2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Players hybrid or chunky utility iron?

ernotte

The gap between 5 iron and driver has been the most rotated spot in my bag over the past 5 years. When I found the old school Apex hybrids I thought I had solved the problem. They are anti left and have the head weight availability to cut down closer iron length with an heavy shaft and still be playable(add heavy shaft). Then came hollow body driving irons which seemed like the best of both worlds(iron and hybrid) but in the end I felt I didn’t have the accuracy of an iron or performance of a well struck hybrid from distance. They basically just fell somewhere in the middle without the full benefit of either. This search led to a random demo day with Apex UW. Search was over, I picked up a 21 and it was love after 30 min.

I was so impressed after 2 months I picked up a 17 degree to replace my 4 wood. Basically became a 4 wood 7 wood combo. Gapping wise I run 20-25 yards over 200 yards.

205- 5 iron 

225-UW 21

250-UW 17 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hitbombs2020 said:

The gap between 5 iron and driver has been the most rotated spot in my bag over the past 5 years. When I found the old school Apex hybrids I thought I had solved the problem. They are anti left and have the head weight availability to cut down closer iron length with an heavy shaft and still be playable(add heavy shaft). Then came hollow body driving irons which seemed like the best of both worlds(iron and hybrid) but in the end I felt I didn’t have the accuracy of an iron or performance of a well struck hybrid from distance. They basically just fell somewhere in the middle without the full benefit of either. This search led to a random demo day with Apex UW. Search was over, I picked up a 21 and it was love after 30 min.

I was so impressed after 2 months I picked up a 17 degree to replace my 4 wood. Basically became a 4 wood 7 wood combo. Gapping wise I run 20-25 yards over 200 yards.

205- 5 iron 

225-UW 21

250-UW 17 

Agreed. I love my 19* UW. I would go the same route as you, but I'm a lefty so I can only get the 19*. I even emailed Callaway just to say how much I liked it and encourage them to make a 17* and 21* in lefty. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fun question. I’ve evaluated this spot in my bag. I’m a right handed player and hybrids go “left” for me more often than I’d like. And fwiw, I play between a 4-8 hcp. 

I went the U505 3-iron route. I love the versatility and confidence of this club vs alternatives like hybrids and even 5-7 woods. The U505 is great off the tee, can be flighted high or low and doesn’t have a left bias miss for me. Hard to beat this option for players with decent swing speed or if your playing conditions are often windy. 

If the U505 is too chunky, go with the T200 utility build. Also a great option with a slimmer profile.  

I've been liking my chunky Cleveland UHX Utility (20*) rather than a hybrid.  It's very similar to the more popular Srixon Z U85 and I got it for dirt cheap.  I hit off the tee 10x as much as from the turf at this distance, so it's a tee shot club for me, and it's basically the only club I'm using off the tee other than driver.  And in these situations where I'm not pulling driver, it's because it's a tight hole so I like the utility which should stay straighter than a hybrid.  You have enough speed to use either, so it's really about which you'll use more, knowing that the utility may be better off the tee and the hybrid may be better from the turf.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

I've also struggled with this spot.  I've been played various driving irons over the years (Mizuno Fli-Hi, Cobra Utility, T-MB).  I've found they were all great off the tee and I had a ton of control/workability.  I also like that when you mishit a driving iron it usually stays in play.  I did find however that I rarely hit the DIs off the fairway and found it very difficult to hit well out of the rough.

I picked up a Callaway Apex UW (19 degree) and think I've finally found a winner.  It just feels like hitting the EASY button and fit my gapping very well. 

1 hour ago, JDobs said:

Fun question. I’ve evaluated this spot in my bag. I’m a right handed player and hybrids go “left” for me more often than I’d like. And fwiw, I play between a 4-8 hcp. 

I went the U505 3-iron route. I love the versatility and confidence of this club vs alternatives like hybrids and even 5-7 woods. The U505 is great off the tee, can be flighted high or low and doesn’t have a left bias miss for me. Hard to beat this option for players with decent swing speed or if your playing conditions are often windy. 

If the U505 is too chunky, go with the T200 utility build. Also a great option with a slimmer profile.  

I play T200 irons (5i - PW) and tried the utility T200 4i, but since I'm trying to replace the 4i and 4h and fill my gap between my 5i (190 carry) 19*UW (225 carry) it didn't quite go far enough.  I probably should have gotten the 3i.  It was also the first time I had hit a RDX Black Smoke shaft and WOOF, that thing felt awful.  I know it was the shaft, because I love the way my irons feel.  

I'm giving the Apex Pro hybrid a go right now, but the U505 3i could be my next option.  Just have to find a better shaft!

I hardly ever use an iron off the tee on par 4s/5s so my definite choice would be the players hybrid.  Those Apex Pros are money for a lower hcp cause they aren't created as a distance club and IMO a hybrid will offer more shot options than a driving iron or game improvement long iron. I'm a BIG fan of the TM M3 hybrid because of the player profile and adjustability - hoping that TM releases a Stealth Pro with an adjustable hosel in '23.

fyi - I play both a driving iron (22° Callaway Apex UT ) & hybrid (19° TM M3) and hcp = 9.  Hope you find something that suits your game.

TaylorMade M5 10.5° /  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60 S
Cobra King Speedzone 18.5@17° / Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 S
TaylorMade  M3 3/19° Rescue/ Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 80H S
Callaway X Forged Utility 21°@22° /  TT Elevate 95 S

Honma T//World Rose Proto MB 5-10 / N.S. Pro Modus3 120TX
Edison 51° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 56° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T22 60° / DG Tour Issue S400
L.A.B. B.2 Brass/ BGT Stability Tour Black
Maxfli Tour X

I struggled with this a lot for my own decision. In high school I was really errant off the tee and it would kill my match scores, but my T-MB 2i helped me cut strokes significantly. It wasn’t consistent anywhere besides the tee box though. 

I spent a lot of time with a hybrid and it’s my favorite club in the bag now. I play the G425 right now and it’s my “lightning in a bottle”!

Spend some practice time with a hybrid off the tee and see if it changes your mind. They’re too versatile to not have imo. 

On 11/28/2022 at 9:50 AM, Binson said:

Apex UW

public service announcement, the Apex UW may rust on you, if you can look past the rust then its a great club but I have had two that have since been returned for this issue and have moved onto the 7 wood 

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

On 12/7/2022 at 9:10 AM, cav5 said:

Real key is to these clubs is shaft weight. Off the rack they're way too light to hit different shots with, especially low.

Being able to beat down a hybrid is difficult but a real weapon if you can do it. That said I swap both depending on how the swings feeling.

You also need to be realistic. I don't expect to hit greens from 230+ but I also don't want to hit an awful shot that puts me out of play so pick the club that doesn't allow for that.

Couldn't agree more on shaft weight. I play X100s in my irons and have a 120g X100 in my 2 iron. I'd love a anti-left hybrid for going into long par 5's but 70-80g shafts stock are unplayable. Yes I could put my own shaft in it but who wants to pay $400 for a hybrid+shaft when I can use a $30 steel shaft in a driving iron. 

54 minutes ago, Indygolfer18 said:

I struggled with this a lot for my own decision. In high school I was really errant off the tee and it would kill my match scores, but my T-MB 2i helped me cut strokes significantly. It wasn’t consistent anywhere besides the tee box though. 

I spent a lot of time with a hybrid and it’s my favorite club in the bag now. I play the G425 right now and it’s my “lightning in a bottle”!

Spend some practice time with a hybrid off the tee and see if it changes your mind. They’re too versatile to not have imo. 

I have just dropped the 2i and 3i for 3h and 4h G425's.  Lost some ability to shape shots but its no big deal.  I just couldn't get the 3i out of the rough any longer and the 2i wasn't landing nicely on my local par 3 with headwind that I was struggling with.  4h will be here next week and I've been hitting the 3h a lot in the sim and love it.  Get to play tomorrow for the first time with the 3h.  I'm excited.

• Like 1

Driver - TSi3 8 deg, Project X HZRDUS SB PVD 60 6.5

3 Wd - TSI3 15 deg, Project X HZRDUS 70 6.5

3i-PW - Mizuno Pro 221, Oban CT-115 Stiff

Vokey SM9 50 deg, Oban CT-115 Stiff

Vokey SM9 54 deg, Oban CT-115 Stiff

Vokey SM9 58 deg, Oban CT-115 Stiff

Putter - Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Triple Wide

Simulator - Bushnell Launch Pro, Foresight Sim In A Box Birdie

Good question. The revolving clubs in my bag are a ZX 4 hybrid and the ZX 3 utility iron. Above this is the 16 degree ZX 2 hybrid and a Callaway Epic Max LS driver. They all have Hzrdus 6.0 shafts. The gappings work fine, my handicap is now 11 and in the last two months the 4 hybrid has stayed in the bag because it’s more versatile and because I have been using the 2 hybrid when I need a shorter club off the tee. 

Driver = Callaway Rogue ST Max w Kai’li White 60S

3HL = Callaway Paradigm X w Tensei AV Blue 75S

3UI = Srixon ZX Mkii w Recoil DART 90
5-PW = XXIO X 12 w N.S. Pro 950GH Neo DST

Wedges = Cobra Snakebite 48 | 52 | 58

Putter = Wilson Staff Model 8802 

Ball = 2024 AVX 

9 hours ago, FirePro said:

public service announcement, the Apex UW may rust on you, if you can look past the rust then its a great club but I have had two that have since been returned for this issue and have moved onto the 7 wood 

As long as a club performs, that's all that matters to me. The Apex UW has been a godsend for me. I'd never hit more than a hybrid off the fairway on par 5s because there was a 75% chance my 4 wood was going 50 left or right. The first two holes I played with the UW were par 5s. Hole 1 - UW, UW, tap in eagle.  Hole 2 - Driver, UW short of green, chip, tap in birdie. It was love at first sight. 😍

As a sweeper of the highest degree I have long struggled with hybrids going left, or at minimum the fear that they would.  Between 4 wood and 6 iron (my lowest "real" iron) I go 21 UW and 23 (bent to 24) Srixon U85.  I am in the 95ish speed with the driver, so getting the extra launch of the Utility iron for shots 185-190 has been really good for me.  Only downside is my rounds have added at least 10 minutes because of how many headcovers I have to keep track of

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/9/2022 at 12:00 AM, ernotte said:

As long as a club performs, that's all that matters to me. The Apex UW has been a godsend for me. I'd never hit more than a hybrid off the fairway on par 5s because there was a 75% chance my 4 wood was going 50 left or right. The first two holes I played with the UW were par 5s. Hole 1 - UW, UW, tap in eagle.  Hole 2 - Driver, UW short of green, chip, tap in birdie. It was love at first sight. 😍

What’s your distance difference between the UW and the Apex Pro 20?

Following this as my 4i spot is continually up in the air.

As of right now I’m playing a chunkier 4i as it’s been the best compromise, but it still isn’t great out of questionable lies or heavy rough. I’ve tried numerous medium to medium-large hybrids and none have really worked out as a true 4i replacement for me. So I’ll be trying out some small players hybrids this winter next, callaway apex pro, tour edge c722 come to mind and potentially the tm dhy. 

Curious to see how it works out for you and myself. 

This is such an interesting/frustrating/fun part of my bag. ZX utility is perfect in my 4i slot, but the spot between that and my fairway is a constant search. Never played a hybrid and not especially fond of the look. I had a Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 3i, but felt very one dimensional and kind of repetitive with the ZX. Apex UW may be my next experiment. 

• Like 1

My WITB

Cobra Darkspeed LS 10.5º -1º | Tour AD VF 6x

TBD | LIN-Q M40x Blue 7F5

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus Rescue 19.5º | Tour AD IZ 95x

Srixon ZX Utility 4i | MMT 105tx

Titleist T150 | Modus 115x

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 50º & 54º | DG TI S400

Cleveland RTX Full Face 58º |  Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon Garage Las Vegas H7 | KBS CT Tour

Ball: TP5x or Prov1

On 12/7/2022 at 8:53 AM, me05501 said:

My longest "iron" is a Srixon ZU85 5, and I use it the same way I would a 5 iron. Mostly full swings from decent lies and the occasional punch out. 

My next longest club is a Callaway Apex 4 hybrid with an adjustable neck. I find it to be much more versatile than the utility. 

Hybrid all day long.  If you’re a tour pro, or close to it there might a different answer, but a hybrid will be more forgiving and launch higher.  And who doesn’t need more height. It’s not about how good you hit ‘em, it’s about how good you miss ’em. 

8 hours ago, vman said:

I've tried hybrids but they've never got in the bag. I find there is too much inconsistency in carry distance for me, I find my old Adams DHY's are predictable. 

Agree. I’ve had hybrids built that won’t hook but the inconsistent distance and trajectory is why I stopped using them.

On 11/28/2022 at 12:31 PM, ernotte said:

What caused the issue is that I changed irons from Mizuno MP-54s to Titleist T200s and so everything goes a bit further.

MP-54s for me still!  Another nod to Adams Mini and Super 9031 with iron shafts and lengths.  They worked well.

However I found a liking for SGI irons in that spot as I prefer the inviting look of a big iron with not too terrible offset for those type of clubs.  I just wanted something to hit high and straight.  As someone with a bit of speed it was more about confidence than needing distance, and they're perfectly fine out of bad lies.  The advantage over hybrid, for me, is straighter mishits, esp. ones that don't hook as much.  SGI 5 iron (I consider it a 4.5 iron) can carry 230 but can back down to 200 to gap with my MP-54 6 iron.

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, RIPα105X 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

This always seems to be the one gap I struggle with as well. I am a heavy sweeper and don't hit my irons (T100) long relative to my woods.  5i is the longest I carry, 190-195 carry.  

I recently picked up a TSi1 23 degree wood (not sure if that's a 9 or 7) and it is far and away my favorite club in the bag.   I was able to cut it down an inch and add a heavy weight to the back the same way I play my TSi2 4 wood and it is a weapon from 215.  Problem is, its about 10-15 yards longer than I needed it to be.

I have 3 par 3's at my club that play 200-205 and that is the number I cant seem to figure out.  I have an OG Apex 4H with a KBS Steel Hybrid shaft that I love off the tee, but when i miss it left it's off the planet left. it's also a 215-220 club and is just a little too long. I built the same exact club in a 5H but I can never seem to get it right for whatever reason. I've messed around with the idea of utility iron but I really struggle to give up launch and spin when I don't have to. Comforting reading this thread and seeing i'm not the only one needing help here.

As you can see in my sig, X Forged UT 21 (18*), love this thing!!!, I was playing an Apex Pro 18* Hyb but it was too inconsistent for my swing, once I jumped on the UT I don't think I am going back to a Hyb, the UT is carrying (baby fade) in the 250s and rolls to 260sh of the tee, around 240sh off the turf with a baby fade as well, yes the hybrid is longer but not accurate, so UT for me...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

That slot has seen a lot of variation over the past year.  I added the customised UW when I took out a great little PXG Gen 2 hybrid, for more spin and consistent distance control.  Realised I created a gap to 5i and needed to find a long solution.  I tried a few different 3i-4i models and even the hybrid lofted up to 22* with a shorter shaft. What's working is the HMB 4i with an MMT shaft. The head is kind of light, so my regular iron shaft isn't balanced. The loft and CG get plenty of height and spin, the sole works on a variety of lies and the ballspeeds though not overly hot are very consistent.

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D2.5) 18GF, 8GB 45"

(testing) Diamana PD 60TX (D5) 16GF, 5GB 45.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

T20 50.07, T24 54.08D, T20 60.06, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34"  Callaway Tour X

I've sort of given up on trying to select just one club for this spot in the bag, and I'm going with two and swapping depending on tee needs/course conditions.

Windy day, playing somewhere with par 3s in the low 200s, or playing somewhere where I need that distance off the tee on some short par 4s: Ping iCrossover 4 with the Tour 2.0 85S shaft, set to flat 22.5*. 

Someplace with thick rough, wind's relatively calm, par 3 distances can be covered by other clubs: Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4 hybrid at 23 degrees and 1 flat, with a Tensei AV White 85S shaft. 

These two clubs are the same length, and both generally go about 205 for me. The hybrid goes much higher, and sometimes is a little shorter. I just have some sort of mental block about hitting the hybrid off the tee -- I'm totally inconsistent with it, whereas that iCrossover is a lower ballflight but just seems automatic. 

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide