2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Clubs for a SuperSenior

deadsolid...shank

Need some ideas, thoughts or opinions. 

Dad (84 years old) wants new clubs. At this point driver is probably 100 yards.  I haven’t paid much attention to the equipment in the last several years so I really have no idea what’s out there. 

Looking to find what companies are offering something in the makeup for a very senior? Or where to look. 

Thanks. 

Edited by deadsolid...shank
  • Like 1

Something like the PING 730, Cleveland Halo, PXG XL or the like will help with launch which will help optimize distance and offer forgiveness. 

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

4 minutes ago, puresurfr said:

If you dont mind spending a few dollars, Japan makes a lot of "luxury" irons that are lightweight and long.

My father in law got a set of Taylormade Gloire Irons a couple years ago. You can get them with 45 and 55g ram Speeder NX shafts. He hits them pretty good. The exchange rate couldn't be more favorable too.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Awesome information. I’ll pass it along to him tonight. 

I think he wants new clubs has I don’t think he’s ever had truly new ones.  I had a good friend (old senior tour player) who was my club guy, and when dad started playing at roughly 70 years old, we always went to this guy for his clubs. He generally  knew what would work best. Sadly he passed away a few months ago so that option is no longer available.  Also, he lives in an area where there isn’t a true golf shop and they don’t venture this direction any more. So options are pretty much limited to on line. 

But there should be something workable out of these suggestions. 

45 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Thanks everyone. Awesome information. I’ll pass it along to him tonight. 

I think he wants new clubs has I don’t think he’s ever had truly new ones.  I had a good friend (old senior tour player) who was my club guy, and when dad started playing at roughly 70 years old, we always went to this guy for his clubs. He generally  knew what would work best. Sadly he passed away a few months ago so that option is no longer available.  Also, he lives in an area where there isn’t a true golf shop and they don’t venture this direction any more. So options are pretty much limited to on line. 

But there should be something workable out of these suggestions. 

A high-lofted driver to start.  13-14* with a very light and soft shaft (think 30-40g).  I would imagine something like the TM Qi10 HL, Mizuno ST-X 230 PLTNM, or Big Bertha all lofted up to max around 14* may not be that far off. He's probably going to feel the desire to have a full 14-club bag, but the reality is at that speed, less is more.  He definitely won't need a 3w or 4w, and should probably go to something like a 19-20* fairway to start.  Another fairway wood around 22/23* is going to be much easier to hit than a hybrid, and he should probably use hybrids as far down as they can make them (i.e. at least 30*).  While it is a bit of unconventional wisdom and flies against what most people say (normal wisdom is lay weaker lofts for more spin, etc.), the reality is even the best players in the world still carry their PW about 50% of the carry yardage of the driver.  If we assume that to be true for your dad as well, that means he is hitting his PW on great strikes about 50y carry.  Tell him to look for something strong lofted, with a wide sole that is going to help him launch it up there but get some speed into the strike but with something he can still get with ~50g shafts.  PXG 0211 XCOR/Gen 6 XP, G430 HL, Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metals, Cobra DarkSpeed, XXIO, etc. (or similar prior models) will all be more than fine.  Also, large assumption too, someone at that speed usually has difficulties getting out of the sand, so something like the Callaway Mack Daddy CB, CBX-4, Glide 4.0 with a cavity back and loads of bounce may be a really good option for him.

In my mind, I am thinking a perfect set would look something like this (assuming all 2024 equipment):

Qi10 Max HL 12* lofted to 14* with Bassara E-series '42 A-flex

Paradym AI Smoke Max Heavenwood 20* with Project X Cypher 2.0 40g A-flex

Paradym AI Smoke Max 9w (24*) and 11w (27*) with Project X Cypher 2.0 40g A-flex

Paradym AI Smoke HL 8h (33*) with Tensei Silver 40g A-flex

XXIO '13 or Prime (depending on budget) 9, PW, AW (37-48*) with stock R/A flex 45g shaft

Ping Glide 4.0 W or ES 54* with Alta CB Soft-R 65g.

Edited by WristySwing
  • Like 4

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

1 hour ago, WristySwing said:

A high-lofted driver to start.  13-14* with a very light and soft shaft (think 30-40g).  I would imagine something like the TM Qi10 HL, Mizuno ST-X 230 PLTNM, or Big Bertha all lofted up to max around 14* may not be that far off. He's probably going to feel the desire to have a full 14-club bag, but the reality is at that speed, less is more.  He definitely won't need a 3w or 4w, and should probably go to something like a 19-20* fairway to start.  Another fairway wood around 22/23* is going to be much easier to hit than a hybrid, and he should probably use hybrids as far down as they can make them (i.e. at least 30*).  While it is a bit of unconventional wisdom and flies against what most people say (normal wisdom is lay weaker lofts for more spin, etc.), the reality is even the best players in the world still carry their PW about 50% of the carry yardage of the driver.  If we assume that to be true for your dad as well, that means he is hitting his PW on great strikes about 50y carry.  Tell him to look for something strong lofted, with a wide sole that is going to help him launch it up there but get some speed into the strike but with something he can still get with ~50g shafts.  PXG 0211 XCOR/Gen 6 XP, G430 HL, Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metals, Cobra DarkSpeed, XXIO, etc. (or similar prior models) will all be more than fine.  Also, large assumption too, someone at that speed usually has difficulties getting out of the sand, so something like the Callaway Mack Daddy CB, CBX-4, Glide 4.0 with a cavity back and loads of bounce may be a really good option for him.

In my mind, I am thinking a perfect set would look something like this (assuming all 2024 equipment):

Paradym AI Smoke Max 9w (24*) and 11w (27*) with Project X Cypher 2.0 40g A-flex

XXIO '13 or Prime (depending on budget) 9, PW, AW (37-48*) with stock R/A flex 45g shaft

Agree with a lot of that except the A flex.  100 yard driver dictates pretty strongly an L flex IMO.  

And agree likely doesn’t need 14Clubs, at his low swing speed there won’t be much of a gap between adjacent clubs only 3°-4° apart. 

Edited by st1800e
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, WristySwing said:

I really like the look of this setup, and I do think I’ll recommend the L flex like st1800e said. 

• Like 1

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Good for your dad. Take a look at Tour Edge. They love old guys there.

• Like 3

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Go to https://ping.com/en-us/promo-landing-pages/g430-high-launch

They have HL (high launch) clubs - irons, driver, fairways and driver with 40-45g shafts.

Driver, 5wd, 6H, 7-PW, Ping Wedges

• Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Early 90's, SoCal winter golf, probably low 60's, course is mostly dormant but plenty playable. A friend and I, two twenty somethin's, get paired up with a 50 something and a 70 something for early morning golf. The friendly old guys are really bundled up and in thier cart, we young guns are in ours. Right away, we notice the 70 somethin can only drive the ball about 100 yards, the 50 somethin about 200 in the rough, and we cant wait to show off a 250 yard drives...of course...we twenty somethin's are swinging out of our shoes and slicing off the planet. After about hole six, I notice the other cart is always waiting for our cart to finally scramble up and on to the greens. But these guys are cold and yet patient with us(we are easily 35+ caps and still early in our golf careers).

By about hole 12, in a pleasant yet envious manner, the 50 somethin points out that the 70 somethin has had driving rights off the tee...most of the day. We twenty somethings noticed that too and we just keep on swingin for the fences to try and change that scenario. No dice. That 70 something proceeds to continue putting on a clinic on how to play with what ya got, or at least the best you can with what you showed up with. On hole 18, the three of us are razzing the 70 something trying to rattle him before his tee shot...of course, he again stripes it right down the middle and only 100 yards. He walks up to me after his tee shot and says, "nice easy swing is all it takes".  I'll never forget we had our butts handed to us on the scorecard that day(humble pie).

I want to be just like this man when I'm his age...a good stick...patient...wise...and still playing!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Fellaheen51 said:

New clubs as in a complete set, D - SW?  A thought.  Maltby clubs from Golfworks.  Multiple options at various price points.  Good quality and value.  With a D distance of ~100 yards, thinking ULW shafts and L flex would be in order.  Might be worth a phone call to talk with their CS about super senior options.  "Might not matter much", but just maybe can make things a bit easier for pops.  Depending on what he's transitioning from.  

Would certainly considered this approach vs. a boxed set with limited (if any) configuration options.  If the propensity is for OEM, and no budgetary concerns, head to your LGS.  Ladies clubs.  

Link to their home page as a starting point:   https://www.golfworks.com

I agree with this.  Hard to go wrong with this pak assembled to his specs at no additional charge.

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-m890-combo-pak-maltby-m890-lt/p/pma0321cs/

• Like 1

Golfworks will build them using L flex shafts, but at men's lengths if that makes any difference (we don't know how tall your dad is). Take a look at the M890 line at Golfworks, they have a 14° driver. Go driver, 5h, 7h, 9i, GW, SW, putter, with graphite, L flex to help get the ball up in the air. With the money saved from not buying 14 clubs, buy a new bag. If his playing partners will rib him for not having named OEM clubs, Ping, Callaway, Cleveland and Tour Edge are the best for senior golf options.

Edited by Milfordlefty

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

My dad is in the same boat.  He used to be an average golfer, but now his drives go maybe 100 yards.  I got him a small, easy-to-carry Sunday brand bag.  He doesn't walk, but it is lighter and easier to get in and out of the car.  I also bought him some hybrids.  So he carries driver, 5 wood, 4 hybrid, 7i, PW, SW and putter.  He came to the realization that having more than a few irons in his bag was pointless, so that's why we got him the Sunday bag.  That's all he needs.  He'll tee off with driver and then usually hit the fairway wood or hybrid from the fairway until he gets in towards 60-70 yards.  Then he'll hit his 7i.  He chips with either the 7i or PW and only uses the SW out of sand.  He literally has no use for any other clubs than these.  I don't know about your dad, but a full set of clubs would be a complete waste for my dad.  Maybe consider getting him a senior (or ladies) flex driver and hybrid and then just have him carry a couple of his current irons. 

Having said all that, as a 52-year-old with a slowish swing speed, I am a fan of the HALO irons.  I have a set of the regular Cleveland Launcher XL irons in DW-6i and bought a 5i and 4i with graphite shafts in the HALO model. They make a world of difference to me.

Edited by mrdctaylor
  • Like 4

WITB:

• PXG 0311 XF Gen5 driver (12° set to 13.5°)
  • Adams Tight Lies (2021 model) 16° 3-wood
  • PXG 0311 XF Gen6 hybrid (19° set to 18°)
  • 4 & 5 Cleveland Launcher XL HALO irons
  • DW-6 Cleveland Launcher XL irons
  • 52 & 58 Cleveland Zipcore CBX wedges
  • Odyssey Eleven Triple Track S Putter or Cleveland HB Soft 10.5S
    (depending on which one has offended me less recently)

This must be the only thread on WRX that doesn’t recommend a tour issue 5* triple diamond LS driver with XX flex shaft tipped 3”…

• Haha 4

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

No suggestions, just here to support Dad!

Mine is 86 and until 84 was going pretty strong and was always athletic but ….. suddenly some nagging back/hip issues have intervened more than ever and he’s frustrated he can’t play like he could at even age 80-84. Down to just 9 when I can get there to play, but looking forward to this season!

Hope your dad enjoys the new sticks!!!!

• Like 1