2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Bryson's new PING irons (*** NO LIV REFERENCES/DISCUSSIONS ***)

On 3/13/2023 at 4:22 AM, TiScape said:

The face was “stabler”? 😂  U’d think a physicist would prefer ‘more stable’. I can honestly say I’ve yet to see a WITB video where the player has come off more unsure/uncomfortable. Some of the things, it actually comes off like it’s his first time seeing them! 😜 Oh, Bryson. 

Without knowing the guy i'd have to guess he fits somewhere on the autism spectrum.  That video was remarkably awkward and full of hints of some sort of personality disorder.  

• Like 3

On 2/27/2023 at 2:43 PM, animalgolfs said:

I find it amusing that everyone calls a SingleLength 28* iron an 8 iron

Stock single length Cobra Forged Tec 8 is 34 degrees (same as variable length), but that would be based on average swing speed. As soon as your swing speed gets faster, lofts have to change so that at every club progression you have the right gapping, spin, launch, descent conditions. The numbers are just for each person to know it's the next club in their progression to make it easy to grab out of the bag. 

The faster your swing speed, you have to adjust lofts so that you can take advantage of your top of the set distance potential. You could just go, SW, PW, 8i, 6i, 4i...but then you would have to have 4 more 4i bent to stronger lofts. That doesn't make any sense. Instead, you just start at the bottom and adjust clubs for your swing. 

It's just math. We know exactly what the optimal launch, spin, descent angle is for every club to have proper gapping. You can't get that with standard lofts if your swing speed is more than one standard deviation above or below normal. 

Hell, today in the LIV tournament, one of the announcers had a special driver for Dechambeau. It was a one length driver (length of 7i). He hit it 300 yards. Normal people can't do that. For normal people with normal swing speeds loft jacking has diminishing returns because they can't generate the clubhead speed to get proper launch, spin, carry.

That's the real problem with 1 length clubs. It's not the wedges. The question is, based on your swing characteristics, what's the lowest loft you can take advantage of on the top end. Based on that data point, you can figure out the proper gapping for your clubs. That is what determines what clubs need to be at the top end of the set (one length hybrid, utility iron, or at what point you have to move to variable length clubs). 

It would be awesome if Ping does decide to get into the single length market because they have more r&d capabilities than anyone. They really could find a way to take it to the next level. 

Edited by Drrussell
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Drrussell said:

Stock single length Cobra Forged Tec 8 is 34 degrees (same as variable length), but that would be based on average swing speed. As soon as your swing speed gets faster, lofts have to change so that at every club progression you have the right gapping, spin, launch, descent conditions. The numbers are just for each person to know it's the next club in their progression to make it easy to grab out of the bag. 

The faster your swing speed, you have to adjust lofts so that you can take advantage of your top of the set distance potential. You could just go, SW, PW, 8i, 6i, 4i...but then you would have to have 4 more 4i bent to stronger lofts. That doesn't make any sense. Instead, you just start at the bottom and adjust clubs for your swing. 

It's just math. We know exactly what the optimal launch, spin, descent angle is for every club to have proper gapping. You can't get that with standard lofts if your swing speed is more than one standard deviation above or below normal. 

Hell, today in the LIV tournament, one of the announcers had a special driver for Dechambeau. It was a one length driver (length of 7i). He hit it 300 yards. Normal people can't do that. For normal people with normal swing speeds loft jacking has diminishing returns because they can't generate the clubhead speed to get proper launch, spin, carry.

That's the real problem with 1 length clubs. It's not the wedges. The question is, based on your swing characteristics, what's the lowest loft you can take advantage of on the top end. Based on that data point, you can figure out the proper gapping for your clubs. That is what determines what clubs need to be at the top end of the set (one length hybrid, utility iron, or at what point you have to move to variable length clubs). 

It would be awesome if Ping does decide to get into the single length market because they have more r&d capabilities than anyone. They really could find a way to take it to the next level. 

T

Edited by animalgolfs

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

1 hour ago, Double Dodger said:

I have said it 1 million times but the number on the club means absolutely nothing. All that matters is how far the club goes. All this worry about jacked lofts really means nothing. Find a club that you like. See how far it goes and use it according to that. Not the number that is stamped on the bottom.

100% agree!

Bryson has been hitting his Ping Crossover off the tee on a few holes at the Tucson event.  Mid-flighted draw that just ripped out there.  One shot I saw yesterday had him hitting it about 295yds, and it didn't even look like he went after it that hard.  His first tee shot today had the same shot tracer shape, but I didn't catch the yardage of it, or the yardage of his second shot.  517yd hole.

Edited by subrew

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

23 minutes ago, subrew said:

Bryson has been hitting his Ping Crossover off the tee on a few holes at the Tucson event.  Mid-flighted draw that just ripped out there.  One shot I saw yesterday had him hitting it about 295yds, and it didn't even look like he went after it that hard.  His first tee shot today had the same shot tracer shape, but I didn't catch the yardage of it, or the yardage of his second shot.  517yd hole.

If you wanted more of a reaction in here you should have said it was a Ping 4 Crossover with 2.5*’s of loft bent 1* strong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

4 hours ago, subrew said:

How is he hitting his irons? He doesn't seem to be playing too well at the moment but I don't know what part(s) of his game aren't sharp.

Nothing is working for him. PING needs to drop him quickly. Why would any company take their chances on him. Let him experiment on his own and if he does start playing up to potential then maybe someone will risk sponsoring him. 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

On 3/18/2023 at 1:41 PM, subrew said:

That G410 Crossover he’s playing is an absolute rocket launcher off the tee. Not very forgiving and looks really clunky but when you find the middle of the face with that thing it really goes. 

Edited by ilikegolf26

On 3/17/2023 at 12:06 PM, Superscroll said:

Without knowing the guy i'd have to guess he fits somewhere on the autism spectrum.  That video was remarkably awkward and full of hints of some sort of personality disorder.  

I have said this for years, he definitely has autistic traits and it is becoming more apparent the more i'm learning about autism. Mannerisms, attention to detail, homing in on a specific way of doing something and giving it 110% etc... 

Edited by jaffabell
  • Like 1

**WITB**

Titleist TSR2 10*, D1, 44.5'' - Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TS2 15*, D1, 42'' - Kai'li Blue Prototype 80TX

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 18*, A1, 40.25'' - Atmos TS Blue 8X

Titleist T150 4i - AMT Tour White X100 Black Onyx

Titleist 620CB 5-PW - DGX100 120

Titleist SM9 Raw - 52F, 56F, 60D - AMT Tour White S300

Toulon San Diego (2022), 32'', Golf Pride Pro Only Cord Green Star

TP5x

12 minutes ago, jaffabell said:

I have said this for years, he definitely has autistic traits and it is becoming more apparent the more i'm learning about autism. Mannerisms, attention to detail, homing in on a specific way of doing something and giving it 110% etc... 

This has been speculated by many for years. given the wide spectrum of Autism, I agree that there seem to be some key markers that would be consistent with such a diagnosis. It's one of the things that bothers me so much about how people talk about him and treat him online. If he does, indeed, fall on the autism spectrum, what he's been able to accomplish is actually quite incredible- even if his condition were quite mild in the overall scheme of things. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, chip75 said:

They'd have to be carrying him to drop him!

PING just made him a set of irons, they're not going to turn away someone like Bryson. The OEMs and players are a pretty close-knit community for the most part, most non-staffers can drop by tour trucks and arrange for clubs to be made up. Sure, this is slightly different as it was done off-season, but I'm sure PING were happy to help after a few calls.

He made a comment last week. My bet is that once he gets playing well again, he's going to come out with his own club line. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, jaffabell said:

spacer.png

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

5 hours ago, PowderedToastMan said:

It’s pretty frustrating that when Bryson does something strange, people throw out autism. Then people are dumbfounded that people with autism mask to get through the day, which is demonstrated repeatedly to be harmful to their wellbeing. They are masking to make neurotypicals feel more comfortable (for example, heaven forbid allowing someone to wear noise cancelling headphones and avoid eye contact!). People with autism so often do things that in no way harms others, but it’s deemed weird and therefore apparently needs to change. 

Let’s stop making stigmas worse and stop throwing out diagnoses when someone like Bryson does something considered strange or weird. It doesn’t hurt Bryson, just neurodivergent people trying to exist and live their best life. And FYI, from what we see of the public Bryson, he doesn’t fit on the spectrum (important to emphasize public). The truth is that pretty much everyone has some traits of ASD but, relatively speaking, rarely warrants a diagnosis. 

As for Bryson, he’s a US Open Champion and has more money than he could ever spend. Maybe we should be asking what he’s doing right instead of levying unqualified diagnoses from afar. 

As someone who lives with an autistic child I can very much see how he has some of the traits, and my point was in support of this with Bryson in that we should be a bit more empathetic to how people act and behave and not just bash them as being weird. It's not their fault that their brain works a bit differently to others....

Anyways back on topic, Bryson and his irons yeah? Can't be working that well considering his latest performance was a dud

• Like 1

**WITB**

Titleist TSR2 10*, D1, 44.5'' - Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TS2 15*, D1, 42'' - Kai'li Blue Prototype 80TX

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 18*, A1, 40.25'' - Atmos TS Blue 8X

Titleist T150 4i - AMT Tour White X100 Black Onyx

Titleist 620CB 5-PW - DGX100 120

Titleist SM9 Raw - 52F, 56F, 60D - AMT Tour White S300

Toulon San Diego (2022), 32'', Golf Pride Pro Only Cord Green Star

TP5x

7 hours ago, PowderedToastMan said:

It’s pretty frustrating that when Bryson does something strange, people throw out autism. Then people are dumbfounded that people with autism mask to get through the day, which is demonstrated repeatedly to be harmful to their wellbeing. They are masking to make neurotypicals feel more comfortable (for example, heaven forbid allowing someone to wear noise cancelling headphones and avoid eye contact!). People with autism so often do things that in no way harms others, but it’s deemed weird and therefore apparently needs to change. 

Let’s stop making stigmas worse and stop throwing out diagnoses when someone like Bryson does something considered strange or weird. It doesn’t hurt Bryson, just neurodivergent people trying to exist and live their best life. And FYI, from what we see of the public Bryson, he doesn’t fit on the spectrum (important to emphasize public). The truth is that pretty much everyone has some traits of ASD but, relatively speaking, rarely warrants a diagnosis. 

As for Bryson, he’s a US Open Champion and has more money than he could ever spend. Maybe we should be asking what he’s doing right instead of levying unqualified diagnoses from afar. 

I don't mean to be flippant in making the observation.  My tax practice has a few autistic clients (moderately functioning) and I give a modest amount of time to a support group.  It's a subject fairly near and dear to my heart and I believe a large number of people are suffering in silence from constant social rejection having never been diagnosed and thus given the chance to work on their social skills.  

I firmly believe that 'doesn't warrant a diagnosis' part of the population deserves better.  

Edited by Superscroll
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jaffabell said:

As someone who lives with an autistic child I can very much see how he has some of the traits, and my point was in support of this with Bryson in that we should be a bit more empathetic to how people act and behave and not just bash them as being weird. It's not their fault that their brain works a bit differently to others....

Anyways back on topic, Bryson and his irons yeah? Can't be working that well considering his latest performance was a dud

1 hour ago, Superscroll said:

I don't mean to be flippant in making the observation.  My tax practice has a few autistic clients (moderately functioning) and I give a modest amount of time to a support group.  It's a subject fairly near and dear to my heart and I believe a large number of people are suffering in silence from constant social rejection having never been diagnosed and thus given the chance to work on their social skills.  

I firmly believe that 'doesn't warrant a diagnosis' part of the population deserves better.  

My mini rant wasn’t much directed at either of you, just FYI. I’ve been hearing on these forums for years about Bryson is weird “so he must be autistic”. Just tired of it. 

• Like 2

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

On 3/17/2023 at 11:14 PM, Drrussell said:

Convinced this is Brysons burner account here.

• Like 1