2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2024 mizuno MP iron range

Stu1987

2 hours ago, dminn23 said:

That actually makes a ton of sense given the shallow cavity.  Have you played both?  If so, what differences did you find?

The 923 Tour heel-to-toe length is approximately .25" longer than MP 64, 63, 4 etc... 

So, Mizuno has done a good job of thinning the topline of the JPX Tour line to where it is identical to the older MP designs. The only difference I notice is that the blade length is a bit longer (.25"). The longer blade length makes the club a bit more clunky to move thru the turf, but on the positive side the longer length blade causes strikes a bit towards-the-toe-from-center to lose less carry distance than a more compact blade would lose.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morry said:

Any views here appreciated

Ho Ho Ho 

ty

Just my thoughts but it seems the 923HL are performing well for you since your handicap is going down. The 225/245 is a more demanding club comparatively speaking and it could have the opposite impact on your handicap. Your strikes will need to be more precise than the HL. 

What you’ll likely notice is a reduction in spin and launch potentially making holding greens more difficult. But if the HL are too high launch and too spinny, this might work for you. 

I extensively tested the 225 because I was chasing distance coming from my MP4s & MP32s. The 225 were gorgeous, relatively forgiving, felt great, and long but I ultimately didn’t go that route because they were too low spinning.

Currently in T100 now and while it would be nice to pick up 10-15 yards per club, I just hit one club longer than I would with the 225. The ball just drops and stops. 

But don’t let me dissuade you from ho ho ho’ing. I’m sure I’ll be testing the 245 in January with the hopes the new release magically gives me an additional 1k of spin over the 225. 

• Like 2

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

3 hours ago, Morry said:

Any views here appreciated

Ho Ho Ho 

ty

I played the 225's since they were released. I'm a pretty good ball striker but appreciate the ball speed retention on mis hits. My experience with the 225's was that for me they were extremely consistent. My front to back misses were minimal and I trusted the clubs completely. On days my swing wasn't great the 225's had enough forgiveness to keep me in play. I have just recently picked up the 245's but got a little heavier lower launching shaft (px lz from px io both in 6.0). I only switched irons because I like trying new stuff (ho-ing). Switching shafts was to bring down the flight a little. I play both sets 1 degree weak. 

Titleist TSR3 Tensei 1k white
Callaway GBB Denali black 

Callaway UW Denali blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58m PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

3 hours ago, Jmccas said:

Just my thoughts but it seems the 923HL are performing well for you since your handicap is going down. The 225/245 is a more demanding club comparatively speaking and it could have the opposite impact on your handicap. Your strikes will need to be more precise than the HL. 

What you’ll likely notice is a reduction in spin and launch potentially making holding greens more difficult. But if the HL are too high launch and too spinny, this might work for you. 

I extensively tested the 225 because I was chasing distance coming from my MP4s & MP32s. The 225 were gorgeous, relatively forgiving, felt great, and long but I ultimately didn’t go that route because they were too low spinning.

Currently in T100 now and while it would be nice to pick up 10-15 yards per club, I just hit one club longer than I would with the 225. The ball just drops and stops. 

But don’t let me dissuade you from ho ho ho’ing. I’m sure I’ll be testing the 245 in January with the hopes the new release magically gives me an additional 1k of spin over the 225. 

bending 2* weak with all the tungsten should solve the launch issue for sure

the spin should be less, but I am betting not that much less 

looking for more distance and frankly a better 'feel' 

3 minutes ago, Morry said:

bending 2* weak with all the tungsten should solve the launch issue for sure

the spin should be less, but I am betting not that much less 

looking for more distance and frankly a better 'feel' 

The hot metal line of clubs, loft for loft will be longer than the 225/245.  Meaning a 31 degree 7 iron hot metal high launch will go farther to than 225/245 bent to 31 degrees.  The 225/245 will also require a more centered strike to achieve that distance.

The hotmetal line is mizuno line that provides the most foregivness and ball speed boost.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 379 said:

How has your experience been with forgiveness? I am a 6, but irons are my weakness. 

243’s are a pretty ideal set of irons. Get some pop out of the chromoly irons and pure precision on the 1025E irons. There’s plenty of forgiveness in these. My misses are thin and toe side. These work well off those misses. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

3 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

The hot metal line of clubs, loft for loft will be longer than the 225/245.  Meaning a 31 degree 7 iron hot metal high launch will go farther to than 225/245 bent to 31 degrees.  The 225/245 will also require a more centered strike to achieve that distance.

The hotmetal line is mizuno line that provides the most foregivness and ball speed boost.

VERY useful and important info

thanks Very much 

2 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

243’s are a pretty ideal set of irons. Get some pop out of the chromoly irons and pure precision on the 1025E irons. There’s plenty of forgiveness in these. My misses are thin and toe side. These work well off those misses. 

Off topic I know, but I notice you don’t have any woods or hybrids posted in your signature…

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cobra Snakebite 23 V 58 Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

5 hours ago, Lemonde said:

Off topic I know, but I notice you don’t have any woods or hybrids posted in your signature…

Right now the top of bag is empty. The past 3 seasons I have chased distance by using ultra low spin clubs driver thru hybrids which is pretty dumb for a low spin player. I tried to hit the ball harder to generate more spin which led to horrific case of the snap hooks. Didn’t help that I was dealing with a neck issue so my swing wasn’t as good as it has been. So I’m reconsidering my choices and will be looking at higher spin drivers, fairways and hybrids. I’m liking the Mizuno 230 Max, Qi10 core model and maybe Ping G430 Max (not 10K). A higher spin ball too though I feel Pro V1x is a good fit

The spin issue is also a reason why I like the 243. Coming from 921F, the weaker lofts after PW and thinner soles have cleaned up my strike and generate more spin. 5800 rpm off a mat with my Pro V1x is pretty good. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

2 weeks away for pre-orders.  Getting excited! 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 Driver - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 2H - Steelfiber FC 75 HY
Callaway Apex Pro 3H - Steelfiber FC 75 HY
Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW - Dynamic Gold 105
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60* - Dynamic Gold 105
Byron Morgan 615 - Fujikura MC Firm
Callaway Chrome Tour

21 hours ago, tigercolt77 said:

I played the 225's since they were released. I'm a pretty good ball striker but appreciate the ball speed retention on mis hits. My experience with the 225's was that for me they were extremely consistent. My front to back misses were minimal and I trusted the clubs completely. On days my swing wasn't great the 225's had enough forgiveness to keep me in play. I have just recently picked up the 245's but got a little heavier lower launching shaft (px lz from px io both in 6.0). I only switched irons because I like trying new stuff (ho-ing). Switching shafts was to bring down the flight a little. I play both sets 1 degree weak. 

How was your take on spin AND did you notice the 245 had any more spin? 

appreciated

Just now, Morry said:

How was your take on spin AND did you notice the 245 had any more spin? 

appreciated

I never had issues with low spin on the 225's with the px io shafts. I haven't had enough time with the 245's to really see yet. With my limited experience they are launching a little lower but that is probably the switch in shaft to the px lz. Spin seemed good so far but again very limited experience. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway UW Denali blue 

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

Just now, tigercolt77 said:

I never had issues with low spin on the 225's with the px io shafts. I haven't had enough time with the 245's to really see yet. With my limited experience they are launching a little lower but that is probably the switch in shaft to the px lz. Spin seemed good so far but again very limited experience. 

Appreciated.  forgot about the shaft effect - thanks 

Love to know Any differences you feel in the 45 vs the 25 

Thanks so much 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Morry said:

Appreciated.  forgot about the shaft effect - thanks 

Love to know Any differences you feel in the 45 vs the 25 

Thanks so much 

245's are a bit smaller in blade length and top line. I like the the way the head flows and the shape of the muscle behind the ball. They feel a bit more dense to me as well. I'm trying to get to a par 3 course soon to really give them a go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Callaway UW Denali blue 

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

55 minutes ago, tigercolt77 said:

245's are a bit smaller in blade length and top line. I like the the way the head flows and the shape of the muscle behind the ball. They feel a bit more dense to me as well. I'm trying to get to a par 3 course soon to really give them a go.

Thanks for the feedback 

Im waiting for the youtube guys reviews.

Only thing I've seen is some shop in the UK received heads 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

Right now the top of bag is empty. The past 3 seasons I have chased distance by using ultra low spin clubs driver thru hybrids which is pretty dumb for a low spin player. I tried to hit the ball harder to generate more spin which led to horrific case of the snap hooks. Didn’t help that I was dealing with a neck issue so my swing wasn’t as good as it has been. So I’m reconsidering my choices and will be looking at higher spin drivers, fairways and hybrids. I’m liking the Mizuno 230 Max, Qi10 core model and maybe Ping G430 Max (not 10K). A higher spin ball too though I feel Pro V1x is a good fit

The spin issue is also a reason why I like the 243. Coming from 921F, the weaker lofts after PW and thinner soles have cleaned up my strike and generate more spin. 5800 rpm off a mat with my Pro V1x is pretty good. 

Ok Thxs for the insight. Like you I keep chasing low spin heads and I’m already low spin off the top end of the bag. 

I am likely to pull the trigger on the 243’s in the new year.  I don’t love the change in lofts at the bottom end at all relative to the 223’s but other than that they look so good for what has been posted online. 

• Like 1

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

On 12/22/2023 at 9:34 AM, mretrade said:

Debating what to do with the top of the bag, as I don't think I am going to want to bag the 3 iron/4 iron. Anyone with the MP 221/241, have any good advice on how they blend the top of the bag?

I mean, there are a ton of different ways you could blend/gap here, so take this with a grain of salt, but since you asked…

I’ve really found a lot of success with a utility iron around 22-24*, rather than a 3-4 hybrid or a 7-9 wood. I play two sets of Mizunos, and use a utility in both for that “3-4 iron” spot. The modern set has a Srixon ZX Utility @ 22.5* (I do not like Mizuno’s Pro Fli-Hi as much as the ZX), and the older set has a cut muscle MP Fli-Hi (circa 2008?) @ 24*. The ZX is shafted with a graphite hybrid shaft, and the Fli-Hi has steel DG shaft. Fli-Hi pretty comfortably carries 190-200 for me (ZX is built to be longer - 210-215ish) and both clubs get run from all over the yard. Tee shots, fairway approaches/bunkers, rough, etc. They launch nice and high for me, and are pretty good at retaining ball speed on mishits, but can also be flighted comfortably. The ZX utility is probably my favorite club in the bag, and replaced a 7 wood that I loved when I hit well, but struggled to control regularly. I’m typically more comfortable with an iron than a hybrid/wood. Ymmv. 

If I were making recommendations to an MP-5 player looking for something just a tad more friendly than an MP long iron, I’d say the MP-H5 might be something to look into. But a 225/245 may also work, or any number of utility irons from other brands.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

I mean, there are a ton of different ways you could blend/gap here, so take this with a grain of salt, but since you asked…

I’ve really found a lot of success with a utility iron around 22-24*, rather than a 3-4 hybrid or a 7-9 wood. I play two sets of Mizunos, and use a utility in both for that “3-4 iron” spot. The modern set has a Srixon ZX Utility @ 22.5* (I do not like Mizuno’s Pro Fli-Hi as much as the ZX), and the older set has a cut muscle MP Fli-Hi (circa 2008?) @ 24*. The ZX is shafted with a graphite hybrid shaft, and the Fli-Hi has steel DG shaft. Fli-Hi pretty comfortably carries 190-200 for me (ZX is built to be longer - 210-215ish) and both clubs get run from all over the yard. Tee shots, fairway approaches/bunkers, rough, etc. They launch nice and high for me, and are pretty good at retaining ball speed on mishits, but can also be flighted comfortably. The ZX utility is probably my favorite club in the bag, and replaced a 7 wood that I loved when I hit well, but struggled to control regularly. I’m typically more comfortable with an iron than a hybrid/wood. Ymmv. 

If I were making recommendations to an MP-5 player looking for something just a tad more friendly than an MP long iron, I’d say the MP-H5 might be something to look into. But a 225/245 may also work, or any number of utility irons from other brands.

Mp h5 was so good!  I had a 4 & 5i matched up with some mp15’s at the time.  So easy to hit!

Driver Searching…

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

On 12/25/2023 at 8:27 AM, Jmccas said:

I watched part of that Mizuno live and Voshall made it a point to note that the 225's were too low spinning and the 245's have corrected that problem. Sounds like you're in luck.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

3 hours ago, The Mad Bomber said:

I watched part of that Mizuno live and Voshall made it a point to note that the 225's were too low spinning and the 245's have corrected that problem. Sounds like you're in luck.

Well, there goes my chances to win the BISC competition. 

Thanks for the info. If that is indeed the case, I’ll be hitting these as soon as possible. 

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

6 hours ago, The Mad Bomber said:

BRILLIANT 

so.... My Plan is back in Black !

perfect

thanks so much 

can't wait to see the testing

On 12/27/2023 at 9:58 AM, The Mad Bomber said:

Caught that too. That was my only complaint with the 225s. The 4-6 irons in that set are still the easiest long irons I've EVER hit. For some reason they just set up well for me and just went high, long, and straight. I just couldn't hold a green, even with great descent angle.

I've had my eye on 243s since I saw they were aligning the lofts with the T100-S/T150, but I really might consider the 245s in 4-6/7 irons if they've truly addressed the spin issues. Voshall said himself, he was building himself a set of 243s this time though, because they align with what he needs in terms of gapping and I tend to feel the same way. I've been tinkering with some JPX 923 Hot Metal Pros the last month or so and have enjoyed the extra distance, but I think 245/243 is going to be more my jam to really compete for the long term spot in my bag. I still really enjoy my T100-S set. I couldn't even get the T150s to knock them out, but I love what I've seen/heard from Mizuno and early adopters on this release.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Ai-Smoke TD 9° / Project X Denali Black 6.0 65g, 45.5"

TaylorMade Qi10 15° 3W, 18° 5W, & 21° 7W/ Mitsubishi Kai'li Blue 72g S

Ping Blueprint-S 5-PW / Project X IO 6.0 110g / Power Spec

Vokey SM10 Nickel 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 58.10 S / Project X IO 6.0 110g

PXG Mini Gunboat / BGT Stability Tour Black LE / 34.5"

Titleist ProV1 / Golf Pride MCC+4 Blue/Gray

32 minutes ago, over7par said:

Caught that too. That was my only complaint with the 225s. The 4-6 irons in that set are still the easiest long irons I've EVER hit. For some reason they just set up well for me and just went high, long, and straight. I just couldn't hold a green, even with great descent angle.

I've had my eye on 243s since I saw they were aligning the lofts with the T100-S/T150, but I really might consider the 245s in 4-6/7 irons if they've truly addressed the spin issues. Voshall said himself, he was building himself a set of 243s this time though, because they align with what he needs in terms of gapping and I tend to feel the same way. I've been tinkering with some JPX 923 Hot Metal Pros the last month or so and have enjoyed the extra distance, but I think 245/243 is going to be more my jam to really compete for the long term spot in my bag. I still really enjoy my T100-S set. I couldn't even get the T150s to knock them out, but I love what I've seen/heard from Mizuno and early adopters on this release.

I don't know why, but I just don't want a set of 243's. It was music to my ears when he said the spin was coming up on the 245's. I'm a pretty high spin player (7 iron is still over 7k) but the 225's were sub 5k, which is crazy to me. Something in the middle would be fantastic. Now my only worry is gapping at the bottom end of the bag. That's gonna be a tough one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, over7par said:

I have no issue holding greens with 225's.  I don't find they are low spinning at all.  Could be the ball people use.  I use a higher spinning ball though so probably helps me out.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 Driver - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 2H - Steelfiber FC 75 HY
Callaway Apex Pro 3H - Steelfiber FC 75 HY
Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW - Dynamic Gold 105
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60* - Dynamic Gold 105
Byron Morgan 615 - Fujikura MC Firm
Callaway Chrome Tour

17 minutes ago, PowerCobra98 said:

I have no issue holding greens with 225's.  I don't find they are low spinning at all.  Could be the ball people use.  I use a higher spinning ball though so probably helps me out.

ProV1 player myself. Tried ProV1x and TP5 (which is REALLY spinny for me) and I still couldn't get them to hold the way I preferred from 6i on up. I prefer ProV1 for everything else in my game and I've had no low-spin issues with anything. Even the 923 Hot Metal Pros spin a lot more for me than 225 did. I tried. I loved everything about 225. But when they don't work, they just don't work. 🤷‍♂️ I mean, even Chris Voshall admitted they could use some additional spin, which he said has been addressed in 245.

Glad they're working for you though. I just had to move on. Thankfully, there's a lot of great equipment and choices out there. Just looking forward to these. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Ai-Smoke TD 9° / Project X Denali Black 6.0 65g, 45.5"

TaylorMade Qi10 15° 3W, 18° 5W, & 21° 7W/ Mitsubishi Kai'li Blue 72g S

Ping Blueprint-S 5-PW / Project X IO 6.0 110g / Power Spec

Vokey SM10 Nickel 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 58.10 S / Project X IO 6.0 110g

PXG Mini Gunboat / BGT Stability Tour Black LE / 34.5"

Titleist ProV1 / Golf Pride MCC+4 Blue/Gray

18 minutes ago, over7par said:

ProV1 player myself. Tried ProV1x and TP5 (which is REALLY spinny for me) and I still couldn't get them to hold the way I preferred from 6i on up. I prefer ProV1 for everything else in my game and I've had no low-spin issues with anything. Even the 923 Hot Metal Pros spin a lot more for me than 225 did. I tried. I loved everything about 225. But when they don't work, they just don't work. 🤷‍♂️ I mean, even Chris Voshall admitted they could use some additional spin, which he said has been addressed in 245.

Glad they're working for you though. I just had to move on. Thankfully, there's a lot of great equipment and choices out there. Just looking forward to these. 

They're gonna need to spin. Check out these lofts. I can't believe I'm gonna order these lol

Mizuno_Pro_245.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Mad Bomber said:

They're gonna need to spin. Check out these lofts. I can't believe I'm gonna order these lol

Mizuno_Pro_245.png

Believe! 

Rife Phenom.Z 34”