2024 mizuno MP iron range

Stu1987

16 hours ago, wolverine_man said:

I have got to hit both the 243 and the 223 on the Trackman one after the other. I have hit both on separate days with the same shaft, and simply cannot tell which I prefer. Both feel like butter. Very similar numbers from the pics that I snapped. Maybe a yard more with the 243. The 223 is currently selling for half the price of the 243, but I’ve read past reviews griping about the 7 to 8 iron transition on that former model. Also need to make sure the 5 iron is very hittable. Will do a fitting tomorrow. 

I have no issues with the 7 to 8 iron transition in my 223s. I guess I didnt read enough reviews, I didnt realize that was a complaint. All 223s, my gapping is:

4 iron - 205

5 iron - 195
6 iron - 185
7 iron - 172
8 iron - 160
9 iron - 148

PW - 135

I realize there is more tech/different materials in the longer irons, but they dont feel or perform any different to me.

• Like 2

I like golf. A lot.

Just saw on the AskGolfNut Youtube channel that Mizuno hasn't been able to get any "media samples" out to the youtubers so we shouldn't expect a barrage of reviewers posting videos on embargo day this coming Monday. Makes me worry. I was already able to get my 245 order in the system and they're due to ship late January/early February...but if they can't even get samples to the Youtube guys before the embargo date, am I really gonna see my clubs before golf season up here?

For those interested:

4I-GW = $2120 CDN/$1600USD

Which is $265CDN/$200USD per club

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

Are better players / faster swing speed players not worried about the occasional flier with the 245’s? I see some lower handicap members commenting here that don’t seem worried and are thinking of playing these. I really need to hit these if so.

Also any recommendations for a combo set within this line would be helpful. I have some ideas but wondering what the masses would say 

Ping G430 Max 10.5* Alta CB Black 65 S

Titleist TSR2 15* Ventus Blue 7S

Titleist U505 20* HZRDUS Smoke RDX 6.5 80g

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM10 48.8F, 54.10S, 58.8M S300

Scotty Cameron Newport 2+

Titleist ProV1x

On 1/2/2024 at 5:42 PM, iNeedMoreGolf said:

Maybe a dumb question but... t200 or 245.. already bought the titliest bag though. Just waiting to be fed the right driver and irons.. was thinking t200 but that wedge of the 245 🔥

I asked the same thing and crickets.  Odd that no one has compared the two.  

T200s must beat the Mizunos if no one wants to talk about it on the Mizuno irons thread, lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GHIN n Juice said:

T200s must beat the Mizunos if no one wants to talk about it on the Mizuno irons thread, lol.

I think it's just too early for comparisons period. T-200's notoriously don't feel amazing, even if they do perform. Michael Newton compared the T-200 and the 225's and said he preferred the 225 by a wide margin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GHIN n Juice said:

Im thinking the t200 are a really strong competitor. Im guess the feel is just a bit different. The mizuno probably feel a tad more forged vs titliest feeling more bouncy off the face but i have enough forged irons. I miss that bouncy feeling off irons tbh sometimes from playing shovels back in the day. I want a players distance iron with that more lively feel and i think the t200 are it. I happen to like that feeling of a cast iron. I also like forged but just saying i miss the fast cast rebound feel sometimes.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OFore said:

Are better players / faster swing speed players not worried about the occasional flier with the 245’s? I see some lower handicap members commenting here that don’t seem worried and are thinking of playing these. I really need to hit these if so.

Also any recommendations for a combo set within this line would be helpful. I have some ideas but wondering what the masses would say 

There just isn't enough real-world data to get worked up about yet. Mizuno says the spin has come up on the 245, and spin is the enemy of the flier. It's hard to judge from hitting bay numbers because you simply aren't going to get a jumper from a hitting mat. My set is due first week of February, but I won't be able to hit them outside until April. I'm admittedly very high on the speed spectrum and yeah, I'm a bit worried. But what the hell, you gotta live a little.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fourpar18 said:

I just picked up a set of Japan Yoro MP-55 irons and they were the best MP series to date.  The MP-5 is a close second if you are a blade user!  

IMG_5619.png

I picked up a set of 55s when they came out and, yeah, an awesome set of irons!!!  Wish Mizuno went that route over the 243/ 223 with the plastic cap over the cavity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomBomb51 said:

I have no issues with the 7 to 8 iron transition in my 223s. I guess I didnt read enough reviews, I didnt realize that was a complaint. All 223s, my gapping is:

4 iron - 205

5 iron - 195
6 iron - 185
7 iron - 172
8 iron - 160
9 iron - 148

PW - 135

I realize there is more tech/different materials in the longer irons, but they dont feel or perform any different to me.

Thanks, and good to know. I am having new difficulties getting spin with my 225's and the 223, amongst other heads, certainly delivers the spin I'm after. I tried the 245 but didn't care for it. I'd reshaft my 225's before going that route. Going to a second fitting tonight to pick a clear winner amongst '23 King Tour, 223/243, 923 Forged. Shafts that seemed to produce the best results have been Modus 115s, C-Taper Lite 110, and Dynamic Gold 105. First fitting, the King Tour was the tightest dispersion.  I did not try the 243 at that time. Hoping to get this nailed down. 

Rogue ST Max 9* (IZ-6 SR)

TSi2 @ 16.5* (Ventus Red 6R, -2g)

TSi2 @ 21* (Motore X F3 7S, -2g, tip'd .5")

818 H1 @ 24* (Diamana S+ 82S, tip'd 1.5")

Pro 223 5-GW (Modus3 115 - S) 

RTX6 54/10, RTX6 59/7 (Modus 115 Wedge - S, 1* flat) 

Queen B6- '24 BX

4 minutes ago, The Mad Bomber said:

I think it's just too early for comparisons period. T-200's notoriously don't feel amazing, even if they do perform. Michael Newton compared the T-200 and the 225's and said he preferred the 225 by a wide margin.

I was gonna say the same thing 

Michael Newton loved the 225's, I'm thinking the 245's will be "all-timers"

• Like 3

Just now, GHIN n Juice said:

I picked up a set of 55s when they came out and, yeah, an awesome set of irons!!!  Wish Mizuno went that route over the 243/ 223 with the plastic cap over the cavity.

Yea, kind of looks like it!  Thanks for commenting!  This is my second set as I got a set when I was stationed in Japan.

2 hours ago, TomBomb51 said:

4 iron - 205

5 iron - 195
6 iron - 185
7 iron - 172
8 iron - 160
9 iron - 148

PW - 135

Same. My carry yardages are basically identical to yours and I have not once noticed this huge gap between my 7-8 that people talk about on here. I will say I did strengthen my PW to 45* but thats about it.

D - TSR3 | Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W - Stealth+ | Ventus Blue 7X

5W - TSR2 | AD DI 8X

4H - TSR2 | AD DI 9X

5-PW - MP-223 | PX LZ 6.5

50/55/60 - MG4 | DG TI S400

P - Studio Stainless NP2 350g

B - ProV1x

B - Linksmaster

I probably should not be playing the Pro 245s but I am half considering a combo set with the JPX 923 Tours so I cannot wait to test the 245s, I have always played shallow cavity backs but wouldn't mind extra forgiveness while the only players distance iron that I have hit was the 2021 T200 and I wasn't overly impressed so hopefully the 245s are at another level, I would maybe go for 4-7 in the 245s and 7-PW in the 923 Tours but we'll see.

2 hours ago, The Mad Bomber said:

Just saw on the AskGolfNut Youtube channel that Mizuno hasn't been able to get any "media samples" out to the youtubers so we shouldn't expect a barrage of reviewers posting videos on embargo day this coming Monday. Makes me worry. I was already able to get my 245 order in the system and they're due to ship late January/early February...but if they can't even get samples to the Youtube guys before the embargo date, am I really gonna see my clubs before golf season up here?

For those interested:

4I-GW = $2120 CDN/$1600USD

Which is $265CDN/$200USD per club

Seems strange as the entire lineup has been on sale in Asia for a few months already. 

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

Just now, BCC1898 said:

I'm late to the party...why have these been so delayed?  Weren't they introduced in like August?

The split launch is pretty asinine. I'm guessing it may have something to do with alleviating the shipping delays they experienced with the 22x roll out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thigos said:

Great info in your posts.  Will you elaborate on what/why you prefer the 223 to the 243?

I like the look and feel of the 223 better. Thought it was gorgeous in the bag and it had a soft yet very connected and powerful feel. 243 is great but very muted. 243 spun slightly more for me if that is something you’re after. Overall just think money considered I’d go 223 all day. Both awesome clubs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tree Levino said:

I like the look and feel of the 223 better. Thought it was gorgeous in the bag and it had a soft yet very connected and powerful feel. 243 is great but very muted. 243 spun slightly more for me if that is something you’re after. Overall just think money considered I’d go 223 all day. Both awesome clubs. 

This joker is trying every angle to convince himself he doesn’t need to keep a new set of clubs. 

You need the 243’s. Just do it. 

On 1/3/2024 at 6:09 PM, wolverine_man said:

I have got to hit both the 243 and the 223 on the Trackman one after the other. I have hit both on separate days with the same shaft, and simply cannot tell which I prefer. Both feel like butter. Very similar numbers from the pics that I snapped. Maybe a yard more with the 243. The 223 is currently selling for half the price of the 243, but I’ve read past reviews griping about the 7 to 8 iron transition on that former model. Also need to make sure the 5 iron is very hittable. Will do a fitting tomorrow. 

At half the price the 223s are a no-brainer. Some of the best irons ever made. Can be played by a wide range of players. Long, soft, and plenty of spin. Spun my 5 iron back a foot on a 205 yard carry today.

8 hours ago, TomBomb51 said:

4 iron - 205

5 iron - 195
6 iron - 185
7 iron - 172
8 iron - 160
9 iron - 148

PW - 135

Im a little longer and have never had gapping issues. The long irons are so easy to hit.

8 hours ago, Whatnogarnish said:

I really enjoy the long irons on my 923Ts don’t really get along with the 7-P like I did with the mp5. 

Might go short irons with the 241s, trying to understand how much they shrunk them compared to the 221s. Hopefully I can see some this weekend. 

Agreed. Love the 4-6 in the 923T short irons were very spinny and didn’t like the way the offset was blended. There isn’t a huge diff 221 vs 241 both look nice. For me at least the MP20 v 221 v 241 is all a wash just depends on what you like the look of and the price you get them for. 

9 hours ago, AtlantaGolf3 said:

This joker is trying every angle to convince himself he doesn’t need to keep a new set of clubs. 

You need the 243’s. Just do it. 

I genuinely prefer my MMC (again, familiarity and a lot of wins) and the 223 (like the hot long irons) to it. It’s a great iron but as above I think the real difference in this range comes in the 245. For me at least, the 243 is an awesome club but not a marked upgrade over the previous two gens depending on what you’re after. Some may like the closer gapping, some may prefer the feel of the MMC, some may prefer the wider gapping and lower spin on 223 - it’s all preference. The 241 is a great blade and I think there is a segment of guys that buy a new set of mizuno blades every 2-4 years. They likely don’t get fit and just buy a new OTR set once their irons get worn. Just love a set of mizzy blades which is fair. 

if you want the genuine upgrade - it is 100% the 245 in my opinion. As above, it almost presents like a 223 but it’s powerful, beautiful, and has a feel that is completely unique to it and it is addictive. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FmaxTurboSi said:

hit the 245 at my local shop today.  the top line is def thinner.  I set it down next to the 225 and 223. at address it almost looks like a 223.  very impressed. 

What iron did you compare?

It's actually interesting, my friend and I both got fitted 2 years ago, I got the 223 and he got the 225. We put our 9 irons next to each other and the 225 top line was noticeably thinner. I looked it up and it was true. The 223 top line is the same width throughout the whole bag while the 225 is progressive.

image.png.22a2d6e073d6149a8dd1320154342c89.png

I cant find spec of the new 24x line but everywhere just says they are more compact and thinner toplines.

Edited by TomBomb51

I like golf. A lot.

10 hours ago, Whatnogarnish said:

I really enjoy the long irons on my 923Ts don’t really get along with the 7-P like I did with the mp5. 

Might go short irons with the 241s, trying to understand how much they shrunk them compared to the 221s. Hopefully I can see some this weekend. 

Right there with you and am doing the same thing 7-P. 

11 hours ago, Whatnogarnish said:

They actually look bigger to me. (241>221)