Is professional golf becoming kind of corny?

nikegolfer93

55 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Some of us ( im a  scratch to plus handicap player depending on my kids schedule ) just can’t play in a sim.  If I can’t see the ballflight.  It’s zero feedback for the next move.  I need to see what’s actually happening.  In a sim all I get is straight straight straight.  In real world I make it fall left or right with face angle.  I don’t trust a trackman indoors.  I only use it outside on a grass range.  On a mat , I see spin reductions that are equal to many many more  yards of carry.  Which is stupid to look at.  It doesn’t transfer  to the course. At all.

if trackman is giving you straight then its you not the radar. if your using a sub 500 usd sim then thats only meant to give you swing and ball speed.

1 hour ago, gvogel said:

Booze.

And no lost balls.

And air conditioning.

It thoroughly sucks here in God's Sauna for a lot of the year.  90+°F, 40% RH, dewpoints above 70 for months on end, and often flirting with 80°.  

Mango-scented ice towels can only go so far...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jimecherry said:

if trackman is giving you straight then its you not the radar. if your using a sub 500 usd sim then thats only meant to give you swing and ball speed.

I said trackman .  Can’t buy those sub $500.  I don’t own one. But when I use one it’s outdoors.  On grass. No net.  Where it’s most accurate.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Maybe the pip winnings should only be for golfers in the world ranked 50-500 

I mean does Rory or tiger even bat an eye at winning 10 Mil?

Maybe the trash golf liv needs to disappear 

Maybe they shouldn't dial back the ball but just make some crazy new courses 

More reality golf and stuff would be great for golf.. Not ruining the game in any way.. Just get it back to where it was a couple years ago... Spend your millions on the golfers Jay 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 8:34 PM, nikegolfer93 said:

I actually love the fact that more people are into golf more than ever. I'm the first person to encourage others to pick up the sport. However, there should still be some respect to the integrity of the game of golf. 

Agreed, pure golf is the best game of all and should not need gimmicks to attract attention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

I said trackman .  Can’t buy those sub $500.  I don’t own one. But when I use one it’s outdoors.  On grass. No net.  Where it’s most accurate.  

its not the indoor accuracy of trackman thats the problem its probably your indoor swing is different from your outdoor swing

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jimecherry said:

its not the indoor accuracy of trackman thats the problem its probably your indoor swing is different from your outdoor swing

There’s pretty well documented differences between indoor and outdoor. read some on it here. And search to find volumes more.  Swing doesn’t “ change “.  That’s nonsense.  Swing changes  take years to make. If ones swing actually changed by going inside or outside , teachers would be out of business.  What happens is folks don’t swing as hard with driver.  You’ll see artificially slow speeds coupled with artificially lower spin rates. Which will give a night and day difference once outside for any club.  Arguing it’s same same is crazy.  You need metallic stickers , enough room to month the trackman behind you inside , and on and on , just to get it close.  

Edited by bladehunter

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 11/24/2023 at 9:46 AM, cgasucks said:

Totally agree.  I got into golf in 2000 and that's how it was back then even for me.  No gimmicks or talk of dissention to form another tour and the PGA was held in August, not May.  Just pure golf featuring Tiger, Phil, Els, and Duval in their primes.  The Good Ol' Days.

I agree, except the players I was following were Nicklaus, Palmer, Trevino, Player, and Peete. Yes, I'm old :classic_rolleyes:.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 9:22 AM, KennyP said:

Interesting thread. I'm a traditionalist. I don't like change. I base my calendar around the constants in golf; Kapalua whets my appetite for the new year, the Masters signals the start of my season, and so on. 

I think tradition is one of golf's great strengths and I'd hate to see the governing bodies tear up tradition in pursuit of an audience that's never going to be interested in golf anyway.

I'm also a traditionalist, but I probably don't mind as much. Most of the golf I watch is golf as it always has been. In fact, the DP Tour is on in my living room right now. And it is just basic, meat and potatoes golf. Professional golfers hitting shots.

There is all manner of fluff that has recently accumulated around the fringes of the game. All sorts of politics and deal making (that the media loves to obsess on). TopGolf. LIV. Formula 1 Vegas. Virtual golf. Whatever other sorts of goofiness. But really, they are all merely barnacles growing on the bottom of the boat. None interferes at all with my ability to sit on the deck and enjoy a perfectly good sail (as it were).

I have no problem with anyone getting into any of that stuff. I mean, there's no zero-sum game here, right? All of that frivolous garbage isn't happening instead of traditional golf, but rather, in addition to it. I basically just completely ignore it. 

And so far as the traditional game goes, I feel like I'm in the glory days of being a golf fan. During the current fall/winter/silly season, there's still some golf on (if not always the best). During the actual season it is an embarrassment of riches (relative to any previous era of golf viewership). On a weekly basis I can watch the PGAT, usually the LPGAT and DPT, sometimes the Champions Tour. Sometimes the KFT, and occasionally even Amateur championships. Extensive coverage of the majors. And almost all of them in hi-def. 

So I think things are still quite fine. Though I will admit that now and then when I hear about foolishness like LIV, or the "NetFlix Cup", I occasionally have a Garth reaction ...

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 4

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

41 minutes ago, bobfoster said:

I'm also a traditionalist, but I probably don't mind as much. Most of the golf I watch is golf as it always has been. In fact, the DP Tour is on in my living room right now. And it is just basic, meat and potatoes golf. Professional golfers hitting shots.

There is all manner of fluff that has recently accumulated around the fringes of the game. All sorts of politics and deal making (that the media loves to obsess on). TopGolf. LIV. Formula 1 Vegas. Virtual golf. Whatever other sorts of goofiness. But really, they are all merely barnacles growing on the bottom of the boat. None interferes at all with my ability to sit on the deck and enjoy a perfectly good sail (as it were).

I have no problem with anyone getting into any of that stuff. I mean, there's no zero-sum game here, right? All of that frivolous garbage isn't happing instead of traditional golf, but rather, in addition to it. I basically just completely ignore it. 

And so far as the traditional game goes, I feel like I'm in the glory days of being a golf fan. During the current fall/winter/silly season, there's still some golf on (if not always the best). During the actual season it is an embarrassment of riches (relative to any previous era of golf viewership). On a weekly basis I can watch the PGAT, usually the LPGAT and DPT, sometimes the Champions Tour. Sometimes the KFT, and occasionally even Amateur championships. Extensive coverage of the majors. And almost all of them in hi-def. 

So I think things are still quite fine. Though I will admit that now and then when I hear about foolishness like LIV, or the "NetFlix Cup", I occasionally have a Garth reaction ...

I'm right there with you Bob. We have an embarrassment of riches and we don't want a change for the sake of change based on a problem (real or imagined) imposed on our grandchildren, grandchildren  ........LOL! really!?! Watching golf at home is better than actually being there. Hi-def TV, cold one in the fridge, replay, etc.....Just like an NFL game.

Then four entities told us that the game needed to change:

R&A

USGA

Greg Norman

Phil Mickelson

~Really !?! Golf is growing at a fast pace right now, right up there with Pickleball....🙂

I like golf the way it's presently constructed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bobfoster said:

I have no problem with anyone getting into any of that stuff. I mean, there's no zero-sum game here, right? All of that frivolous garbage isn't happening instead of traditional golf, but rather, in addition to it. I basically just completely ignore it. 

For now Bob, maybe. We can't deny that LIV has fractured golf to the point where the best players now only come together for a maximum of four times a year. So fields at the Players, API & The Memorial are weaker than they were 2 years ago. 

I'm not against evolution. Some things have to change. It's good that the season now runs longer and TV coverage is extremely comprehensive. My worry is the pace of change. In a frantic attempt to win more viewers (that really means make more money), in the last two years we've seen LIV, PIF and now TGL all try to muscle in on the already crowded marketplace. The re-branded DP World tour is about to launch another new season structure to try and regain some traction. 

My fear is some of these will detract from the professional game as we know it. That would be a disaster.

15 hours ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

And air conditioning.

It thoroughly sucks here in God's Sauna for a lot of the year.  90+°F, 40% RH, dewpoints above 70 for months on end, and often flirting with 80°.  

Gotta move out of the butt crack of America 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

You know professional golf is in your personal trouble zone when you’d rather spend time here than watching golf on TV.

Yup.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

15 hours ago, OrangeGravy said:

Gotta move out of the butt crack of America 

But I like money.

It's true; I'm totally not suited for this weather at all.  And I've had 20+ years to acclimate. 

OTOH, I had a project in NYC March/April this year.  I was bouncing, walking to work in 30-40° weather with wind, in just a long sleeve shirt and slacks.  Maybe a scarf if it got really cold.  Feeling like a Labrador getting ready to retrieve ducks.  Not sure I'd have liked playing golf in it (though Liberty National would be awfully tempting and "Nae wind, nae gowlf."), but it was so delightful compared to summers here.

So maybe you're right?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

But I like money.

It's true; I'm totally not suited for this weather at all.  And I've had 20+ years to acclimate. 

OTOH, I had a project in NYC March/April this year.  I was bouncing, walking to work in 30-40° weather with wind, in just a long sleeve shirt and slacks.  Maybe a scarf if it got really cold.  Feeling like a Labrador getting ready to retrieve ducks.  Not sure I'd have liked playing golf in it (though Liberty National would be awfully tempting and "Nae wind, nae gowlf."), but it was so delightful compared to summers here.

So maybe you're right?

West Louisiana,  aka Houston is brutal.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2023 at 11:46 AM, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

And air conditioning.

My son, who was a catcher played a travel tournament there in August and said it is the closest thing to Hell on the planet. 105 and 94% humidty

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Stevens24 said:

My son, who was a catcher played a travel tournament there in August and said it is the closest thing to Hell on the planet. 105 and 94% humidty

I laugh, but I sympathize. This was a weird year, but I don't think it got quite that hot officially. Field level temps though.... 

It'll do 94% (and 100.  Rain) and it can get to 105+, but not usually both at the same time.  Dewpoints rarely live above 80°, vs some of the truly obscene days the Upper Ohio river valley or other parts of the MidWest will hit for a few days.

But our dewpoint will stay in the 70s for months...

How'd he and the team do?

24 minutes ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

I laugh, but I sympathize. This was a weird year, but I don't think it got quite that hot officially. Field level temps though.... 

It'll do 94% (and 100.  Rain) and it can get to 105+, but not usually both at the same time.  Dewpoints rarely live above 80°, vs some of the truly obscene days the Upper Ohio river valley or other parts of the MidWest will hit for a few days.

But our dewpoint will stay in the 70s for months...

How'd he and the team do?

They made the semi's, which is not bad for a team from Colorado. Switched to pedialite from Gatorade. Much of the issue was we come from a climate with 15% Humidity in the summer

• Like 1

On 11/25/2023 at 7:56 PM, golfheaven69 said:

Yes and those playing are becoming an embarrassment with their greed. 

Honestly, this is my biggest issue with it all. If Calloway, and Tiger, and BDC, and whoever else want to make money off those who at least to some degree want entertainment/an experience first and sport second it's Gucci. There's nothing wrong with offering what people want and making a 2nd or 3rd living off of it, as in this case everyone associated with it is already rich/wealthy enough for a lifetime. As long as the rowdiness of those venues & events doesn't make tournaments like Phoenix the norm have at it. 

What I hate seeing are players like Rory who have more money than some small countries whining about not having enough, players like Rahm waving the loyalty flag then jumping ship for a few dollars more, and players who can barely--but do--maintain status and so take home more than 99% of the world will ever have a chance at crying that they deserve a bigger piece of the pie. The last is the most ridiculous; I'd like to see anyone doing the minimum at any other job, especially one that pays six figures plus, go tell the owners that they deserve shares of the company. Still, the riches of the tour have brought entitlement as bad as is has been the norm in the NBA & NFL for a while now and is part of why I've mostly tuned out of them. 

As to the side spectacles of the golf world actually being corny, the young kids, influencers, and celebrities taking part say otherwise. How efficiently and for how long it can be maintained remains to be seen, but with things like butt holding down their own sports networks I'd say the landscape of what can become cool or trendy has simply shifted a lot in the information/digital age. For now at least, in the right eyes it's actually pretty cool to be associated with golf. 

Didn’t read all of the posts, but at the risk of oversimplifying: as money, or the promise of money increases; integrity, or the promise of integrity, decreases. 

Clearly I’m painting with wide brush strokes here, and there will always be exceptions; but it’s basic commodification. You see it in every facet of society.