Fujikura Member Trip and VeloCore Fitting Experience Live at Fujikura HQ! Follow Along Here!

1 hour ago, mizuno player said:

I've read a couple times this shaft seems to launch higher and spin more than what you guys currently have? 

Not sure if this was asked or answered. 

How does the Fuji Pro iron compare to this in terms of launch and spin? 

Yes, this is right — I definitely saw more launch and spin. Because I was comparing my i230s to a T100 and a P790, which were the heads they had available, it’s not a direct comparison, but it was without question true for me. Most surprising to me was how high the 125s launched.

I can’t compare the Pros because I’ve never hit them, but maybe @knudson81 could weigh in on that question since I know he has a set?

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

55 minutes ago, TiScape said:

X flex at those speeds… I’m a little surprised. Super fast/aggressive tempo??

No, quite the opposite. See my post on that here:

In short, I was not hitting the center of the face this week, despite the head speed. No fitting could have helped that part. The profile and spin changes were enough to go on, relative to the other flexes and profiles. Andrew was watching my transition and where I picked up speed, and the 6X was it. We played together today and I was able to pipe a couple and he’s sticking to the decision. I’ll report back once the rust is off. 

• Like 3

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

On 5/31/2023 at 10:10 AM, golfinbrad said:

What is the RACK used for?

Breaking shafts. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

On 6/1/2023 at 1:14 AM, SwingBlues said:

👍 GR8 writeup, thank you

ENSO fitting > regular fitting? Is this what you are seeing here then?

They mostly use ENSO for research, however it can be used for fitting. However, because it’s measurement are so precise in increments of tenths of inches it’s really overkill and the data would really get skewed unless it was an elite level player that is EXTREMELY consistent and repetitive. That being said, they have so much data from ENSO that they know what *****ed, weight, and flex is going to fit the player. And frankly, most of time it’s not the one people think it is. What I learned from talking with the fitters and designers is that butt stiffness is the most important factor in how a shaft works for a player. The fitter there, Andrew is REALLY good and within a few swings of watching and seeing data pretty much knows what profile is going to work. From the it’s just fine tuning between standard Ventus or TR. I’ll say it again, but do not guess what shaft will work you. The Ventus line and Velocore is so good that a player could use any profile, but when you get the right one, it makes a huge difference. 

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

3 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

They mostly use ENSO for research, however it can be used for fitting. However, because it’s measurement are so precise in increments of tenths of inches it’s really overkill and the data would really get skewed unless it was an elite level player that is EXTREMELY consistent and repetitive. That being said, they have so much data from ENSO that they know what *****ed, weight, and flex is going to fit the player. And frankly, most of time it’s not the one people think it is. What I learned from talking with the fitters and designers is that butt stiffness is the most important factor in how a shaft works for a player. The fitter there, Andrew is REALLY good and within a few swings of watching and seeing data pretty much knows what profile is going to work. From the it’s just fine tuning between standard Ventus or TR. I’ll say it again, but do not guess what shaft will work you. The Ventus line and Velocore is so good that a player could use any profile, but when you get the right one, it makes a huge difference. 

We hear so much about ENSO, its great to get some details. Yeah, looks so extremely accurate and it would be a huge BUZZ to see this in real life. Did they show the actual use of ENSO to you guys?

It so true - to be fitted by the OEM shaft manufacturer especially when these fitter guys know their shafts SO WELL, its a totally different experience and expertise you can't buy from say CC or GolfTec etc.

Thanks for your insight, much appreciated 👍

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

On 6/1/2023 at 7:14 AM, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Man...What a great write up.  Thanks, I was particularly interested as mentioned before we seem to be very close in swing profile.   I have a Red TR in 5R and thought it would be perfect fo me, and I stayed away from the Blue.  Now you have me re thinking that.   But one thing this trip reinforces to all of us  #FittingMatters    As WRX'ers we so often think we can fit our selves well enough.   That is often rarely the case. 

I thought the same thing going in. What I found out is that the butt profile is VERY important to how a shaft works for the player. How a player loads a shaft REGARDLESS of swingspeed is what matters. I had always tended to focus more on tip stiffness and that does not have as great an effect on performance as butt stiffness does. I was in the golf business for 30 years and thought I had an extensive knowledge, but I learned so many things in two days at Fujikura. Here’s a bit for you. What happens to ball flight if the torque of a shaft is too low???  The ball goes LEFT!! Exactly opposite of what I thought. So informative and once again proves that trying different profiles and not going into fittings without an open mind is a mistake. I would never thought I would not only be in the blue profile, but also be in the TR which is slightly even more stiff. Then to be in the R2 Axiom, which feels even more stable and more stiff than my MMT R flex BUT, I launch them higher, increased my spin, increased my decent angle while at the same time tightened my shot pattern and lost no distance. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

We hear so much about ENSO, its great to get some details. Yeah, looks so extremely accurate and it would be a huge BUZZ to see this in real life. Did they show the actual use of ENSO to you guys?

It so true - to be fitted by the OEM shaft manufacturer especially when these fitter guys know their shafts SO WELL, its a totally different experience and expertise you can't buy from say CC or GolfTec etc.

Yeah, they had a whole session showing us how it works and how it measures. I think @Puppetmasterposted some pics of it. It’s a 10 high speed camera system that works in 3 dimensions. The club has head sensors and shaft sensors so it can be measured in real times at I believe over 20 different locations on the head and shaft. There are only 3 systems like it in the world and Fujikura has 2 of them. 

24 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

What I learned from talking with the fitters and designers is that butt stiffness is the most important factor in how a shaft works for a player. The fitter there, Andrew is REALLY good and within a few swings of watching and seeing data pretty much knows what profile is going to work. 

Andrew is the man. He talked through so much fitting-related stuff with me that had nothing to do with the shafts -- I'm making some adjustments in lie angles and swing weights with my clubs before the Axioms even get here. 

One thing that really struck me -- and I think just goes to show how skilled he is and why he's in the position he's in -- was the way he talked about how different shafts, tweaks, profiles, etc., worked or didn't work for us based on what he was seeing in our swings. Obviously he had the data to work with. I mean, with ENSO, Fujikura has as much data to back up their understanding of what works and what doesn't as any company in the world. But Andrew has the art portion of it nailed along with the science. There were conversations where he'd say "it looks like you're doing X, Y, Z," and would diagnose something before I could even describe what I'd felt. Or specific questions he'd ask about what we felt, where we felt it, and adjustments he'd make based on that. Those observations were how he figured out that X-flex Axioms (and later TR Blue when we were talking on the course and he was watching my drives) would fix a challenge I was having with S-flex, even though at my swing speed fitters would almost always put me in stiff. I guess it's why he's out there working with the best players in the world, and why I feel so lucky that a hack like me got to pick his brain for a couple days!

And agree with @hammergolf -- the point Andrew made about how shafts that are too soft for somebody can actually leave the face open vs. shafts that are too stout can lead to pulls and over-draws was one that surprised me, and was the opposite of what I think many of us would've expected. 

By the way, folks -- @hammergolf can really hit a 3 wood! He was super, super accurate with that thing all day. It was so impressive to watch!

Edited by eric61
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

Yeah, they had a whole session showing us how it works and how it measures. I think @Puppetmasterposted some pics of it. It’s a 10 high speed camera system that works in 3 dimensions. The club has head sensors and shaft sensors so it can be measured in real times at I believe over 20 different locations on the head and shaft. There are only 3 systems like it in the world and Fujikura has 2 of them. 

• Like 1

I hope these video files work — I got a couple clips that show Andres priming and painting a shaft. 

The ones that are really hard work are the special edition Folds of Honor shafts. It takes lots and lots of passes to get those graphics right, but Andres nails them.

• Like 1

Ok guys, it was a long trip back but soooo worth it. Got in around 3:00am, but wanted to give you guys a report for our outdoor testing and on course review of the Ventus and Axiom shafts. We went to Shadowridge GC yesterday morning for some driving range time and on course testing. The course was in really great condition since they are having their member/member this weekend. Really fun hilly golf course with some tough undulated poa greens. (Well, I didn’t make a thing all day so maybe they were just tough for me… ) Thank god I went to Evnroll for a fitting after and they got me fixed up, but more on that in a different post. So we were all able to hit the shafts we were fitted in on the range and course. I’ll start with Axiom. My god are these good. We were hitting into the wind on the range so it was a really good test for the shafts. First thing I noticed is seeing a different peak height, and tighter pattern. I hit it side by side with my gamer (PXG Gen3XP MMT 70 R) I really liked my gamers before I hit Axiom. It’s just on a different level. Because of the advantage of using Velocore, Fujikura can make a shaft do something that all others I’ve had can’t. The Axiom is so stable yet helps me to launch the ball much higher, (my indoor testing showed almost 4* more launch) with more spin (indoor test showed me almost 900rpms more) and a much higher decent angle (indoor test showed almost 5* increase of decent). Well I saw all that with my own eyes outside yesterday. However, here’s what crazy. I hit the Axiom side by side with my gamer. I was able to hit the Axiom higher, spin it more, and land it softer but it carried the same distance as my gamer. That was great, but here’s what I’m still scratching my head about. It was an even tighter dispersion pattern… Side by side, the Axiom is much more stable and to me feels stiffer than the MMT. I just don’t understand how something can feel more stable and stout, but deliver more launch, more spin, and not lose any distance. That’s what Fujikura call Velocore. And it wasn’t just me, I saw @Puppetmaster, @CactusGolf, and @eric61 all hitting great shots with Axiom. Another thing that amazed me was how four guys with 4 different swings and four different clubhead speeds can have the same great results. I think that’s a testament to how Fujikura has designed 3 different weight and profiles to fit anyone. For golf I was paired with our fitter Andrew (aka The Ultimate Driving Machine with his G430 LST) @Puppetmaster, and @eric61. They all felt the same about the Axiom. On the back 9 @eric61 even hit a couple shots with the 105 and 125 profiles. Both shots were really good, but the one that stuck in my mind is the shot he hit with the P790 demo with the 105 in it. We all know how low spinning that head is, but he hits this mid trajectory shot right on line with the flag. It hits about 15ft short of the pin on a downslope and still had the spin to stop pin high about 8ft away. Which he calmly rolled in for birdie I add. I don’t know how they’ve done it, but these shafts just let you play more aggressive shots with your irons because they’ve figured out how to make a shaft work better in these newer design irons. You can hit ANY shot you want with these, High/low/fade/draw. The one thing I haven’t mentioned is feel. They have a great feel that is not mushy, but just the right amount of feedback, yet no unpleasant shock or vibration. In summary, Fujikura just flat out nailed it. If you’re thinking about switching, or have hand, wrist, shoulder pain, these are an absolute no brainer. Hands down the best performing shaft I’ve ever hit. Can’t wait to get them built and in the bag!!

• Like 3

Ok, now for the Ventus story. I put the Ventus Blue TR in my driver. It was a bit shorter than mine, but man is this thing good. Definitely longer than my current gamer. What was really good is that for me, the ball just doesn’t curve. I had to adjust because I’m used to hitting a little draw. But once I made that adjustment and swung more aggressively it really clicked. I normally drive it pretty straight, but have lost all my distance after the shoulder injury. But I drove it great all day. I think I missed 4 fwys all day (2 were less than 4yds in the rough) and really can’t wait to get mine made. I was even able to hit a little cut which has previously been a tough shot to hit. As far as the results, I was able to launch it in my normal window, keep the flight and peak the same, hit it about 10-15yds further, but without much curvature at all. I spoke with Andrew and he actually recommended me to go with a 46” build since my dispersion is already so tight and I might pick up another 5 - 10 yds. One thing is certain the Ventus shafts are so stable, but have a lively kick to them when you’re fit into the correct profile. The feel is a unique one for me, in the past when I have shafts that I can feel kick tend to be a little harder to control since it was torqueing also, but that’s not the case with Ventus. I can feel it kicking, but at the same time it just doesn’t torque. Once again, thanks to Velocore, Fujikura made a product that is remarkably stable and consistent without a boardy, dull feel. It’s easy to see why the best players in the world play these shafts. I highly recommend getting fit for Ventus wood shafts. I saw it for myself and with the other guys that each of them had substantial improvements in accuracy, consistency, and distance.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, eric61 said:

Yes, this is right — I definitely saw more launch and spin. Because I was comparing my i230s to a T100 and a P790, which were the heads they had available, it’s not a direct comparison, but it was without question true for me. Most surprising to me was how high the 125s launched.

I can’t compare the Pros because I’ve never hit them, but maybe @knudson81 could weigh in on that question since I know he has a set?

Thanks. I'm not interested in switching but I may get kicked off the site of I don't sound interested!!!! It's interesting nothing in between 105 and 125 weight. 

Super jealous of the trip. I. Sure it was a blast. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mizuno player said:

Thanks. I'm not interested in switching but I may get kicked off the site of I don't sound interested!!!! It's interesting nothing in between 105 and 125 weight. 

Super jealous of the trip. I. Sure it was a blast. 

Yeah, they said if there’s a market for more weights, they aren’t necessarily ruling anything out for the future — but they also feel like they have something that can fit pretty much everybody at the 75, 105 and 125 weights and are trying to keep things reasonable for fitters who wouldn’t really want a whole entire wall of Axiom options. 

I do think their position is reasonable. Like I mentioned before, I was really surprised by how stable the 75S was and how manageable the 125X was. I’m certainly not saying they felt the same by any means … but they were closer in terms of feel than you’d probably expect!

• Like 2

On 5/31/2023 at 6:33 PM, Fujikura Golf said:

OG Motore was good...but can't compete with VeloCore in VENTUS

That’s like comparing a ‘07 Vette to a 2023 Vette. The old Vette was super high performance in its prime, but it doesn’t compare to the 2023 Vette performance wise. Same story with pre Velocore and post Velocore.

On 6/1/2023 at 4:41 AM, GolfTurkey said:

That's good to hear, I need graphite because of my elbows but went back to steel because the funky SW of the SF's gave me a massive case of the hooks.

I played SF for 6 years, and they were good. However, the Axiom shafts are a whole different level. 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 9:00 AM, bruinmw said:

Looking forward to reading the reports, especially about the axiom shafts.  Would also be interested to see launch and spin differences between the Ventus TR shafts, all in the same head to really get a sense of the differences between the shafts, numbers wise.  Have fun!

I can’t speak for the black, but for me the launch between the Red TR and Blue TR was definitely different than what I expected. I actually hit the TR Red slightly lower than the TR Blue. What I learned from the trip is that people put too much into the tip or “launch” characteristics. The butt stiffness has the bigger effect on how a shaft performs for a player. The profiles of shafts are so player dependent. For example, I was the lowest peak height/speed guy in the bunch. @Puppetmasterhas more speed than myself and hits it way higher. I fit into Blue TR, and he fit into Red TR. The only recommendation I can give you is to hit them yourself. It will immediately make you aware of what shaft profile is for you. 

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, eric61 said:

Andrew is the man. He talked through so much fitting-related stuff with me that had nothing to do with the shafts -- I'm making some adjustments in lie angles and swing weights with my clubs before the Axioms even get here. 

One thing that really struck me -- and I think just goes to show how skilled he is and why he's in the position he's in -- was the way he talked about how different shafts, tweaks, profiles, etc., worked or didn't work for us based on what he was seeing in our swings. Obviously he had the data to work with. I mean, with ENSO, Fujikura has as much data to back up their understanding of what works and what doesn't as any company in the world. But Andrew has the art portion of it nailed along with the science. There were conversations where he'd say "it looks like you're doing X, Y, Z," and would diagnose something before I could even describe what I'd felt. Or specific questions he'd ask about what we felt, where we felt it, and adjustments he'd make based on that. Those observations were how he figured out that X-flex Axioms (and later TR Blue when we were talking on the course and he was watching my drives) would fix a challenge I was having with S-flex, even though at my swing speed fitters would almost always put me in stiff. I guess it's why he's out there working with the best players in the world, and why I feel so lucky that a hack like me got to pick his brain for a couple days!

And agree with @hammergolf -- the point Andrew made about how shafts that are too soft for somebody can actually leave the face open vs. shafts that are too stout can lead to pulls and over-draws was one that surprised me, and was the opposite of what I think many of us would've expected. 

By the way, folks -- @hammergolf can really hit a 3 wood! He was super, super accurate with that thing all day. It was so impressive to watch!

Thanks! Bad news is I have to hit it too often… lol 

Here’s a couple videos comparing the Axiom shafts to steel for those of you worried about too high a launch or spin. You’ll see the results are the same as what we saw. You’ll even see our guy Spencer at work!

Posting live from 4 days ago... sorry, it does say Live in the title, but the schedule was so packed I barely had time to take notes. 

Recap Part 1

You guys know this part already, GabeWRX DMed that I had been selected. Excitement level 100. Then Spencer contacted us with all the flight, hotel and itinerary info. Excitement level 1000. Super organized, and generous getting me a direct flight from DC but also the transportation from SD to Carlsbad. Excitement level 10000. 

Bonus material - I got in a day early, played at the Crossings, which was such a good course both in terms of layout and condition with some very cool visuals.

@hammergolf was nice enough to pick me up from the course and we went over to the Yard House where we eventually connected with @CactusGolf and @eric61 for some pre-event drinks and to get acquainted. Already then we spent a couple of hours chatting about equipment over beer and could have gone on for much longer. 

Wednesday was the big day and I could barely sleep the night before. Excitement level 1000000. We walked into @Fujikura Golf offices to be greeted by Eric R., Kelsi, Jerry, Spencer, and Andrew. The Fuji swag and conference room pictures were already posted earlier. Spencer, who many of you might recognize from the social media videos, took Chris and I on the facility tour. He is incredibly articulate and knowledgeable, but not the kind of person who talks at you. He engages, listens, and you just want to listen to everything he says. He showed us the facility from shipping, to the resin fridge, to rolling the weaves, to all the custom machines you all saw. 

Very educational hearing about the hand rolling and the different pieces and shapes of materials that go on based on how each profile is to be constructed. We got to watch Kevin handroll different pieces of composite based on exact measurements, tighten things up with the machine to get rid of any air pockets, then throw it into the oven, for lack of better words. At least I think that was order. We saw shaft come out to be cooled as well. After that was the frequency and tolerance testing with those custom machines that you saw in the earlier pictures. Neat to see how they could build a prototype right there and do all the appropriate testing. Guess I never really knew how a graphite shaft was constructed, so this was new and interesting for me. 

@eric61 vids of Andres painting and and applying decals were perfect – smoothest shaft painter I’ve ever seen. He's the only I've ever seen. He was a super cool dude though, just a nice guy and was willing to explain the benefits of their process vs other industry practices. To wrap up the facility tour, Spencer showed us some cool paint job testing they had done, including the Folds of Honor version that is on the market currently. 

IMG_4183.jpeg

IMG_4186.jpeg

IMG_4189.jpeg

IMG_4215.jpeg

IMG_4218.jpeg

IMG_4223.jpeg

IMG_4237.jpeg

Edited by Puppetmaster
  • Like 4

Toulon Palm Beach

Very cool to see my trusty Speeder VC TS on the Wall of Fame, yet depressing to see that it was from like 2011 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Toulon Palm Beach