2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Srixon ZX MKII Irons

Ryan19jwu

On 1/21/2023 at 4:19 AM, scottishexpat said:

The MkII series have just become available for pre-order at my local golf store in Germany.  They’re at the same price point as the latest offerings from TM, Callaway and Ping, which I certainly wasn’t expecting. The MkI were significantly cheaper than those brands.

They are approximately 35% cheaper than main offerings from Taylor Made, Titleist, Mizuno here in Australia 

• Like 1

Interested to hit the slimmed down ZX4 MKII. In the last generation I preferred the feel of it over the ZX5. Wondering about a combo of ZX4 and ZX7, comparing to a combo of Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pros and 923 Forged. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

19 hours ago, miboy said:

Ordered the 4/mk2 4/7  

5/mk2 8/A all -1 deg 

that’s what worked in the fitting.

I have been trying to figure out how/at which club to blend ZX4 and ZX5. I haven't gotten fit yet and certainly would ahead of ordering. But I am having a hard time making it work with the lofts they start with. Curious what you saw in your fitting. Still a pretty big jump from 7-8 (even at ZX5 -1 degree). 

I'm going 3-pw in ZX5

3-6 standard lofts

7-pw 1 degree weak

See how they compare to my ZX7's

Edited by 1s1k
  • Like 2

TSR3 9* | Ventus Blue TR 6X

TSR2+ 13* | Ventus Red 7X 

T200 2-Iron | Ventus Blue HY 10X

T150's 3-PW | DG TI X100

SM10 Raw 

50.12F | DG TI X100

54.12D | DG TI S400

60.08M | DG TI S400

TM MySpider X Blk on Blk 34"

Titleist Pro V1

5 hours ago, Davethegolfer said:

They are approximately 35% cheaper than main offerings from Taylor Made, Titleist, Mizuno here in Australia 

That's about what the Mk1 were here in Germany (and still are where available).  Maybe it's a plan to have a higher recommended price at launch but then sell them at a discount...

I had a successful fitting Friday 1/20/23. Ordered 4-PW ZX7, C-taper lite 110 Stiff, weak 1*, standard length and lie. I am around a 6 handicap, better than average ball striker. Coming from my fitted 2009 Taylormade TPs, X100s (I had a real strong iron campaign in 2022).

I couldn't tell the difference from the previous model ZX7s to the new. Wound up less expensive ordering direct from Srixon as the shaft is now a stock option.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410 LST 3wd - Alta Stiff

Srixon ZX5 MKii, 3i - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Srixon ZX7 MKii, 4-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50, 55, 60 - DG S400
Odyssey Prototype #9

4 hours ago, callofthewild said:

I have been trying to figure out how/at which club to blend ZX4 and ZX5. I haven't gotten fit yet and certainly would ahead of ordering. But I am having a hard time making it work with the lofts they start with. Curious what you saw in your fitting. Still a pretty big jump from 7-8 (even at ZX5 -1 degree). 

The only one that does line up by taking the 1 deg off is the 8i.

8 to A with the zx5 m2 had a little more spin than zx4 m2.

These things are sweet.

For those interested, took a look at the MK Ii heads today. They are a stunning lineup. The soles below, top to bottom, of the ZX7, ZX5 and ZX4.

To my eye, the soles of the ZX4 and ZX5 are closer in size than the ZX5 is to the ZX7, which is the thinnest by far. But with the way the v-sole includes a lot of trailing edge relief, not so much steel is hitting the ground. 

They all look great. The ZX4 looks so much smaller and better than the last generation that it’s truly an entirely new club. 

The ZX7 and new p770 are almost exactly the same size. 

5F29B168-A0B6-48AF-A7C1-C4BC8FCBA0D1.jpeg.23fa3127afff73e4dbf5755838e31540.jpeg

ZX7 7 iron left, new TaylorMade p770 right. 

F52A71F9-B3D2-4CE4-8C4A-8D179C527DCE.jpeg.4ca5b3681712f98fe97c7ee4f7bba83a.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, miboy said:

The only one that does line up by taking the 1 deg off is the 8i.

8 to A with the zx5 m2 had a little more spin than zx4 m2.

These things are sweet.

I did something pretty unorthodox. 

I went ZX4 6 and 7 irons. 

Then I added ZX5 7iron thru PW all bent two weak. So I have two 7 irons. They just shipped today and I should have them by Friday. 

Over the last year I decided I need to pick every club in my bag to serve a specific purpose and fit them to that instead of just assuming a one size fits all. 

I did it with my shafts and lie angles, so it’s only fair that the club for each slot is evaluated on its own needs and merit. 

• Like 2

Dr - still working on it

G430 Max 15 / PING Tour Black 2.0 75S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

i230 6-P / Modus 115S

s159 50, 54, 58 / Modus 125 Wedge

LAB DF3

Spent some time hitting the MkI in 120TX Softstep against the MkII in 120X. They're basically the same in feel. The MkIIs look better in the bag for me. I'll be putting the MkI on BST.

1243190596_2023-01-2318_53_11-Window.png.b591f266fe893a22b11a0c154a0e6c8b.png

• Like 3

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

2 hours ago, 20footputt said:

how much thinner are the mk2 zx5?  I was surprised how thick the mk1's are.

I’m with you, but it is still pretty thick. 

15 hours ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

I was going to upgrade after 2 seasons with ZX7, after seeing this and a few other reviews, not much there it seems?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1237994-my-carls-golfland-contest-fitting-experience-grab-a-drink/"]My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story[/url]

Cobra F9, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 3w, Atmos Black TS 7s

Titleist 510 3i Atmos Black TS 9x
Srixon U85 4, z785 5-PW Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
EVNRoll ER5

Ordered two sets last week, both came in today. Compared ZX5 7i and ZX7 7i and I can't tell much of a difference. Hit my 7i before I had to come back to work...only hit a few but damn the ZX5 felt good. Didn't hit zx7 as they aren't mine nor are they the right setup for me, but I can't imagine they could feel any better!

• Like 1

TSR2 8* w/ AD VF 7x

TSR3 15* w/ 1K White 80x

TSR2 3h w/ Ventus Blue 8x

G425 4&5H w/ Ventus Blue 9x

T150 6-P w/ KBS Tour V X
RTX6 Tour Rack 50/54/58

Mezz Max CB w/ TPT

2 hours ago, paztormike said:

Let me just say this to anyone who is looking at these clubs right now...

DO NOT SLEEP ON THE ZX5 mkii's!

I played the original ZX7's and I've had my ZX5 mkii's for about 6 weeks now. I know all the reviewers are going to focus on the ZX7 mkii's because the tour players are playing them, and they are one-piece forged with the thinner sole etc. 

In my opinion, the ZX5 mkii's feel better than the original ZX7's. I haven't hit the ZX7mkii's yet, so I can't make that comparison. But the ZX5 mkii's feel so sweet. 

I struggled with over-turning my ZX7's to the left more than I had hoped. I am hitting the ZX5mkii's so much more accurately. Additionally, I am getting more spin with the ZX5mkii's than the ZX7's by 500-700rpms on my 7 iron. I could expect low 5,000's on my 7iron in my ZX7's, but am in the high 5,000's and low 6's with the new ZX5's.

From what I have seen in online reviews, many players are going to order ZX7 just because that's been crowned the "player's club." But don't sleep on the ZX5 mkii, it looks great, feels amazing, and it performs for me and I am glad that I chose them. 

Just FYI, I am a GM at a golf course and am on Srixon/Cleveland playing staff. I'm not under any obligation to post anything positive or negative about the clubs. I just really want to see people at least give the ZX5's a try. I think they will benefit a lot of players who will go straight to ZX7's without a second thought. 

Since you have played both models, do you notice the difference in sole width at all? I think the wide soles of the ZX5 is one feature that prompts a lot of players ro automatically go for the 7 series. Not saying that should be a factor, just looking for feedback from those who have played both heads.

They look similar from address, but not as similar from the bottom. The blade lengths are excellent and the overall look is very nice. I do plan to test them regardless, but nice to hear others’ experiences with turf interaction. Thanks

2 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Since you have played both models, do you notice the difference in sole width at all? I think the wide soles of the ZX5 is one feature that prompts a lot of players ro automatically go for the 7 series. Not saying that should be a factor, just looking for feedback from those who have played both heads.

They look similar from address, but not as similar from the bottom. The blade lengths are excellent and the overall look is very nice. I do plan to test them regardless, but nice to hear others’ experiences with turf interaction. Thanks

The soles on the ZX5 are like 1.5 mm wider as the biggest difference between club to club, most of the sole widths are closer to 1 mm wider.  The difference is so miniscule you can only tell when holding both clubs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Both are Zx5 5 irons

MkI top line: 6.71mm

MkII top line: 6.48mm

At the top of the sole number

MkI sole width: 23.78mm
MkII sole width: 23.16mm

Edited by Fairways_and_Greens
  • Thanks 1

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

On 1/24/2023 at 1:15 AM, dmeeksDC said:

Interested to hit the slimmed down ZX4 MKII. In the last generation I preferred the feel of it over the ZX5. Wondering about a combo of ZX4 and ZX7, comparing to a combo of Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pros and 923 Forged. 

I demoed it on course. Everything is low flight, low spin. They don't hold greens. The shaft was very similar to what I play, so no probs there.

18 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

I am in the wet pacific northwest where a wider sole appeals to me in wet conditions for sure. I feel that the extra beef on the back end of the sole keeps the club gliding rather than digging. It just feels like a smooth interaction with the turf. 

Also, I have gotten away from chipping with my 7-pw around the greens over the years, normally favoring one of my wedges. With the ZX5's, I am already starting to notice how easy and forgiving they are to chip with. The wider sole makes hitting finesse shots feel a lot easier to me as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paztormike said:

I am in the wet pacific northwest where a wider sole appeals to me in wet conditions for sure. I feel that the extra beef on the back end of the sole keeps the club gliding rather than digging. It just feels like a smooth interaction with the turf. 

Also, I have gotten away from chipping with my 7-pw around the greens over the years, normally favoring one of my wedges. With the ZX5's, I am already starting to notice how easy and forgiving they are to chip with. The wider sole makes hitting finesse shots feel a lot easier to me as well.

Spot on with regards to chipping.

I just went and hit a few range balls with the 7 and 9 irons at lunch and was walking back to my truck. There were three balls by the chipping area and I thought I’d just punch them onto the practice green with the 9 iron which is not a shot I would’ve attempted with blades due to digging soles. Three best spinny chips I’ve hit in a long time and I think the sole really helps with that shot.

I’m gonna have to try that on the course. 

• Like 1

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

3 hours ago, paztormike said:

Thanks for this. I have little interest in launch monitor reports, I like hearing these real experiences of how they perform in wet conditions. Here in the mid-Atlantic, the rounds I am slopping around in semi-wet conditions are by far the most common. I don’t catch a lot of perfect launch monitor lies in the real world. For me it is always a challenge to face wet conditions as I open a round: I hit that first tee shot and am in good shape, but that opening iron shot of the day is a 6 iron from soggy ground! Some people don’t like hardpan but for me that shot is easy as long as you have forward shaft lean. I’d rather hit irons off firm ground than out of saturated turf. In the spring, fall and winter it can be really wet around here. 

And for short game I long have subscribed to the philosophy of get the ball on the green and rolling as soon as practical. I like playing that way. My club of choice is the 8 iron. The Srixon 7xx series clubs have been great for that shot. Good to hear others are liking those shots with the ZX5. 

I had a chance to look at the new ZX5 today and they are really a nice looking club with a perfect blade length. I also looked at Mizuno JPX 923 Forged and those look nice but the edge goes to Srixon in overall shape, size and look from address. The sole and topline measurements @Fairways_and_Greens posted just shows how you can’t always tell from photos and data matters more than perception — the sole is not that much wider than the soles on the z745 I have here.

I have played the 745, 965 and 785, but I’ve yet to try a full set of the 5 series, only have had a long iron in the 545. If you had me list my 5 greatest irons I have played, the 745 is 1 or 2 on that list. The 7 series always performs for me, but on mishits there is the expected drop — it’s forgiving for a CB but it still has the demands of a pure forged iron. If I can get 7 series performance out of the 5 with less drop off on the mishits, I would take that to the golf course. The two heads looking so much alike from address is a plus. 

I want to hit the ZX5 MK2 (and ZX7) outside and I can do that as soon as we catch better weather. Of course, I could do it now because if they’re good when it is 40 degrees and rainy, they’re good!

• Like 1

I preordered with DD and they are out for delivery today!  I did a combo set of ZX4 6-7 and ZX5 7-P bent weak.  I suppose this is kind of like the Mark Crossfield weirdo combo set he does with two PW's.  The ZX4's will effectively be my 5 and 6 irons. 

ZX4 7 iron will be 28.5* and ZX5 7 iron will be 33*.  4.5 degrees of separation there should be enough considering they're both 37" long.  And that makes my ZX5 short irons a little spinnier and a little shorter in distance, which should work well for me.  The extra height won't bother me.  I like the idea of my shorter irons going shorter distances because that is easier for me to manage a 135yd PW instead of a 140-145yd PW.  Since I'm not really a "feel" player in my 100-160yd approach distances, I need to be very comfortable with my clubs in those distances.  I'd rather get a few of them bunched up under 160 than say 180-210.  I'm mentally ok with larger gaps on the longer end of the bag.

Not only did I do a weird combo set of iron heads, I also put KBS C-Taper 120S HSx1 in the ZX4's and C-Taper 130X in the ZX5's.  I like the utility of Ascending Mass as I go down toward short irons, but I don't really like stepped shafts as much as stepless (C-Taper, PX, and PXLS are some of my favorite).  Adam at DD said in all his years, this is the oddest combo set he's ever done.  I am happy to wear that title!

I'll do my best to get some photos comparing the 4's and 5's.  Now that I believe I have found the best shafts for my swing, I am super excited to play these against the i230's to figure out which ones stay in my bag for the year.  I have tested a LOT of clubs over the last 12 months and I finally feel like I'm honing in on the combos that work best for me.  If this exact setup doesn't work like I want, no problem, I'll just bend what I need to and order single irons to fit my needs.

Dr - still working on it

G430 Max 15 / PING Tour Black 2.0 75S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

i230 6-P / Modus 115S

s159 50, 54, 58 / Modus 125 Wedge

LAB DF3

32 minutes ago, Arlin964 said:

I preordered with DD and they are out for delivery today!  I did a combo set of ZX4 6-7 and ZX5 7-P bent weak.  I suppose this is kind of like the Mark Crossfield weirdo combo set he does with two PW's.  The ZX4's will effectively be my 5 and 6 irons. 

ZX4 7 iron will be 28.5* and ZX5 7 iron will be 33*.  4.5 degrees of separation there should be enough considering they're both 37" long.  And that makes my ZX5 short irons a little spinnier and a little shorter in distance, which should work well for me.  The extra height won't bother me.  I like the idea of my shorter irons going shorter distances because that is easier for me to manage a 135yd PW instead of a 140-145yd PW.  Since I'm not really a "feel" player in my 100-160yd approach distances, I need to be very comfortable with my clubs in those distances.  I'd rather get a few of them bunched up under 160 than say 180-210.  I'm mentally ok with larger gaps on the longer end of the bag.

Not only did I do a weird combo set of iron heads, I also put KBS C-Taper 120S HSx1 in the ZX4's and C-Taper 130X in the ZX5's.  I like the utility of Ascending Mass as I go down toward short irons, but I don't really like stepped shafts as much as stepless (C-Taper, PX, and PXLS are some of my favorite).  Adam at DD said in all his years, this is the oddest combo set he's ever done.  I am happy to wear that title!

I'll do my best to get some photos comparing the 4's and 5's.  Now that I believe I have found the best shafts for my swing, I am super excited to play these against the i230's to figure out which ones stay in my bag for the year.  I have tested a LOT of clubs over the last 12 months and I finally feel like I'm honing in on the combos that work best for me.  If this exact setup doesn't work like I want, no problem, I'll just bend what I need to and order single irons to fit my needs.

When did you order?  Just trying to gauge the time to manufacture and ship?