. Lol.

Have you tried putting a ball down a ruler?  A few days ago I was by a Harbor Freight and remembered someone commenting about a 4 ft ruler they sell for a few bucks so I ran in and picked one up.  The first couple of nights trying it out my thoughts were "the person that talked about putting down a ruler had to be joking because this is F--KING impossible".  I then realized I had gotten into a habit of watching the putter head during the stroke and not the ball.  I sprayed some foot powder on the face of the putting and the impact varied by about 3/8"...  I then started focusing on just the ball and not watching the putter head.  For the past week every night I putt 25 putts down the ruler and keep track of how many go completely down the ruler.  My impact marks on the putter have tightened up significantly and as of tonight am up to 70%.  

Now if I could only get rid of my flippy weak a** impact with my irons I may be able to be half way decent at this game...  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JermWRX said:

Doesn’t matter what kind of putter I try. I’ve tried them all. Doesn’t matter how I grip the club. I’ve tried them all. Doesn’t matter what my stance is. I’ve tried them all. I’ve taken lessons. I putt on a practice mat every night. I’ve tried using a mirror. I’ve used putter gates and other practice devices. Nothing works. I strike the ball so well. Hit fairways and greens all day long. Good out of the sand, and a very good chipper/pitcher. However, none of that matters because I can’t hole a putt. My lags could be 8’ short or 8’ long. My short putts are an abomination. My playing buddies know to never give me putts. Ever. Even if it’s 6”. It’s so frustrating, and honestly I feel like stepping away from the game that I love. Maybe just become a driving range guy, because I absolutely love striking the golf ball. Anyway, I guess this is just a venting post. Sorry. Lol.

Edited by TonyDAnnunzio
Double post

1 hour ago, JermWRX said:

I do this. Maybe I’ll try the opposite. Lol

Funny but that could work too.  If you already know it’s not going to go in how tense are you going to be?  Frees you up to just put a good roll on it and not try so hard to make it.😎

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

Practice with ear buds in listening to music that makes you dance happy. You’ll quit concentrating on the putt “process” and let your natural talent and muscle memory take over, become loose and fluid.

Go play with that music playing in your head.

Guaranteed!

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

I went through something similar a few years back. In one of our major club competitions I had 40 putts and shot 3 over my handicap. Seven putts less and I’d have won the competition. I was mad with myself.

So I tried the Jordan Spieth route as well as practicing putting to tee pegs every night. I looked at the hole whilst putting and it worked. Seemed to stop me looking up mid swing and firing it all over. Slowly my putting got better, my confidence improved and the last couple of years I’ve averaged 28 putts a round. It’s possibly the strongest part of my game now and I feel I’m going to make anything.

I no longer look at the hole whilst putting now, I pick a specific dimple to look at and focus on not moving my eyes until the dimple has been moved. Whenever I have a bad round though I go back to looking at the hole for my next few practice rounds.

Edited by philly2kuk
Stupid autocorrect

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport Two
Titleist pro v1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

I love putting. I embrace it. But there was a time in my early 20’s where I was the exact opposite. As soon as I started loving it I started putting better. I really think 85% of putting is mental. Have confidence. There are two things in putting - path and pace. That’s it. Start it on the line you want and know your pace. 

I had the yips pretty bad a few years ago- obviously there's not a simple solution. A couple things that helped me were things like putting without a target. Hitting longer putts without aiming at a hole and focusing on contact, putting with my eyes closed. Those sort of things to get a groove a decent stroke and make good contact. 

Callaway Rouge ST 💎💎💎 

Taylormade Sim Ti- 15*, 19*

Miura TC-201

Vokey Raw SM9- 46*, 51*, 56*, 61*

Bettinardi BB8W Blackout - Scotty Cameron Buttonback Newport

14 hours ago, Shilgy said:

So pick a spot behind the hole on the path your ball would go in the hole and hit to that spot.

Or pick a spot in front of the hole on the ball path and hit to that spot. For me that's about two feet in front of the hole. When I aim there the ball ends up within gimme range, if not in the hole. Even with a three footer I aim at a spot on the green eight inches or so before the hole. With uphill and downhill putts I move the aiming point accordingly. When I aim at the hole I always go long. But that's me. The trick lies in finding out through experience what works for you.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

I’ve never thought about quitting the game because of my putting but I have thought about quitting over the shanks I’ve been battling over the last 2 years. Nothing more frustrating in the game for me than not knowing if I’m going to catch it clean or straight of the hosel! 
The single best tip I have ever had for putting is KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN! I got that tip 15 years ago and it has always stuck. Before that tip, putting was the worst part of my game. Since then I try to remember to keep my head still for at least 2 sec after the putter hits the ball. It made a WORLD of difference for me. 

• Like 1

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

16 hours ago, JermWRX said:

My lags could be 8’ short or 8’ long. My short putts are an abomination. My playing buddies know to never give me putts. Ever. Even if it’s 6”. It’s so frustrating, and honestly I feel like stepping away from the game that I love. Maybe just become a driving range guy, because I absolutely love striking the golf ball. Anyway, I guess this is just a venting post. Sorry. Lol.

Ah, the driving range guy that can’t putt - this hits home and bring back some terrible memories from only 2 seasons ago.

In a nutshell, if your lag putts are +/-8’ and short putts are an abomination then you don’t have the correct weapon!  I’d bet you could putt better with your wedge?

After SAM fittings, trial and error, late nights up reading the science involved, indoor putting with Blast Motion sensor, logging hundreds of putts/day, guessing and checking head shape/size/weight, face inserts/milling, sight lines/dots/naked, loft,  hosel configs, shaft length/weight/material, grip size/shape/weight/material, putting style, stroke type, swing weight, counterbalancing!?!?!

It became paralysis by analysis!  So when you say you’ve tried them all....  you haven’t.

If you’re lucky enough to have a full Edel fitting cart in a city near you, pay the $100 and find that magic wand.  Even if you don’t pull the trigger on their putters at least you’ll know what direction you should be looking towards.

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Driving Iron  Ping iCrossover 2i Ventus Blue 9x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

Stop competing, competing against your friends, keeping score, and posting scores for the rest of this year. Just play for fun.

Take one putt. If it goes in, fine.

One handed swipe the second putt. 
Pick it up, in or out, and move on.  
Unlearn or re program yourself on the importance of putting.  
Next year, go back to playing normally. 

Edited by PJE

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."