2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Will Golf Channel ever get rid of Brandel Chamblee?

tgoodspe1991

Does this guy really bring in the ratings for them or something? I cannot stand Chamblee and can't remember the last time I agreed with any of his "hot takes". I can't imagine this guy is popular enough to keep around, yet here is still after all these years. Equally annoying in Azinger and his miraculously ability to make the wrong shot calls literally as he's watching the shot unfold. 

Do any of you actually like Chamblee? Am I in the minority or something? How the heck has Golf Channel not found a better replacement for him yet?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tgoodspe1991 said:

Does this guy really bring in the ratings for them or something? I cannot stand Chamblee and can't remember the last time I agreed with any of his "hot takes". I can't imagine this guy is popular enough to keep around, yet here is still after all these years. Equally annoying in Azinger and his miraculously ability to make the wrong shot calls literally as he's watching the shot unfold. 

Do any of you actually like Chamblee? Am I in the minority or something? How the heck has Golf Channel not found a better replacement for him yet?

your not in the minority however golf channel layed off a bunch of people when they moved out of florida chamblee survived that culling so i think he's set until/unless they move golf channel to Chamblee Georgia ;}

17 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

Golf Channel will dump Chamblee the same day that ESPN dumps Stephen A Smith. It's not about who people like, it's about who garners attention. 

Agreed.  I don't watch the golf channel at all...but I hear his name on this forum and in other online sports news about his takes or beefs with other golfers.  It has led me to read articles, or see what all the fuss is about on a handful of occasions.  I can't name you one other golf channel personality that is still employed by the network because those people don't make headlines outside of the golf channel like Chamblee does.

When other sports outlets are talking about content of your programming, that's usually not a bad thing when it comes to advertisers.  Advertisers don't care if you're clicking on a link because you disagree with a someone's take...they just care that you clicked on it at all and see their ad in the process, and are likely to click again.

• Thanks 1

I don’t like him at all and do not watch anything that he is in. Quite frankly I have no desire to listen to him condescendingly preach how people should think and behave. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

8 minutes ago, Duct Tape said:

Re Steven A Smith.  

i refuse to watch him. A blowhard and complete waste of my time. 

You and me both buddy. However, that dude is probably the highest paid personality at ESPN and survived the most recent culling. What does that tell you? People are tuning in, I can't imagine its because people like and respect his opinions. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Duct Tape said:

Re Steven A Smith.  

i refuse to watch him. A blowhard and complete waste of my time. 

This makes me think of Max Kellerman. I am not bothered by any golf commentator. But something about Max just rubs me the wrong way. A close second would be Chris “Mad Dog” Russo. Can’t change the channel fast enough when either comes on. 

• Like 1

Chamblee is meh. Don't watch the GC at all. Regarding Azinger, he isn't the problem, just a symptom.  The real problem is that networks in the US have convinced themselves that there needs to someone talking constantly during a golf telecast.  They think that using the same broadcasting setup as other sports will attract more casual viewers. They're wrong, obviously,  and between the nonstop jabbering and commercials it's unwatchable 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

Brandel brings statistics and analysis to the argument, which I respect. He is thoughtful and I like him. 

He does but a lot of the time, he cherry picks the statistics to fit his narrative. I like that he does his research but he could be more open when it comes to there being other stats which don't fit his opinion. 

• Like 4

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

50 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

Amen!

There are times when I watch the Sky Sports coverage and nothing is being said, the pictures they are showing tell the story. A couple of weeks ago when Sam Burns was trying to get his ruling out of the bunker at the Scottish Open, the coms team just let us hear what was being said between Burns, the referee and others. When I later saw it recapped on Twitter with the US version of events, all I got to hear was what the commentary team thought of the situation. 

I just don't get it. Almost zero fans want the intrusive commenting. Just think,  if they got rid of half the commentary team, they'd make more money on ad revenue and maybe wouldn't need so many commercials to make their nut. They literally only need 2 people. 

The sky broadcast is perfect. The US broadcasts of sports also manipulates the sound to make it appear like there's a "championship" buzz nonstop during the event, which there rarely is. It's a constant level of background hum that actually agitates me. It causes a physical anxious response that I have to get away from. It's bizarre and once you "see" it, you can't unsee it. Kind of like knee pads under an actor's pants when there's about to be a fight seen or some other action!

• Like 1

Keep in mind that Brandel is on a show that is designed to analyze and debate topics; this is a form of entertainment.  

Others have mentioned Stephen A Smith on ESPN.  He is occasionally a guest on Paul Finebaum's show and he comes off as a very likable, level-headed guy when not in his ESPN character.  He alluded to this regarding the debate shows, that him and Max, etc. have to go in a "character mode" as the producers of the show plan out what points each person will debate and what side of the "hot take" they will argue.

So, probably the same with Brandel and the Golf Channel.  Someone on the show has to play the "heel" character to stir up arguments and keep the topic interesting.

• Like 2

Driver--Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ProjectX Cypher Black

FW-4/7 woods--Callaway Paradym

Irons 4-5--Callaway Apex

Irons 6-PW--Callaway RazrX w/steel Uniflex-- shafts

F2 Series Gap Wedge 52* degree

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter--Odyssey White Steel

Ball-Srixon or Bridgestone E6

When I see myself on video or hear a voice recording of me blathering on, I find it extremely annoying.  I have come to believe if I find a TV personality that annoys me, I need to look in the mirror and judge myself by that same standard.

Folks around me must be very gracious since they do not to say anything critical.  (To my face)

No, I’m not Brandel…..

Edited by Yuck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

Brandel brings statistics and analysis to the argument, which I respect. He is thoughtful and I like him. 

I like Brandel's commentary when it comes to discussing courses, players, history, strokes-gained etc.  Really insightful, and you can tell he puts in the research in order to talk about a particular player who is relevant for that weekend's event.  Even for the LPGA side, which I watch more of.

But as soon as he pulls out the soapbox, I turn him off.  

I'm not one for "shut up and dribble" but I just can't take his soapbox hot takes.  One can have an opinion, and state it, without making up a fake beef and calling everyone names.  And yes, I feel the same way about guys like Stephen A.  I also didn't need Bob Costas giving me his five minute opinion about something during half time or the 7th inning stretch.  I may even agree with much of it, I just don't need/care to hear it right then. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

7 minutes ago, subrew said:

I like Brandel's commentary when it comes to discussing courses, players, history, strokes-gained etc.  Really insightful, and you can tell he puts in the research in order to talk about a particular player who is relevant for that weekend's event.  Even for the LPGA side, which I watch more of.

But as soon as he pulls out the soapbox, I turn him off.  

I'm not one for "shut up and dribble" but I just can't take his soapbox hot takes.  One can have an opinion, and state it, without making up a fake beef and calling everyone names.  And yes, I feel the same way about guys like Stephen A.  I also didn't need Bob Costas giving me his five minute opinion about something during half time or the 7th inning stretch.  I may even agree with much of it, I just don't need/care to hear it right then. 

I should point out to, I wish there was some giant "OPINION TIME" graphic that flashed up on the screen, for when the soapbox came out.  Way too many sources of news aren't actually news.  It's just blowhards stating an opinion.  95% of most 24/7 news channels aren't actually news, it's a host with an opinion, bringing on other people who have opinions.  

News has basically become one Op-Ed after another.  Op-Eds are fine, when they clearly state they are an Op-Ed.  But when 95% of your content is Op-Ed and labelled as news, that's when any credibility goes away.  Many golf news sites have devolved into this.  Cutting and Pasting twitter links, with a catchy headline does not equal news.  And when the journalist has to use the "I get paid for my opinion" excuse when they called out, it should be obvious they aren't actually being a journalist.  They are just blogging their Op-Ed.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter