2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

How much Golf Gear is too much?

Mainegrw

Today I picked up my sixth or seventh iron set, and now I wonder if I’ve gone too far. I can’t be the only one who seems to collect gear, can I? Here’s what currently graces my collection: 

In my bag for everyday play (Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 bag): 

- Callaway Paradym Driver, 10.5 degrees, Regular Flex

- Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 19 degrees, Regular Flex

- Callaway X Series 5 Hybrid, 23 degrees, Regular flex (I cannot recall the last time I swung it, just lives in the bag)

- Titleist 804 OS iron set, 3 thru P, NS970 Pro regular flex shafts

- Callaway Mack Daddy CB wedges, 52, 56, and 60 degree

- Scotty Cameron 2021 Special Select Newport Putter

In a second bag that lives in my car, and rarely gets touched, sometimes at the range (this one is almost a Tiffany Blue Ping Bag): 

- Ping Eye2+ BeCu Iron set, 3-SW, black dot, stiff flex

- Ping BeCu Scottsdale Anser Putter

In yet another bag in my car (mind you all of these so far are walking bags with legs, this one’s a Burton Bag, with Miller Lite branding): 

- Callaway XR16 OS iron set, 4 thru P and the Approach Wedge, Regular Flex

- Titleist 913H 4 hybrid, 21 degrees, stiff flex

- Titleist Vokey Wedges, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, and 60, most are older 2XX series, one is a SM4.

- Titleist Bulleye Putter bearing the “SC” logo for Scotty Cameron ( supposedly worth a little more than a standard Acushnet Bullseye, but idk…)

- Ping 35th Anniversary Ping-N-Ping putter, a modernization of the Ping 1A, and it makes a wonderful sound

- Taylormade TPA VI Putter 

- Some Random Ray Cook aluminum mallet style putter

- Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60g driver shaft with Callaway tip, Stiff Flex

Currently not bagged but also in my trunk and/or garage:

- Wilson Staff Ultra 45 iron set, 3 thru P, regular flex

- Cobra Gravity Back Iron Set, 3 Thru P, stiff flex

- 1974 Ben Hogan Apex partial iron set, with regular flex Apex 3 shafts, missing 3, 7 and 9 irons. (According to the code on the hosels, they were produced in July 1973 which would make them some of the earliest 1974 model 6200 irons off the assembly line) 

- Titleist DCI 962 iron set 5 thru P, Stiff flex (today’s cheap score) 

So tell me: do I have too much? Can I carry on collecting to my heart’s content, or until I run out of storage? 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, bobfoster said:

Personally, I use the traditional, Nobel prize winning, time tested "Parked Car" criteria: TV(C + B + P + S) + C < CGD. 

The total volume of space taken up by clubs, bags, practice equipment and shoes, plus the space taken up by the car, has to be less than the total cubic volume of the garage itself. 

Really, it is science. Which, of course (according to our leaders), we're all supposed to follow. In layman's terms:

If the amount of equipment I have still lets me get my car into the garage completely enough to fully close the garage door, then by definition I don't have too much golf gear. 

Follow the science. I think its a federal law. 

I love this! Sounds like I’m ok then since the majority of it is currently living in the trunk of my car. Collect on I shall! 

Well this is a good question for me as I have over 60 years of clubs, two rooms. I probably need to do an inventory of some sort. It appears to be close to a couple of thousand clubs and hundreds of special and prototype shafts

Easily more than 200+ wedges and as many or more putters including numerous prototypes. Maybe four dozen iron sets many given to me by the OEMs, one gift set custom made for me from Butch Harmon in the late 90's when he was still working with Cobra (beautiful set of forged blades that have hardly been used and to this day they are in the original box). Another complete set (1 thru PW) designed for Ken Venturi. Two sets custom made special for Greg Norman. One a special Spalding Top Flight blade that he used and another from Cobra that were never sold (only a couple of dozen ever made). I have the set of First Flight blades  used in High School  and a pre- dot set of Ping K-1s from College. (I used the 1 iron for many years beyond the time I played the set (in the end too much off-set). Plus hundreds of drivers, woods and Hybrids, numerous special customs and prototypes most that were gifted to me from the designers, company owners, endorsers, tour and marketing reps.  I have done a lot of equipment testing over the years and I have never felt right in selling stuff that was gifted (and registered) to me. I have gifted much to other up and coming young players with out the resources for a couple of decades. I am planning to give away a ton of useable equipment to a couple of groups, First Tee and another that sets up clubs for veterans just taking up the game. Ironically most of my current clubs in my bag, I have bought myself while much or most of what I own were gifts.  

Edited by MCoz
  • Like 4

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

2 broke girls GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

23 hours ago, Maine Golfer said:

I dont have a wife, so no limits!

Same. It makes a big difference.

In all seriousness, if your spending habits are not negatively impacting anyone, there are much worse hobbies and addictions to have. But as long as your family is taken care of properly (if you have one), no one should tell you how to spend your money. 

• Like 1

Right I'm not a hoarder , I try to keep stuff I can bend and play (im tall). I support my extended family. As long as your life has balance. 

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Irons: Ping Zings 2 -5 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 6 to 8

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

-

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

-

Other sets include:  1972 Wilson X31's 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7), 1988 Jack Nicklaus Super Eye-O-Matic (EOM) Persimmons

I have about 5 full bags right now. It's only a problem if you run out of room in your house

• Haha 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

You can never have too many!!

TSR3 10° + IZ 6x / BRNR Mini 13.5°  + BB 7x / Stealth+ 19° + IZ 8s /   Apex UW 21° HD 8s  / G425 26° + IZ 95s / Miura TC-201 6-PW + PX 6.0  / MG3 50°, 55°, 60° + Hi-Rev 2.0 125 / Goodwood M2 w/ Custom Welded Long Neck

There's no such thing as too much
I could easily build 4 or 5 good sets with the clubs I have.  It's fun to tinker and try out new clubs & ideas.  Top-end to Lower-Middle of the bag is where I have the most variety clubs (woods, hybrids, long irons, utilities, etc.).  Even buying individual clubs for specific tournaments and courses (64 wedge for par 3 tournament).

TBH I end up going back to the same setup 95% of the time, could have 1 set be just fine

I have actually lowered my handicap as I've lowered my inventory ... golf clubs are like quarterbacks, if you have 2 starters, you don't have a starter. I find if I have 2 clubs, especially putters, I really like, I bounce back and forth between them and never commit. I see improvement if I dump everything but 1 and just stick to it, not matter what.

Now that I think about, putters are more like women than quarterbacks.

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

IMG_7051.gif.f1f1fd7372b688b4635c58e80deb65e0.gif

• Haha 2

Titleist TSR4  | Ventus TR VeloCore Blue 6 44.5"

Titleist TSR3 16.5° | Ventus TR Velocore Blue 7 42.5"

Titleist 816H1 19° | Aldila Rogue Max 85H

Titleist 690.CB 4-P | DG S300

Vokey SM9 52.12F 56.10S 60.08M | DG AMT S400

PING Anser | 35"

Ball | Bridgestone Tour BX | Titleist Pro V1

Bag | Taylormade Flextech Light | Jones Original | Titleist Tour Staff Bag

2 hours ago, jbeer7375 said:

You can never have too many!!

Clubs, spare tires or dead bodies?

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR (adapter at +1.5°)

Ping G 5 & 6H, Alta CB R

Cleveland Launcher XL 7-DW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel/Callaway Supersoft

@Mainegrw that's a really good question and one that many of us would benefit from figuring out for ourselves.

I agree storage space or encumbrance, difficulty getting to or accessing all the equipment is a reasonable hard limit. 

Secondly I really like some of your sets and bags I can see why you'd want to keep them around. They're cool for different reasons.

As an overview when we look at what makes people happy though... it's all the touchy feely stuff. Connection to others, unity in purpose, growth, learning etc.

So with that said... I'd start looking at what you think is fun with your golf equip and everything else then either add or pare down based on that.

11 hours ago, Maine Golfer said:

Right I'm not a hoarder , I try to keep stuff I can bend and play (im tall). I support my extended family. As long as your life has balance. 

11 hours ago, Maine Golfer said:

No one said you didn't take care of your family as what some might see as being a hoarder, well maybe when it comes to 200+ wedges what in the world does anyone need that many and when do you have time to play with all the extra stuff that you have. Its not a terrible habit to have but it's expensive but it's your money so no one should care how you spend your money. I'm sure most of the extra stuff won't bring you in much money if you were trying to sell anything but just to look at,  if it isn't serving a purpose and I don't need it I sell it, trade or give away.  

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

As long  as they aren’t collecting dust-you don’t have too many. If  they’re sitting and not being used- That’s when you have too many

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

5 complete sets of irons, 3 drivers, 5 shafts for two of the drivers, 13 wedges not including the iron set wedges, 6 hybrids, a few assorted fairway woods and 42 dozen new golf balls.  Also have a set of old school flighted Rifle FCM 5.5 shafts.  There is also a Medicus double hinged iron.

I didn't realize I had that many balls until just now.  I only buy balls when there is a significant discount on them, it happens a few times a year and usually involves a previous year ball.  I might have a golf ball problem, 42 dozen is ridiculous and I'm not sure how they built up like that without my realizing it.  FFS!

• Haha 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

In Washington DC there is an unwritten rule that a building shouldn’t be taller than the monument.  
in much the same fashion you shouldn’t have more clubs than Arnold did.  

fortunately, he owned a lot.   

• Like 1

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Jailbird Cruiser.  

I love old blades...and as a lefty good stuff is hard to find so I tend to sit on them. Have had a few of these sets refinished and will hang on to them forever. 

-Mizuno MS 3

-Mizuno TP-19

-Titleist 731 PM

-Callaway X-prototype

-Miura Y-grind

-Nike VR Pro

Then in terms of "modern" clubs I have a set of Srixon ZXII that I'm currently playing with and a set of 2021 Titleist T100s

I have about 8 or 9 Scotty Camerons including a mint condition Napa and 2 old school TeI3s

Wedges - I have one golf bag in the garage with probably about a dozen old wedges from various makers.

Woods - Some reason have the least of these. Have my current driver, a Paradym I fiddled with this season and need to sell, and then an old Callaway Rogue tour head that I just loved and hung on to, I'm sure in some moment of swing darkness I will put it back in the bag. 

image.jpeg.0a805fb15698780bfa1b8698f214c723.jpegRenderedImage.JPEG.a7325cdaaf1773e104cce5c9f946b7d7.JPEG69505456529__EE15C859-EA34-483D-B4BC-139A881D1670.JPEG.62b290eb5f4db7811a1de9cb547a74f3.JPEG

• Like 1

No right or wrong answer, some people like to collect, others like to hoard.  For me if I'm not using it, it's just taking up space and it's too much. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 10/2/2023 at 12:56 AM, MCoz said:

Well this is a good question for me as I have over 60 years of clubs, two rooms. I probably need to do an inventory of some sort. It appears to be close to a couple of thousand clubs and hundreds of special and prototype shafts

Easily more than 200+ wedges and as many or more putters including numerous prototypes. Maybe four dozen iron sets many given to me by the OEMs, one gift set custom made for me from Butch Harmon in the late 90's when he was still working with Cobra (beautiful set of forged blades that have hardly been used and to this day they are in the original box). Another complete set (1 thru PW) designed for Ken Venturi. Two sets custom made special for Greg Norman. One a special Spalding Top Flight blade that he used and another from Cobra that were never sold (only a couple of dozen ever made). I have the set of First Flight blades  used in High School  and a pre- dot set of Ping K-1s from College. (I used the 1 iron for many years beyond the time I played the set (in the end too much off-set). Plus hundreds of drivers, woods and Hybrids, numerous special customs and prototypes most that were gifted to me from the designers, company owners, endorsers, tour and marketing reps.  I have done a lot of equipment testing over the years and I have never felt right in selling stuff that was gifted (and registered) to me. I have gifted much to other up and coming young players with out the resources for a couple of decades. I am planning to give away a ton of useable equipment to a couple of groups, First Tee and another that sets up clubs for veterans just taking up the game. Ironically most of my current clubs in my bag, I have bought myself while much or most of what I own were gifts.  

WOW pretty impressive collection MC!!!

Equally impressive group of contacts in the Golf World.

My garage looks like a golf club bomb went off in it, and I'm down to 1/2 of the 30 plus sets I had in 2018. Couldn't imagine having 2000 plus clubs. 

Well done!!!

I have no plan B 

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60L Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

I’m glad I’m not alone here, I see a lot of love for collecting and playing older clubs. I’ve expanded again by happenstance, lol, a fellow near me cleaned out his garage and sold me two bags and an assortment of clubs for a very reasonable price. The price alone was worth the brand new Sun Mountain cart bag that was included, but I think the real gem might have been the Taylormade Ti Bubble 2 Driver with the old school head over included. I waned a BRNR mini driver, this might be a nice consolation prize. 

Too Much = When appliances break down and you don't have any money left to replace them, but continue to buy new golf clubs.

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

1 hour ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

Too Much = When appliances break down and you don't have any money left to replace them, but continue to buy new golf clubs.

A dishwasher can’t hit a butter cut 3 iron from 227 to 6’ to win a skin.

Titleist TSR4  | Ventus TR VeloCore Blue 6 44.5"

Titleist TSR3 16.5° | Ventus TR Velocore Blue 7 42.5"

Titleist 816H1 19° | Aldila Rogue Max 85H

Titleist 690.CB 4-P | DG S300

Vokey SM9 52.12F 56.10S 60.08M | DG AMT S400

PING Anser | 35"

Ball | Bridgestone Tour BX | Titleist Pro V1

Bag | Taylormade Flextech Light | Jones Original | Titleist Tour Staff Bag