Srixon ZX MKII Irons

Ryan19jwu

@jjfcpa I got my ordered submitted on the morning of 1/17, and they have been delivered today.  That event takes into account that there were two legs of shipment (I assume) since DD had to receive them, and then ship them from OR to TX.  At least I assume Srixon doesn't drop ship, but maybe they do.

Dr - still working on it

G430 Max 15 / PING Tour Black 2.0 75S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

i230 6-P / Modus 115S

s159 50, 54, 58 / Modus 125 Wedge

LAB DF3

7 hours ago, Arlin964 said:

I preordered with DD and they are out for delivery today!  I did a combo set of ZX4 6-7 and ZX5 7-P bent weak.  I suppose this is kind of like the Mark Crossfield weirdo combo set he does with two PW's.  The ZX4's will effectively be my 5 and 6 irons. 

ZX4 7 iron will be 28.5* and ZX5 7 iron will be 33*.  4.5 degrees of separation there should be enough considering they're both 37" long.  And that makes my ZX5 short irons a little spinnier and a little shorter in distance, which should work well for me.  The extra height won't bother me.  I like the idea of my shorter irons going shorter distances because that is easier for me to manage a 135yd PW instead of a 140-145yd PW.  Since I'm not really a "feel" player in my 100-160yd approach distances, I need to be very comfortable with my clubs in those distances.  I'd rather get a few of them bunched up under 160 than say 180-210.  I'm mentally ok with larger gaps on the longer end of the bag.

Not only did I do a weird combo set of iron heads, I also put KBS C-Taper 120S HSx1 in the ZX4's and C-Taper 130X in the ZX5's.  I like the utility of Ascending Mass as I go down toward short irons, but I don't really like stepped shafts as much as stepless (C-Taper, PX, and PXLS are some of my favorite).  Adam at DD said in all his years, this is the oddest combo set he's ever done.  I am happy to wear that title!

I'll do my best to get some photos comparing the 4's and 5's.  Now that I believe I have found the best shafts for my swing, I am super excited to play these against the i230's to figure out which ones stay in my bag for the year.  I have tested a LOT of clubs over the last 12 months and I finally feel like I'm honing in on the combos that work best for me.  If this exact setup doesn't work like I want, no problem, I'll just bend what I need to and order single irons to fit my needs.

Good news:  Irons were delivered.

Bad news:  shafts were wrong on the ZX5s.

I guess that's what I get for making such a complicated setup.  I'll wait to hear from DD about whether I work with them or directly with Srixon to get the shafts replaced.  Surprisingly this is the first time I've ever gotten something just wrong.  Lofts or lies have come out of spec, but components have always been correct.

I ordered the ZX5s with KBS C-Taper 130X and they came with C-Taper Lite 115X.

Dr - still working on it

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

i230 6-P / Modus 115S

LAB DF3

1 hour ago, Arlin964 said:

Good news:  Irons were delivered.

Bad news:  shafts were wrong on the ZX5s.

I guess that's what I get for making such a complicated setup.  I'll wait to hear from DD about whether I work with them or directly with Srixon to get the shafts replaced.  Surprisingly this is the first time I've ever gotten something just wrong.  Lofts or lies have come out of spec, but components have always been correct.

I ordered the ZX5s with KBS C-Taper 130X and they came with C-Taper Lite 115X.

It sounds like DD dropped the ball. I have ordered via my club pro's Srixon Golf Portal, it is very easy to specify correct shaft on it.

• Like 1

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Qi10 9*, GD XC-6 stiff

Tour Exotics EXS 16.5 FW & 20 Hybrid

Qi10 Rescue 25* & 28* UST V2

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey Ai-One #7 Broomstick 46"

2 hours ago, br61 said:

It sounds like DD dropped the ball. I have ordered via my club pro's Srixon Golf Portal, it is very easy to specify correct shaft on it.

I think it was actually Srixon. The build sheet that was included showed the right components so it must have just been a mistake by an assembler. 

• Like 3

Dr - still working on it

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

i230 6-P / Modus 115S

LAB DF3

2 hours ago, gsrjc said:

ZX4 - 4 iron

ZX5 - 5-6 iron

ZX7 - 7-pw

I am considering going with something similar to this.

Has anyone been able to compare the ZX4 MK2 and the new ZK utility 4 iron?  

So far I’ve only been able to demo the ZX4, ZX5, and ZX7 in 7 iron and the utility in a 2 iron.  I liked the ZX4 much better than I thought I would and think it could actually be a better 4 iron option than the utility.

Edited by 5yddraw
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 5yddraw said:

So far I’ve only been able to demo the ZX4, ZX5, and ZX7 in 7 iron and the utility in a 2 iron.  I liked the ZX4 much better than I thought I would and think it could actually be a better 4 iron option than the utility.

I did not try the ZK utility. 

4 hours ago, 5yddraw said:

5 hours ago, gsrjc said:

Impressions of the feel differences? How does the ZX4 MKii feel compared to the other two?

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

14 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Impressions of the feel differences? How does the ZX4 MKii feel compared to the other two?

ZX7 feels slightly softer than the OG. 
ZX5 feels slightly more clicky than the OG. 
ZX4 which I had been never hit the OG feels just like the ZX7. I’m not sure what was done to the head to make it feel soft but it’s amazing. The sound off the face is like the ZX7 too. 

Edited by gsrjc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, gsrjc said:

ZX7 feels slightly softer than the OG. 
ZX5 feels slightly more clicky than the OG. 
ZX4 which I had been never hit the OG feels just like the ZX7. I’m not sure what was done to the head to make it feel soft but it’s amazing. The sound off the face is like the ZX7 too. 

It’s a cast head with a forged face. To my knowledge there is nothing inside it that is not metal. It is impressive the way they can engineer sound these days.

The ZX5 is a great iron and I think the difference is that it has the SUP10 face insert. Gives a little different feedback, but still a solid, pleasant feel. I also compared the Srixon heads to the Mizunos and the ZX5 is akin to the Hot Metal Pro and the ZX4 is like the standard Hot Metal. The ZX5 is a little thicker overall than the HMP but that also makes the Srixon look more compact. The sizes are fine by me. It’s tough to choose between them all.

I like your combo, though I likely would jump to the ZX7 at 8 iron instead of 7. I kind of like having an option there between the forgiving ZX5 and precision ZX7, depending on the distance.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

It’s a cast head with a forged face. To my knowledge there is nothing inside it that is not metal. It is impressive the way they can engineer sound these days.

The ZX5 is a great iron and I think the difference is that it has the SUP10 face insert. Gives a little different feedback, but still a solid, pleasant feel. I also compared the Srixon heads to the Mizunos and the ZX5 is akin to the Hot Metal Pro and the ZX4 is like the standard Hot Metal. The ZX5 is a little thicker overall than the HMP but that also makes the Srixon look more compact. The sizes are fine by me. It’s tough to choose between them all.

I like your combo, though I likely would jump to the ZX7 at 8 iron instead of 7. I kind of like having an option there between the forgiving ZX5 and precision ZX7, depending on the distance.

Interesting how just the face is forged but cast head still would feel that good. If it wasn’t for the wider sole, I’d even consider all ZX4. 

I’m sure you could hit the ZX7 7 iron. I had it in the 6 iron before but changed to the ZX5 not because of the forgiveness but because the only difference was the ZX5 height was 20 feet higher. 

15 hours ago, gsrjc said:

Being built as I type. 

ZX4 - 4 iron

ZX5 - 5-6 iron

ZX7 - 7-pw

Previously used combo 4-6 (ZX5) and 7-pw (ZX7). Keeping same LA golf 105S shafts. 

Great combo!  lofts? I loved feel and looks of ZX4 but not sure how to combo with ZX5 given the loft gaps (e.g. ZX4 7i - 28.5º; ZX5 8i - 35º). I would appreciate your feedback

Cobra AEROJET LS GD AD IZ 6
TM Stealth 15 Ventus Red 6

Callaway UW 19 Hzrdus Smoke Black
Cobra King Utility 4i MMT
Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-7i / ZX7 8-PW SteelFiber i95
Cleveland CBX2 50 / RTX6 56 /RTX6 60
Cobra King Vintage Stingray / Scotty Cameron Newport 2

2 hours ago, mortimer said:

Great combo!  lofts? I loved feel and looks of ZX4 but not sure how to combo with ZX5 given the loft gaps (e.g. ZX4 7i - 28.5º; ZX5 8i - 35º). I would appreciate your feedback

A couple of ways to blend them.

1. You could bend the ZX4 7 iron 2 degrees weak and bend the ZX5 8 iron 1/2 degree strong to create a 30.5-34.5 setup. 

You also would need to bend the other ZX4 irons in the set accordingly. But you wouldn’t have to bend the other ZX5s as long as you’re fine with a 4.5 degree gap between your 8 and 9 iron, which is no

big deal. 

2. You also could just bend the ZX4 7 iron 2 degrees weak and create the 4.5 degree gap between the 7 and 8 iron. 

I find a 4.5 to 5 degree gap vs 4 degree gaps matters less in the shorter irons because the loft is so high that it mainly affects shot height more than distance. 

3. You also could leave the ZX4 as is and bend the ZX5s 2 degrees strong. That would give you a 4.5 gap from your 28.5 7 iron and 33 degree 8 iron. 

You have 2 degrees to play with either way on each club without having to worry about affecting playability. Srixon will bend at the factory plus or minus 2 degrees or less. People usually do it to dial in spin more than anything. 

The only thing I would not do is bend the ZX4 any stronger. They’re strong enough. 

Edited by dmeeksDC
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Lftygolfnut said:

Does anyone know for sure if the new ZX5 AW is being offered in LH? On their site it seems available to order but I saw on another site it say RH only. Makes me curious because I can’t find an announcement about it. 

Not 100% sure but pretty sure it’s not available in lefty. Thinking about what to do for a gap wedge if I pull the trigger on these as I prefer a set gw. 

3 minutes ago, Dr.Frankenputz said:

Not 100% sure but pretty sure it’s not available in lefty. Thinking about what to do for a gap wedge if I pull the trigger on these as I prefer a set gw. 

I’m wondering if it’s an error on Srixon’s website, but you can add the LH AW to the cart if you go to custom options. I’ll call them on Monday but wanted to see if anyone heard anything definitive. 

6 hours ago, mortimer said:

I’ve kept the standard lofts except adjusted the PW to 45 degrees. I may need to deloft the 4 iron (ZX4) a little but not sure yet. For me, I didn’t have any issues but if you are doing a ZX4 and ZX5 combo I’m quite sure. The reason for my PW change was because my 3 wedges go 50, 54, 58. 

• Like 1

While my ZX5s are on the FedEx truck back to CA to be reshafted, I decided to hit my ZX4 mk II 6&7 at the range today. 

Im impressed. Combined with a C-Taper 120S and a Lamkin Sonar+ grip, they feel wonderful. They feel similar to Apex 21, but just a tiny better than them. Apex 21 is just a tinge louder. 

ZX4s definitely have noticeable offset, but it’s not the most offensive iron I’ve seen. The 6 at 25.5* will effectively behave as my 5iron. 

They also performed very well on thin hits. Felt pretty similar to well struck shots. Very eager to get them on the course. 

• Like 1

Dr - still working on it

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

i230 6-P / Modus 115S

LAB DF3

Just ordered a combo set of zx4 (4-5), zx5 (6-8) and zx7 (9-pw). 

i kept the zx4s at standard loft

i bent the zx5s 1* strong

i bent the zx 7s 2 * strong (pw bent to 44*

then i have SM9s that i love in 48, 53 and 58. 

i had 4-PW in 1st gen zx5s and loved them. Figured id try out a combo set and see what all this talk about the new zx4s is about!!

• Like 1

I’ve been playing the original ZX7 for almost two years now and they’ve been the best all around iron I’ve hit in a long long time. They’re naturally a lower spinning iron so I’ve been playing the Bridgestone BXS to keep that control up, however that ball isn’t great off the tee and definitely spines too much for me. 

With that in mind I’m trying out the ProV1 over the winter to get lower spin off the driver. However I’m worried that’s dropping my iron spin a little too low with the ZX7. Maybe moving up to the Mk II would give me back that extra spin and control? 

12 hours ago, ry1808 said:

I’ve been playing the original ZX7 for almost two years now and they’ve been the best all around iron I’ve hit in a long long time. They’re naturally a lower spinning iron so I’ve been playing the Bridgestone BXS to keep that control up, however that ball isn’t great off the tee and definitely spines too much for me. 

With that in mind I’m trying out the ProV1 over the winter to get lower spin off the driver. However I’m worried that’s dropping my iron spin a little too low with the ZX7. Maybe moving up to the Mk II would give me back that extra spin and control? 

Guessing you have already tried this but is there a way to maximize your numbers with the driver by playing a low spin head (pry already do) or messing with the weight?

28 minutes ago, Jjones519a said:

any difference in the ZX7 from last year.  I loved the last model would buy these sight unseen (played last years off the rack)

If not much difference I would def consider

I would say perhaps slightly softer and more forgiving. Ball speeds on miss hits >10mm on the toe don’t cause me to lose as much ball speed as OG version. Spin basically the same.  

47 minutes ago, gsrjc said:

I would say perhaps slightly softer and more forgiving. Ball speeds on miss hits >10mm on the toe don’t cause me to lose as much ball speed as OG version. Spin basically the same.  

That's an interesting finding.

The only reason I say that is because visually it seems like they took weight from the toe and moved it closer to center on the MKII. That makes me think the cg/sweet spot would also move closer to the hosel, which would then make it less tolerant of toe-side strikes. Anyway, I'm not arguing with your findings, I'm just surprised to hear that.

Rogue ST LS 10.5 | TSi2 15 | G425 4H 20.5 | ZX4 4 | ZX5 5-P | CBX ZC 48 & 52.5 | Glide 2.0 Stealth 58 | Itsy Bitsy Spider | TP5x