Have you got an entire set of "backup" clubs?

peteman29

My closet holds my backup set of irons, fw woods, putters, wedges and drivers...the shed holds my wife's set...my mid-reliever iron set is a past starter, another is a Salvation Army find (@ a buck a club)...a set of i2 clones with TT Gold Plus shafts that felt so nice I went out and bought a set of GP shafts for my Titleists...now I can use the clones at the range...and use them for traveling...

Had to get a backup for my not easily replaced R510(not TP) tour and after a half-dozen taken for test drives have settled on Mizu MP-001/460 with Graf ProLaunch, which IS replaceable if lost in transit.

HAD to get backups for my cleve 588s now that THEY'VE been discontinued...

And can't seem to part with putters of old...mallets and blades of varying weights and balances...who knows...they may become starters again...

TM SLDR-430/10.5 @ 12°, OEM speeder 57R
08 Burner 3w/5w 49g M/sr flex
Cobra TWS Hybrids H3/H4 A-flex 60g
Cobra SS-i irons Penley Graphite Light-R
Cleve 588-49LowBounce,900-54LB,588-57LB
TM Spider 72M
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1061239-katbirds-bag-of-sticks/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't set out to have a backup set but that's whats happening as I upgrade club by club. I end up keeping my older clubs by telling myself they would be more useful an a particuliar course. In reality I rarely use them again once they're out of my bag, I just can't bar to part with them. The only exception was when I gave away an old iron set I replaced a couple of years ago because I hated them so much.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in a country with cold climate half of the year.

This means we have decent weather half of the year, april to october, - during this period I play with my main bag: Soft carbon forged irons (Mizuno, Hogan & Miura), forged wedges and Scotty putters. Don't hit alot from range mats during the ON season - don't want my forged irons to come out of lie and loft.

Unfortunately we have BAD cold weather the other half of the year, november to march - and this means practising on hard mats, playing from frosty hard fairways and playing on mats in indoor golf simulators and this will cause your forged irons to come out of lie and loft quickly.

Therefore I only play with my backup bag during this period. I have a more fórgiving setup in my backup bag - a more forgiving driver, more forgiving 3 wood and a set of more forgiving CAST irons :crazy: ;)

This means I spare my forged irons during the off season and boost my confidence a bit because I play with more forgiving cast irons in the winter break.

When you have several extra layers of cloths on, swinging precisely is indeed tougher and quite a bit harder.

This is my reason for having a backup bag full of highly expensive clubs but with a bit more forgiveness to them.

In fact I also have a third bag - this is the bag I use when visiting my parents and when on golf vacation. This bag is full of 2-3-4 year old school stuff, but it's still a bag a normal golfer would be pretty proud of (Taylor Made driver, Sonartec woods, Cleveland wedges, Yes putter and Taylor Made LT II irons) :crazy2:

I currently have about 15 sets of irons, 20+ drivers, 10+ 3 woods, 20+ wedges, 6+ putters, loads of golf bags and a few hybrids. It sounds like a lot of stuff to have but it's been collected over more than 20 years. I hardly ever get rid of anything that I am not using and a lot of it has sentimental value so it lives out in the garage.

I even have multiples of some of the iron sets for example I have 4 sets of old Ram Tour Grinds. Two of them are completely worn out, one is getting towards being worn out and the fourth set is brand new, never used. I used these irons for about 5 years and after the first set became badly worn I bought a replacement set, then I found another couple of sets going cheaply so I bought them as backups.

At the moment I have been using a set of 5 year old Precept Tour Preferred's I bought secondhand for about a year, and I like them a lot so I have bought a spare set.

When my son started playing about a year ago it was easy to get him a set of Ping Eye 2's and a TM580 driver and some cleveland wedges, they were just sitting out in the garage. I stuck some softer shafts in everything (I have loads of shafts lying around too) and let him pick out a putter. Whenever someone comes over to visit, there's never a problem if they didn't bring their clubs!

I have 2 sets of TM Ti bubble 2's which were my main clubs for about 5 years. One over here and one I left in the U.S. so I don't have to travel with the set as luggage. After switching to Mizuno MX-23's, I got identical sets and left one in the U.S. as well. Now that I am trying out the MP-60's, I don't plan to get an extra set of these. I will just use these for times when I'm traveling other than to the U.S. At least I know that the set I will be hitting over there or when I'm here are identical. All the way from the driver down to the wedges. I guess it's just the putter that I won't have a replacement for and this can come with me as hand carry luggage if need be.

• 3 weeks later...

When it came time to replace my 12 year old set of Ram FX irons I was offered $150.00 CDN on a trade in. I realized there was no way I could buy a set of irons that I liked for that kind of money, so I kept them. I use them sometimes when my new set (Titleist 804 OS) is getting worked on. Same thing for my old set of Callaway woods. Might eventually bring them and leave them in a retirement condo in Arizona so I don't have to lug them around every time I travel. Bottom line is they're still a great set of irons and theres no way I'm going to get value for them so why not hang onto them.

This is a great topic, many good responses. I am along the theme of several. Have clubs earmarked for my young son for when he picks it up and for visitors from out of town. My back-up bag really isn't for clubs that mis-behave, as all my primary clubs are way better than the back-ups.

Back-up WITB

Cleveland 460 10.5*

Callaway Warbirds 3 & 5 wood

Ping Zing 3-PW

Cleveland 588 56*

Callaway Paradym  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Ping G425   7 - SW   KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

• 5 years later...

Libing in a van, I get mostly gear I find in trash bins. It's not the type a stuff you could sell, assuming you are able to have a EBay count. So, I hab a backup set but I ve not gotten a bag with a decent hadle on it, or a strap. Wow, a strap on a bag would be so great.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

i have at least two or three of everything right now...but not because i want to! just an annoying build up from buying/replacing and lack of selling.

i have one iron set i'll be keeping as a back up...and the rest of the stuff i'll be putting up for sale.

Titleist 910D2 7.75* - TBD
Titleist 910Fd 14.25* - Rombax P95
Titleist CB 710 2i - DG S400
Mizuno MP-14 3-PW - DG S400
Vokey C-C 53/13 & 59/05 - DG S400
Fastback No. 1

I always have a set of game improvement clubs and a set of more "player" clubs.

Right now I have 3 sets, which is unusual.

A set of K15's, i20's, and an older partial MP set I have for my Sunday bag.

[color=#ffa500][size=2]Titleist TS2 10.5* [/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]No 3 wood currently[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Ping G10 21* 7 wood[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Cobra Baffler XL 5H [/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Ping i e1 irons 6-PW[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw 54.14F 58.12K DG S200[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M[/size][/color]
[color=#ffa500][size=2]Seamus Snowtrooper Fescue Sunday Bag[/size][/color]

[quote name='JHR' timestamp='1146665980' post='187528']
I have a few " back-up" sets, i like golf clubs and i like a variety of golf clubs.

I like to experiment with different things and one set would not allow me to do that, and you can't get enough feedback on a set of clubs by just demo-ing them, so i buy a few different clubs to take out and try.

I do also keep some sets, that i find "easier" to play, so when my swing is not just so, i can grab a set of those to use and make my day a little less stressfull.
[/quote]
And how do you know your swing is off, by that time your already out on the course and it's too late..... Never understood this analogy ..... By the time I know my swing isn't good I am 3/4 holes into a round

And BTW to op..... There is no backup sets only multiple sets..... There is absolutely no reason for a backup set unless your a tour player....and even if there was it would be an exact replica of your regular gamers

I think this is just a justification term for addicts....Lol, seriously

No back ups. I don't even understand the concept really. Why would you buy a replacement club if it was worse than what you had already? Its like most things once I get a new toy I am not going to go back to using the old one, assuming you did your homework in the first place and didn't buy a dud.

At times I have had a spare set for visitors to use. Mainly my old stuff, but it never entered my mind to start using any of it again. Most of my old gear gets sold/ passed on.

Pros seem to get by with one bag why can't the rest of us joe's do the same? Sure they are paid to play

I take a while to settle into new clubs, so why would I deliberately chop and change? Kick me out I know, I am not a ho!!

I am not a hoarder. If I've played clubs a long time and they have been favorites I just can't sell/trade them. I have a set hanging on the wall and a set in the bag next to the gamers. I'll probably use them if I put the gamers in for something shafts, grips, loft, lie, etc. I think you should have a set, play them and not switch around, but that's one opinion.

• 2 months later...

It's a disease, I guess.

I have "gamers"
then, backups include...
4 full sets of 'backup' irons
about 15 various wedges, most a new
4 putters
a few fairway woods
a few hybrids
about a dozen drivers

I know, I'm sick, can't help buying more clubs...help!

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

I have a back up iron set just in case something happens to my gamers.
My back ups are:
Apex edge pros 3-PW
Cally Xforged vintage wedges
Any of the three drivers I have in the garage
A nickent 3DX DC hybrid #3
Ping G15 4 wood.
and any of the gazzillion putters around here.
All in a Late '90s Hogan stand bag.
These are also used when I have guests w/o sticks.
When my new MP53's get here next week, the Hogans may be on the auction block though.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

• 1 year later...

BUMP -- bored at work and going home soon due to snow.

Just put together a backup bag that I will be sending to FLA to use the 2-3 times I visit each winter and carry in a Sunday bag...

TM 300 Series 3 wood 15*
Cleveland TA3 Form Forged 3 - Gap Wedge w/ DG S300 shafts
Callaway V-Forged 56* Sand wedge
Wilson 8802 putter

TM R7 425 9.5* driver
Cleveland Mashie+ M1 15.5* hybrid
Cleveland Mashie+ M3 20.5* hybrid
Titleist AP2 4-P irons
Callaway Forged 52* wedge
Callaway Jaws CC 58* wedge
Odyssey Black Series #6 putter

Home set & travel set. Home set in sig, Travel set as follows;

TM R11S
TM R9 3w
TM 09 rescue
TM 2011 TP MC
Vokey 54* & 58*

TM 2020 SIM, Aldila Rogue Silver 60 r
TM 2020 SIM 3w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM 2021 SIM2 5w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM M4 5-PW, TT XP95 S300 
TM EF 47* 52* & 56*, KBS  610, XFT 60*, KBS Hi Rev
TM CB Spider Mallet 

I did, but I kept switching between the two sets and lost consistancy. If I had my Adams bag, I would think I should have brought my PING bag, and vice versa.

I decided to sell one of them and stick with the other until they were unplayable, or I got alot better. Put them both on Craigslist and ended up selling my Adams bag that day. 4 days later I was chosen to go on the #InsideTMag trip, where I got another set of clubs, so I sold what would have been my backup set (PING) and decided to stick wih the TM bag for awhile.

The jury is still out, but early results are promising.

TaylorMade Sim2 9.5* Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 6x
TaylorMade Sim2 Ti 15* Graphite Design Tour AD TP 7X
Mizuno Pro FliHi 3i Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4-GW DG 120 X100

Mizuno T24 54, 58 DG S400 
Bettinardi BB1 Limited Blackout 

#InsideTMag2013 

All bs...only justification to buy or own more s***

dont leave your s*** laying around they wont get stolen...

people can justify anything, but really its just something they tell their wives so they can buy more clubs

I play 5 days a week and never had a need for a "backup"....I do have other clubs but not backup its just another set...

also a true backup would be an exact copy of what your playing so as to keep everthing as consistent as possible. ..

if I travel I bring my set...they are not trophys or elite pieces, they are tools I use that's all..they hit the ground at 80+mph every time I swing...surely they can survive an airplane ride....

I dont worry about theft cuz I never leave em laying around, I dont give a thief a chance...

backup is a word golfers use to justify buying more golf clubs thats it...most only play twice a week or month....surely enough time to repair or replace anything if need be

Sorry OP I am another one of those guys with multiple back up sets.

I have no rationale other than I love golf ... and golf equipment. It is a disease

I had five full sets last year but unloaded two sets of irons (x protos and s57's)

I think I could have 8 or 9 full back up sets if I had more iron sets. I sure have a lot of extra bags, wedges, hybrids, putters, fwys and drivers

The funny thing is I always said I would bring a set of backups if I travelled but I always bring my current line-up

My "primary" back up set is this:

913 driver 'Ahina 70x
913 Fd 18* Fuji Kamo 660TR X
Ping G25 20* hybrid
Ping Rapture J 4 iron s300
Ping S56 DGTI s400 5-PW
Vokey TVD M Oil Can 52, 58 and a 64.07 Oil Can Sm2 Vokey
Yes Natalie

PS my twin has back up sets but one if for his F-I-L and one he keeps at his second home in Myrtle so he doesn't have to lug them thru airports

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

I have a backup set and it was just my old set of clubs. Had to use them on New Year's Day and it was a hard to get a feel for them. Decided to get a backup that has the same clubs in it. Just need to get a set of rocketbladez tours and I am set, other than selling my old ones. And I have a backup bag because I live 30 min from my club and leave my regular set there and keep a backup at the house in case I get an offer to play somewhere else on short notice or if I have to take a client out and don't have time to run 30 min the opposite way.

Epic Flash SZ 9 degree AD IZ 6s
Adams Dhy 18 and 21 Matrix White Tie
Apex Pro 19 5-AW Steelfiber i110s
Mack Daddy 4 54 Steelfiber i110s
High Toe 60 and 64 Modus 120s
Spider X Blue

I have two back up sets sitting in backup bags ready to go. I only have them because I love golf equipment and have a shopping/hoarding problem. I actually probably have enough golf equipment to have a full 8 people play... I have never played using my backup bag. I have lent out the bags to friends though.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I was just about to pull the trigger on a set of back up irons the other night. I've had two other etc of them and sold then before. I was going to. Buy them, then I found a sweet Bettinardi in my local shop for a price I couldn't say no to. I have everything else for a back up bag, just need the irons.

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

Yep I have 2 full sets of modern gamers bags and all. Since I have been on WRX and conversing with the folks in Classic Golf and Golfers I have put together 6 full playable classic sets complete with bags and all. All bags have balls tees and gloves all I have to do is grab a bag and go. I have people wondering what I will show up with this week keeps them on their toes. I thought I was a club hoe until I got on here. I let my wife read to show I was not that bad but she does not mind anyhow she says it could be worse I could be hanging out in beer joints and chasing loose women

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft