2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

1/2 to 3/4 Wedge shot

This year I’ve been finding myself with a lot of 1/2 to 3/4 shots and I have not be handling them well from the fairway. I normally hit a full 60* wedge between 95-100 yards and the tight lie shots from 50-75yds are totally in my head. Thins and fats galore. 

What is your go to set up and club selection for these shots that has the largest margin for error? I also carry a 56-52 but most times I have to get it up in the air a bit to elevated greens. Open to anything though really. I need something to go to that I can practice and build confidence that I’m going to get it on the green from the fairway and not chunk it halfway there. 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by FormerBigDaddy

The good news is, I know the proper technique for those shots (at least "A" proper technique anyway). So it's really about just setting up correctly and trusting my swing.

But that's the bad news, too. The trusting part is the worst part of my game Except for putting, I am doubtful of EVERYTHING. And those 3/4 wedge shots are so punishing of any decceleration or flipping. Fat 'em and they go nowhere, blade 'em and it's a lost ball in the woods over the green. Hence the lack of trust, it's a vicious cycle. 

FWIW, open the stance a variable amount according to the length of the shot, open the clubface to match the stance, ball just inside back foot. And for me the key is, from that position go ahead and make a normal swing and DO NOT CUT ACROSS THE BALL. 

Somewhere in the deepest recesses of my brain there was something lodged when I was a beginner telling me "open face and open stance, swipe across the ball and try to slice it". I know that doesn't work but as soon as that lack of trust creeps in I seem to automatically swipe across the ball rather than swinging down and through like any other iron or wedge shot. Disaster follows. 

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

I have Callaway Mac Daddy CB wedges with plenty of bounce.  I carry the 60 but also have the 58.

Good ball first striking can get the ball closer to the pin.  But there is a risk reward issue if you miss.

The bounce allows you to slide the ball under the ball and get it close enough for a decent two putt.

For many, that is the smarter strategy.  Just get the ball on the green and don't hunt for pins.

Boring golf that leads to lower scores.

Edited by ShortGolfer

48 minutes ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

This year I’ve been finding myself with a lot of 1/2 to 3/4 shots and I have not be handling them well from the fairway. I normally hit a full 60* wedge between 95-100 yards and the tight lie shots from 50-75yds are totally in my head. Thins and fats galore. 

What is your go to set up and club selection for these shots that has the largest margin for error? I also carry a 56-52 but most times I have to get it up in the air a bit to elevated greens. Open to anything though really. I need something to go to that I can practice and build confidence that I’m going to get it on the green from the fairway and not chunk it halfway there. 

Thanks in advance. 

A 64* wedge makes much easier the 40-70 yard high trajectory carry shots.

A shag bag and a practice green is your best option here, just need practice and confidence. Experiment with ball position and club selection. I can hit 60* about 100 yards with a full swing, but typically hit a 55* with a 2/3 swing and slightly open face/stance with the ball forward from 50-80 yards. Just manipulate the club face and ball position to control trajectory. Nice smooth tempo through and through. 

• Like 2

Setup is critical...posture can get lazy here. Make sure your posture is good. 

Ball position is critical too. Not too far forward, not too far back.

Watch this video. I moved to the clock method for these shots. What I thought was a 3/4 swing was really a full swing with less energy in the downswing. So much easier to "apply the same force down, but shorten the backswing". 3/4 swing is now 9 o'clock with the lead arm. 

• Like 4

Hate to be that guy but unless your playing a scramble or something, you can control how far out you are.

If you stink from 35-75(i know i do) avoid leaving yourself that distance in. 

Edited by golfwb
  • Like 2

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

Almost certainly your backswing is getting too long. For me it's not much different than a full 60, which is what I will use for this range pretty much all the time. I narrow and slightly open my stance, play it in the middle, and a waist high arm swing should go about 75 yards with my 60. For shorter I would generally open the face slightly or shorten the swing even more. You can really get into the clock system for various yardages but some of this has to be solid natural feel for the shot. 

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf
  • Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10° TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15° Devotion HB 75-X
Wilson Staff Utility 3/21° HZRDUS 4G 6.5
Wilson Staff Blades 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

Get shorter😜, a 75 yard is generally a full 56 for me. I wish I could help you with the ~60 yard range as that's my trouble area too.

I will say that what has helped me is not trying to use my wrists at all, and having bookmarks of my body position for specific distances. It's basically the clock method but not thinking oh that's 8, I need 9. I'm very confident in for 40 yards, that's a 56 with setup about normal width, slightly open stance and clubface, rotate until left shoulder touches chin, follow through until right shoulder touches chin.

• Like 1

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

4 hours ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

Thanks in advance. 

IMO, chunking shots is tied to poor mechanics, not so much wedge specs.  Also has more to do with laying up to a preferred yardage; mine is 100-150yds.  Sounds like you hit the ball as far as you can, only to face the yardages and clubs you haven't mastered yet. 

Dial back the first shot means NOT hitting driver as hard/far as humanly possible or choosing a different club or maybe choosing different tees.  When I am concerned about the 2nd shot into the green, ordinarily I use 2 iron or 3 wood off the tee, knowing I am good with long - mid irons.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

The two things I think about when hitting partial wedges is keeping most of my weight on my front foot and maintaining a smooth tempo.

• Like 1

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM 5 - Speeder Evolution SR

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7-AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Scotty Cameron Futura Phantom

When I practice, approximately 40% of the balls hit every time are 50 to 80 yard partial wedge shots with my 56 and 60. I am just just grooving a solid and simple 9 to 3 motion. It helps my tempo/rhythm as well when I move to longer clubs. If you devote the time you can become confident on these shots. I am tall, and follow Ernie’s advice regarding weight on front foot.

415B4E0B-E374-42F7-979C-BB3145AE808F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

I often have the same struggles. A tendency to get too far behind the ball in the backswing leads me to get flippy with wedges, and you just can't do that on these short shots. I set up with the ball a bit back in my stance and try to feel very centered on the backswing with very limited wrist set, and then rotate smooth and level through impact. If I feel like I have to manipulate things with my hands to generate spin, hit it hard, etc--that's when I get in trouble. 

I do second the idea that you shouldn't lay up to a preferred distance. Even at 50-75 yards, though I might have slightly less confidence than I should, the results speak for themselves. A big miss from 50 is no worse a result than the small miss from say, 120, which is my preferred gap wedge distance. 

A couple things that over the years that have made these shots easier for me...

Stand a bit closer to the ball.

Let your arms control the backswing. Keeps your from sucking the club inside and and limits torso rotation in the backswing.

Firm up your wrists to keep from getting flippy.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

22 minutes ago, SNIPERBBB said:

A couple things that over the years that have made these shots easier for me...

Stand a bit closer to the ball.

Let your arms control the backswing. Keeps your from sucking the club inside and and limits torso rotation in the backswing.

Firm up your wrists to keep from getting flippy.

I suspect you and I are wired very differently. If I let my arms control any swing (full swing, wedge swing, pitching, chipping) sucking the club inside on the takeaway is the inevitable result! That seems to be just what my arms are programmed to do. 

My golf coach has had me do drills where I kind of lock my upper arms against my body and just hit wedge shots with body turn only. 

It's crazy how one person's "must do" can be another's "must NOT do"...

P.S. One key for me, don't remember if I mentioned it before, is to keep my weight centered under the middle of my feet. For some reason I want to lean out on my toes. I think that's one thing your "stand closer to the ball" helps with.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

20 hours ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

Almost certainly your backswing is getting too long. For me it's not much different than a full 60, which is what I will use for this range pretty much all the time. I narrow and slightly open my stance, play it in the middle, and a waist high arm swing should go about 75 yards with my 60. For shorter I would generally open the face slightly or shorten the swing even more. You can really get into the clock system for various yardages but some of this has to be solid natural feel for the shot. 

I think this is the most common flaw among ams.  The backswing gets too long, and then the brain screams on the way down that the ball is going to go too far.  The body stops turning, the club slows down, and the result is terrible contact of one sort or another.

Many, many years ago, Pelz recommended having three swings of different backswing lengths with each wedge, and then knowing how far each one went.  I think it’s still great advice, if only because it prevents a too long backswing AND because it provides a focus for practice.  And like everything else in golf, focused practice is is the key to improvement.

44 minutes ago, North Butte said:

I suspect you and I are wired very differently. If I let my arms control any swing (full swing, wedge swing, pitching, chipping) sucking the club inside on the takeaway is the inevitable result! That seems to be just what my arms are programmed to do. 

Yep I can see that. But when I Do What I am talking about, the club goes back on almost straight down the line. Its more of a lift. If you try to just rotate the shoulders, you end sucking it inside.

My full swing isn't much different. It's  the no turn drill on steroids. Still get a full shoulder turn .. just not trying to get a shoulder turn. When I use to try to get a full turn, I went past a full turn and ended making a flat turn that was a nightmare on film.

Edited by SNIPERBBB

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

16 hours ago, DaveGoodrich said:

Ugh.  Another thread where folks are recommending "laying up to a preferred distance."  The data says otherwise.   Everyone thinks they are "special," most people aren't.  The data really does apply to you. So even if you think you suck from 50 yards, you are almost certainly closer from there, on average, than you are from 100.  It just feels worse to hit it to 20 feet from 50 than it does to hit it to 30 feet from 100.  Practice those short shots, and you will be way closer.  As mark m said above, much of your practice time should be spent on partial wedges.  Those shots are scoring opportunities, and that kind of practice spills over into all ball striking, as it is focused primarily on making consistent, solid contact.

I recommend Monte's original "Use the Bounce" video.  Ball forward, square to very slightly open face and stance, shallow swing, near vertical shaft at impact - let the weight of the club head control the release.  Although mostly intended for shorter shots around the green, I think that technique works well out to 60 yards or so, and even farther depending on green speed, pin position, etc.  Very simple and forgiving, IMO.  For me, a kind of Stricker-esque, less wrist-hinge swing also helps improve my consistency of low-point on these shorter wedge shots.  

Also, if you are swinging a high lofted wedge hard, that is your first mistake.   Its a lot harder to skull it over the green when you are using less loft, and swinging less hard.  Skull an easy 56 and it might roll to the back of the green, skull a hard 60, and...(you know).  

Just out of curiosity where are you obtaining this data set?

Edited by golfwb
spelling

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk