2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2023 Maxfli Tour, Tour X and Tour S

VladDrag

14 hours ago, Straphael said:

One ball rule would say you can’t. Unless you are playing an official tournament under usga rules do what you want. Only thing I would be worried about with doing that is carry distances change and you are gonna get sporadic with front to back dispersion

I am far from an "elite" golfer, as I am not good enough to have ever played in a USGA event. However, in playing golf for well over 60 years and playing in many, many "club" events, the "one ball rule", being optional, has never been used.

• Like 1

I've tried this with a firm ball for the tee and softer urethane ball for the irons. It was a hassle switching the ball out each time. Perhaps, once in a while is ok on a par 3 if the pin placement demands it. If you are not in a tournament or not playing for money, who really cares? We're playing for enjoyment. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tanner25 said:

I've tried this with a firm ball for the tee and softer urethane ball for the irons. It was a hassle switching the ball out each time. Perhaps, once in a while is ok on a par 3 if the pin placement demands it. If you are not in a tournament or not playing for money, who really cares? We're playing for enjoyment. 

It's fine if you're playing for fun but you technically "shouldn't" count rounds where you do if you are keeping an official handicap.  Only talking about a different ball on the same hole, not different balls for different holes.

Edited by cardigan
  • Like 2

On 8/9/2023 at 1:20 PM, larciel said:

My gamer is Tour X and 21 is significantly higher than 23. 

Screenshot 2023-08-09 101644.png

Explain this to me.

The 2023 X ranks 14 points lower in quality over the 2021 ball, even though it has a 3% higher rate of good balls than the 21?

The only other difference in categories is compression consistency. So that difference accounts for more that 14 points?

3 bad 2023 balls out of 100 makes it rank that much lower than 6 bad balls out of 100 from the 2021 ball?

what am I missing?

4 minutes ago, hollabachgt said:

Explain this to me.

The 2023 X ranks 14 points lower in quality over the 2021 ball, even though it has a 3% higher rate of good balls than the 21?

The only other difference in categories is compression consistency. So that difference accounts for more that 14 points?

3 bad 2023 balls out of 100 makes it rank that much lower than 6 bad balls out of 100 from the 2021 ball?

what am I missing?

I'm baffled by the ranking also

• Like 1

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

13 minutes ago, hollabachgt said:

Explain this to me.

what am I missing?

I would assume that the percentage of bad balls is simply due to them testing a different number of balls each time.  They don't have a published review of the 2021 ball that I can find but they say they tested 3 boxes of the 2023 ball and "I think" 3 boxes has been their standard lately.  It's probably 1/24 bad balls for the 21 and 1/36 bad balls for the 23.  Would have to know what weight they give in each category to know all of the details but the difference between fair and good for compression obviously is weighted more than a 3 percent difference in good ball percentage (which may not even have existed if they tested the same number of balls in each test).  In any case, while I do find their ball tests interesting and think there is "some" value in the findings, I don't think they test nearly enough balls for it to be anywhere near "scientific" even if they do get each of the 2 or 3 boxes from different sources.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gioreeko said:

I'm baffled by the ranking also

I agree. The relevance of their “number” ranking just seems totally arbitrary and not related to previous models or other models. It’s common sense if last years ball was rated X, and the newer model has better results it shoulder X+, not less than a previous model that didn’t test as well. The only testing of theirs I value is the robotic golf ball test. For an entity that claims to be brand agnostic, it sure appears that they give some brands different opinions than others. I wish Ping would release their data they use for Balnamic. From reading and listening to the testing protocol, that may be the most useful test to refer to.

Edited by hammergolf

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

6 hours ago, hollabachgt said:

what am I missing?

Quote -

As you’ll see below, our sample had some compression inconsistency. Individual balls measured as high as 107. Assuming we’re not the only ones to find especially firm balls in our sample, it certainly would explain why some have said the ball feels excessively firm compared to the prior version.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

4 hours ago, hammergolf said:

I agree. The relevance of their “number” ranking just seems totally arbitrary and not related to previous models or other models. It’s common sense if last years ball was rated X, and the newer model has better results it shoulder X+, not less than a previous model that didn’t test as well. The only testing of theirs I value is the robotic golf ball test. For an entity that claims to be brand agnostic, it sure appears that they give some brands different opinions than others. I wish Ping would release their data they use for Balnamic. From reading and listening to the testing protocol, that may be the most useful test to refer to.

The new model had better results in one category (bad ball percentage by 3 percentage points which is almost certainly just one ball within different sample sizes) and worse results in another category (compression consistency fair vs good in all balls tested).  While I don't think that their tests are truly scientific, I don't know if I'd necessarily say the "results" they post are arbitrary or biased.  It's probably still a (likely flawed) formula (with not nearly enough data).

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2023 at 7:28 AM, Tanner25 said:

How are the yellow ones playing?

Late to the thread - but I was testing the white 2023 Tour vs the Yellow Pro V1 and then the MGS report came out and I added the Triad into the mix.  Long story shorter than I could make it - settled on Yellow 2023 Tour CG (the old yellow tour had been my ball until they were no longer available) - and have been playing one as of this week.  Since Saturday (today is Tues) I played 43 holes with the same Yellow Maxfli Tour.  And I am completely blown away at how it is holding up and performing.  They obviously upgraded the finish.  This ball has hit at least 3 trees and taken 3 rides on cart paths and seemed lost at least twice.  Compare to the only 2021 model that I have left (just used in my simulator hitting into a curtain lined net) - no a great comparrison - but if you played with the 2021 ball - you get where I am coming from. Kuddos to DSG on the upgrade to the yellow ball - for us optically chanllenged old guys ....

20230911_201315.jpg

20230911_201326.jpg

20230911_201336.jpg

20230912_070504.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/21/2023 at 11:22 AM, darsony said:

The MGS ball test showing how short off the tee the Tour-S is has scared me.  Has anyone experienced this?  

It was ~2 yards shorter off the tee than both the Pro V1 and and the AVX at both the Fast and Mid SS.

Apples to Apples that is about as comparable as you could hope for.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JohnnyO3478 said:

Late to the thread - but I was testing the white 2023 Tour vs the Yellow Pro V1 and then the MGS report came out and I added the Triad into the mix.  Long story shorter than I could make it - settled on Yellow 2023 Tour CG (the old yellow tour had been my ball until they were no longer available) - and have been playing one as of this week.  Since Saturday (today is Tues) I played 43 holes with the same Yellow Maxfli Tour.  And I am completely blown away at how it is holding up and performing.  They obviously upgraded the finish.  This ball has hit at least 3 trees and taken 3 rides on cart paths and seemed lost at least twice.  Compare to the only 2021 model that I have left (just used in my simulator hitting into a curtain lined net) - no a great comparrison - but if you played with the 2021 ball - you get where I am coming from. Kuddos to DSG on the upgrade to the yellow ball - for us optically chanllenged old guys ....

20230911_201315.jpg

20230911_201326.jpg

20230911_201336.jpg

20230912_070504.jpg

Great. feedback thanks. I think DSG has turned up their yellow game. Even the soft and straightfli new yellow feels and looks good in hand.

3 hours ago, Tanner25 said:

Great. feedback thanks. I think DSG has turned up their yellow game. Even the soft and straightfli new yellow feels and looks good in hand.

It would certainly appear as such.  I'd go as far as to say that the2023 yellow ball looks better than the 2023 white Tour - after any significant use.  I didn't play the older version of the white ball - so I do not know if it is the same this time around, or not.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, hollabachgt said:

It was ~2 yards shorter off the tee than both the Pro V1 and and the AVX at both the Fast and Mid SS.

Apples to Apples that is about as comparable as you could hope for.

Unfortunately for me (65yo) I'm between the slow and the mid speed (~93mph). My actual usage comparing the white pro V1 and the white Tour-S  didn't really seem to show one better than the other, although around the greens the pro V1 is perfect and no ball has bested it.  I'm thinking that unless one launches with the same conditions as the test your results are going to be very different, maybe even to the point of rendering the whole ball test comparison useless.  Personally, I found the yellow 2021 pro V1 to be the longest ball I could hit.  The Tour-S is a good ball no doubt about it. I've played some very good golf with it and that's how I ultimately choose a golf ball.  I'm just curious if anyone has experienced the shortness off the tee like they described in the test at slower swing speeds.

46 minutes ago, darsony said:

Unfortunately for me (65yo) I'm between the slow and the mid speed (~93mph). My actual usage comparing the white pro V1 and the white Tour-S  didn't really seem to show one better than the other, although around the greens the pro V1 is perfect and no ball has bested it.  I'm thinking that unless one launches with the same conditions as the test your results are going to be very different, maybe even to the point of rendering the whole ball test comparison useless.  Personally, I found the yellow 2021 pro V1 to be the longest ball I could hit.  The Tour-S is a good ball no doubt about it. I've played some very good golf with it and that's how I ultimately choose a golf ball.  I'm just curious if anyone has experienced the shortness off the tee like they described in the test at slower swing speeds.

Even at the slow speed, the Tour S is still 2 yards shorter than the Pro V1. I'm not sure what you're seeing to make you think the ball is significantly shorter than comparable balls.

I started playing the Tour S as a cheap alternative to the AVX and have found it to live up to that billing quite well.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, hollabachgt said:

Even at the slow speed, the Tour S is still 2 yards shorter than the Pro V1. I'm not sure what you're seeing to make you think the ball is significantly shorter than comparable balls.

I started playing the Tour S as a cheap alternative to the AVX and have found it to live up to that billing quite well.

You know what? You are right!  When comparing to the Pro V1 its ~2yds shorter off the driver but ~2yds longer off the irons so overall about even. Thanks.  Guess I misread it!

I loved the 2019 Yellow Tour's. If they ever get 48 packs of the yellow, I'll switch from Vice back to Maxfli.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Aldila RIP Phenom 50 A
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

2 hours ago, Ger21 said:

I loved the 2019 Yellow Tour's. If they ever get 48 packs of the yellow, I'll switch from Vice back to Maxfli.

Buying 4 boxes online is the same price as the 48 pack and it applies to yellow.

"Limited-Time Sale: Get 1 for $39.99, 2 for $70, or 4 for $119.99 on Select Maxfli Tour Golf Balls! Discount Applied in Cart."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cardigan said:

Buying 4 boxes online is the same price as the 48 pack and it applies to yellow.

"Limited-Time Sale: Get 1 for $39.99, 2 for $70, or 4 for $119.99 on Select Maxfli Tour Golf Balls! Discount Applied in Cart."

I believe it's the same price in store

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik 5 wood
Callaway Mavrik Irons 

Mavrik hybrids
Odyssey White Hot RX 7 putter

Maxfli tour S

13 hours ago, delfam said:

For someone with a 105mph driver swing, what model would be best for me? I'm not really sure the differences between all the models

Going strictly by perfmormance in thhe 2023 MGS Ball Test - the Tour X would likely suit you best.  If you care about the quality controls at the factory - you may want to steer clear of any 4 pc ball made by Foremost.  They do not have a good track record of making a 4 pc ball that has a consistent compression - compared to the 3 pc balls they make - and compared to what comes out of Ball Plant 3.

Edited by JohnnyO3478

On 9/20/2023 at 3:56 PM, cardigan said:

Same as in store.

• Driver - Ping G430 SFT 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - Ping i210 6-PW Modus 105 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

• 2 weeks later...

Figured why not… fall golf ball trial.  If it’s a soft prov1 that feels like a BXS off a putter I’ll be happy.  Just wondering about wedge spin and controllable driver spin for a higher swing speed/ball speed. 

71807860918__3B4E477C-9604-4F8A-9050-009F49782B78.jpeg

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Been beating the new yellow Tour around in the garage simulator for about a month now. Including about a billion wedge shots.

There's no doubt that the new yellow is more durable than the old yellow, and probably even the new white.

And compared to the durability (IMO) premium ball benchmark, the new yellow Pro V1 - the Tour is more than holding its own. I'd say the Titleist feels noticeably rougher when rolling it around in my hand. 

As for performance white v yellow - I can't tell a bit of difference. 

20231005_195732.jpg

20231005_195805.jpg

20231005_195830.jpg

20231005_195849.jpg

20231005_200504.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Played a round with the tour today and it doesn’t spin enough off the irons and around the green for me.  Height and distance off driver are solid but I hit some shots that should have spun a whole lot harder than they did. 

Anyone have a sleeve of x’s they’d sell?

Edited by Phabs

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS