2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Thicker grips and their affects

Do you believe that midsized and jumbo grips would help or hurt putting pressure on the joints in your hands? I have battled sinovitis in my lead thumb for a few years now. I switched to midsized grips in 2019 and wear a medium to medium large glove. 

Second question about larger grips. It used to be thought that the larger the grip the harder it was to turn the club head over. Is this still thought of as accurate?

In search of solid contact...

27 minutes ago, Lefty_3Jack said:

Second question about larger grips. It used to be thought that the larger the grip the harder it was to turn the club head over. Is this still thought of as accurate?

I wear a medium large or large glove depending on the manufacturer.  I play the MCC +4 midsize grips and really like them.  Recently I decided I wanted to try different shafts in my clubs, so in true WRX fashion I bought 2 more 7i identical to my set 7i. The only difference in the clubs right now are the grips, the new clubs both have standard grips on them.  I went to the range to test them before I start making modifications and they both start left of where my normal 7i starts.  I setup to hit a draw as my stock shot, but I setup to hit it right and draw on to the target.  With the smaller grips I was starting at target and turning left faster.  Go back to my standard 7i and flight was back to normal.  I'm not that good at golf, so this could have been a coincidence, but I think the grip made a difference. 

• Like 1

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

37 minutes ago, Lefty_3Jack said:

Do you believe that midsized and jumbo grips would help or hurt putting pressure on the joints in your hands? I have battled sinovitis in my lead thumb for a few years now. I switched to midsized grips in 2019 and wear a medium to medium large glove. 

I find my hands are not as stiff and a little more loose on a larger grip which actually helps me turn the club over, I'm not strangling it, which makes me push right

• Like 1

I currently use jumbo grips (Golfpride Tour Wrap). If I followed the fitting instructions that grip manufacturers use to measure your hand, they tell me mid size is best for me. The Jumbos simply feel better and give me consistency and confidence. In fact, now the middies feel too skinny. My hand is pretty slim and I do have pronounced arthritis. You need to experiment a little even if it means destroying a few grips in the process if you do not have access to a number of clubs with different size grips. Other considerations would be corded vs wraps.

Oh. don't forget the "weight" of the grips will alter swing weight.

Edited by Dinosaur
  • Like 1

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

Use a medium large to large glove but like thinner grips. I sometimes wonder if grip size  is a anatomical or preference. My hands require the reg fit not cadet . But my palm/pad thickness is on the ladies size. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5

4W Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8

8,9 Eleven 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 6&GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Ping Sigma G Ketsch B

I've been playing the JUMBOMAX Ultralights now for at least 4 years. TO ME these are the best grips by far. I can feel where the club face is easier. Also I now use very little grip pressure, I mean barely enough to even hold the club.

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTER -   LAB MEZZ MAX Blue head w/white Accra

LAB MEZZ MAX Red head w/black Accra
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL ON ALL

I get steeper with big grips. Especially noticeable with Jumbomax grips. 

Edited by b.mattay

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS (8), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Taylormade SLDR Mini (12), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

Titleist TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

Srixon U85 (22), PX 6.5

Ping i210 (5-UW), X100

Mizuno T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

DFX 2 Ball Blade 

Srixon Z-Star XV

12 hours ago, Dinosaur said:

I currently use jumbo grips (Golfpride Tour Wrap). If I followed the fitting instructions that grip manufacturers use to measure your hand, they tell me mid size is best for me. The Jumbos simply feel better and give me consistency and confidence. In fact, now the middies feel too skinny. My hand is pretty slim and I do have pronounced arthritis. You need to experiment a little even if it means destroying a few grips in the process if you do not have access to a number of clubs with different size grips. Other considerations would be corded vs wraps.

Oh. don't forget the "weight" of the grips will alter swing weight.

Grip weight doesn't affect the "real" swing weight, it just tricks the scale. Many previous threads on this. Back weighting would be a lot more of a thing on tour if grip weight mattered. 

I've played around a lot with different grip sizes, changes that look fairly minor visually can make a big difference, past a certain point you just can't get the wrists working at all. But it's a cheap and easy thing to test out what works for you. 

Up to the point of the wrists not working, I would agree there's no direct correlation between a thicker grip and reducing hooks.

Edited by hammersia

I went from standard to midsize MCC+4s and its been a revelation. i suffered with golfers elbow in my left arm (im a righty), and subsequently trigger finger in my pinky and ring fingers.  It was constant for a couple of years, helped somewhat by weight training to strengthen the muscles and tendons.  I decided that perhaps grip pressure was the cause, so switched the grips and within 2 months my trigger finger was all but gone, 4 months and my elbow was pretty much back to normal.  I didnt change how much i was playing, practicing etc and havent had any lessons in that time, so the only change i made was the grips.

I still have my draw, more controlled, less snap hooks.  All round, they have really helped my game.  Im a medium or medium/large glove but with quite slim hands.

1 hour ago, i*windows said:

there is a sweet spot between just right and too big, which you can find with trial and error. I have small hands but prefer a midsize grip, which puts less stress on my hands and arms. Never noticed the ball going left or right with different grip sizes

This is why installing grips with air was invented!! 🙂  

• Like 3

This is something I've been testing quite extensively lately.  I don't think bigger grips will have much of an impact on the joints, particularly as much as switching to graphite shaft would.  If I were to pick a grip that would probably help the joints the most, I would go with Enlow Grips.  But that is assuming that your low hand on the grip is your dominant hand.  If you're a cross dominant player (lefty playing righty or vice versa), it may not help out as much.

As far as clubface control goes I think a lot of it depends on your hand size and grip/wrist strength.  Grips that are too big and heavy tend to cause the face to stay open and the ball will launch high and to the push side.  But I also believe that it's more club dependent.  I think someday the science will show that you need different grip sizes/weights for different clubs.  I would imagine one applies far more force to the grip in their swing with a driver than a 7-iron.  Thus a bigger and perhaps heavier grip is needed for better performance with the driver than with a 7-iron.

I have the JumboMax JMX UltraLight Large grips throughout my bag.  I love it in the driver, but it doesn't feel quite as well in the 3-wood and the feel isn't nearly as good in my irons and with my wedges, it's just not good at all.  

RH

3 hours ago, RichieHunt said:

I don't think bigger grips will have much of an impact on the joints, particularly as much as switching to graphite shaft would. 

There are twelve finger joints and two thumb joints. 

A good grip is a match of size and shape. Too thin a grip will have its negative effect over time on the fingers. Size and shape matters. Ask any woman. It goes far deeper than a dirty mindset. Think of hallux valgus and bunionettes.  

1 hour ago, baudi said:

Did you ever chip with a wedge at SW C3-5?  

Grip weight doesn't affect the "real" swing weight, it just tricks the scale.

If C3 comes from a light head weight (say 280g) then yes that’s noticeable and unsuitable for most.

If C3 comes from 60g of backweighting with a 300g head (heavy grip, lead tape under the grip, tourlock weights etc) then that is perfectly playable.

• Like 1

Thicker grips, whether wraps or increased size of grip, has benefits for troubled hands.  I cope with osteoarthritis in my hands, so now use 4 wraps under my standard grip.  Since I switched to composite shafts, combined with 4 wraps, not much of a problem.

Yes, larger circumference grips can inhibit hands from rolling over too quickly.  A pro buddy uses 10 wraps under standard grips for that exact reason.  It slows his hands which helps prevent his miss - an ugly hook.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

17 minutes ago, hammersia said:

If C3 comes from a light head weight (say 280g) then yes that’s noticeable and unsuitable for most.

If C3 comes from 60g of backweighting with a 300g head (heavy grip, lead tape under the grip, tourlock weights etc) then that is perfectly playable.

Example 1 could be a light club; eg. sl wedge for a lady or youngster.

and example 2 could be heavy club for a big guy.  In MOI points the difference could be over 400pts.  Both clubs will play very different due to specs of components. Example 1 might activate the arms enormously for a strong person. Example two could quiet down the wrists and arms. Due to different components. Now reverse and change the grip on a std wedge into 25 grams. The balance point will go down. MOI may drop only 5 points but the swing weight may have moved up to D8+. The wrists wil be activated more. Chipping will be radically different.  For sand shots this might work great.  Some like that others don't. I went as far to G1 on the 3 wood (light grip heavy tip when hit well the ball exploded of the face. But hitting it well took some experience. Light thick grips can have a tremendous effect. On wrist acceleration and control. The scale is not tricked it simply responds and the plot behind has many different outcomes.   

13 hours ago, baudi said:

Example 1 could be a light club; eg. sl wedge for a lady or youngster.

and example 2 could be heavy club for a big guy.  In MOI points the difference could be over 400pts.  Both clubs will play very different due to specs of components. Example 1 might activate the arms enormously for a strong person. Example two could quiet down the wrists and arms. Due to different components. Now reverse and change the grip on a std wedge into 25 grams. The balance point will go down. MOI may drop only 5 points but the swing weight may have moved up to D8+. The wrists wil be activated more. Chipping will be radically different.  For sand shots this might work great.  Some like that others don't. I went as far to G1 on the 3 wood (light grip heavy tip when hit well the ball exploded of the face. But hitting it well took some experience. Light thick grips can have a tremendous effect. On wrist acceleration and control. The scale is not tricked it simply responds and the plot behind has many different outcomes.   

You were correct in repeating what I just said until your last sentence.

The swing weight scale is of no use in measuring any of the setups you mention, it’s an arbitrary number derived from assumed standard weight components, particularly grips.

2 hours ago, hammersia said:

The swing weight scale is of no use in measuring any of the setups you mention, it’s an arbitrary number derived from assumed standard weight components, particularly grips.

Concerning the last sentence I like emphasize the flipside of your findings.  

In my experience a swing weight scale is a very useful instrument in relation the awareness of the used components.

I use MOI and SW scale all the time in assembly.   

To each his own I guess.

On 5/16/2022 at 8:09 PM, Chunkitgood said:

Don’t know about pressure on joints I put jumbo grips on a set for the first time and like them.  “Standard” grip size I think has remained the same for years even though people seem to have gotten bigger.

The OG rubber grips were likely sized to allow an easy transition for people switching from the traditional grip of a single layer of leather wrapped down the shaft. So yeah, probably too thin. 

I started using MCC +4 grips after buying a club that had one installed. Those have been my go-to for the last couple of years. Recently I bought some iron shafts that had Dri Tac LT (less taper) midsize grips. I may like those even better than the +4's, though I assume they'll be less durable. 

The main advantage for me is feeling like my trail/lower hand is less likely to try to assert itself during a shot.

Because our trail/lower hand is usually our dominant one, it tends to react when our brains send a message to DO SOMETHING. If we're tense about a shot or our game is struggling our subconscious mind is likely to activate that hand in some way. Maybe it's tightening our grip, or pushing our shoulder out toward the target line, or whatever. 

Having more grip under my trail hand seems to satisfy my brain that the hand is already doing its job. I don't have the impulse to regrab the club at the top or steer it on the way down. 

On 5/16/2022 at 1:59 PM, Kuuuch said:

I hook the ball with larger grips, not sure why but I know I have no idea where the club face is with them. I’ve got smaller hands for being 6’3”. They aren’t that bad for woods for me but irons are no bueno

that is why there are different sizes , I cannot in any situation go standard on my long clubs, snap hook them, jumbo grips go straight for me, weird how it is different for evrybody

20 hours ago, baudi said:

There are twelve finger joints and two thumb joints. 

A good grip is a match of size and shape. Too thin a grip will have its negative effect over time on the fingers. Size and shape matters. Ask any woman. It goes far deeper than a dirty mindset. Think of hallux valgus and bunionettes.  

Sixteen, not counting the knuckles, unless you’re missing a couple of fingers....🤔

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

I have long fingers and use the Iomic 2.3. It’s between midsize and standard and feels prefect. 

I briefly tried the jumbomax but didn’t give them a chance bc they are hard to fit in a bag 

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

On 5/16/2022 at 3:30 PM, NoTalentLefty said:

Use a medium large to large glove but like thinner grips. I sometimes wonder if grip size  is a anatomical or preference. My hands require the reg fit not cadet . But my palm/pad thickness is on the ladies size. 

I have small hands but love large heavy grips, so dont know about that