Mizuno Irons New vs Old

becoh

At the range yesterday, next to a guy who had some older Mizuno blades (MP-69) and judging by his ball striking, he seemed to know a thing or 2 about the game. He mentioned that he prefers the feel on the older Mizuno irons, because the new chromoly has a "clicky" feel to them.

I started golfing a couple years ago, have the 921 HMP and certainly enjoy them. I never got to play with any of the older Mizuno clubs so I can't compare.

I'm curious if anyone else noticed a change in the feel on Mizuno irons.

I have a set of MP33’s with Brunswick 6.0 rifle shafts that feel much better than the current offerings. The new irons look incredible but too me there is something different in the feel. I do not if is the forging process or the raw material but I prefer the older Mizuno’s. Just my .02

• Like 2

The old Mizuno irons definitely had an amazing feel to them. The old great endo forged soft one piece forgings are largely a thing of the past..especially in game improvement irons. Even a lot of 'forged' clubs these days are forged faces on a non-forged club or a like Mizuno using a mixed metal format.

IMO, it's neither good or bad, just different. You can do a lot more things to bring a mix of playability, forgiveness and feel to an iron.  But IMO, a lot of older clubs forged clubs feel better than their modern counterparts. I was never good enough to game the MP series, but the MX-23s were WAY ahead of their time in terms of forged forgiving cavity back irons.  MIzuno makes some great clubs in the JPX line, but once they moved to Boron, they lost a lot of the feel of their old clubs.

Edited by mantan
  • Like 1

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

13 minutes ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

I have mp5 2015.. and mp 20mmc. The feel is night and day. Still feels great but something so special about mp5s. Ball feels heavyier but soft and responsibe off face. The touch is impeccable lol havent felt bothing like it. Other stuff feels great but not like that.

The MX-23s were similar. Not to the same extend, but the feeling was a combination of solid/soft/pure that was intoxicating. I had them with the old school Rifle shafts and they felt SO good when flushed them. I had a set of the much maligned JPX-EZ Forged that was a step in the wrong direction.  Then they went Boron and the feeling was flat out hard.

I just ordered a set of JPX 923 Hot Metals. I accept that they are just different clubs from a feel perspective these days.

• Like 2

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

3 minutes ago, mantan said:

The MX-23s were similar. Not to the same extend, but the feeling was a combination of solid/soft/pure that was intoxicating. I had them with the old school Rifle shafts and they felt SO good when flushed them. I had a set of the much maligned JPX-EZ Forged that was a step in the wrong direction.  Then they went Boron and the feeling was flat out hard.

I just ordered a set of JPX 923 Hot Metals. I accept that they are just different clubs from a feel perspective these days.

Yeah the mizuno irons the past few years feel great but from what i experienced with a past model in the mp5...older ones had something special sounds like.

Bought a new 7i test iron mp18 sc so the cb. For me no soft forged feel. Pulled apart spine aligned reglued still nothing special so sold it. That was after the fabulous Mp4/5 . Found mp62 softer than mp63. May i also say i have had 2 sets of mp33 and one set felt way better than the other. My mp37s nothing special, to me. Miss my mp60 set now... Re Endo, my J33cb are just fine. No Boron here😊

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Very interesting on feel. I don't know if the mp14 had copper, I've read articles where they said the 14s had copper and some say they didn't etc...What I do know is the 14s feel buttery, so much so that I didn't like the feel of the mp5's, mp69s etc...however, now that I've played recent iterations of the jpx and mps, I've come to appreciate the feel of the mp 5s, 68s, 69s, etc. And with the addition of copper on the 20s, 221, they actually felt similar to the mp 5s and 69s which may point to how recent mizunos feel firmer. I think the addition of copper on the 20s, 221s, and 923s put them now on a similar footing as those past mizunos. Still, nothing has felt as soft like the 14s, or tn87. One thing to note is beautiful bag chatter that quickly developed on my past sets, I know that bag chatter scares the iron cover crowd but I liked it and it made them seem that much softer. The mp20s I had didn't develop bag chatter like my other sets do/did. Maybe they are actually firmer?  Dunno. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, golfinbrad said:

I miss my T Zoids.  Was one of my all time favorites.  Today's irons are more consistent and forgiving, but something about the older irons when well struck.

I thought about picking up a set off of eBay, but since the grooves aren't conforming I decided against it.  I wish Mizuno would do a re-release of the T-Zoid Pro.  I'd be all over those.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4, 8*, Motore X F1 7S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/10 & 58/10 Raw, DG X7
Mizuno OMOI 2 Blue Ion
Ball - Titleist Pro V1X left dash

4 hours ago, becoh said:

At the range yesterday, next to a guy who had some older Mizuno blades (MP-69) and judging by his ball striking, he seemed to know a thing or 2 about the game. He mentioned that he prefers the feel on the older Mizuno irons, because the new chromoly has a "clicky" feel to them.

I started golfing a couple years ago, have the 921 HMP and certainly enjoy them. I never got to play with any of the older Mizuno clubs so I can't compare.

I'm curious if anyone else noticed a change in the feel on Mizuno irons.

Every time Mizuno changes things up a bit, some fan boys get all bent out of shape about it.  I remember when Mizuno first went to the grain flow forging process and some people swore they'd never use Mizuno irons again because they ruined the feel.  Same thing happened with the MP 25s and the introduction of boron... even though it was only 3 parts per million, some people wrote Mizuno off for making the worst feeling irons ever.  Others lost their mind when Mizuno dared to put the "MP" label on the MP H4 and MP H5, which were not a fully forged iron.  And, more recently, when Mizuno decided to put the "Mizuno Pro" script on their irons, I saw a discussion where people were talking about selling their current irons (which were older model Mizunos without the "Mizuno Pro") and switching to another brand because they hated how the script looked on the back of irons that they didn't own.

For what it is worth, I've played T-Zoid Pros, MP 60, and a mixed bag of MP 5, MP 25s, and MP H5s (I've also got an MP 67 6-iron for practice sessions so I don't wear out the grooves on my MP 5 6-iron).  To me, they all feel different, but all feel great.  The only one where I can definitely say "these feel hard/clicky" are the H5s, but so what?  Even though I've only had it for a season, I've used the MP H5 5-iron to win more money on closest to the pins than what I paid for the 3, 4, and 5 irons.  "Click it and stick it" as I always never say.  🙂

Mizuno OMOI 2 Blue Ion

3 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

I have mp5 2015.. and mp 20mmc. The feel is night and day. Still feels great but something so special about mp5s. Ball feels heavyier but soft and responsibe off face. The touch is impeccable lol havent felt bothing like it. Other stuff feels great but not like that.

Wish I never sold my MP5's..... 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, grochol17 said:

Every time Mizuno changes things up a bit, some fan boys get all bent out of shape about it.  I remember when Mizuno first went to the grain flow forging process and some people swore they'd never use Mizuno irons again because they ruined the feel.  Same thing happened with the MP 25s and the introduction of boron... even though it was only 3 parts per million, some people wrote Mizuno off for making the worst feeling irons ever.  Others lost their mind when Mizuno dared to put the "MP" label on the MP H4 and MP H5, which were not a fully forged iron.  And, more recently, when Mizuno decided to put the "Mizuno Pro" script on their irons, I saw a discussion where people were talking about selling their current irons (which were older model Mizunos without the "Mizuno Pro") and switching to another brand because they hated how the script looked on the back of irons that they didn't own.

For what it is worth, I've played T-Zoid Pros, MP 60, and a mixed bag of MP 5, MP 25s, and MP H5s (I've also got an MP 67 6-iron for practice sessions so I don't wear out the grooves on my MP 5 6-iron).  To me, they all feel different, but all feel great.  The only one where I can definitely say "these feel hard/clicky" are the H5s, but so what?  Even though I've only had it for a season, I've used the MP H5 5-iron to win more money on closest to the pins than what I paid for the 3, 4, and 5 irons.  "Click it and stick it" as I always never say.  🙂

I agree with the... they all feel different but great comment. Each company has its own feel but within that company each years new iron never feels the same. Some feel better then others company wise and some feel better some years then others which is odd if they are using same materials?? That being said... mp5 is the best feeling iron ive ever felt or think i will.

• Like 1

HD Grain Flow Forged changed the feel a lot. Boron was only used on certain MP line of irons, more in the lines that straddled between players CB and players distance. 

HD process firmed up the feel significantly... It feels good, and feedback is better, but not as buttery smooth like irons that just had GRAIN FLOW FORGED. 

This doesnt mean that everyone should prefer the older irons vs new... I just think people that gamed and gotten used the how the Mizunos felt in 1990-2010 period just feels like the brand has created some sacrilege against their beloved iron brand, but I honestly think its more to do with how the ball is advancing, and trying to manufacture irons that satisfy the younger golfers who grew up playing firmer forged irons with firmer golf balls. Sure the late 90s and 2000s Mizunos felt great, but golf balls were also significantly different. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Mp14forlife said:

Very interesting on feel. I don't know if the mp14 had copper, I've read articles where they said the 14s had copper and some say they didn't etc...

After witnessing an MP14 getting refinished, it did not have copper underlayer. Still, the feel of it was so soft, it wouldnt have mattered anyway. 

I'm an old lefty so VERY limited on Mizuno selections...

Just recently (yesterday) grabbed and tried a set of 223s irons.....chromoly and slots in the longer irons ......yet NO click for me and I'm extremely sensitive to that sensation. 

P770, Z585, T200 long irons , Apex Pro 21 and few other players style irons have it that I've tried.....abhor that feel/sound.

I've had mp59, mp60, mp68, mp32, mp53 , mp54 and a few others.....design were blades or cb with much thinner sole design than my 223. The 223 from my understanding is basically a compact JPX921forged club . Built for some forgiveness but added pop. NO CLICK however an a near true Mizuno feel. The 223 does offer the copper underlay , so that helps. 

12 hours ago, Gohigh said:

Sure the late 90s and 2000s Mizunos felt great, but golf balls were also significantly different. 

Yeah... regardless of the iron, hitting a balata is a very different feel from hitting a solid core ball.

• Like 1

Mizuno OMOI 2 Blue Ion

14 hours ago, Gohigh said:

HD Grain Flow Forged changed the feel a lot. Boron was only used on certain MP line of irons, more in the lines that straddled between players CB and players distance. 

HD process firmed up the feel significantly... It feels good, and feedback is better, but not as buttery smooth like irons that just had GRAIN FLOW FORGED. 

This doesnt mean that everyone should prefer the older irons vs new... I just think people that gamed and gotten used the how the Mizunos felt in 1990-2010 period just feels like the brand has created some sacrilege against their beloved iron brand, but I honestly think its more to do with how the ball is advancing, and trying to manufacture irons that satisfy the younger golfers who grew up playing firmer forged irons with firmer golf balls. Sure the late 90s and 2000s Mizunos felt great, but golf balls were also significantly different. 

Very good point, I was about to put the golf ball part in my reply. I played professional 90s and balatas in the 90s and the earlier iterations of prov1s were softer. The new prov1x is an absolute clicky nightmare for me and feels horrible to me. I play the Bridgestone bxs and love that softer feel.  

8 hours ago, Tru said:

I wish I’d never sold my 32s or 68s… 

Some of us never did and they are still in the bag.

TEE C721 10.5 Ventus Red 5R (with 10g lead tape under the stripes)

Adams Idea Pro 20, 23, 26 Aldila VS Proto 80S

MP32 6-PW DGR300, +1"

MP223 GW DGS200, +1"

Cleveland 588 RTG TA 51 DG wedge flex

Vokey 256.12 DG wedge flex

1969 Ping Anser 85029 34" long step

golf..."can't be mastered, can only be played"

On 2/11/2023 at 11:37 AM, mantan said:

The old Mizuno irons definitely had an amazing feel to them. The old great endo forged soft one piece forgings are largely a thing of the past..especially in game improvement irons. Even a lot of 'forged' clubs these days are forged faces on a non-forged club or a like Mizuno using a mixed metal format.

IMO, it's neither good or bad, just different. You can do a lot more things to bring a mix of playability, forgiveness and feel to an iron.  But IMO, a lot of older clubs forged clubs feel better than their modern counterparts. I was never good enough to game the MP series, but the MX-23s were WAY ahead of their time in terms of forged forgiving cavity back irons.  MIzuno makes some great clubs in the JPX line, but once they moved to Boron, they lost a lot of the feel of their old clubs.

Dead on here, the MX-23s to me are still the best game improvement irons ever made. There hasn't been anything like them since. Srixon z585 was real close but not quite.

I still have a set of MX-23s in the garage and as a 7 hdcp they are still the perfect club for me:

JPX Hot Metal way to thick of a sole but good on offset and blade length

JPX Hot Metal Pro needs a little more offset, a little more blade length and slightly thinner sole

JPX Forged needs longer blade length, slightly more offset and slightly thicker sole

I wish Mizuno looked back on the days of the MX-20/MX-23 and built the Hot Metal Pro around this model!!!

I've been a Mizzy iron man since the late 90s. (Not crazy about drivers, FWs, or wedges, but nothing I've tried has kicked their forged irons out of my bag - and I try everything every couple years). 

Currently bagging MP20 MMC. Luscious butter feel, immensely workable, but surprisingly forgiving. 

However, for the sake of this thread? One of the most perfect irons ever made was the original muscleback - the MP32. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

• 11 months later...
On 2/11/2023 at 7:23 PM, Gohigh said:

After witnessing an MP14 getting refinished, it did not have copper underlayer. Still, the feel of it was so soft, it wouldnt have mattered anyway. 

Sorry to bump this, I had somebody like a comment and I got the notification but rereading through this thread, I found this straight from Mizunos website. 

Screenshot_20240208-120109.png

I played MP14, 33 & 29 which all felt similar to each other.  (Soft) I remember trying an MP59 i think.  (Blade like with titanium in muscle).  That felt a little clickier.  Back then, I would classify most of the Titleist Blade offerings as “Clickier” than Mizuno.  I would assume any current tech -infused head would at least feel different than a single piece forged head.

6 hours ago, Mp14forlife said:

Sorry to bump this, I had somebody like a comment and I got the notification but rereading through this thread, I found this straight from Mizunos website. 

Screenshot_20240208-120109.png

Thanks for the info…I didn’t know the MP29 had the copper…only thought TN87 had them. 

that means i won’t be selling my mp29