Should a ball last more than one or two shots?

HISPL

Hi folks, as the thread title states should a ball last more than a shot or two?

Now, I’m not talking thinning a ball with the leading edge of a club cutting the cover, or losing it in the rough… I’m talking about the cover shredding from a solid wedge shot.

This goes back a few months, first hole I played, hit a 60 degree wedge into the green (Vokey tour issue, bought online and definitely used not brand new) I gather that the grooves on the wedge should be legal, also there is no obvious damage to the face that would seemingly damage the ball. 

Result of that shot was that the cover of the ball (Pro V1 X left dash, bought from my club’s Pro Shop) was destroyed where the wedge contacted it, it wasn’t fit for play after that. 

Went through 6 balls that day… so I took one of them into the Pro Shop and mentioned that I didn’t feel that the durability of the balls was acceptable, I have one of the shredded balls to the manager to send back to the supplier, told them that I was using an SM8 that wasn’t brand new too.

Am I expecting too much from the balls to last, or that they might be replaced?

I’ve used the ProV1X Left Dash before and not had issues, however I bought these from an off course retailer, perhaps I got some that were a bad batch from the Pro Shop?
With the Left Dash that I got from the off course retailer I was using Callaway MD4 wedges and could get an entire round out of the ball.

More recently I’ve been using other balls and their durability is much better than the Left Dash, and that is with the same SM8 wedge that tore the Left Dash balls apart.

Frustratingly this club’s Pro Shop has done a deal with Titleist so that they are an exclusive supplier of balls, which means that any Shop credit I have I’m kind of stuck with… 

Keen to hear your feedback on whether my expectations are too high for a ball that is marketed as being “The #1 ball in golf”. (Based on tour play)

I use the most durable balls that give me the performance I’m looking for. I’ll even sacrifice a little to gain more longevity, in fact.  Noodle Easy-Distance are very, very durable and these are my indoor simulator ball. Outside on course, and a close second in durability, is the Pinnacle Rush. Being a Titleist production, the quality/consistency is there and its flight characteristics give similar results to the Noodle on sim. 

To answer your question though, a single ball should last 3-4 holes, at the very least

Edited by A.Princey

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Definitely seems like a bad batch to me. I'm not a titleist guy, but I do think they have very durable balls. Granted I don't know much about the more niche offerings like the left dash and left dot.

• Like 2

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

Obviously a ball should last for longer than a few shots.  I had to go away from Vice pro plus because it just wasn’t very durable.  After 18 holes the balls were showing a lot of noticeable wear even if they didn’t hit a cart path or have hard tree contact etc.  I really liked the way the ball performed but just couldn’t get past the durability.  I’ve never had an issue with pro v1/x.  I’m currently using Max fli tour x and it’s durability and characteristics are really good for a ball that can be bought for less than $30 a box.  

3 hours ago, jomatty said:

Obviously a ball should last for longer than a few shots.  I had to go away from Vice pro plus because it just wasn’t very durable.  After 18 holes the balls were showing a lot of noticeable wear even if they didn’t hit a cart path or have hard tree contact etc.  I really liked the way the ball performed but just couldn’t get past the durability.  I’ve never had an issue with pro v1/x.  I’m currently using Max fli tour x and it’s durability and characteristics are really good for a ball that can be bought for less than $30 a box.  

Odd, the Pro plus is one of the most durable balls I play. I've played multiple rounds on one ball, with very little scuffing.

• Like 1

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

This probably sounds crazy to some but I tend to avoid products that are most likely to be inauthentic or counterfeited.

I think counterfeit merch is way more prevalent than most of us assume.

If someone is going to go to the trouble of passing off inauthentic items they’re going to go for the leading product in the class. In other words, they’re going to make fake Titleists and not fake Srixons. And they’re probably going to make the regular Pro V1 and not the left dash or some niche model. 

I’m not saying that’s the case here, but one should at least consider that possibility. It may also apply to the wedge for that matter. 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 4

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I play DASH -ProV1x and AVX and at times, hit them hard using wedges or irons.   Average ball lasts 4-6 rounds before simple discoloration has me replace it.   A premium ball properly struck with wedge or iron should last a lot longer than the OP talks about.  Mine do.

Most people think they are striking the ball well, not realizing that's not the case.  They do NOT know the face is not square at impact.  Even though the ball might travel in a planned direction, that doesn't mean the ball won't quickly show wear. 

Let me point out, I get my DASH -ProV1x balls from a reputable dealer.  As large as the LGS is, they do not have them in volume like ProV1 or ProV1x.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

My money is on counterfeit or bad batch. 

Per OP's statement, he's used that same wedge on other brands and not had issues, so I'm not necessarily ready to assign blame to the wedge. And he's had other Left Dash that have had different and better wear characteristics, so it's not like he's saying Left Dash is a poorly designed golf ball. 

For this to happen to two whole sleeves of balls doesn't seem to implicate poor manufacturing. If the entire batch was that poor, I don't think Titleist QC would let it out the door. If a single ball was that poor, I'd understand, because Titleist can only test a sample of each production run, not every ball. But for two whole sleeves to do it? No... Doesn't make sense. 

Wouldn't shock me one bit if these were counterfeit. 

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

On 7/27/2022 at 10:47 PM, HISPL said:

Hi folks, as the thread title states should a ball last more than a shot or two?

Now, I’m not talking thinning a ball with the leading edge of a club cutting the cover, or losing it in the rough… I’m talking about the cover shredding from a solid wedge shot.

This goes back a few months, first hole I played, hit a 60 degree wedge into the green (Vokey tour issue, bought online and definitely used not brand new) I gather that the grooves on the wedge should be legal, also there is no obvious damage to the face that would seemingly damage the ball. 

Result of that shot was that the cover of the ball (Pro V1 X left dash, bought from my club’s Pro Shop) was destroyed where the wedge contacted it, it wasn’t fit for play after that. 

Went through 6 balls that day… so I took one of them into the Pro Shop and mentioned that I didn’t feel that the durability of the balls was acceptable, I have one of the shredded balls to the manager to send back to the supplier, told them that I was using an SM8 that wasn’t brand new too.

Am I expecting too much from the balls to last, or that they might be replaced?

I’ve used the ProV1X Left Dash before and not had issues, however I bought these from an off course retailer, perhaps I got some that were a bad batch from the Pro Shop?
With the Left Dash that I got from the off course retailer I was using Callaway MD4 wedges and could get an entire round out of the ball.

More recently I’ve been using other balls and their durability is much better than the Left Dash, and that is with the same SM8 wedge that tore the Left Dash balls apart.

Frustratingly this club’s Pro Shop has done a deal with Titleist so that they are an exclusive supplier of balls, which means that any Shop credit I have I’m kind of stuck with… 

Keen to hear your feedback on whether my expectations are too high for a ball that is marketed as being “The #1 ball in golf”. (Based on tour play)

Do you have a pic?

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I had the same issue.  I love these balls, but I’m cutting them like crazy, with 20 year old set wedges.  TG2 just had a tour pro mention them cutting easily.  I hope Titleist can address that, knowing that it’s something that a tour pro has noticed, because it’s a great ball that I’d like to be able to continue playing down the road.  As it is, I can’t afford it if I’m going through as many balls as I am.  I’m probably gonna test something else for the durability in the near term, but I’m hoping to come back to these.

• Like 1

Follow “Golf Ball Guts” on Instagram. He cuts through dozens of balls and measures how consistent the cover thickness is on premium balls. Starting in 2020 he noticed a drop off in Titleist quality and consistency. I have no vested interest in this, I just think it’s interesting. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

On 7/30/2022 at 8:18 AM, jordan2240 said:

This can't be a serious question.  Unless it's an exploding gag ball, it should obviously last waaaaaay longer than one or two shots.

Absolutely it is, when I took the balls into the pro shop and spoke to the manager I felt the tone of the conversation coming from him was that I should just “suck it up” and deal with it…

Likely he is the same person that recommended the club sign the exclusive supply deal for balls with Acushnet.

20 hours ago, me05501 said:

Follow “Golf Ball Guts” on Instagram. He cuts through dozens of balls and measures how consistent the cover thickness is on premium balls. Starting in 2020 he noticed a drop off in Titleist quality and consistency. I have no vested interest in this, I just think it’s interesting. 

I do, and that’s why I refuse to play the standard model Pro V1X as the current model has an issue with off centre cores.

• Confused 3

20 hours ago, SteelieD said:

Never gotten SIX rounds 😳 out of a ball but definitely a couple w/o a problem. 

No way. A ball just wants to be lost way before six rounds are complete!

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

2 hours ago, HISPL said:

I do, and that’s why I refuse to play the standard model Pro V1X as the current model has an issue with off centre cores.

So you’re avoiding one kind of Titleist ball over quality issues to play another Titleist ball? Bet they’re all made in the same place. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

38 minutes ago, jwb10 said:

You don't like Titleist, that's cool. But carving up golf balls with ordinary wedges doesn't happen. Please show us what you are claiming.....

Exactly, without pics it isn’t possible to judge the damage. What some people may call “unplayable” is just a scuff to others. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Exactly, without pics it isn’t possible to judge the damage. What some people may call “unplayable” is just a scuff to others. 

Agreed, I like the ball to be pristine. One little nick, and it's in the shag bag. But i have friends who will hit a road, wipe it off and keep playin.. They think I'm nuts, and me, them; so let's see....

Season 3 Episode 24 GIF by The Simpsons

2 minutes ago, Bakes0 said:

Have played left dash for the last year or so and honestly can count the number of times on my hand that I’ve had to take a ball out of play due to damage (aside from hitting a cart path). 

A ball lasting one or two shots is insane, bad batch likely.

Even a bad batch couldn’t be that bad. I regularly restock my shag bag with x outs and they aren’t “unplayable” after 2 shots. All balls will scuff with a full sharp wedge, but don’t see how it could be unplayable 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Even a bad batch couldn’t be that bad. I regularly restock my shag bag with x outs and they aren’t “unplayable” after 2 shots. All balls will scuff with a full sharp wedge, but don’t see how it could be unplayable 

I’m not saying it’s probable but I’ve had it happen once before. Every shot I hit with a wedge or iron cut up an entire sleeve within three holes. Scuff marks where you could peel back the outer layer. Premium ball too, TP5x, I’ve used them before and after that instance and never had that issue, it was truly bizarre.

• Like 1