Most overrated and underrated putter brands

ephmen

8 minutes ago, PJE said:

Well all putters do the same thing so I suppose “overrated” and “underrated” is a function of value or price. I think that has already been pointed out.
But, by that metric all of the retail milled putters at $400 + ( Camerons, Bettis, PLDs) are overrated; underrated would be the same design by other OEMs (Mizuno, Cleveland, Wilson).  

Scotty Cameron became the Rolex of the milled market via the prowess of Tiger Woods and aggressive Tour based marketing by Acushnet. There’s nothing special about a Newport 2; it’s an Anser variant.  If Karsten Solheim would’ve had the foresight to mill a putter and get it into Woods’ hands, then the “Art of Putting” and all the Cameron cachet would’ve been non existent.  Overrated is in the eye of the beholder. 

Good point, but PIng were never big on paying pros loads to use their putters. Young amateur Tiger played a stainless Ping Anser 2 pat pend; then used the black Scotty with an insert for the 97 Masters win, and a few others around then. He borrowed O'Meara's spare Anser 2 at the 98 Open and came second with it (O'Meara beat him by a shot - "that's why it's the back up"). Funnily enough it was around then that he asked Cameron to make him his famous Newport 2 so that it would look and feel extremely similar to that A2 (even down to the (almost?) unmilled face), which he put in play from 99 onwards. I'm pretty sure he would had won just as many majors with an OG Anser 2 as with the copy with the red dots - but it certainly made Scotty Cameron's fortune.

Expensive putters look great and feel nicer with a bit of milling and the modern extra headweight, but the old cast Pings still work.

• Like 4
  • PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

6 minutes ago, PJE said:

Well all putters do the same thing so I suppose “overrated” and “underrated” is a function of value or price. I think that has already been pointed out.
But, by that metric all of the retail milled putters at $400 + ( Camerons, Bettis, PLDs) are overrated; underrated would be the same design by other OEMs (Mizuno, Cleveland, Wilson).  

Scotty Cameron became the Rolex of the milled market via the prowess of Tiger Woods and aggressive Tour based marketing by Acushnet. There’s nothing special about a Newport 2; it’s an Anser variant.  If Karsten Solheim would’ve had the foresight to mill a putter and get it into Woods’ hands, then the “Art of Putting” and all the Cameron cachet would’ve been non existent. 
Overrated is in the eye of the beholder. 

Actually, Tiger used Ping putters when he was younger.  In fact, he won the 94 & 95 US Amateur Championships using a Ping Anser.  He went to a Cameron putter and won the 96 US Amateur.  I don't th8ink it was Solheim's fault that he wound up with a Cameron putter.  Tiger and Scotty knew each other from the 1980's when they both shared the same golf instructor, John Anselmo, who was the Head Pro at the US Navy course in California and Tiger and Scotty became friends.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dfeldss said:

Not coming at you specifically, but this take always confuses me. The bolded part is true of every single company that makes putters.

Oh, I agree with you. You could level the same criticism against Tyson Lamb, Toulon, Logan Olsen, you name it. They all turn out Ping Ansers and Ping Anser 2s, occasionally a bit blockier than the original, and then ask you to pay a second mortgage for it because the steel's this, the finish is that, or the whatever's whatever.

If the ball goes in the hole, it's a good putter for you. But the idea that technology's moved on or that you need a new take on a Bullseye or an Anser because the new versions are just better than the originals because they're different? I'm not buying that. I'm not buying the putter either, nor paying a hundred quid for a Golf Pride grip with a fancy logo on it.

• Like 3

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

Overrated: *insert putter brand more expensive than the one you currently use*

Underrated: *insert putter brand that you're currently using*

Scotty Camerons/Odysseys are overrated if you think buying one is going to make you a great putter. I've seen guys who took over 40 putts with a four or five figure Circle T and I've seen guys make everything with a SeeMore FGP that looks like it was dragged behind the back of their car on the drive over to the course. I don't think it's as binary as categorizing an entire brand as overrated or underrated. 

The only thing I really think is overrated is any forged putter (especially blades) with an insert. I cannot for the life of me understand why you would ruin an otherwise nicely milled piece of metal with a cheap insert glued in. Ruins the entire club for me in most cases.  

"If you think the putter you're using will help you, it probably will." - Bob Rotella

• Like 4

I'll agree with the majority as an SC fan, the new stuff is overrated for sure. same vanilla off of the line stuff. no character in any of them anymore. I prefer the old stuff which is what I have. the newest one is a 2008 Studio Select and 2009 Red X5. not bothering with the new stuff. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

31 minutes ago, kiawah said:

Overrated: *insert putter brand more expensive than the one you currently use*

Underrated: *insert putter brand that you're currently using*

Scotty Camerons/Odysseys are overrated if you think buying one is going to make you a great putter. I've seen guys who took over 40 putts with a four or five figure Circle T and I've seen guys make everything with a SeeMore FGP that looks like it was dragged behind the back of their car on the drive over to the course. I don't think it's as binary as categorizing an entire brand as overrated or underrated. 

The only thing I really think is overrated is any forged putter (especially blades) with an insert. I cannot for the life of me understand why you would ruin an otherwise nicely milled piece of metal with a cheap insert glued in. Ruins the entire club for me in most cases.  

"If you think the putter you're using will help you, it probably will." - Bob Rotella

LOL, please someone advise Callaway!!!  I was in the store last weekend just strolling through all of the putters, came across the Odyssey section and found multiple putters on display that had literal plastic pieces as part of the putter.  Not polymer, not composite, but like plastic that you could just bend or crush.  They got the biggest racket going if you ask me.  Not to mention the $450 AI garbage.  I used to like Odyssey....:classic_sad:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

2 hours ago, btyh said:

There's a good group of people that come after scotty because he "copied" ping. But every other brand is immune to "copying" ping. Never understood it. 

But to the debate about cameron and is success and prices. He remains Supreme because of the tour players using his putters. And also the only brand that will custom make you a one off putter. Or just custom stamp a blank putter. No one has come close to compete with him on tour like that. (I want to say tpmills did have a few on tour in the 90s) but that was before my equipment craze. 

Tiger won 5 straight USGA national titles with a cast Anser 2.  Cameron was smart to get a milled putter in his hand at the right time.  That lead me to buy quite a few SC blades along with many others.

This year on the PGA Tour however, only 1 win of 11 was with a Cameron putter.  I think others have come close to 'competing with him on tour like that'.  JMO

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, StoutKing said:

Tiger won 5 straight USGA national titles with a cast Anser 2.  Cameron was smart to get a milled putter in his hand at the right time.  That lead me to buy quite a few SC blades along with many others.

This year on the PGA Tour however, only 1 win of 11 was with a Cameron putter.  I think others have come close to 'competing with him on tour like that'.  JMO

I'm aware of tigers history with ping. Cameron definitely is successful because he was one of the first to mill and had his friendship with tiger. 

I never mentioned wins at all with tour use and Cameron, just tour use from the typical exposure from golfwrx tour photos.

Who are you referring to as "close" to compete with Cameron? 

7 hours ago, ephmen said:

I thought this would be interesting to hear your opinions. Let it fly.

Cameron putters are very overrated 

Cleveland putter are very underrated 

• Like 3

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Overrated: Scotty Cameron(It’s an Anser style putter, not a Newport style)

Underrated: Cleveland. 

• Like 4

PING G430 Max 10.5* Project X Hazrdus Smoke Red RDX 50

PING 425 3H 19Alta CB 75

PING 425 4H 22Alta CB 75

Titleist T200 5i True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist T150 6i-GW True Temper AMT Red Steel

Titleist SM9 Vokey 52*, 56*, 60* Dynamic Gold R300

PING 2023 Anser

Srixon Z Star 

2 hours ago, JamesFisher1990 said:

Over - Scotty, Betti

Under - LAB

How is LAB underrated? They are literally taking over the putter board. Thread after thread of LAB. thousands of new users.  It's no longer in that category of underrated imo.

• Like 4

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

14 hours ago, 5hort5tuff said:

How is LAB underrated? They are literally taking over the putter board. Thread after thread of LAB. thousands of new users.  It's no longer in that category of underrated imo.

Maybe here it's not, but at large... definitely. Go on reddit and show a pic of a LAB putter vs Scotty and then a poll, "which one you playing??" and see what one wins.

I game a LAB too FWIW.

AI Smoke TD 9* -> 10* | Ventus Blue TR 6x

BRNR Mini 11.5* -> 12.5* | Ventus Blue TR 6x

Stealth 2 Plus 18* -> 19* | Accra FX 2.0 380 M5

ZX Utility | Axiom 105x

ZX7 5i | Axiom 125x

0211ST 6-GW | Axiom 125x

T22 54/12 58/12 | Axiom 125x

Bridgestone BX

Mezz Max

I do understand it's less well known...Scotty has been a brand for 30 years though ...Lab significantly less. 

You can't really take away the fact that Labs aesthetics are off-putting to many. That fact alone is a huge deterrent for many. 

Although I only commented on Lab...I really think Scotties are overrated too haha.  I've made the argument many times that Cleveland puts significantly more tech into their putters than Scotty does. 

So...Cleveland is the most underrated imo 

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

Overrated - Any off the shelf putter brand with stock specs that aren't fit for you, but you think will magically make you a great putter after watching some ad or a tour player using.

Underrated - Any brand putter that you get properly fit.

But Scotty's are mostly hype and fanboys. And, I game one...

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet 9° Project X Hzrdus RDX Blue 6.0 60g 

Titleist TSR3 15° shaft Aldila Rogue White 130 80s 

Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 19° Fujikura Atmos Blue 8s

Srixon ZX7 Mkii 4-GW UST Mamiya DART V 120 F5

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° MID 10 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 58° MID 10 DG KBS Tour Custom Series

Scotty Cameron GoLo 7 DB

Taylormade TP5x

I mean, everything is basically TBD... 🙂

2 minutes ago, KGolfCT said:

Overrated - Any off the shelf putter brand with stock specs that aren't fit for you, but you think will magically make you a great putter after watching some ad or a tour player using.

Underrated - Any brand putter that you get properly fit.

But Scotty's are mostly hype and fanboys. And, I game one...

Scotty's and TaylorMade. 

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

SC is overrated only because people realize they still suck after buying one. Then swap it for a $100 Cleveland and a putt “just as good” with it. 

Same argument existed 40 years ago with Matchbox cars and Hot Wheels. Then those cussed China made grocery store cars came out. You know the ones, hanging next to Cap’n Crunch, 5 pack. But mom, they’re not the same. 

We’ve really come a long way. 

🤣🤣

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, BHI 99 said:

SC is overrated only because people realize they still suck after buying one. Then swap it for a $100 Cleveland and a putt “just as good” with it. 

Same argument existed 40 years ago with Matchbox cars and Hot Wheels. Then those cussed China made grocery store cars came out. You know the ones, hanging next to Cap’n Crunch, 5 pack. But mom, they’re not the same. 

We’ve really come a long way. 

🤣🤣

We've grown up and moved on to more expensive toys. Life would be boring with one brand in every category. I would be so mad when I got the value non brand toy Cars from a family member. It was borderline insulting. They were not the same, at all. Lol

1 hour ago, PlatinumNike said:

Overrated - $1000+ “custom fitted” putters

No, no hold up. 

Actually custom fit putters underrated. 

Customs with assumed specs is overrated. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana