First full bag fitting in my life - what I ended up with (with pics)

yahtzee

9 hours ago, Jbosillo said:

What are your first impressions of the P790s? I am also currently hitting RSi2s and was looking at upgrading to the stealths, p790, t300, and t200. Just couldn’t decide if I wanted the forgiveness of the GI’s or the looks of the players distance irons. If you had to rank the forgiveness between your past clubs and your new clubs, how would you rank them?

They are at least as forgiving as the RSi2s, maybe even more forgiving. I wanted to get something that I'd enjoy having in the bag....the 6 inches between my ears plays a major role in my game so standing over a club and hating it would kill my confidence. The P790s give me confidence and forgiveness.

9 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

That is not a practice area.

That is a practice facility😍

The new setup looks great. In particular, that's a lovely looking putter.

It's a glorious place. Baffles me that they let non-members go through full fittings there. $300 for irons, wedges, woods and putter (and ball). I have more clothing from their pro shop than any store / brand anywhere in the world - it's incredible.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

That’s what baffled me, too. Do you mean 13 clubs in your previous bag setup? Because I counted 15 with the new one:
D

3W

5W

3H

4H

5i

6i

7i

8i

9i

PW

AW

55°

60°

Putter

Which club stays home?

And yes, great looking bag and surroundings! Sweet. 

I may have misspoke. I have:

D

3W

5W

4H

5H

P

A

putter

• Thanks 1

I count 15 clubs also... Driver, 2 fairways, 2 hybrids, 7 irons, 2 wedges, putter. 

Nice looking gear, enjoy it!

Edited by Mych

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I have spent a lot of time fitting people at Kinloch (ex PXG rep/fitter when it was cool😛). I prefer RTJ but both places are awesome.  Both slightly snooty, but to be expected, so what... 😅

• Like 1

Paradym TD 8° @ 9° | Paradym TD 15° | UW 19° | Honma TW747V 4-9 | Zipcore 47°/51°/55°/59° | Evnroll EV2 Armlock

over under on the first club to leave the bag??

Im guessing the three wood, thinking you should have gone with the HL.   

used work in the area occasiionaly long ago.  Think I drove by there many times, no.  went over to maps to check.  willow oaks was the one I lusted for I think.   Its the one I recall being just south of the river off the powhite

that is a great looking putter. 

Edited by 2Down
Typos

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

On 4/11/2023 at 5:07 PM, 2Down said:

over under on the first club to leave the bag??

Im guessing the three wood, thinking you should have gone with the HL.   

used work in the area occasiionaly long ago.  Think I drove by there many times, no.  went over to maps to check.  willow oaks was the one I lusted for I think.   Its the one I recall being just south of the river off the powhite

that is a great looking putter. 

Yes to Willow Oaks but it doesn't hold a candle to Kinloch (in any respect). 

I have always wanted to do that with my preferred company Titleist... unfortunately I just don't have the resources to do it all at once.  So I piece it together year by year and then stick with it for a few years.

TSR2 Driver this year replacing TS3 from 2019

TSi2 Fairway and Hybrid in 2022 replacing from 2013

T200 Irons in 2021 replacing AP 716s from 2016

54 & 58 Vokeys late this year with SM9s when price goes down or next season in 2024 with SM 10s? (currently playing SM8)

Odyssey 2-ball putter (irreplacable - 20 years)

On 4/3/2023 at 1:31 PM, eric61 said:

Great set-up and great pictures! Just curious about the wood and hybrid shafts — are those the stock TM Ventus shafts? What weight/flex are they?

On 4/3/2023 at 3:09 PM, Jetierney13 said:

Based on the colors it looks like they're the Ventus Red TR but I do not think they make that in a hybrid shaft, so maybe theyre just a new paint job on the non-velocore TM offering.  I am also curious as to what they are now!

Stock Taylormade Ventus Red TR

• Like 1

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

One year later and I could use some advice.

Here's what I've noticed in the 20 or so rounds I've played at my home course and a few other rounds on the road.

Driver - it's treated me well but I have grown to want something without color or at least without red. It's ugly.

Woods/Hybrids - I can hit my 5W so much better than my 3W. I never hit either of them off a tee, so it makes sense. This leads me to my 4H and 5H. While I am a 9.4, I have had a few rounds in the low 80's and even broke 80 my first time playing Lancaster CC in PA (home of the 2024 Women's Open I believe). I still am not a good enough ball striker that a 4H and 5H are THAT different. Considering adding a 5i to the mix and losing a hybrid. Also (and I know this is petty) but my bag seems overcrowded with woods/hybrids maybe because it is).

Irons - AW - 6i is what I've been playing and I really love the feel of the irons and they've treated me quite well. I have no desire to move away from them. 

Wedges - Gotta keep telling myself not to touch my 60-degree unless I am in a bunker or a flop greenside (both shots I regularly play quite well). My 54 deg is what I chip/pitch with unless I am a ways off the green at which point I may grab my approach wedge or PW.

Putter - I miss my 330 but can't stop looking at the Spider Tour X putter. Slightly more compact head but not a soft insert like the OG Odyssey. The Rossie is just large and I haven't fallen in love with it. That said, my putting remains the strongest part of my game, by far. It's what helps me score when I am driving the ball 230-245 off the tee or hitting a 7-iron 150 yards. Even at 6'3", I am not long.

Ball - I didn't have AVXs during a round for some reason and ended up playing a ProV1 and absolutely loved it. I think the lower spin off the tee was actually hurting me and since I have switched, I am a little longer off the tee and really love the control around the greens. I doubt I'll go back to the AVX.

So..here we are one year later. 

What would you do about my woods/hybrid situation? 

Edited by yahtzee
changed 5i to 6i
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 12:35 PM, yahtzee said:

Kinloch Golf Club in Richmond, VA and thanks! Here are some other shots of that place....Top shelf, for sure! https://www.creativedogmedia.com/Buy-Prints/Golf-Courses/Kinloch/

Nice! Have heard great things about that track. Just moved to RVA at the end of 2021 and I have been making the rounds at all the public courses in the area. If you ever want to meet up and play some time, let me know. I don't have a group of regular golfing buddies yet in the area. Nice sticks too, btw. I haven't played any TM except putter in years, but they would be on my short list to try in a fitting. 

PING G410 Max 10.5º w/ Ping Tour 65 X

PING G400 Max 14.5º w/ Mitsubishi Diamana RF 70 X

PING i25 18º w/ PWR 75 S

Srixon ZX Utility 4i w/ UST Mamiya Recoil 95 S

New Level 902 PD Forged 5-P w/ KBS Tour S

Titleist Vokey SM8 50.08 F, 54.10 S, 58.08 M w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner

Scotty Cameron Futura X7M Dual Balance

35 minutes ago, yahtzee said:

Here's what I've noticed in the 20 or so rounds I've played at my home course and a few other rounds on the road.

Driver - it's treated me well but I have grown to want something without color or at least without red. It's ugly.

Woods/Hybrids - I can hit my 5W so much better than my 3W. I never hit either of them off a tee, so it makes sense. This leads me to my 4H and 5H. While I am a 9.4, I have had a few rounds in the low 80's and even broke 80 my first time playing Lancaster CC in PA (home of the 2024 Women's Open I believe). I still am not a good enough ball striker that a 4H and 5H are THAT different. Considering adding a 5i to the mix and losing a hybrid. Also (and I know this is petty) but my bag seems overcrowded with woods/hybrids maybe because it is).

Irons - AW - 5i is what I've been playing and I really love the feel of the irons and they've treated me quite well. I have no desire to move away from them. 

Wedges - Gotta keep telling myself not to touch my 60-degree unless I am in a bunker or a flop greenside (both shots I regularly play quite well). My 54 deg is what I chip/pitch with unless I am a ways off the green at which point I may grab my approach wedge or PW.

Putter - I miss my 330 but can't stop looking at the Spider Tour X putter. Slightly more compact head but not a soft insert like the OG Odyssey. The Rossie is just large and I haven't fallen in love with it. That said, my putting remains the strongest part of my game, by far. It's what helps me score when I am driving the ball 230-245 off the tee or hitting a 7-iron 150 yards. Even at 6'3", I am not long.

Ball - I didn't have AVXs during a round for some reason and ended up playing a ProV1 and absolutely loved it. I think the lower spin off the tee was actually hurting me and since I have switched, I am a little longer off the tee and really love the control around the greens. I doubt I'll go back to the AVX.

The red is ugly, same reason I wouldn't try the TM woods. I think you'd be surprised about how many other brands' drivers are great. Test out the Titleist drivers or the new TM Qi10 drivers to see if the color doesn't bother you with that.  

Most guys with your speed would benefit more from moving to like a 4w or 5w as their longest wood and maybe swapping in a 7 wood as well. Could try hitting a 7 wood to compare to the 4h to see consistency of strike and ballflight. I am not worried so much about having a 5h and 5i because the 5h is probably 15 yards longer than the 5i. If not, get rid of the less consistent one.  

This could lead you to having only 13 clubs in your bag. The 14th club could be something like an "accuracy club" just for the tee like a short 13 degree driver, a mini driver, a 2 wood, or something set up for confidence off tight par 4s. Or a higher lofted wedge like a 64 that you would only use in certain emergency situations. Either way, practice would be of utmost importance to dial these in. 

Or, you could keep everything as is and stop tinkering. But that's no fun. 

PING G410 Max 10.5º w/ Ping Tour 65 X

PING G400 Max 14.5º w/ Mitsubishi Diamana RF 70 X

PING i25 18º w/ PWR 75 S

Srixon ZX Utility 4i w/ UST Mamiya Recoil 95 S

New Level 902 PD Forged 5-P w/ KBS Tour S

Titleist Vokey SM8 50.08 F, 54.10 S, 58.08 M w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner

Scotty Cameron Futura X7M Dual Balance

As someone with basically the same speed, I would definitely drop 3 wood and look at a 3hl or 5 wood for the longest non driver club. I can't speak on whether or not you have too many headcovers as I have had 5 or so for quite awhile and am happy with that. I personally have made some consolidations at the top of the bag. I dropped my 4 hybrid and lofted up my 5 wood to 20°, but I did this because I won the Hy-Wood.

As far as replacing the woods, maybe go back in time and pick up a sim or sim2. Otherwise if it has to be new, trying out the new Qi10.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

Try a 7 wood to replace the 4h, drop the 3w, and get a UDI 5i to replace the 5H. That will take care of some headcover clutter, and maybe give you some more options. 

Dr: Mizuno ST-G 440, Kai'Li White 70TX
3w: TSR2 15*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 70g
3i: Mizuno Fli Hi, HZRDUS Black 6.5 80g
4i: New Level NLU-01 24*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 100g
5i-7i: Takomo 301CB, TI X100 Black Onyx
8i-PW: Takomo 301MB, TI X100 Black Onyx
51*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI X100 Black Onyx

55*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI S400 Black Onyx

60*: Taylormade HI-Toe 3 Tour Grind, TI S400 Black Onyx
P: Meridian Charleston Mid Slant Custom

I have found that playing fewer clubs has reduced my score. I am playing 13 now and prefer that. I play D, 4wd, 4H, 5i - GW, 52*, 56*, and putter. This is my first time having the highest lofted club, being a 56*, but I am excited to see if I score better (I think I will). 

I would like to get it down to 12 clubs, but my new irons are strong-lofts irons so it makes it a bit more difficult for gapping. 

Anyway - good luck!

-Erik

Taylormade Stealth 2 Driver
Taylormade SIM2 3HL
Taylormade Dual Rescue TP 4H
Mizuno JPX923 HMP 5i - GW
Mizuno T24 52* & 56*
Cleveland H.B. Soft Premier 11S 

4 hours ago, yahtzee said:

Irons - AW - 5i is what I've been playing and I really love the feel of the irons and they've treated me quite well. I have no desire to move away from them. 

Dump the driver for something you don't hate to look at. Why do you say add a 5i when you say you already play one?

You’ve played slightly more than one round per club since you bought them at substantial expense. I understand the urge to change (trust me I REALLY understand) but I am not seeing anything in your most recent post except looking for rationalizations to buy some different clubs.

It sounds like you’re saying the 3wood is simply taking up space for no benefit. So leave it out of your bag or sell it or whatever. Get rid. And if there’s no meaningful gap between the 5wood and 5hybrid, then you could do the same for the 4hybrid but that may open a gap that you don’t need to open. 

So buy a new driver or buy a new putter, one of the other. Just to scratch the itch. Not because you need it, but simply because you want to see something new when you look in the bag. I know the feeling. 

Otherwise keep playing the clubs you have, because they’re working great.

Id ditch the driver - if you aren’t comfortable with the color, you never will be comfortable hitting it. Also, you aren’t the first person I’ve heard turned off by the stealth face color. 

Edited by ChrisATL

Driver: Callaway Paradym 10.5* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 Stiff

Fairways:  Callaway Paradym 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Irons:  Cobra Forged TEC 4-PW with KBS Tour Stiff

Wedges:  Callaway Jaws Raw Plasma 50, 54 & 58

Putter:  Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Why go get a full bag fitting and not try other brands.?  One brand is most likely not the best option for all clubs.  

• Taylormade Qi10 LS at 10.5° - Ventus TR Blue
  • Callaway Ai Smoke Triple D (3) 15° - Project X Denali Blue 70
  • Callaway Ai Smoke Triple D (7) 20° -  Mitsubishi Tensei Blue
  • Ping G Crossover 4 - Mitsubishi MMT
  • Srixon ZX5 MKII Black Chrome 5-W, A
  • Titleist SM10 55°F , 60°M
  • Odyssey Ai-One Milled Eight T

5 hours ago, yahtzee said:

Not really sure honestly.  I have never liked Callaway or Ping and just know TM. 

Ok, well there are Titleist, Srixon, Mizuno, etc.  To each their own, but I just feel it’s very close-minded to only look at one brand for all your clubs.  

You do you man.

• Taylormade Qi10 LS at 10.5° - Ventus TR Blue
  • Callaway Ai Smoke Triple D (3) 15° - Project X Denali Blue 70
  • Callaway Ai Smoke Triple D (7) 20° -  Mitsubishi Tensei Blue
  • Ping G Crossover 4 - Mitsubishi MMT
  • Srixon ZX5 MKII Black Chrome 5-W, A
  • Titleist SM10 55°F , 60°M
  • Odyssey Ai-One Milled Eight T