Fujikura Member Trip and VeloCore Fitting Experience Live at Fujikura HQ! Follow Along Here!

Wow @CactusGolf dropping spreadsheets on us? 

Just kidding - awesome post, can’t wait to hear the rest of your thoughts. 

• Haha 3

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

1 hour ago, Puppetmaster said:

@CactusGolfis playing chess… Really interested to hear the results.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

2 hours ago, Puppetmaster said:

The inner nerd in me loves spreadsheets.  Plus, I have a hard time relating data to “feels” and having a workbook of Garmin data gives me some benchmarks to compare to. 

Also, I signed up for that ball fitting website that you talked about on Friday and was super surprised by the outputs. 

• Like 3

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

17 minutes ago, CactusGolf said:

The inner nerd in me loves spreadsheets.  Plus, I have a hard time relating data to “feels” and having a workbook of Garmin data gives me some benchmarks to compare to. 

Also, I signed up for that ball fitting website that you talked about on Friday and was super surprised by the outputs. 

Awesome! Interested to see your reviews on the ball recommendations for you. 

Great thread! Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. 

@Puppetmaster - what irons are you going to get shafted up with the Axiom? Keeping the ol' TMs or going to put them into something newer?

• Like 1

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

43 minutes ago, XHoop24 said:

Great thread! Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. 

@Puppetmaster - what irons are you going to get shafted up with the Axiom? Keeping the ol' TMs or going to put them into something newer?

Love my 2014 TMs and the King Tour or T100 are calling my name.  Of course I am tempted by something new for these nice new shafts, but was thinking I should do a before and after of the old setup vs the new, at least for PW, 7i, and 4i or some similar combo. 

Either way, happy to meet up for you to try the Axioms and Ventus. Yes, we should finally make that round happen lol. 

• Like 1

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

2 hours ago, Puppetmaster said:

Love my 2014 TMs and the King Tour or T100 are calling my name.  Of course I am tempted by something new for these nice new shafts, but was thinking I should do a before and after of the old setup vs the new, at least for PW, 7i, and 4i or some similar combo. 

Either way, happy to meet up for you to try the Axioms and Ventus. Yes, we should finally make that round happen lol. 

Would I even be a WRX member if I wasn't already playing a Ventus Blue 6S in my driver 🙂

But we 100% should get a round on the books sometime this summer. Would love to check out the Axiom's and the Red TR!

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

18 hours ago, Puppetmaster said:

And PM we are waaaaaaasy overdue for another round.    

I would love to have you guys up to Compass Pointe as my guest if you all can make the drive!

• Like 2

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Day 2- Fitting Continued- Manufacturing Tour and Driver Fitting

Manufacturing Tour

After getting fit for the Axiom irons, Eric and I rotated with Joel and Chris and had the opportunity to visit the manufacturing side of the operation.  I walked into the experience with not much knowledge on how the shafts are actually produced or the work that goes into them.  My normal (and now I realize how normal/boring it is) job is in the logistics sector of the distilling industry, so it was interesting to see how their process mirrors ours.  Started the tour by seeing the end result of all the work and moved to the shipping department, which was operated by (if I remember correctly) less than 10 people moving tens of thousands of shafts under multiple SKUs.  As someone who deals with SKU management on a daily basis, I can definitely appreciate the inventory control mechanisms needed to maintain control.  Walked into the R&D production facility and was completely wrong with my understanding of how the shafts are actually made.  I thought that the product was extruded around a mold, but that wasn’t the case at all. 

Carbon material comes into the facility on large rolls and is temperature controlled and stored.  After the work order comes for the new product, it is then laser cut to specific shapes for very specific layering orders.  Spencer mentioned that a product could range anywhere from 7-20 layers in specific order depending on the request.  Again, I had no idea.  The product is then given to a craftsman (Kevin) who uses a template (mandrel) and begins the process of heating the first layer of material until it is pliable and then manually wraps the material around the mandrel.  The process continues until the last layer is added and is then cured in an oven.  The interesting part is that the mandrel has very specific start points and needs to be “clocked” (e.g. clock the mandrel at position 1, roll the material, clock the mandrel at position 2, roll the material).  This process is nearly identical to the clocking training that our barrel rollers have to go through in the rickhouse in order to make sure that the barrels’ bungs are finished in the top position. 

After curing, the shaft is then inserted into a cutting lathe and a small layer of material is removed for consistency.  As someone involved in the manufacturing process, the opportunities for product failure are numerous without tight controls.  After curing and stripping, the shaft is then put in the “torture chamber” or RACK and pushed to its limit through spinning and pressure.  I certainly didn’t realize graphite had fail points.  I’ve actually never owned a shaft long enough to find that out.

We then moved on to the paint process, which was done by Andres…..by hand.  Paint could either by sprayed or hand-pulled in order to reach the same level of consistency.  The only other time I’ve seen art like this was during the pinstriping process of custom car orders.  Decals go on through heat and further decals can be added via laser printing.  Some of the custom and limited edition shafts that we saw were stunningly beautiful (e.g. Folds of Honor/Masters Limited Editions), but I would never feel comfortable gaming some of those because I’d be afraid of scratching them.  I love going through the manufacturing processes at other companies to see how they compare to what we go through on a daily basis.

We then hooked up with the rest of the group for lunch and were able to meet Marshall, one of the tour representatives, who I’m pretty sure has the best job in the world and I would quit mine tomorrow to do what he does.  He walked through how they are able to utilize data for their tour players and nuture their relationship with OEMs to get their tour players the best equipment for their games.  What I particularly enjoyed was to see their background data and the antedoes regarding the use of data to identify potential problems before they become known.  For example, they were able to identify a crack in a driver head by watching slowing ball speeds from one of their players.

Driver Fitting

After lunch with the team (Rubio’s was fantastic), Eric and I were off to be fit for drivers and I had him jump in head first to get fitted.  It has been several years since my last driver fitting and it didn’t particularly go well, so it was interesting to see how Andrew took the feedback he was given to translate it into actual improved performance.  Eric hit quite a few balls and settled on a Ventus TR Blue 6S, but don’t believe for a word that he wasn’t hitting it well, there was some serious pop off the driver.

After watching Eric pound it with the driver @eric61 I tried to capture some of your Ventus data in my pictures too, it was my time to jump into the simulator.  As I mentioned earlier, I’ve been using Garmin since at least 2014 and have been tracking data s I get an idea of my distances.  I’ve seen an uptick in driver distance over the last two years through the use of the Callaway Epic Speed and now the Callaway Paradym.  The Paradym has been a great head for me and 100% purchased on a whim because I liked the way the head looked in the pictures that GolfWRX took.  Completely bought sight unseen and ordered a 10.5* head with stock Tensei Blue 65S shaft and played at N/S cog settings.  Currently average 285 prior to the driver fitting with a common miss…..the block/push right.  My biggest issues are keeping the ball in play, especially in regards to par 5 scoring.  Like I mentioned earlier, it is really hard to make par if I’m hitting 3 off of the tee.  Distance has not been a problem for me lately, but accuracy sure has been.  And of course, bad drives lead to bad decisions and bad tempers and the round goes south quickly.  I also notice that as the round progresses I get tired and the misses tend to get worse.  So, my goal with the fitting is accuracy.

Andrew took my driver for some initial measurements and found that the stock Paradym was playing at 46” and D6, which completely explains why I feel so tired at the end of the round and have trouble locating the club face consistently as the round progresses.  After warming up with several balls, realized that I needed a bit more spin and launch!  I think I was so used to higher spinning drivers as the last driver I was fitted into was 2,700 to 2,800 spin and that was the Ping Anser several years ago.  Every driver since was an impulse purchase without being fit (errors on my part).  The warm-up with my current driver set-up were hit well with efficiency around 1.47 to 1.48 with ball speed of 151.9, launch of 11.9*, and spin of 2,000.  Again, clear to me why I saw some low, left, falling-out-of-the-sky shots as I get tired during the round.  Also noticed that the ball was turning over a bit more than I wanted and definitely want to straighten that out as I don’t like seeing the ball go left.  I also have trouble “locating” the clubhead (especially when tired) and I feel myself trying to guide the ball, which gets me into a LOT of trouble. 

Andrew immediately put me into a Ventus TR Red 6S with playing length of 45”, clicked my driver to 11.5*, and it felt like I put some good “pop” on the ball.  Balls were coming out straighter or reaching apex and fell right, which is the preferred ball flight.  Didn’t have any problem locating the club or feeling the shaft “snap” at impact and the feel I got was “smooth”.  Felt like this shaft allowed me to located the head without any unexpected movement.  Andrew then let me hit the Ventus TR Blue in 6S, but after a few balls, that was a quick “no” from me as it felt like I had to work really hard to get the head back on line and felt boardy to me.  Sometimes with shafts that are a bit too stiff (x-stiff), I tend to overswing. 

This was one of the smoothest fittings I’ve been a part of.  It didn’t feel like I hit that many balls with the driver (maybe about 30-40) and wasn’t tired after it.  I’m sure some adrenaline in there with the cameras/Instagram Live/people, which was all a new experience for me.  Andrew and I settled on a Ventus TR Red in 6S because of the feel and the results. I saw a 2.5 MPH increase in ball speed, roughly the same launch angle (+1* increase in setting from initial set-up, so I need to mechanically do something different or find a 11.5* head), 200RPM boost, and an increase in carry of 7 yards and overall increase in 6 yards.  However, the biggest benefit that I saw was dispersion and a return to my preferred ball flight (falling right).  In the graphic below, I went from the “yellow ring” in terms of dispersion to “red ring”.  This was worth every second and I could only hope that this translated to the course. (Spoiler alert…..it does).  I found the ball speed and distance increase shocking because I went down a full inch in playing length!!

image.png

image.png

Edited by CactusGolf
  • Like 2

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

15 minutes ago, CactusGolf said:

The product is then given to a craftsman (Kevin) who uses a template (mandrel) and begins the process of heating the first layer of material until it is pliable and then manually wraps the material around the mandrel.

I blame lack of sleep, but when I read wrapping the mandrel,  I was pleased they didn't wrap a mandrill...

mandrel.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GolfTurkey said:

I blame lack of sleep, but when I read wrapping the mandrel,  I was pleased they didn't wrap a mandrill...

mandrel.jpg

The pictures would have been way tougher to get. 

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

23 hours ago, CactusGolf said:

I'll post my thoughts on the driver tonight, but the dispersion to me is the key winner and definitely what I was looking for.  And I'll mention like Brian did, I went from a 46" shaft to 45" and still picked up 7 yards carry.

Went from my current Tensei Blue 65S (yellow ring) to the Ventus TR Red 6S (red ring) and the results absolutely translated to the next round's play and a round I had coming home with a demo shaft that I snuck out of the clubhouse. 

image.png.59e0d377837ec68fcc31a127de307374.pngimage.png.2c33476cb7603d64cc9f809d2848c0d9.png

Same thing I saw. More ball speed, more carry distance, tighter dispersion, but same launch and spin as my gamer. Gotta love Velocore!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Same thing I saw. More ball speed, more carry distance, tighter dispersion, but same launch and spin as my gamer. Gotta love Velocore!

I was impressed with it from the round at Shadow Ridge and the one I snuck out with a fitting shaft back home.  I will admit though....playing at sea level is rough.

I'm still hoping I can squeeze out a few more RPMs with a ball change.

Edited by CactusGolf
  • Like 1

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

23 minutes ago, CactusGolf said:

I was impressed with it from the round at Shadow Ridge and the one I snuck out with a fitting shaft back home.  I will admit though....playing at sea level is rough.

I'm still hoping I can squeeze out a few more RPMs with a ball change.

What ball are you playing now? I can’t wait to get mine in the bag. 10yds is wayyyy more of a gain than I was expecting because I knew I had a great fit with my gamer. Only thing I need to adjust to is that it does not have as much draw shape. Which is a great thing, considering my miss is let. Plus I can actually hit a cut with the Ventus which I could never do with my gamer.

5 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

What ball are you playing now? I can’t wait to get mine in the bag. 10yds is wayyyy more of a gain than I was expecting because I knew I had a great fit with my gamer. Only thing I need to adjust to is that it does not have as much draw shape. Which is a great thing, considering my miss is let. Plus I can actually hit a cut with the Ventus which I could never do with my gamer.

ProV1x now, but the ball fitting app suggested a Bridgestone BX or BXS.

image.png

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

5 hours ago, CactusGolf said:

ProV1x now, but the ball fitting app suggested a Bridgestone BX or BXS.

image.png

I’m in the BXS and really like it. If I’m in very soft conditions, I’ll play Tour BX. I find them very similar, but for me the BX goes a little further off the tee, flies a touch higher, and feels a touch firmer. Both great balls though and great in the wind. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Puppetmaster said:

Finally, and I apologize for not saying this up front. I kept saying it to people along the way, but wanted to post it too – I will always be grateful for this once-in-a-lifetime experience. Thank you thank you thank you @Fujikura Golf and @GolfWRX. It was such an educational trip; so cool to see the history, the facility, how things are done, shafts designed and painted, but also we were hosted by an open, friendly team at Fujikura who were always willing to talk and share their knowledge. From their organization of the tour, fitting, round, to the details in and around the conference room, they were awesome hosts - Spencer, Eric, Andrew, Marshall, Kelsi, Jerry, Andres, Kevin, and others I’ve missed. 

you are so very welcome. We enjoyed meeting and hosting you, come back any time!

• Like 2

http://fujikuragolf.com http://fujikuragolf.com/dealer-locator

On 6/7/2023 at 9:17 AM, hammergolf said:

Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office

On 6/6/2023 at 9:57 AM, CactusGolf said:

I'll post my thoughts on the driver tonight, but the dispersion to me is the key winner and definitely what I was looking for.  And I'll mention like Brian did, I went from a 46" shaft to 45" and still picked up 7 yards carry.

Went from my current Tensei Blue 65S (yellow ring) to the Ventus TR Red 6S (red ring) and the results absolutely translated to the next round's play and a round I had coming home with a demo shaft that I snuck out of the clubhouse. 

image.png.59e0d377837ec68fcc31a127de307374.pngimage.png.2c33476cb7603d64cc9f809d2848c0d9.png

even we were impressed by your performance transformation with VENTUS! Keep us posted on how it goes for you back home on familiar courses.

• Like 2

http://fujikuragolf.com http://fujikuragolf.com/dealer-locator

14 hours ago, Puppetmaster said:

A few of my pictures… 

IMG_4248.jpeg

IMG_4249.jpeg

IMG_4250.jpeg

IMG_4252.jpeg

IMG_4253.jpeg

IMG_4254.jpeg

IMG_4256.jpeg

IMG_4257.jpeg

IMG_4261.jpeg

Black LTD with the Red Tr looks amazing!

• Like 3

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

On 6/8/2023 at 8:05 PM, Puppetmaster said:

A few of my pictures… 

IMG_4248.jpeg

IMG_4249.jpeg

IMG_4250.jpeg

IMG_4252.jpeg

IMG_4253.jpeg

IMG_4254.jpeg

IMG_4256.jpeg

IMG_4257.jpeg

IMG_4261.jpeg

Thoooooooooose irons.  Go ahead and buy them.

• Like 1

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

I’m curious how the long and short shafts feel compared to the mid ones given that there is no where I’ve gone that has those for demo. So with that said, how was a fitter know what might be good for someone who swings a 6 iron 87 mph?  Likewise, how does the building of the short and long irons work?  I haven’t seen any data on those irons online. I tried the 105S against my LA Golf 105S today and felt good.  Thoughts from fujikura?

Also did some spreadsheet work throwing out the highest and lowest smash. 

40AF6274-0057-4BFA-ACE3-EF0B029B3209.jpeg

F6A7EA7F-0238-44BD-A3BA-B2C9D2592FC6.jpeg

Edited by gsrjc

19 minutes ago, gsrjc said:

I’m curious how the long and short shafts feel compared to the mid ones given that there is no where I’ve gone that has those for demo. So with that said, how was a fitter know what might be good for someone who swings a 6 iron 87 mph?  Likewise, how does the building of the short and long irons work?  I haven’t seen any data on those irons online. I tried the 105S against my LA Golf 105S today and felt good.  Thoughts from fujikura?

Also did some spreadsheet work throwing out the highest and lowest smash. 

40AF6274-0057-4BFA-ACE3-EF0B029B3209.jpeg

F6A7EA7F-0238-44BD-A3BA-B2C9D2592FC6.jpeg

I know it’s not the answer you want to hear, but go to a good fitter. They will be able to give you the options to try. One of the main things I learned from the trip was to not make assumptions based on clubhead speed. It’s more about how you load a shaft than just how fast you swing it. What is very unique about the Axiom shafts is that you have tipping and fitting options within each profile. So they can be stepped hard or soft. Maybe @eric61, @Puppetmaster, or @CactusGolf can chime in since they are around your speed. 

• Like 2