2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How FAST can you walk 18?

FormerBigDaddy

Walked 18 carrying a bag for the first time in forever.  1:30/2:15 with heavy traffic on the back nine.  Course was swampy and CPO. Planned ahead and emptied the lightest bag, took a few clubs out and zippy!

Best scoring round in a long while too!!

Edited by SnowbirdTom
  • Like 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

On 12/12/2022 at 2:49 PM, SnowbirdTom said:

Walked 18 carrying a bag for the first time in forever.  1:30/2:15 with heavy traffic on the back nine.  Course was swampy and CPO. Planned ahead and emptied the lightest bag, took a few clubs out and zippy!

Best scoring round in a long while too!!

And I’m hooked on walking again.  Played a total of three rounds now with bag on shoulder this week.  For those that walk, how can a twosome in a cart hold up two walkers?  🤪  I caught them after teeing off to an empty course in front of me and I wasn’t playing fast, but just enjoying the day.  Four holes later, there they are.  Never considered letting me play thru as a single. Another walker caught me on 8 and we followed them around the rest of the course.

My back and legs thank me for the workout at 65 now.

• Like 2

TM Spider GT-X putter

On 10/17/2022 at 10:21 AM, MelloYello said:

I have absolutely no idea how someone could walk a golf course that's 7,000-yds from the back tees in less than 3-hours and not be running. 

I play a lot of 9-hole rounds by myself in the evenings as practice and my top speed is about 1:45. You could double that (3:30) for 18 but that's still my top speed. 

I can see why PoP is such a complaint for some. Either you're moving insanely fast or you're just playing courses that are very small (nothing wrong with that, btw). 

Bottom line, if I walked 18 I would expect it to take between 3:45 and 4-hrs.

Things that slow me down:

Arriving at the next hole only to have to walk back to the tees you're playing 

Having to walk up big hills.

Having to cross small roads in a neighborhood.

Crossing underneath a highway and coming back (req'd on each of our 9s). 

I don’t know your course and that sounds like it has alot to do with it but anything remotely approaching 4 hours to walk 18 as a single and not being held up by anyone seems brutally slow. We play every Saturday and Sunday morning at a 9 hole club I’m a member at. It plays 3300ish from the blue tees. Tee boxes and greens are decently close together but it’s a little hilly. At a comfortable pace just playing in a groove we typically play a 3 ball in 9 in about 1:20. Never any longer than 1:40. And that’s as a 3 ball and some of the guys are pushing 70. 

9 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

And I’m hooked on walking again.  Played a total of three rounds now with bag on shoulder this week.  For those that walk, how can a twosome in a cart hold up two walkers?  🤪  I caught them after teeing off to an empty course in front of me and I wasn’t playing fast, but just enjoying the day.  Four holes later, there they are.  Never considered letting me play thru as a single. Another walker caught me on 8 and we followed them around the rest of the course.

My back and legs thank me for the workout at 65 now.

Happens to me all the time. Generally the first group(s) out are rabbits, but on occasion you'll get a slower group, including twosomes. Since they were a twosome, I assume they thought that a foursome would be behind them, so no hurry, and no need to look behind. That really ticks me off. I don't care how fast or slow one is playing, once should have their head on a swivel. 

You can tell very quickly why you caught them. Are they playing ready golf, or is one player sitting in the cart while the other hits, and then driving 10 yds to the other ball? Are they taking forever to get off the tee? Blows my mind when I wait for a twosome to clear the green, hit my approach, chip up, putt out, and then walk to the next teebox to find the twosome still hitting.

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Got teamed up with a threesome in carts today with me walking.  “Damn, you play fast!”  Not really, just ready to play all

the time.  It helped that I was 40-50 yards longer than them off the tee and more accurate with approaches.  lol. We played the senior tees and I was forced to club down off the tee a few times. Still real soggy and fought the fat short shots because wedges dug rather than bounce.

Found out my limits today.  3 rounds a week walking is it for now.  Last three holes were seriously a job.

• Like 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

Me and my buddy got a round in within 2.5hrs

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5*, Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Max 3Wood 14.5*, Ventus Blue Velocore

Ping G425 Max 3Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue Velocore HB

Taylormade SIM 4 DHY 22, Diamana Limited HY

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5-GW, Project X IO

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/12D, 58/14K

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch

• 1 month later...

A friend and I played 18 the other day in 2 hours 30 ish walking and putting out. It was getting dark, so the last few holes were played a faster pace. 

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

Walked 18 today in 3 hours. I was joined by a twosome riding, and it was some good, ready golf. 

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I’ve walked 18 holes in under 2 hours with a push cart.  I was playing solo and a couple groups let me through.  It was fast walking/almost jogging when the groups let me through so I could get out of their way, otherwise it was just a good walking pace trying to beat sunset and it wasn’t that difficult because I kept the ball in play the whole time.  I got lucky hitting it well, if I’d had a worse ball striking day I wouldn’t have been able to finish the round.

17 minutes ago, ksteezyy said:

some of yall are really fast lol

Funny thing is that I don't consider myself fast. I play with a purpose, and don't muck around. Rarely take a practice swing, get my yardage from my GPS as I'm walking to my ball, don't take 11 looks at putts from 9 angles. Hit the ball and go. Play proper ready golf. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/29/2022 at 10:41 AM, Argonne69 said:

All these "crazy" players getting around in less than 2.5 hours. So where do courses get the idea that walkers slow down the pace? I can't even begin to count the number of arguments I've had with course staff that insist that I ride because of pace of play. I've found that players that prefer walking tend to know how quickly they can get around. Baffling. 

Well I played today w/my son. We were paired w/two guys that were walking, we had a cart. We had to wait for them on every tee box to tee off. And after teeing off we would get to our balls well before they got to theirs. So they indeed slowed us up. Can’t speak on your experience with this, just giving you mine on this day. 

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TiScape said:

Well I played today w/my son. We were paired w/two guys that were walking, we had a cart. We had to wait for them on every tee box to tee off. And after teeing off we would get to our balls well before they got to theirs. So they indeed slowed us up. Can’t speak on your experience with this, just giving you mine on this day. 

^ My experience.  We have one guy who walks all the time, 3 of us in carts. We wait several times a round, unless we’re waiting on the group ahead.   He is not slow. 

Our first-out fastest walking group plays in about 3 hrs.  Occasionally I’ll play early by myself in a cart, not rushing but not doddling. Flag in etc.  About 2 hrs.  

Maybe it’s the course, shorter, and tees near the last green that these 2-2 1/2 hr walking rounds are on.  Our course has some distance from green to tee on many holes.  

Pga tour record is 1 hr, 29 mins. Caddie and player running between shots, caddie goes ahead, flag in, short putts with wedge after chipping etc.  Player shot 69.  

YMMV.  

• Like 1

I play a course that's about 6000yds from white, 6500yds from blue. Its pretty much 6.5 miles for me to walk with my electric push cart from either tee. I can solo it in 2:15. My normal 3 some plays in about 3.5 hours, but the other two guys are in carts.

These are times with little to no other golfers on course.

Edited by thezinfan

Mizuno STZ Driver

Titleist TS3 3W

Titleist TS3 5W

Titleist TS2 21H

Mizuno JPX919HMP 5i-9i,PW

Vokey SM9 50.12F

Vokey SM8 56.12D (Bent to 54)

Vokey SM8 58.12D

Odyssey DFX #7

I want to know how long you people play from that say you could walk 18 in 2:20 to 2:30. 

Are you professionals or really good Ams? Assuming you're course is a normal length, 6400 or more, you're going to walk probably 5.5-6 miles, pending layout. 3mph walk is normal. That's almost 2 hours purely walking from shot to shot and green to next tee. So those of you who claim you think you can walk 18 in 2.5, are you shooting 70 or less? Because that leaves you with 30-40 minutes to make 70 strokes, which is just over 30 seconds per shot. I bet between assessing lie, picking target, pre shot routine, reading putts... You're closer to 1 minute than 30 seconds. 

Niemann literally jog sprinted his entire round and just barely beat 2 hours. I'm sure it is possible but I feel like every shot would need to be pretty much spot on, no errant shots at all, barely no time spent reading putts, etc.

This is home of the 300 yard carry though... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

I want to know how long you people play from that say you could walk 18 in 2:20 to 2:30. 

Are you professionals or really good Ams? Assuming you're course is a normal length, 6400 or more, you're going to walk probably 5.5-6 miles, pending layout. 3mph walk is normal. That's almost 2 hours purely walking from shot to shot and green to next tee. So those of you who claim you think you can walk 18 in 2.5, are you shooting 70 or less? Because that leaves you with 30-40 minutes to make 70 strokes, which is just over 30 seconds per shot. I bet between assessing lie, picking target, pre shot routine, reading putts... You're closer to 1 minute than 30 seconds. 

Niemann literally jog sprinted his entire round and just barely beat 2 hours. I'm sure it is possible but I feel like every shot would need to be pretty much spot on, no errant shots at all, barely no time spent reading putts, etc.

I stated 6000-6400yds. I play the same course almost everyday, usually with one ball. Shoot in the 70's usually. No need to spend a ton of time reading putts when you have the greens memorized. If you are in good health, you can usually walk around 4mph without breaking a sweat.

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ Driver

Titleist TS3 3W

Titleist TS3 5W

Titleist TS2 21H

Vokey SM9 50.12F

Vokey SM8 58.12D

Odyssey DFX #7

1 hour ago, Z1ggy16 said:

I don’t know if it was in this thread or not, but I posted a walking round that I tracked on Runkeeper. I think it was at 5 1/2 miles and around or just under 2:30. Like the previous poster said, if you know your course, hit it reasonably straight, and don’t have long green to tee walks, it’s quite doable. 

And even 30 seconds would be long to get the shot off. Combining the course knowledge with a GPS watch, by the time I set the bag down I know the distance, lie just takes a glance, one quick waggle/practice swing and ball is gone. And really only probably what, 15 or so shots out of those 70+ even have to account for other factors. Probably have numerous tap in putts, grab driver 10-12 times a round. My course doesn’t have many bunkers either  That’s a time saver if you’re not having to rake. But the old school parkland courses really are set up so you can around fairly quickly. 

EDIT: went back and looked. It was on page three. 5 miles, 2:07. Runkeeper said it was 5:34 am on a Sunday morning. Obviously first one out that day😀

Edited by deadsolid...shank
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

I generally play 6200 to 6400 yds. However, I take photos from the tips on practically every hole. I'd say 40% of the time there's a hike to the back tees (i.e. one doesn't pass the back tees on the way to the forward tees), which actually makes the total distance covered greater than the total length given that I have to retrace steps to get to the forward tees.

Generally shooting mid to high 70s. Don't think I take a minute on most shots. Certainly don't take a minute and a half. 30 seconds is about right for a tee shot or approach. Keep in mind that ~25% of shots are less than 3 feet on the greens. 

I played Southern Pines yesterday. 6695 yds from the tips. I was following a twosome, and taking quite a few pics. Finished in just under 3 hours.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

So while it's possibly, it's an extremely rare circumstance - guys who shot 70s who can maintain a 4mph walk for 2 hours, and play the same course all the time.... At 6am. A true golfWRX perfect storm lol. I'm jealous, I just played a 5 hour round yester with 3 guys who drove it 160 yards 🙃

Well, if it makes you feel any better, almost all my rounds now are also in that five hour range too. Don’t get the course to myself anymore. Although most of the guys I play with do hit it farther than 160 yards. 

~3h to walk 18 is about right.

Mostly depends on the layout of the course. Lots of up / down hill slows me down a good bit. Deep bunkers are an issue too, I have to be really careful climbing down in….a slip and fall would be a Problem. So I try not to hit it there. 

I’m an efficient player but I won’t / can’t rush.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

11 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

2:30 is very possible so i believe it, i've done it many times from 6600-6700 which is what my course plays. I don't think you have to walk 5.50-6 miles. 6600yds is 3.75 miles so if you're walking a relatively straight line you don't need to walk all that much more than that

I hit 13-14 GIRs in a lot of rounds, so if i'm driving it well i stay pretty on track with a straightish line. I am a runner so i'd bet i walk closer to 4mph if i'm pushing it even a bit. And that's now maybe just over an hour of actual walking. (if you're hitting it straight and walking even a bit faster than average)

Like with any kind of speed record, the lower you go the more every increment matters. Niemann playing a 7300yd course in 1:59 is WAY faster than me playing a 6600yd course in 2:20 or 2:30. That's like comparing the (passive brag alert) 4.6 in ran in the 40 in college to Tyreek Hill's 4.3 and being like, hey i'm almost as fast as Tyreek!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

13 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

I play in around 2 hours 2-220 depending on traffic regularly (ie multiple times a week) in the afternoon from 6400-6800 yards. 30 seconds would be a long time to hit a shot. All factors are observed while walking. A quick glance at lie and shooting the distance is about 10 seconds on the long end. Hit the shot and start walking. Club can be cleaned and returned to the bag while in motion. 

3 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

So while it's possibly, it's an extremely rare circumstance - guys who shot 70s who can maintain a 4mph walk for 2 hours, and play the same course all the time.... At 6am. A true golfWRX perfect storm lol. I'm jealous, I just played a 5 hour round yester with 3 guys who drove it 160 yards 🙃

The OP asked whats the fastest you can walk an open (not crowded) course. We are just answering lol. He's not asking about a full saturday golf course.

Mizuno STZ Driver

Titleist TS3 3W

Titleist TS3 5W

Titleist TS2 21H

Vokey SM9 50.12F

Vokey SM8 58.12D

Odyssey DFX #7