T200 , 790 users …. I need your help …. A lot

quine

So, background.  65 years old was a scratch till around 60.  Severe wrist injury at 60 that’s inoperable so I’m hitting the ball nowhere it seems.  Purchased the 245s  thinking they were “the ones” but they weren’t .  Beautiful clubs but I’ve come to the realization slowly that I need more help then they provide.     So,  im

back where I started from.  Between the 790 and t200 which from your experience has the biggest profile (heel to toe) and can help me the most with launch and spin.   Im

open to weakening lofts to reduce offset and adding spin but It’s hard to realize that age and injuries are making what was once a pretty easy game for me … hard.   Thanks in advance.   

I like the looks of the 770s and realize they launch a little higher then the 790s but with a deteriorating game I need the confidence of a slightly larger profile .     That’s why I’m gravitating to the 790 of t200 .   To my eye the 770 is similar in profile to the 245s that I just sold , 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, quine said:

I like the looks of the 770s and realize they launch a little higher then the 790s but with a deteriorating game I need the confidence of a slightly larger profile .     That’s why I’m gravitating to the 790 of t200 .   To my eye the 770 is similar in profile to the 245s that I just sold , 

It sounds like you want something more confidence inspiring. I love the T200. I have a long iron in the bag now. The P790 will be much more confidence inspiring. The T200 is forgiving but it still looks small-ish with a thin topline. To my eye, the T200 looks smaller than the P770, that’s probably not factually correct, just what I see with the minimal offset and thinner topline. If the P770 doesn’t have a large enough profile, the T200 definitely won’t. In my opinion, the P790 is closer to the T350, which could be another option. You could always bend them a 1° or 2° weaker to negate the offset, but then they would be weaker than the P790. 

• Like 1

Ping i210 bent two strong 

Cally AIS TD Max 11.5* Ventus Black TR 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 17* Ventus Black 5x 

Callaway ‘16 GBB 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

Also check out the Maltby TS1-IM from Golfworks, beautiful clubs, reasonable lofts, thin sole👍

Ping G430 Max 10k 9.0 - Alta CB 55 R 

Ping G400 5 wood - Alta CB 65 R

PIng G425 Max 7 wood - Alta CB 65 R

Mizuno CLK hybrid - Tensei CK Blue 70 R

Mizuno JPX 923 FliHi 23 & 26 - Recoil ESX R

Maltby TS1 IM 7-GW - Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap R

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/12 - Rotex 70 wedge flex

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58/06- Rotex 70 wedge flex

Odyessey Eleven Tour Lined

Agree w TS1-M, extremely forgiving but has the look and feel you don’t want to give up. I’m in my 60s, used to be a much stronger player myself pre injuries so feel ya. These are spectacular, to the point where 4 iron is back in the bag. Ignore the cheaper price, point, order a 5 iron to really experience and appreciate the forgiveness of this set.

• Like 1

Keep the advice coming as I appreciate it and am Considering all options.   Anyone all in on the 790 ?   I’m drawn to its profile .  I almost feel like the iron itself might be secondary to how I look at the iron,  whether it inspires confidence and frees me to make a decent pass if that makes any sense to you .  No longer playing tournament or competitive golf.  Just trying to find something that keeps me playing and positive .   

29 minutes ago, quine said:

Keep the advice coming as I appreciate it and am Considering all options.   Anyone all in on the 790 ?   I’m drawn to its profile .  I almost feel like the iron itself might be secondary to how I look at the iron,  whether it inspires confidence and frees me to make a decent pass if that makes any sense to you .  No longer playing tournament or competitive golf.  Just trying to find something that keeps me playing and positive .   

It probably feels like I’m trying to flood and hijack your thread, after reading your responses, it seems like the P790 is the winning ticket. Although those Maltbys look great too. Would it be a terrible idea to buy a cheap P790 demo iron on eBay to try out before you take the full plunge?

4 hours ago, quine said:

So, background.  65 years old was a scratch till around 60.  Severe wrist injury at 60 that’s inoperable so I’m hitting the ball nowhere it seems.  Purchased the 245s  thinking they were “the ones” but they weren’t .  Beautiful clubs but I’ve come to the realization slowly that I need more help then they provide.     So,  im

back where I started from.  Between the 790 and t200 which from your experience has the biggest profile (heel to toe) and can help me the most with launch and spin.   Im

open to weakening lofts to reduce offset and adding spin but It’s hard to realize that age and injuries are making what was once a pretty easy game for me … hard.   Thanks in advance.   

I feel your pain, literally…. Except my injury is the shoulder. The thing that has helped me the most is going to a lighter, softer, graphite shaft. However, if you’re looking to increase launch and spin, the Ping i230 will spin more than those two models and is more forgiving as well. 

Edited by hammergolf

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I have ZX5’s and 2021 P790’s. Compared to your 245’s, the P790’s will spin less. In the longer irons, probably a lot less. Their head size is not larger. Two ideas perhaps…

The shaft selection will matter at least as much as the head. We tend to define our clubs by the head, and particularly as our club head speed decreases, that’s a significant error.

Consider the ZX4 MKII.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

6 hours ago, quine said:

Great question,  and maybe I should be there but the amount of offset ,appearance,  just can’t get my eyes there for a lot of the clubs in that category.   

Of those two, the T200 easiy IMO.  That said wait till you see the new Apex replacements jn late July.  Might be worth waiting 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

The forgiveness in 790 or t200 will be very marginal going from a 245…if you need more forgiveness I’d look at more game improvement like a JPX923 HM.

Titleist TSR3 9º Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S

Titleist TSR1 4 Hybrid Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85S

Mizuno Pro 245 4-PW Dynamic Gold 105 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50º 12F Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 56º 12D Dynamic Gold S200

TaylorMade Spider Tour X L Neck KBS Tour GPS 120

I was fit for both p790 and t200 and the p790 have a slightly larger profile. For me, coming from 14 years of ping G irons, the t200 were just that bit too small a jump for me so i went p790.

Both are excellent irons as were the zx5 I tested alongside them. Now I’ve gotten used to the p790 the t200 don’t look as small so I’d consider them or their replacement next time. If you can fit have a fitting as the shaft is key, but the p790 have the longest blade length.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport Two
Titleist pro v1x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

9 hours ago, brutus27 said:

JPX Hot Metal Pro’s maybe? They have minimal offset and aspects are game improvement.

7 hours ago, Nvd13 said:

923 hmp. Forgiving and best feel in the style of club you are looking for.  

3 hours ago, alexc93 said:

if you need more forgiveness I’d look at more game improvement like a JPX923 HM.

This is what I was thinking as well. With the criteria of wanting more launch/forgiveness plus disliking clunky, high offset irons the Mizuno JPX hits that niche. I would generally not be looking to P790s if you need launch and spin, but I would at least give the newest P790 a look as it's design is a departure from the previous models, much more "low and back" which will help with launch, *especially* if you strike the ball lower on the face. It has one of the lowest CG's of any modern iron so that could be a contender if applicable. 

Otherwise the JPX line, either the Forged or Hot Metal Pro, would be perfect on paper. You could combo them as well, but they tick all the boxes of extremely high forgiveness and fast faces while being much less bulky than other SGI designs. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I am turning 70 in a couple of months.  Like most my age, the little ailments hinder my game.  Over the winter, on a whim (bad day at indoor golf) I ordered a set of the Taylormade Stealth HD irons.  I only played them sparingly due to my huge ego and love of thin irons.  

I pulled out the 6h and 7h, put in the 6i and 7i and started to improve.  Then, I took out my PXG 0211 ST irons and put in the Stealth HD 8-Gw.  THAT was really tough for me to do.  But, I committed to sticking with them for at least 2 months.  Since putting them in play, I've had my first ever hole in one.  Yesterday, I won my first tournament of the season.

I know I'll play the blades on occasion, but I think the Stealth HD's have really improved my game.  Yeah, I know they look "terrible".  But, the results have proved my ego stopped me from playing better golf.

Edited by Soccerrick10
  • Like 3

If you’re looking for increased launch and spin, the Mizuno JPX HL’s are going to be hard to beat.  Unfortunately, they are pretty big with a lot of offset.  Maybe the JPX Pro and bend them weak to increase launch?  You don’t mention what shafts you are playing but some find switching to a light weight graphite in a weaker flex adds height.  That is, of course, dependent upon the player.  
Of the two you mentioned, when hitting them in a launch monitor, I found the T200 to launch higher. 

• Like 1

So appreciative of the responses.   So back to my original question, maybe I’m a little tunnel visioned looking at the t200 and 790.  What I’ve heard in responses is the 790 bigger profile then the t200 but the t200 will probably spin a bit more .  Correct?    An iron i window shopped today was the zx5 mk11 .    In the past I’ve played srixon with nice results ( the old 565 irons). What I like about the looks of the zx5 is it’s pretty big without looking bulky if that makes sense.   But isn’t the knock on that iron is that it doesn’t produce a lot of spin.   Btw,  I’ve moved to reg and lightweight in my shafts to combat injuries.  Currently playing tgi 70 shaft .   After the feedback in this thread, I’m reconsidering whether the 790 is “the one” and maybe the t200 provides some help but doesn’t go overboard in spin reduction .   I feel like my lack of speed doesn’t mix well with some of the newer players distance irons.   With regards to some helpful suggestions re hmp pro. I know it’s a great club but something about it doesn’t fit my eye for some reason.   Maybe I should close my eyes and hit it lol 

8 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Ping i530 is your answer.  Hit them or you didn’t demo the best in that class. 

I have to agree with this. I have had mine right st a month now.   They have put both the T200/350  combo snd the Dynapower Forged on the bench.  Something I didnt think could happen to the DP Forged

• Thanks 1

Vokey

I looked at the i530 today as well.   To my eye it looks a fair bit smaller then the t200. No??  If you’ve had both I welcome your input.   I actually put the 1530 down beside the i230s.    I liked the look of the i230 short irons .  Made me think of a combo , 1530 mid irons and i230 pw, gw .   But again,  it’s the profile I’m not convinced is big enough to inspire the confidence I’m lacking right now . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, quine said:

I looked at the i530 today as well.   To my eye it looks a fair bit smaller then the t200. No??  If you’ve had both I welcome your input.   I actually put the 1530 down beside the i230s.    I liked the look of the i230 short irons .  Made me think of a combo , 1530 mid irons and i230 pw, gw .   But again,  it’s the profile I’m not convinced is big enough to inspire the confidence I’m lacking right now . 

They are close. I’ll have to put them side by side tomorrow and look.  But as a 17 HC i hit both sufficiently well.   I had the G430 and full set of T350 snd my GIR weren’t any better. 

Actually my last round on Thursday i hit 11 GIR with the 530’s and that was from only hitting 5 fairways!  

Vokey

1 hour ago, quine said:

So appreciative of the responses.   So back to my original question, maybe I’m a little tunnel visioned looking at the t200 and 790.  What I’ve heard in responses is the 790 bigger profile then the t200 but the t200 will probably spin a bit more .  Correct?    An iron i window shopped today was the zx5 mk11 .    In the past I’ve played srixon with nice results ( the old 565 irons). What I like about the looks of the zx5 is it’s pretty big without looking bulky if that makes sense.   But isn’t the knock on that iron is that it doesn’t produce a lot of spin.   Btw,  I’ve moved to reg and lightweight in my shafts to combat injuries.  Currently playing tgi 70 shaft .   After the feedback in this thread, I’m reconsidering whether the 790 is “the one” and maybe the t200 provides some help but doesn’t go overboard in spin reduction .   I feel like my lack of speed doesn’t mix well with some of the newer players distance irons.   With regards to some helpful suggestions re hmp pro. I know it’s a great club but something about it doesn’t fit my eye for some reason.   Maybe I should close my eyes and hit it lol 

ZX5 is a GREAT iron. It will have a higher peak than the t200 or p790.

IMG_1957.jpeg

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip