2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

THE GREAT BIG BERTHA IRONS 2023

20 minutes ago, Tiptx1122 said:

This should not affect the sales of their existing product at all, one way or another as they know the less expensive products will sell. Callaway is just jacking it up to see if they can get some of the more wealthy retire's to spend their moldy cash and just maybe see if they can join the others who have been cashing in on price gouging before the recession hits.  Get it while the getting is good as some will buy them and they know it

You might look up price gouging and what it actually is before you throw it out there… 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red4282 said:

You might look up price gouging and what it actually is before you throw it out there… 

Yeah I know it could be worse but seriously Get it while they can. I'll call it gouging you can justify the price hikes. Price gouging refers to when retailer and others take advantage by charging exorbitant prices. Other words for price gouching would be unfair, excessive, unreasonable, profiteering pricing so let's see what the world is willing to pay. I also know it's not a Federal crime as it's mainly an issue after a disaster, state of emergency or pandemic so maybe being greedy as Corporate price gouging is, at most one of the many causes of runaway inflation. Maybe these irons will flood the board and have people tell us how much better a golfer they are because they cost as much as they do.  

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

24 minutes ago, Tiptx1122 said:

Yeah I know it could be worse but seriously Get it while they can. I'll call it gouging you can justify the price hikes. Price gouging refers to when retailer and others take advantage by charging exorbitant prices. Other words for price gouching would be unfair, excessive, unreasonable, profiteering pricing so let's see what the world is willing to pay. I also know it's not a Federal crime as it's mainly an issue after a disaster, state of emergency or pandemic so maybe being greedy as Corporate price gouging is, at most one of the many causes of runaway inflation. Maybe these irons will flood the board and have people tell us how much better a golfer they are because they cost as much as they do.  

If its not for you, dont buy it. Simple. I hear they make costco clubs for dirt cheap too. Is this a no no too?

Edited by Red4282
  • Like 2

I have a real nice set of clubs, Im not sure what made you think I was planing on buying them. I was hoping you would so you could tell us how great they are and has improved your game. 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

42 minutes ago, Tiptx1122 said:

I have a real nice set of clubs, Im not sure what made you think I was planing on buying them. I was hoping you would so you could tell us how great they are and has improved your game. 

Nope, not for me. Just dont understand why you are so bothered by others business models and how other people choose to spend their money… 

let it go GIF

• Like 3

It's doesn't bother me how people want to spend their money but since you say they are not for you that makes 2 of us as I know for me that would be a waste of money spent so instead throwing that kind of cash to Callaway I would buy some Epons, Miura's, Ryoma, JBeam, PRGR equipment which is some the brands I have played before. So I will let it go if you do. Shut It Down GIF by Matt Cutshall

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Like 1

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 8*, Vanquish 4TX // Tour 9*, Diamana WB 53X // 0311 9*, Ventus Blue+ 5X

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, KBS Tour Proto HY 95/105 S+

PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

3 hours ago, BirdieBob said:

They were loving Mikey's personal best Ball Speed and CHS! 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

On 11/23/2022 at 3:14 PM, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

They were loving Mikey's personal best Ball Speed and CHS! 

This vid proved that this isn't just for seniors.  Properly fit, this this could be a weapon for someone.

• Like 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Regardless of age, if a player needs help with raising initial launch and doesn't mind the lower spin this line tends to produce, then there's something very compelling available here. Yes, it costs; building clubs with this much titanium and tungsten isn't going to be cheap.

Finally got the opportunity to mess with the GBB 7 iron yesterday; seeing carry numbers and launch conditions I'd expect from my TCB 5 iron out of the fitting 7 iron were solid comedy.

Edited by bcflyguy1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

19 minutes ago, bcflyguy1 said:

Regardless of age, if a player needs help with raising initial launch and doesn't mind the lower spin this line tends to produce, then there's something very compelling available here. Yes, it costs; building clubs with this much titanium and tungsten isn't going to be cheap.

Finally got the opportunity to mess with the GBB 7 iron yesterday; seeing carry numbers and launch conditions I'd expect from my TCB 5 iron out of the fitting 7 iron were solid comedy.

How did they feel?

Stealth OG 10.5 Ventus Red 6s

Epic flash 18deg Fujikura pro 6.0s

Maverick 21deg 7wd Fujikura pro 7.0S

5i-Aw Srixon ZX5  KBS TGI 100

52 Glide 4.0 SS KBS TGI 100

56 Glide 4.0 WS KBS TGI 100

60 Glide 4.0 TS KBS TGI 100

Lab DF3 70 deg 35.5" Accra Black

46 minutes ago, bcflyguy1 said:

I know a lot of guys who would find that appealing.  Even with my Rogues I'm hitting 195 yard 5 irons.  It's ridiculous, but you get used to it...  🙂

• Like 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

32 minutes ago, ephmen said:

How did they feel?

You would expect an iron with this much heat in it to sound and consequently feel quite loud, but this one does not. Won't mistake the sound and feel for something like TCB, but it's not at all offensive and looks decent enough at address too. At this entry price you would hope that every aspect of the club would be appealingly engineered, and that is the case here. No details missed, as far as I can tell.

Does it offer playability to the powerful, highly skilled player? No, but that's not the target audience either. This is designed for the player that needs help hitting it higher and further and is willing to compromise on things like spin to get that done.

Edited by bcflyguy1
  • Like 1

WITB Link

9 minutes ago, tbowles411 said:

I know a lot of guys who would find that appealing.  Even with my Rogues I'm hitting 195 yard 5 irons.  It's ridiculous, but you get used to it...  🙂

Couldn't do it; the "flier anxiety" they'd give me would put me in a padded room.

We're talking OG Chrome Soft levels of flier anxiety.

Edited by bcflyguy1
  • Haha 2

WITB Link

I suppose I am the target for this type of club being a predominately Callaway guy that is soon to be 64, losing speed, etc. I have spent as much on JDM irons (or if you were to consider the money spent in 3-4 years of hoing, a lot more).

But I am not yet into the super light weight shafts and sort of feel odd spending over $500 a club with upgraded shafts to shoot the same scores, since most of us nuts know the scores don't change much even if the clubs do.

I still can't hit even a 250 yard drive consistently even though I been buying the latest release driver that should be giving me 20 more yards for years...go figure.

But if I happen into a place that has the demo clubs I will hit them to see if they have the magic.

• Like 1

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9* GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

I don't mind the jacked lofts.  Or the way my XXIO 12 irons look at address.  Especially when I can hit a small green from 100 yards in.

I have a slow swing speed and have my 12* Stealth Driver set one notch higher loft.

Then a 16.5* 3HL

22* 5 iron

28* 7 iron

37* 9 iron  

48* AW

56* SW

58/6 lob

60/12 lob 

Seems pretty logical to me!

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DANCING BANANAS said:

ROBO.gif.c20d93e6a9b458bec24efb1fe5cf90f5.gifAbout to start a thread on these irons ... but they are AWESOME !!!! ... Worth EVERY penny

20221201_131329.jpg.9453308674350e81551cebf5e6ee5dd3.jpg

So does that mean PING, Titleist, Mizuno etc need to jack their price up because those GBB irons are no better and for that price, it only means you have money to spend as they won’t make you a better golfer. Maybe you meant that you are happy with your purchase but to say worth every penny Wow!

• Like 1

Reel It In Jay Buhner GIF by Northwest MotorsportGlad you found your holy grail of irons for as as long as your happy that’s all that matters but to say worth every penny, it’s more like everything out there is over priced 

Edited by Tiptx1122

On 10/29/2022 at 8:41 PM, JZ75 said:

Does anyone actually believe these will offer more forgiveness, higher launch, or more ball speed than the SGI iron from any other manufacturer?

Nope. It’s stupid and in my humble opinion harming the brand…

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

A fool and his money - Page 2 - General Game Discussion - World of Warships  official forum

Need to throw away lots of money? Help is just a Paypal friends and family gift away!*

*Details provided upon request. Money will not go to a good cause it will go to me. This offer is void where prohibited by state law, when your wife walks into the room or you sober up. Other restrictions may apply if and when I determine they need to.

Edited by Dpavs

The driver is within reach especially if you want to go with an aftermarket premium shaft but those irons, no way, my PING i525's are safe

• 3 weeks later...

I hit the new Callaway GBB irons and must say, they are really nice. Very solid feel. Medium to high trajectory. I have owned and hit most PXG 0311 irons and like the feel of the GBB irons better.  I have also hit all of the models of the Titleist CNCPT irons and the Callaway GBB irons feel much better. They do not look overly large like a maximum game improvement club. Yes the price is up there but you must understand the price is not just an arbitrary number. The heads start off as a block of Titanium that are milled into shape. A very expensive material and manufacturing process.  

12 hours ago, wings02 said:

I hit the new Callaway GBB irons and must say, they are really nice. Very solid feel. Medium to high trajectory. I have owned and hit most PXG 0311 irons and like the feel of the GBB irons better.  I have also hit all of the models of the Titleist CNCPT irons and the Callaway GBB irons feel much better. They do not look overly large like a maximum game improvement club. Yes the price is up there but you must understand the price is not just an arbitrary number. The heads start off as a block of Titanium that are milled into shape. A very expensive material and manufacturing process.  

This is correct, and the end result of the use of those expensive materials is a lower CG that is plainly evident in the launch conditions that the GBB irons produce. They very effectively uncouple the launch angle (very high) and spin (lower than the initial launch would suggest), which for some will be a wonderful asset. Obviously the player that has speed and needs help preventing hot flyers isn't going to want that, but there is something unique on offer in the GBB irons that will benefit some.

WITB Link

16 hours ago, wings02 said:

Titanium is not expensive. It's under $50/LB raw. That's what Joe Blow can buy it for so a company like Callaway will pay far less. It is difficult to machine.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I love the feel of the old Rapture’s with the Ti faces ….

these irons might be good in 5 and 6 for blended sets

Cally AIS TD Max 11.5* Ventus Black TR 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 17* Ventus Black 5x 

Callaway ‘16 GBB 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

• 2 weeks later...

So how is everyone feeling that bought the GBB irons now that the Paradym irons are soon to be released. For everyone who didn't aren't you glad you waited as these Paradym irons look real nice and I'm sure perform just a nice if not better. The GBB irons are in the same price range as JDM equipment while the Paradym irons look more like JDM equipment. I'm not sure how I feel about Callaway and their quick releases  as it seems like within 6 months after release they are already outdated as the new stuff is ready to come out. Wait till the new APEX line comes out as they might be even better. How are we ever going to believe any hype when actually all we are seeing is cosmetic changes and a bunch of false marketing. 

The Paradym irons look really nice, but also look like a lot of other hollow body forged irons.  I would expect similar performance.

Ha, just looked at the website and is says 100% of reviewers recommend them.  There was one review from Anonymous. Gave me a chuckle.

Edited by Klubster

• 2 months later...
On 12/2/2022 at 7:49 PM, Tiptx1122 said:

So does that mean PING, Titleist, Mizuno etc need to jack their price up because those GBB irons are no better and for that price, it only means you have money to spend as they won’t make you a better golfer. Maybe you meant that you are happy with your purchase but to say worth every penny Wow!

dragons' den no GIF by CBC