Thin soled Iron with forgiveness for a Sweeper!

Brentwalker52

S55's (if you can find a set in good condition), or i500 / i525.

• Like 2

The Navy Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max Driver Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 Max 5w & 7w Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h & 5h Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 6-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS & 58° Eye2 Z-115

Seemore PCB 33"

Back-up Hoofer range bag:

Ping Eye2+ 3-9 Aldila Low Torque Graphite, PW-SW KT Steel

15 hours ago, PowerCobra98 said:

Only on WRX would somebody say Mizuno Pro 225's are "thick".  LOL.

Are Mizuno Pro 225's thinner soled than Mizuno MP-20 HMB's?

For me, my Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3 iron looks very thick compared to my T100 (2019) 4 iron.

For @Brentwalker52: I am a mid capper (or even worse). I use T100's and play much better than with my old Game Improvement Callaways. I played with MP-18 blades for a while and even they were better than the GI's.

I can recommend T100's!

Edited by TangoWhiskey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a sweeper for the most part, and have played Mizuno blades for 24 years now.  I’m currently playing the MP-5 but the 221s are much more forgiving than you would expect.  At the end of the day, a bad swing on a shot is going to punish you regardless, if you can square the face consistently 221s can make you a better ball striker through better feedback.  The 223s would be the second option.  

I see T100s mentioned, having tried these several times I think they are versatile enough to fit the bill and are great irons.  If I moved on from my MP-5 irons, the T-100 would get a very good look in the process, I was really impressed by them.

• Like 4

I'm quite shallow having grown up with Kikuyu fairways where the ball sits up nicely and have found my MP-20 MMCs to work quite well. I agree with @Florida Gator, the Mizuno blades are much more forgiving than you think (I haven't tried the latest version but did like the MP-20) and I found their narrowness and fairly sharp leading edge gets in and out of the turf cleaner than something with a wider sole and more bounce. So if straight up blades aren't your thing, maybe something like the 223s which have a bit more help?

• Like 1

10.5* TM M5 Tour - Evenflow Riptide 70

15* Mizuno ST200 - Diamana S+ 70

19* (@20*) Mizuno CLK - Tensei CK Pro 70

5-PW Mizuno MP-20 MMC - Project X

50/08 & 54/11 Wilson Staff Model Wedge - DG 120

60/10 Cleveland RTX Zipcore - DG TI Spinner

Scotty Cameron SS Newport 2

Srixon Z Star

1 minute ago, sg91 said:

I'm quite shallow having grown up with Kikuyu fairways where the ball sits up nicely and have found my MP-20 MMCs to work quite well. I agree with @Florida Gator, the Mizuno blades are much more forgiving than you think (I haven't tried the latest version but did like the MP-20) and I found their narrowness and fairly sharp leading edge gets in and out of the turf cleaner than something with a wider sole and more bounce. So if straight up blades aren't your thing, maybe something like the 223s which have a bit more help?

For me, a big part of iron forgiveness is turf interaction.  Mizunos can definitely slide through cleanly.  Believe it or not, but some sole grinds on irons can grab and actually open or close the face through the ball even if the lie angle is properly adjusted.  If the iron sole is designed to cut pelts but keep you from digging, it’s going to grab with my swing.  The Mizuno sole camber is great for my iron swing.

• Like 2

Not knowing much about club engineering, now i'm interested how a head can maintain lower cog without much mess at the bottom of the head. After trying many tech irons, I didn't see much difference in "forgiveness." Good shots were good and bad shots were bad just like my 2012 forged cavity irons. Anyway, looking at Maltby ratings, I'm now interested in small tech irons again 🙂 Maybe I didn't understand the tech well back then and didn't explore much. 

Also, can a shaft be a factor? After trying many iron shafts, I clearly see difference in divot patterns. For me, C-Taper moved my hitting point higher, making the deepest divot. I had no idea why. 

2 hours ago, TangoWhiskey said:

For me, my Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3 iron looks very thick compared to my T100 (2019) 4 iron.

Very much thinner...everywhere.

Edited by PowerCobra98
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR3 Driver - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
Callaway Apex Pro 2H & 3H - Steelfiber FC 75 HY

Callaway X-Forged UT 4i - Steelfiber HLS 880
Mizuno Pro 243 5i-PW - Dynamic Gold 105
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 58* - Dynamic Gold 105
Byron Morgan 615 - Fujikura MC Firm
Callaway Chrome Tour

Curious, are there Trackman / Foresight delivery dynamics that determine if someone is a "sweeper"?

Is there a certain Angle of Attack, Dynamic Loft / Spin Loft threshold?  Not sure if there's a measured value for this, but maybe a longer "flat-spot" at the bottom of the swing arc?

Just difficult for me to imagine a "sweep" where the back of the club would come into play unless more dynamic loft is being delivered than most would desire.

All that said, another option with thin soles with leading edge and trailing edge relief is Ben Hogan with their VT Soles. 

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

18 hours ago, PowerCobra98 said:

Only on WRX would somebody say Mizuno Pro 225's are "thick".  LOL.

So true. The 225 sole looks barely wider than the 223 to me and it may have the thinnest sole I’ve seen yet on a hollow body iron. Very low bounce too. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

225 thick? No chance, but then again everyone on wrx drives it 333. As a fellow sweeper/picker i am moving away from thicker soles which look more forgiving but actually hurt me. I am looking at 225 for thinner sole and low bounce so i can get through the turf, sweep and have the bounce help me instead of hurt me

• Like 4

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

I just want to thank you all for bringing this thread of 'sweepers anonymous' to order. I am gaming the Mizuno MMC MP20s but really struggling for consistent contact. I want to move to something more forgiving, but as a sweeper with a leftward miss, GI clubs and most players distance clubs scare me. 

I like the 225s, but it feels like overkill with a chance of fliers. Would the Apex Pros be a good fit? Has anyone tried the new Cobra Forged Tecs?

• Like 1

u should start a support group named " Sweepers anonymous", group would be packed

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TangoWhiskey said:

For @Brentwalker52: I am a mid capper (or even worse). I use T100's and play much better than with my old Game Improvement Callaways. I played with MP-18 blades for a while and even they were better than the GI's.

I can recommend T100's!

They are thinner than the HMB’s.  They are not a thin overall iron imho.  They are a very nice iron but not especially small and not especially thin soled.  I’m taking some heat for that opinion but I stand by it…I actually started to question my memory of my fitting where the 225 was the winner but didn’t beat out my i210’s.  I went and read a bunch of reviews last night to see if I had lost my mind and almost every one talks about a fairly thick sole and a generous profile.  I guess it depends on what you are comparing it to.  But if t100s are in the conversation as a possibility then the 225 is thick soled.  If ping g710 or srixon zx4 is what it is being compared to then it is in fact thinner.

Edited by jomatty
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, DHoch said:

I just want to thank you all for bringing this thread of 'sweepers anonymous' to order. I am gaming the Mizuno MMC MP20s but really struggling for consistent contact. I want to move to something more forgiving, but as a sweeper with a leftward miss, GI clubs and most players distance clubs scare me. 

I like the 225s, but it feels like overkill with a chance of fliers. Would the Apex Pros be a good fit? Has anyone tried the new Cobra Forged Tecs?

I've never had a flier from my 225's and I've got 6 rounds on them as well as probably 50 practice sessions on my SkyTrak.

Apex Pro's, while comparable, are a little different due to the weaker lofts.  But from a profile standpoint they are certainly in the same ballpark.

As for the 2022 Cobra Forged Tec irons, I actually have a set on order.  I just couldn't resist giving them a shot even though I'm completely committed to my 225's.  I just love the smell of new gear on my doorstep and ripping away the plastic.  Not sure how long it will take for the Cobra's to arrive but I suspect they will be extremely similar to the 225's.

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 Driver - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
Callaway Apex Pro 2H & 3H - Steelfiber FC 75 HY

Callaway X-Forged UT 4i - Steelfiber HLS 880
Mizuno Pro 243 5i-PW - Dynamic Gold 105
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 58* - Dynamic Gold 105
Byron Morgan 615 - Fujikura MC Firm
Callaway Chrome Tour

29 minutes ago, PowerCobra98 said:

I've never had a flier from my 225's and I've got 6 rounds on them as well as probably 50 practice sessions on my SkyTrak.

Apex Pro's, while comparable, are a little different due to the weaker lofts.  But from a profile standpoint they are certainly in the same ballpark.

As for the 2022 Cobra Forged Tec irons, I actually have a set on order.  I just couldn't resist giving them a shot even though I'm completely committed to my 225's.  I just love the smell of new gear on my doorstep and ripping away the plastic.  Not sure how long it will take for the Cobra's to arrive but I suspect they will be extremely similar to the 225's.

u are fully committed to the 225 but ordered the Cobras anyway. I love it, true wrx move

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Finding narrow sole irons that are forgiving is going to be a challenge.  Most forgiving irons have wider soles, blunt leading edges with more bounce designed for the masses - diggers.  Sweepers are somewhat a minority, like left-handed players. LOL

Narrow sole is typically made far better players, using Muscle back blades or player CBs like T100.  I am a sweeper and play relatively narrow sole 620MB & 620CB irons.  Camber is minimal front to back, heel to toe, and have a slightly sharp leading edge with as low bounce as I can find. 

You might have to grow into what you find.

Great, I knew I was in the minority as a left hander and on top of it, a picker!!!

Cleveland UHX (prior model) or Cleveland Lanucher XL (current model)(not the Halo irons) have the V Sole like Srixon. They are strong lofted.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

Been playing MP20 MMCs the past two years and got along with them really well as a sweeper.  Had an elbow injury last fall and now migrating to graphite.  Obvious choice for me were the 225s but they are a long wait and have limited graphite shafts options.  Hit my buddy's G425s with Alta and hit them pretty well.  I hit another friend's i500s with Modus 105s even better.  Long story short, the steel just give me too much pain now.  So I went in the middle and ordered i525s with Alta CB shafts today.  Good compromise and about a 2-3 week wait instead of 2 months from Mizuno.

10 hours ago, Binson said:

Curious, are there Trackman / Foresight delivery dynamics that determine if someone is a "sweeper"?

Is there a certain Angle of Attack, Dynamic Loft / Spin Loft threshold?  Not sure if there's a measured value for this, but maybe a longer "flat-spot" at the bottom of the swing arc?

Just difficult for me to imagine a "sweep" where the back of the club would come into play unless more dynamic loft is being delivered than most would desire.

All that said, another option with thin soles with leading edge and trailing edge relief is Ben Hogan with their VT Soles. 

Usually, thicker soles play like they have a lot of bounce.  That’s better for someone who is steep.  It’s not optimal for some who comes in shallow and doesn’t drive the club down below the ball.  

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

On 5/2/2022 at 11:35 AM, Brentwalker52 said:

If this has been addressed before I apologize, I went through a fitting and was told that since I sweep the ball and almost never take a divot, I would be better served with a iron that has a thinner sole which is completely opposite with what I have been playing! so I'm asking you guys what thinner sole irons are out there with some  forgiveness for a mid capper??? have been looking at rogue pro and apex pro 19 online but open to all brands! Thanks in Advance

No doubt I'm missing something.

Where's the problem ?

As Pepper alluded to a deeper sole is generally a forgiveness enhancer - a thinner/shallower sole is not.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

6 hours ago, Soccerrick10 said:

You really owe it to yourself to try the PXG 0211ST.  Best thin sole iron for turn interaction I’ve ever played AND $89/club if their standard shafts agree with you.

Agreed, price cant be beat! I have the 0211 dualcor and did try the 0211st and gen 4s during my fitting. The smaller head was a little intimidating at first but I hit them very well and never picked up such a small iron before and never hit a blade prior. Loft for loft the distance seemed the same tbh. 0211st felt super nice, but to be fair all 3 were insanely close and utilize the same face anyway.

I basically bruise the grass on all my iron shots and launch my fairway great, can't hit a hybrid straight to save my life. I do miss a lot on the toe with my dualcors but the ball still flies straight - hi5 forgiveness - but I know I can hit it dead center so its annoying. I just bought a set of nike vapor pro blades cheap as a collectable set and to dabble into blades and practice more precise ball striking. Well even with a super small head my eyes got used them in about 5 shots. Played 2 rounds with them and never hit off the toe once basically flushed every shot or sometimes a Lil thin or close to heel but not by much, only lost 5-10yds on those. No hooks or slices either! This got me trying to figure out why I hit them so much better, esp with a 130g stiff steel shaft vs 60g regular graphite. I was really thinking it was the thin sole or low bounce helping me make cleaner contact, my swings were noticeably labored by the end of the rounds with the extra weight but I do have a quick tempo despite a slow swing speed so maybe shaft had a little impact to slow myself down?? Idk...

I'm going to be selling my 0211dc and getting the 0211st if the next round with the vapor pros goes the same (i wanna keep these in good condition).

Question - could bounce be a factor for sweepers too? Wider sole irons usually have like ~4* more bounce than blades @ same loft. I was thinking of bending my irons 2* strong to reduce the bounce a lil and test that theory for the sake of science/fun. Stupid idea?

Edited by Rtkelly2183
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Rtkelly2183 said:

Agreed, price cant be beat! I have the 0211 dualcor and did try the 0211st and gen 4s during my fitting. The smaller head was a little intimidating at first but I hit them very well and never picked up such a small iron before and never hit a blade prior. Loft for loft the distance seemed the same tbh. 0211st felt super nice, but to be fair all 3 were insanely close and utilize the same face anyway.

I basically bruise the grass on all my iron shots and launch my fairway great, can't hit a hybrid straight to save my life. I do miss a lot on the toe with my dualcors but the ball still flies straight - hi5 forgiveness - but I know I can hit it dead center so its annoying. I just bought a set of nike vapor pro blades cheap as a collectable set and to dabble into blades and practice more precise ball striking. Well even with a super small head my eyes got used them in about 5 shots. Played 2 rounds with them and never hit off the toe once basically flushed every shot or sometimes a Lil thin or close to heel but not by much, only lost 5-10yds on those. No hooks or slices either! This got me trying to figure out why I hit them so much better, esp with a 130g stiff steel shaft vs 60g regular graphite. I was really thinking it was the thin sole or low bounce helping me make cleaner contact, my swings were noticeably labored by the end of the rounds with the extra weight but I do have a quick tempo despite a slow swing speed so maybe shaft had a little impact to slow myself down?? Idk...

I'm going to be selling my 0211dc and getting the 0211st if the next round with the vapor pros goes the same (i wanna keep these in good condition).

Question - could bounce be a factor for sweepers too? Wider sole irons usually have like ~4* more bounce than blades @ same loft. I was thinking of bending my irons 2* strong to reduce the bounce a lil and test that theory for the sake of science/fun. Stupid idea?

Those are very strong lofted irons to  bend additionally strong…my guess is that the shaft is helping you make better contact rather than the head size, but no way to know for sure.  I’d be very surprised if it’s the bounce that is making you hit it toe side.

• Like 1

Dipping back in to say that I bought the i525s yesterday over the Apex Pros, 225s, and the new Cobra Forged Tec. I really feel like they gave me the most consistent distances among the bunch. Great looks down at the ball, and because it's a Ping it's basically made out of depleted uranium and so will look great for years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CDM said:

Srixon ZX7.  The bevel sole adds so well in every condition. 

dont they have alot of bounce?