2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Can a 4 handicap beat Rose Zhang

Yuck

On 5/23/2023 at 5:44 PM, Yuck said:

Ok, done to death already, but Rose is an AM, and we have plenty of delusional WRX’rs.    Over 72 holes, can a 4 capper take Rose down?  Rose has lost 8 of her 20 college tournaments, so she does “lose” 40% of the time, and she is just a teenager….

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Not even on the 4 capper's best day.

Just to hopefully put this silly argument to rest forever.......

Average 5 cap stats compared to Rosie's stats from this season (not exact comparison, but you get the picture).  Pay close attention to the parts of her stats that I highlighted, particularly 24 out of 27 rounds at par or better.  A 5 cap shoots even par once every 3 years.  

image.png.bbaaff6f31ad945d06978b7666db42c9.png

image.png.6f9d7169d55e73d7d5c7385320aab2d8.png

• Like 3

5 hours ago, OnTheBag said:

Just to hopefully put this silly argument to rest forever.......

Average 5 cap stats compared to Rosie's stats from this season (not exact comparison, but you get the picture).  Pay close attention to the parts of her stats that I highlighted, particularly 24 out of 27 rounds at par or better.  A 5 cap shoots even par once every 3 years.  

image.png.bbaaff6f31ad945d06978b7666db42c9.png

Well, looks like next time such a silly question pops up, this should end the discussion immediately 😂

• Haha 1

What tees are they playing from/both from the same tees?

How long is the course?

Hope springs eternal.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

So, Rose practiced an often played where I play.  She routinely teed it up with the boys (many are quite good juniors, and some notable female players - scratch/college)  and playing the tips:Tom Fazio course - 6,850 yards, par 71, rating 72.5 routinely beat everyone.  One of the guys there told me he can't remember the last time she did not shoot par or better.  Over four rounds, no way does she lose to a four.  She is too consistent and too good.

Edited by ebk
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, ebk said:

So, Rose practiced an often played where I play.  She routinely teed it up with the boys (many are quite good juniors, and some notable female players - scratch/college)  and playing the tips:Tom Fazio course - 6,850 yards, par 71, rating 72.5 routinely beat everyone.  One of the guys there told me he can't remember the last time she did not shoot par or better.  Over four rounds, no way does she lose to a four.  She is too consistent and too good.

Curious what you think about her LPGA prospects now that she is turning pro. Does she have enough birdies in her to light up the Lyds, JYK, DK, Grant, etc.

13 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

What tees are they playing from/both from the same tees?

How long is the course?

Hope springs eternal.

Yeah basically youd need a bomber of a 4 cap and a course that shes cant keep up on due to the distance, shes a short hitter, she was being talked up when her drives finished 260 yards after run out. Push it back to something like 7.8k yards so youd need to go to what Erin Hills, Chambers Bay, Kiawah Island, or some stupid course that has a load of awkward long forced carries. Even then I dont think shes unfavored, sure she would be required to hit drivers on par 3s and a long hitter likely picks up a part of a stroke off the tee, and on approach  but once on the green and chipping. Dunno if you can brute the yardage to overcome that, even then the distance still is difficult for the longer hitter they would be required to limit errors to take advantage.

Youd have to find so many ways to claw strokes back from her with minimal impact against the 4 cap that I dont think its possible.  Its also one round out of four...

Maybe one of the golf youtubers can set something up. id give it a watch. 

Edited by Tasals
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tasals said:

Yeah basically youd need a bomber of a 4 cap and a course that shes cant keep up on due to the distance, shes a short hitter, she was being talked up when her drives finished 260 yards after run out. Push it back to something like 7.8k yards so youd need to go to what Erin Hills, Chambers Bay, Kiawah Island, or some stupid course that has a load of awkward long forced carries. Even then I dont think shes unfavored, sure she would be required to hit drivers on par 3s and a long hitter likely picks up a part of a stroke off the tee, and on approach  but once on the green and chipping. Dunno if you can brute the yardage to overcome that, even then the distance still is difficult for the longer hitter they would be required to limit errors to take advantage.

Youd have to find so many ways to claw strokes back from her with minimal impact against the 4 cap that I dont think its possible.  Its also one round out of four...

Maybe one of the golf youtubers can set something up. id give it a watch. 

image.jpeg.332c7a3e31e4fe27e9b50e6d89335b2f.jpeg

• Haha 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

3 hours ago, jt2gt said:

Curious what you think about her LPGA prospects now that she is turning pro. Does she have enough birdies in her to light up the Lyds, JYK, DK, Grant, etc.

Hard to tell. If she plays like she did in the individual championship, then she'll do fine. Play like she did in the team semi finals, and she's going to miss a lot of cuts. 

Plenty of high ranked amateur college players struggle(d) on tour. There's a reason the top amateurs skip college and head directly into the college ranks. 

Her decision to turn pro before finishing her degree is a bit of a head scratcher. Why go the college route if there's no plan to get the degree? Maybe she reassessed her potential after racking up the wins and decided there was nothing more to accomplish (golfwise) at Stanford. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

4 handicapper can keep on dreaming. No chance!

However I do think some 4 handicapper can beat a 5 handicap player.

• Like 1

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Max 7 wood

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey Ai-One #7 Broomstick 46"

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Hard to tell. If she plays like she did in the individual championship, then she'll do fine. Play like she did in the team semi finals, and she's going to miss a lot of cuts. 

Plenty of high ranked amateur college players struggle(d) on tour. There's a reason the top amateurs skip college and head directly into the college ranks. 

Her decision to turn pro before finishing her degree is a bit of a head scratcher. Why go the college route if there's no plan to get the degree? Maybe she reassessed her potential after racking up the wins and decided there was nothing more to accomplish (golfwise) at Stanford. 

All makes sense.

I heard the commentators say that Alison Lee is still studying whilst playing pro, so is Lucy Li, so maybe Rose will complete her degree part time?

28 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

All makes sense.

I heard the commentators say that Alison Lee is still studying whilst playing pro, so is Lucy Li, so maybe Rose will complete her degree part time?

I saw that Rose is going to stay on as a coach at Stanford, so I assume she'll play a limited professional schedule while finishing her degree. 

She has no status on the LPGA, so after playing a few events on exemptions, she'll have to head to Q Series in the fall. If she gets her card, she'll still be low on the priority list and have limited opportunities. 

Of course if she wins at one of her exempted events it changes everything. 

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

29 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I saw that Rose is going to stay on as a coach at Stanford, so I assume she'll play a limited professional schedule while finishing her degree. 

She has no status on the LPGA, so after playing a few events on exemptions, she'll have to head to Q Series in the fall. If she gets her card, she'll still be low on the priority list and have limited opportunities. 

Of course if she wins at one of her exempted events it changes everything. 

I wish her all the best.  She is an amazing young woman and an outstanding golfer.  Unfortunately, if I ever wrote a biography, it would be full of stories of ladies like her that never made it.  I sincerely hope things work out differently for her.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OnTheBag said:

I wish her all the best.  She is an amazing young woman and an outstanding golfer.  Unfortunately, if I ever wrote a biography, it would be full of stories of ladies like her that never made it.  I sincerely hope things work out differently for her.

You of all people should know the way the LPGA can eat a top ranked amateur up. Just because you turn pro, doesn't mean your ready for LPGA. Think back on Lilia Vu, Pauline Roussin-Bouchard, Maria Fassi, Kristen Gillman. Rose's finishes at her limited LPGA events are less than impressive considering players like Lydia, Lexi and Brooke were actually competing and winning at 15 or 16. She'll win at some point, she could easily become a steady top 20.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1