Ride, walk, and pushcart friendly... Is there a bag unicorn??

I ride around 50% of my rounds, walk and carry 30%, and walk with a pushcart 20%. Are there any stand bags that fit the bill for all three of these? 

Something that is light enough to carry, dual straps for sure. But also has a stand that won’t get too beat up by a pushcart, and the durability to stand up to the straps of a golf cart. 

Thanks for any suggestions!!

I think you will need to make a compromise. Light weight and durability do not go together in golf bags. Hybrid golf bags are push cart and riding cart friendly, but, carrying, while doable, might be a bit less friendly. The Big Max Dri Lite Hybrid golf bag is a lighter weight hybrid bag, but, I don't have any experience with it. 

2 hours ago, bluedot said:

If you’re willing to carry a 6 lb bag, the Ping Hoofer or the Titleist Players 14 or Hybrid 14 work well on push carts because of the stand mechanism; they are not nearly as prone to twisting as the Callaway or Sun Mt bags.

FOR ME, a 6 lb bag is more than I want to carry.  

the sun mountain stand bag is terrible for push carts, and the cart, decent to carry  but I rarely carry

The hoofer lite is probably highest on my list. The ones i’ve seen have a canvas style material which felt pretty durable and the flat-ish base looks like it would be ok for carts.

I don’t know much about brands like jones or vessel so wanted to make sure there wasnt something out there that I just maybe was missing!

I was looking at the Jones Trouper R but it doesn’t appear to work all that well on push carts…  From comments I have seen and looking at the shape of the top which is more oval than round…

My current Hoofer works great on a push cart, riding cart and is well balanced for walking. So I will likely get another. I was just looking to see if there was anything “different” and less mainstream. But I think I will just be disappointed if I move away from the Hoofer. 

8 hours ago, DoughBack18 said:

The hoofer lite is probably highest on my list. The ones i’ve seen have a canvas style material which felt pretty durable and the flat-ish base looks like it would be ok for carts.

I don’t know much about brands like jones or vessel so wanted to make sure there wasnt something out there that I just maybe was missing!

No go on Hoofer light… only 0.5 lbs less than Hoofer, but the water bottle pocket is awful and you give up the magnetic range finder pocket…. It’s the most useless line ever, except for the cool Mr. Ping design…. Then it’s worth it. 

6 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

Last year I bough 27 bags. All stand bags. Also bought three different push carts...

Appreciate all the insights! Haven’t had a hoofer since college and don’t have a lot of experience with vessel but will definitely be looking at these based on your recommendations!!

19 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

Last year I bough 27 bags. All stand bags. Also bought three different push carts. 

Kept tags on everything. Never took them on the course and returned the ones that I didn’t like.,but I did load them all up with clubs. Weighed them all and put them all in a push cart. Carried them around my yard. 

i was coming from a PING Hoofer 2. 

I kept 3 bags: Hoofer Craz-E-Lite, PING Hoofer and Vessel VLS. 

The cart I kept was the Caddy Tek 3 wheel cart. Best neck/top support system of all the carts. Stabilizes the bag so well. 

I walk 90% of my rounds. Ride the rest and rarely rake my push cart. Push cart is for rainy day Tournaments. 

the PING Hoofer is the best all around bag when you consider storage strap system, the cart pass though and it fits exceptionally well in any push cart. 

the cart strap pass through makes the bag very good on a Tenp-o-walk as well. 

don’t get bags with stand mechanism the are are not built into the bottom. Like on the Sun mountain bags…. They don’t sit well on push carts. Get a solid base.. plus this kick stands always break. 

it is a little heavy to carry, but doable if you pack it light. Don’t fill the pockets. Carry 6 balls… etc…. 

The Hoofer Craz-e-lite is the lightest carry bag ever. Plus the strap system is so good. Good storage too for such a light bag. But it is a pure carry bag. It’s not great on a push cart or driving. The structure is too light and the driving cart straps make it tough getting clubs in and out….. but it’s doable. 

impossible to use this bag well on a Temp-o-walk. 

both bags are good because they have a rain hood built in. But the Hoofer CEL is not water resistant at all. Stuff get soaked with a light rain. 

Ths is the ultimate Sunday bag. It’s so light. They 2+pound makes a difference. Is only 3lbs with straps. Use it for tournaments too and easily handles a full 14 clubs with mid size grips. 

enter the vessel VLS. A Unicorn bag it’s weight is right between these other two bags. The strap system is the best ever made. Carries so light. Look at all the threads on this bag.

Wait for a sale…. It’s worth every penny. they do a big Black Friday one every year. 

You can carry, ride or push with this bag. 

the material is also very water resistant. The rain cover is not attached, but I have walked in pretty heavy rain with this and everything stays dry. 

avoid the Lux line. It’s heavier and the material is not as durable as the standard VLS, especially on riding carts. They do look sweet though…

downside is that it has the least storage. I am a light packer though. Carry 10-15 tees, a towel, 6 balls and a Gatorade or Poland spring bottle and my cell phone/keys, range finder. Sometimes a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. 

has room for a light jacket.

Water bottle pocket fits any Gatorade or Poland spring bottle…. But won’t fit hydro flasks and bigger diameter bottle…. But seriously… if you walk regularly, you should not carry this much water…. It adds too much weight. Refill on the course a smaller bottle. This aspect is not relevant to a push cart b/c it has its own water holder. 

If rain is forecasted , I attach the rain hood to the neck and keep it rolled down. 

never wished I needed more room. 

if I was to pick 1 bag- vessel VLS. 

no contest. 

MGS does a great job on their tests of bags. Their spec weights are very accurate too..

all the other bags I returned either had cramped tops, carried poorly, ill fitting straps….. etc. I was so disappointed by Sun mountain. They just don’t sit right on my back. Down right uncomfortable. 

I have had it all, so ask any questions. 

Did any of those 27 happen to be a Titleist Linksmaster? If yes, would love to hear your feedback.

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

I did not. Tried the Carbon bag with titelist. It was supposed to be the lightest, best carry bag from titleist. 

it carried really awkwardly and was very tiny. The top is tight and no storage room.

I never tried the linkmaster because of reviews around weight. See link below with some really good feedback..almost everyone talks about it feeling pretty heavy. Some say it carries lighter..but as someone who carries so much…. There are easily better options with stronger feedback. The primary appeal of this bag is looks from reviews. 

Edited by T_Golf_23
  • Like 1

Not really a single ideal solution for all three types of play. What you want is a bag that works on a push cart and riding cart….my suggestion is the Sun Mountain Sync. Then add a very lightweight carry bag and you are good. 

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

On 9/10/2022 at 2:02 AM, T_Golf_23 said:

Last year I bough 27 bags. All stand bags. Also bought three different push carts. 

Kept tags on everything. Never took them on the course and returned the ones that I didn’t like.,but I did load them all up with clubs. Weighed them all and put them all in a push cart. Carried them around my yard. 

The cart I kept was the Caddy Tek 3 wheel cart. Best neck/top support system of all the carts. Stabilizes the bag so well. 

I walk 90% of my rounds. Ride the rest and rarely rake my push cart. Push cart is for rainy day Tournaments. 

the PING Hoofer is the best all around bag when you consider storage strap system, the cart pass though and it fits exceptionally well in any push cart. 

don’t get bags with stand mechanism the are are not built into the bottom. Like on the Sun mountain bags…. They don’t sit well on push carts. Get a solid base.. plus this kick stands always break. 

it is a little heavy to carry, but doable if you pack it light. Don’t fill the pockets. Carry 6 balls… etc…. 

The Hoofer Craz-e-lite is the lightest carry bag ever. Plus the strap system is so good. Good storage too for such a light bag. But it is a pure carry bag. It’s not great on a push cart or driving. The structure is too light and the driving cart straps make it tough getting clubs in and out….. but it’s doable. 

both bags are good because they have a rain hood built in. But the Hoofer CEL is not water resistant at all. Stuff get soaked with a light rain. 

Ths is the ultimate Sunday bag. It’s so light. They 2+pound makes a difference. Is only 3lbs with straps. Use it for tournaments too and easily handles a full 14 clubs with mid size grips. 

enter the vessel VLS. A Unicorn bag it’s weight is right between these other two bags. The strap system is the best ever made. Carries so light. Look at all the threads on this bag.

Wait for a sale…. It’s worth every penny. they do a big Black Friday one every year. 

the material is also very water resistant. The rain cover is not attached, but I have walked in pretty heavy rain with this and everything stays dry. 

avoid the Lux line. It’s heavier and the material is not as durable as the standard VLS, especially on riding carts. They do look sweet though…

downside is that it has the least storage. I am a light packer though. Carry 10-15 tees, a towel, 6 balls and a Gatorade or Poland spring bottle and my cell phone/keys, range finder. Sometimes a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. 

Water bottle pocket fits any Gatorade or Poland spring bottle…. But won’t fit hydro flasks and bigger diameter bottle…. But seriously… if you walk regularly, you should not carry this much water…. It adds too much weight. Refill on the course a smaller bottle. This aspect is not relevant to a push cart b/c it has its own water holder. 

If rain is forecasted , I attach the rain hood to the neck and keep it rolled down. 

no contest. 

MGS does a great job on their tests of bags. Their spec weights are very accurate too..

all the other bags I returned either had cramped tops, carried poorly, ill fitting straps….. etc. I was so disappointed by Sun mountain. They just don’t sit right on my back. Down right uncomfortable. 

This is such a terrific post. Thank you for sharing all these details.

I’m looking for a walking-only bag. I know the specs, but how much do you find yourself feeling the extra weight of the VLS compared to the CEL on your back? Is it a particularly noticeable difference?

I’m also wondering if you tried the Sun Mountain 2.5+, and if so, what stood out about the CEL over it?

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

I did try the 2.5+. It was super light and the top opening is the most spacious of any of the light bags. 

also, the kick stand features totally eliminates any snagging. 

BUT…. I could not get comfortable with it on my back. The straps did not sit right no matter what I did. Same thing with the 3.5. There was also a piece of the top neck that kept digging on my back. You don’t realize this until load it with clubs. One of my playing partners got one and would complain as well the straps never sat right. 

This combined with the kick stand feature being tough for push carts and riding….. it was a no go. 

Regarding the VLS and CEL - when I have a full set of clubs and carry, the VLS is much more comfortable despite the added weight because the shoulder strap are so well padded and the carry system takes the weight off the back so well. 

You do feel the CEL being lighter but the straps with a full bag wear on the shoulders more in the late round due to the thinner padding and less advanced carry system. 

also the CEL lacks the magnetic range finder pocket. 

as a Sunday bag though….. playing 9 holes with 10 clubs, the CEL weighs in at less than 15 pounds. It’s like carrying nothing. 

if I was to pick on bag only, you can’t beat the VLS. Hands down the best bag on the market. I never tried the DXR version, but it weighs in at 0.3 lbs lighter, but I don’t know the durability in rain. 

the rain literally beads off the standard VLS. I poured water on the outside and nothing goes through. As a walker, its a big deal for those summer pop up showers in the NE. 

in have the navy blue and it looks as new as the day in bought it.

Regarding snagging -  all these bags do it a little bit…. Any bag with a folding base does. But if you have had a Hoofer or any bag like this before, you just tilt it upright and all the clubs easily slide in…… even with MCC+4 midsized grips. I never even give it a second thought considering how much you gain in advantages. 

fyi - I think PGA superstore carries vessel bags now to try out. But buy directly from vessel. They give so many discounts through. The year, especially Black Friday. 

FE915015-7121-4DFE-994B-74B57380060D.jpeg.955de3f0b0d73d72666fff33f65604ed.jpeg2DC93A33-49B6-4809-8AF6-01147068B1D4.jpeg.a26265c29a7a4d1bd047b0ec3f7c6b88.jpegA5E51C98-2E6F-48A0-9160-0C7870603264.jpeg.af78e43edab1197ae7243b6e4a6bb63c.jpeg242055F5-BC21-440A-9745-4B85D48CEE31.jpeg.e4507498d51d076990b7d753c9bce8a2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

BUT…. I could not get comfortable with it on my back. The straps did not sit right no matter what I did. Same thing with the 3.5. There was also a piece of the top neck that kept digging on my back. You don’t realize this until load it with clubs. One of my playing partners got one and would complain as well the straps never sat right. 

Part of this persistent problem is Sun Mountain itself. There is a video of how to adjust the straps. It appears that they said, hey Joe, go make a video, and Joe had no idea what he was doing.

Better way - 

There are two adjustment points on each strap; a high (above and behind your shoulders) and one low, near your sternum. The high ones should only position the pads vertically, and  most importantly equally across your shoulders. If they are used to position the bag, it won’t fit well or feel balanced. The lower straps are used to position the overall bag placement on your back, and then to create the appropriate angle to retain the clubs while walking.

• Like 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

21 hours ago, Ripken08 said:

Standard 5 way Hoofer and it's not even close.  Durable, comfortable, sits on a push cart well.  BTW it is NOT 6lb, more like 5-5.5 and even if it was 6, it wouldn't feel like it.

I agree here. Whenever I was still carrying I would always default to Hoofer. The way it sits on your shoulders and the balance makes it so much better than any bag out there. I currently have a Titleist and have owned 2 Vessels. None of them are engineered like the Hoofer for carrying. It also works very well on a cart and push cart so ultimately I would go that route.

I am currently using the SM C130S great carry, push cart or riding golf bag (added an additional shoulder sleeve for those days I carry), i also have a Ping Hoofer 14, it is lighter than the C130S just less room and the clubs can get snagged in the dividers, no issues with this with the C130S...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

On 9/8/2022 at 8:53 PM, DoughBack18 said:

I ride around 50% of my rounds, walk and carry 30%, and walk with a pushcart 20%. Are there any stand bags that fit the bill for all three of these? 

Something that is light enough to carry, dual straps for sure. But also has a stand that won’t get too beat up by a pushcart, and the durability to stand up to the straps of a golf cart. 

Thanks for any suggestions!!

I’ve recently switched to the Jones Utility.  Not the Utility Trouper, but the newer, smaller Utility Stand. 

So far, it’s a nice lean bag. Acceptable storage and a comfortable carry.  Rides well in a push cart because it has a flat bottom with no external stand trigger, and sturdy enough to be strapped in to a cart. 

When I walk I only carry 11 clubs. If you must carry 14 or use big grips this may feel too tight or have club tangle issues. 

Ping G425 - Oban Revenge 5
2h & 4h Ping G410 - Ping Tour 90
5-9 Srixon Z585 - Steelfiber FC90cw
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 46* & 50* 

TM Bigfoot Raw 56* 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten
Vice Pro

Hoofer Lite, it's the best bag the last several years by far.  If you need to carry more stuff, go Hoofer.  Personally I like the slimmer look and don't need all the pockets within pockets that the Hoofer has, so the Lite is ideal for me.

• Like 2

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

• 1 month later...

Callaway has a unicorn bag for this exact situation coming in the spring. Keep an eye out

Edited by Skeough
  • Like 1

PGA of Canada Class A & TPI Golf Level 2 Certified
Callaway Paradym TD LS  9* -> Ventus Black 6X 
Callaway Paradym TD 15* to 16* -> Ventus Black 7X
Callaway Apex UW 21* -> Ventus Black 8X
Callaway Apex MB 2021 7-PW / Apex Pro 4-6 -> DG TI X100
Callaway JAWS Raw 50W/56X/60C(FT) -> DG TI S400
Toulon Las Vegas H7 - 33"
Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track 360

On 11/4/2022 at 12:11 PM, Skeough said:

Callaway has a unicorn bag for this exact situation coming in the spring. Keep an eye out

Unless Callaway decides to make a bag with the stand mechanism integrated into the bottom of the bag instead of being an external foot, it won’t be a unicorn any more than their current bags or the SM bags.  Maybe they will change this, but I’ll have to see it.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, bluedot said:

Unless Callaway decides to make a bag with the stand mechanism integrated into the bottom of the bag instead of being an external foot, it won’t be a unicorn any more than their current bags or the SM bags.  Maybe they will change this, but I’ll have to see it.

I agree, same thing with Sunmountain

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Just purchased a Maxfli Air 2021 stand bag on sale at Dick's for half off (i.e. $90).  It has the stand mechanism incorporated into the bottom of the bag rather than sticking out separately.  Jury is still out on how well it might work on a pushcart, but it's great for walking at less than 3lbs and looks like it would be fine on a riding cart.  The four pockets are sufficient for what most would carry, and it also has a drink pouch.  Not sure it would fit a full set of 14 clubs well with only 4 slots, but if you pared it down to 8 or so (I only carry 7), it should work fine.  Might be worth a look.

On 9/10/2022 at 2:02 AM, T_Golf_23 said:

no contest. 

What are your thoughts on the stand bags from Mizuno

BR-D4 or the K1-LO

Do you have any experience with them?

I have an old Hoofer and was looking to get a new bag next year 

I do walk a lot during the week but I ride in the cart on the weekends 

So I need a bag that can do both

Thanks in advance

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

I didn’t like the straps. They have a fixed point in the back and I couldn’t get comfortable. 

coming from a Hoofer you will be disappointed. 

the new vessel VLS DXR in grey looks awesome. My vessel rides very well,  but storage is limited. 

the best crossover bag would be the standard Ping Hoofer. It is 5.5lbs but carries so well and so much lighter. I have this bag as well and love it. 

on the cart it has a pass through storage strap so all pockets are accessible. It leaves you wanting nothing.

don’t  go with the light. You only save 0.5 lbs but give up tons of storage and a water bottle holder that is deficient. 

people rave about the vessel player 3, but it is very heavy at 7lbs. The strap stands is awesome though. I could never make these a daily carry bag…. I don’t need all that extra storage. I pack light when I carry. 

The bags are a little fragile and can be damaged by cart straps, that is why you need the strap sleeve from vessel. Kind of annoying. 

The standard Hoofer will check all the boxes. Coming from another Hoofer, you know how to handle the club snag. It’s a small draw back to all the benefits..

12 hours ago, scott406 said:

What are your thoughts on the stand bags from Mizuno

BR-D4 or the K1-LO

Do you have any experience with them?

I have an old Hoofer and was looking to get a new bag next year 

I do walk a lot during the week but I ride in the cart on the weekends 

So I need a bag that can do both

Thanks in advance

• Thanks 2