2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Srixon ZX MKII Irons

Ryan19jwu

25 minutes ago, Natural1 said:

That's an interesting finding.

The only reason I say that is because visually it seems like they took weight from the toe and moved it closer to center on the MKII. That makes me think the cg/sweet spot would also move closer to the hosel, which would then make it less tolerant of toe-side strikes. Anyway, I'm not arguing with your findings, I'm just surprised to hear that.

I will say heel shots perhaps between 3-5mm from the center were fast. Going off memory my 6 iron of 85mph with center shots gave a ball speed of 120 mph. Smash was 1.42 which for a 6 iron and I wasn’t that good with the OG version. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 6:19 PM, gsrjc said:

I will say heel shots perhaps between 3-5mm from the center were fast. Going off memory my 6 iron of 85mph with center shots gave a ball speed of 120 mph. Smash was 1.42 which for a 6 iron and I wasn’t that good with the OG version. 

I wonder if, with the increased spin, they've had to make the faces a little hotter so they don't drop too much distance?

I don't think that they just make a forged face in a player's iron hotter.  What's that even mean?

Edited by pjc

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Ping I230 4 - PW| TT DG 105 S300

Cleveland RTX4 50* & 56*| KBS HI-REV 2.0 115
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

On 1/28/2023 at 11:10 PM, ry1808 said:

I’ve been playing the original ZX7 for almost two years now and they’ve been the best all around iron I’ve hit in a long long time. They’re naturally a lower spinning iron so I’ve been playing the Bridgestone BXS to keep that control up, however that ball isn’t great off the tee and definitely spines too much for me. 

With that in mind I’m trying out the ProV1 over the winter to get lower spin off the driver. However I’m worried that’s dropping my iron spin a little too low with the ZX7. Maybe moving up to the Mk II would give me back that extra spin and control? 

what makes a forged head naturally a lower spinning iron? Thanks in advance

4 minutes ago, Liveonce said:

what makes a forged head naturally a lower spinning iron? Thanks in advance

Where does he mention that a forged head has anything to do with spin? He just says that the original ZX7 is a low spinning iron which is true for many. I for one, had them bent a degree weak an did the same with my MKII's that should be here in a few days. 

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

14 minutes ago, JStang said:

Where does he mention that a forged head has anything to do with spin? He just says that the original ZX7 is a low spinning iron which is true for many. I for one, had them bent a degree weak an did the same with my MKII's that should be here in a few days. 

I meant no harm in my question, I’m just trying to learn. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Liveonce said:

I meant no harm in my question, I’m just trying to learn. 

You must have misunderstood him. Loft and CG have the biggest impact on spin not what the club is made of or whether or not it is forged or cast. 

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

1 hour ago, JStang said:

You must have misunderstood him. Loft and CG have the biggest impact on spin not what the club is made of or whether or not it is forged or cast. 

Also worth mentioning that the insertion depth on Srixons is further than other irons which *kind of* is like tipping them. 

My new set will be here Monday. Playing the Original ZX7's so really looking forward to see how the II's are going to compare.  I'm going to do a driver fitting next week so going to hit the original and the II's in the bay to try and get some comparison #'s.  Only difference is the new ones will have the 120 modus instead of the 105's which I'm currently playing.

Anyone have an opinion on what difference the shafts might make?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ripken08 said:

Can anyone who has hit the ZX4 and ZX5 compare feel to the Apex 21's?  Love Mizuno, but they don't offer the Recoil Smacwrap shafts.  Srixon stocks them.

Thanks

This is from comparing 5 and 6 irons. 

Apex 21 and ZX4 mk II feel VERY similar to me. Pretty soft, but also a little springy with power. In my opinion, ZX4 gets the edge by a little bit. The only difference I could tell is in the sound. Apex 21 sounded ever so slightly louder, and the sound lasted ever so slightly longer. 

I think the difference is due to the urethane microspheres. In my opinion, many of Callaway GI/player distance irons have a unique sound that I attribute to the microspheres. It’s like that little transition you hear at the beginning and end of a two way radio transmission. “Kuch.” With the short u sound of sorts. 

I have ZX5 on the way after a reshafting from Srixon. Some have said the 5 is clickier than the 4, but I haven’t had the chance to test that myself. 

I was impressed with the first iteration of ZX5, and I can’t imagine mk II is much louder/clickier than than the OG. 

Overall I REALLY liked the ZX4 and I’m very eager to finish my combo set with the 5s. 

• Like 1

Dr - still working on it

G430 Max 15 / PING Tour Black 2.0 75S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

i230 6-P / Modus 115S

s159 50, 54, 58 / Modus 125 Wedge

LAB DF3

1 hour ago, Arlin964 said:

This is from comparing 5 and 6 irons. 

Apex 21 and ZX4 mk II feel VERY similar to me. Pretty soft, but also a little springy with power. In my opinion, ZX4 gets the edge by a little bit. The only difference I could tell is in the sound. Apex 21 sounded ever so slightly louder, and the sound lasted ever so slightly longer. 

I think the difference is due to the urethane microspheres. In my opinion, many of Callaway GI/player distance irons have a unique sound that I attribute to the microspheres. It’s like that little transition you hear at the beginning and end of a two way radio transmission. “Kuch.” With the short u sound of sorts. 

I have ZX5 on the way after a reshafting from Srixon. Some have said the 5 is clickier than the 4, but I haven’t had the chance to test that myself. 

I was impressed with the first iteration of ZX5, and I can’t imagine mk II is much louder/clickier than than the OG. 

Overall I REALLY liked the ZX4 and I’m very eager to finish my combo set with the 5s. 

I am against clicky but in favor of low scores. So I played over the weekend and had ZX5 MKii 6 and 8 iron demos in the bag. Used a Snell Black ball, which is not a particularly soft ball. They felt and sounded great. They don’t feel springy, much more solid like the ZX7. Blade length is nice. They’re impressive irons, not at all hard to hit and with the rain we’ve had, they do really well off soggy lies, just as  @paztormikereports. Have to deal with wet golf courses pretty often in the mid-Atlantic. 

We all like what we like — I don’t like the sound of the latest Apex Pro, but some do — but any questions I had about the feel are gone. It’s a little different feel than the ZX7, but it’s satisfying. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

I am against clicky but in favor of low scores. So I played over the weekend and had ZX5 MKii 6 and 8 iron demos in the bag. Used a Snell Black ball, which is not a particularly soft ball. They felt and sounded great. They don’t feel springy, much more solid like the ZX7. Blade length is nice. They’re impressive irons, not at all hard to hit and with the rain we’ve had, they do really well off soggy lies, just as  @paztormikereports. Have to deal with wet golf courses pretty often in the mid-Atlantic. 

We all like what we like — I don’t like the sound of the latest Apex Pro, but some do — but any questions I had about the feel are gone. It’s a little different feel than the ZX7, but it’s satisfying. 

Glad to hear that. I was very pleased with the OG ZX5 and ZX7 I played for a bit last year. I had never felt anything like a flushed ZX7 before. It was something special. ZX5 I thought felt ALMOST as good. 

If the ZX5 mk II feel anywhere near the OG or either of the latest 7’s, I’m in for a treat!

• Like 1

Dr - still working on it

G430 Max 15 / PING Tour Black 2.0 75S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

i230 6-P / Modus 115S

s159 50, 54, 58 / Modus 125 Wedge

LAB DF3

On 1/27/2023 at 9:42 PM, Lftygolfnut said:

Does anyone know for sure if the new ZX5 AW is being offered in LH? On their site it seems available to order but I saw on another site it say RH only. Makes me curious because I can’t find an announcement about it. 

It’s true that there is no gap wedge for lefties in ZX5 or 7 (haven’t checked out the 4’s but I’m assuming it’s the same case).  It’s incredibly annoying and I hate when companies do this.

I ordered a second zx7 PW and having that bent to 50.  I’ll change the paint fill on this so I know it’s a gap wedge.  I did this before with i59 and it worked out very well.

Edited by blazman11
  • Like 1

As an 8-9 HC I'm no great ball striker but can get around the course pretty well.  I lean towards being a picker and have had great success with Mizuno irons (MP32, MP20 MMC in particular).  I do not do well with most Pings and PXGs.  I am currently in Apex 21s which I hit decently well and assume they have moderate bounce between Mizunos and Pings/PXGs.  I'm all in for the distance and forgiveness of the ZX5s but a little concerned about the sole.  I have no where to demo off grass unfortunately.

I want to try the MKiis out but am really torn between the 5s and 7s.  I'm sure I could "handle" the 7s given my past sets as the sole at least looks more appealing to me as I prefer thinner ones.  That being said, I'd definitely appreciate the extra forgiveness of the 5s.

Do you all thing it would be an easy transition from Apex 21s to ZX5s in terms of the sole?

Just when I was getting close to swapping the 745's to ZX7's, they come out with the MKII. From what little I've had a chance to read, the MKII's have a little more spin. I am really pretty happy with my spin on the 745's, but now have some concern that the MKII might be a little "spinny" for me? Anyone else playing 745's or ZX7's that don't have an issue with low spin try the MKII's?

1 hour ago, gripandrip said:

Just when I was getting close to swapping the 745's to ZX7's, they come out with the MKII. From what little I've had a chance to read, the MKII's have a little more spin. I am really pretty happy with my spin on the 745's, but now have some concern that the MKII might be a little "spinny" for me? Anyone else playing 745's or ZX7's that don't have an issue with low spin try the MKII's?

I don't necessarily have experience with both of these irons. But I did game the 785, zx7 and now the zx7 mkii. I think the difference to me is a bit more consistency with the mkii. I think that's where the "spinny" idea comes from. I felt the majority of my shots stayed within a small radius of one another whereas 785 and zx7 mki, sometimes id get a bit juice out of a shot here or there. I don't feel the mkii spins too much, id say more consistent. Reminds of of an i230 but a bit better feeling, IMO. I love both irons but zx7 felt a bit better to me so sold the pings... for now. I'm sure I'll pick up a set again lol 

1 hour ago, gripandrip said:

Longtime 745 user and just received ZX7 mkii. Limited time with the mkii but so far spin seems comparable. Was within 100 rpm’s. 

Tried replacing 745s with 223’s last year and much happier with the looks and feel of the mkii’s. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ripken08 said:

As an 8-9 HC I'm no great ball striker but can get around the course pretty well.  I lean towards being a picker and have had great success with Mizuno irons (MP32, MP20 MMC in particular).  I do not do well with most Pings and PXGs.  I am currently in Apex 21s which I hit decently well and assume they have moderate bounce between Mizunos and Pings/PXGs.  I'm all in for the distance and forgiveness of the ZX5s but a little concerned about the sole.  I have no where to demo off grass unfortunately.

I want to try the MKiis out but am really torn between the 5s and 7s.  I'm sure I could "handle" the 7s given my past sets as the sole at least looks more appealing to me as I prefer thinner ones.  That being said, I'd definitely appreciate the extra forgiveness of the 5s.

Do you all thing it would be an easy transition from Apex 21s to ZX5s in terms of the sole?

I can’t speak to the transition from Apex 21s but I’m coming from MP32 and MP4s and haven’t had any issue with the sole. The sole on the zx5 is wide and it was tough to get used to but I’m really enjoying the transition. 

I wanted to love the i230 but the Ping bounce and me just didn’t get along. No issues with Srixion. 

• Like 1

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

Just now, Jmccas said:

I can’t speak to the transition from Apex 21s but I’m coming from MP32 and MP4s and haven’t had any issue with the sole. The sole on the zx5 is wide and it was tough to get used to but I’m really enjoying the transition. 

I wanted to love the i230 but the Ping bounce and me just didn’t get along. No issues with Srixion. 

Good to hear.  Are you more of a picker or digger?

17 minutes ago, Ripken08 said:

Good to hear.  Are you more of a picker or digger?

I am a picker but working to take better divots. The sole grind really gives me the confidence to go after it.  I think blades have almost fed my subconsciousness to pick and not dig. 

Age old question: to dig or not to dig…..

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

8 minutes ago, Jmccas said:

I am a picker but working to take better divots. The sole grind really gives me the confidence to go after it.  I think blades have almost fed my subconsciousness to pick and not dig. 

Age old question: to dig or not to dig…..

Fairways in Indiana at the average courses are pretty tight which is my main concern.  Hopefully I can adjust.

1 hour ago, kain23 said:

Longtime 745 user and just received ZX7 mkii. Limited time with the mkii but so far spin seems comparable. Was within 100 rpm’s. 

Tried replacing 745s with 223’s last year and much happier with the looks and feel of the mkii’s. 

Thanks. I'm not in a location right now where I have the opportunity to hit them, so thanks for the input. I will definitely give them a try.