Trevino's clubs

dlygrisse

That's the story I remember reading.

He reportedly picked up an A Blade from a pro shop in the Netherlands whilst playing in the Dutch Open and took it back to his hotel room. 'It was upright and had some loft on it' was, I think, Trevino's early appraisal of the club, although something about it had obviously ticked a mental box or two. Enter the hotel room floor, with a characteristically thin Travel Lodge-style carpet over a concrete base, though, and [i]Voila! [/i]A few hearty whacks later (and, probably, a phone call or two to the hotel reception from the bloke in the room below) and it was to Trevino's liking; a good deal flatter and with appreciably less loft on it.

No stainless steel, high precision, [i]Certified by Scotty[/i] bending machines for Trevino, but he went on to win with the thing - including a PGA Championship at Shoal Creek, if memory serves.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

[quote name='farmer' timestamp='1308760485' post='3327162']
I saw him play a couple of times in the mid-70's, and he was playing Faultless irons and a Faultless driver. In the equipment dept, both he and Sam Snead were disappointing. I wanted to see jewels, and instead found them playing clubs, as you say, that looked like they had fallen out of the back of a car.
[/quote]

he played the Faultless Omega golf ball which was basically a softer Top Flight.

I remember using some mid 70S?

• 2 years later...

Watching the Golf Channel telecast tonight, I had to bump this thread.

I caddied for Lee in the summer of 1973, and the description of his old MacGregor driver with the switched out sole plate was exactly right.

But while Lee was under contract with Faultless, he didn't have a single Faultless club in his Faultless staff bag. His irons were Power Bilt Citation Scotch Blades, coated on their backs with more lead tape than I think I have ever seen on any other set of clubs before or after. There was so much lead tape that he could have the "Faultless" logo stamped into the tape and it looked almost like a Faultless set. (Lee had a bit of a grind on the soles so that even the Citation sole logos weren't legible.) His putter was, I think, a Wilson 8813. I recall it not being an 8802, but something close and a bit unusual. Spalding sand wedge. Helen was no longer in the bag. I would have remembered Helen; Lee's story was that he gave the wedge for an auction right after he won the '72 Open at Muirfield.

I recall a recent photo of Lee's clubs in an unmarked simple dark stand bag. Like he was an am. Totally weird, for a major Bridgestone brand ambassador. My recollection is that Lee's current clubs were an almost completely unmatched set of odd orphan clubs. Again; for a guy doing major adverstising for Bridgestone it is beyond weird. But that's Lee. He's one of a kind. A genuine, true genius with a club in his hand.

Great Topic!

Love walking down memory lane with players like Lee and of course the equipment. To put things in perspective, those Scotch blades he played were the most difficult blades known to ever exist.

One of my playing partners back in the 80's loved Lee so much that he carried a 7 wood In his honour! Back then it was odd as we were in our early 20's and it was considered an old man's club :) in his hands it was magic.

As Bob Hope said, thanks for the memories!

Ping G30 9.0 Tour 80X
Ping G25 4W
Ping G30 21 7W Tour 65X
Ping S55 4-PW S400
Ping Eye2 Gorge S, L
Byron Morgan DH89

When he was on Feherty he spoke about a perfect set of irons he had made for him. That were perfect until he drilled the backs of them to change the weight.

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

My favourite memory was during the 1978 Open at St Andrews. I was standing behind the green at the 17th (the Road Hole). The flag was about 10 feet directly behind the cavernous Road Hole Bunker. Trevino was in the middle of the fairway after his drive. When he hit his second there was a collective gasp from the crowd as the ball flew straight right over the OB fence by the Jigger Inn. "He's shanked it!" was the cry. At this point the ball started turning over and landed on the extreme right edge of the green travelling at right angles to the hole direction. It rolled up to 3 feet from the hole for an easy tap-in 3.

Pure genius!

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

[quote name='ehardman' timestamp='1399232716' post='9230121']
My favourite memory was during the 1978 Open at St Andrews. I was standing behind the green at the 17th (the Road Hole). The flag was about 10 feet directly behind the cavernous Road Hole Bunker. Trevino was in the middle of the fairway after his drive. When he hit his second there was a collective gasp from the crowd as the ball flew straight right over the OB fence by the Jigger Inn. "He's shanked it!" was the cry. At this point the ball started turning over and landed on the extreme right edge of the green travelling at right angles to the hole direction. It rolled up to 3 feet from the hole for an easy tap-in 3.

Pure genius!

[/quote]
What? Lee Trevino hit a big old hook into the Road Hole green? Shotmaker!

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

[quote name='Croonie15' timestamp='1399250288' post='9231823']
Great video here of Lee working his magic in real time

http://youtu.be/6lz4HDoGNXs
[/quote]

Croonie?!

Ping G400 MAX 9* Rouge Silver 125MSI 60-TX
Ping G400 Stretch 13.5* Rouge Black 110MSI 80-TX
Ping Crossover 18* Tour 90-X
Ping i200 4-P KBS Tour 130-X
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*,54* SS 58* TS KBS Tour-X
Ping Sigma G Tyne H
Ping Hoofer
Titleist ProV1X

I played with him in the Bell South senior event in Nashville, Tn. in the early 90's and he was using old Topflite tour irons, Taylormade driver, Wilson wedge and Odyssey blade putter that looks like an 8802 but it had a very light swingweight of B9 -C0. He told me he wanted a light putter so he would go again and hit the ball. We were standing around the equipment trailers talking with a friend of mine who actually won the tournament that year, Jim Ahern, and I said it would be nice to go into those trailers and get what ever you wanted. Trevino looked at me and said, Son if they didn't bring it with them, they are not going to find it in there. So true.

• Like 1

I got a chance to use one of Lee's set of irons one summer. A good friend of his played at our club and he could not hit them so he let me try them. They had such a sharp grind on them that you could shave with them. I am thinking that's why he had so much lead tape on them which these did. The grind took off so much weight.
Stout heavy shafts. You could really do anything with these irons with that grind. Eventually I gave them back, in reality they were too heavy to play consistently, if you were on they were great, but if you were off they would knock your fillings out. Anyway its a nice memory to be able to play with one of his sets.

• Like 2

[quote name='That Bob Guy' timestamp='1399803447' post='9272323']
Really? I would have never thought that of the man.
[/quote]

I'm sorry, I'm not usually a participant in bashing players. Trevino was always my favorite player, and one I looked up to, until I met him. I've always hoped my encounter was an anomaly...

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Not unusual. You love the character, Lee Trevino, you see on TV.

The individual you meet in person, Buck Trevino, is an entirely different person. There's an edge now to the bitterness from not being loved and respected like Palmer and Nicklaus.

If you saw the Legends Senior tournament on TV recently, where Nicklaus, Player, and Trevino were paired together as a team, all you had to do was watch the expressions on Nicklaus and Players faces as Trevino did his act.

In their golden years, even they appeared tired of the act.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

[quote name='texcrom' timestamp='1399822321' post='9273291']

The individual you meet in person, Buck Trevino, is an entirely different person. There's an edge now to the bitterness from not being loved and respected like Palmer and Nicklaus.

If you saw the Legends Senior tournament on TV recently, where Nicklaus, Player, and Trevino were paired together as a team, all you had to do was watch the expressions on Nicklaus and Players faces as Trevino did his act.

[/quote]

Texcrom, I did watch the event, and enjoyed it very much. If I may, I would like to relate a more positive story. Same day I met Mr. Trevino, as I was the starter at a Champions Tour event in Minneapolis, 1996. I got to meet everybody, and there were MANY incredibly nice players who treated me with the same respect I treated them. David Graham was also one of my heroes, and a player I wanted very much to meet. I was cautious as he didn't have a very friendly reputation. He was totally the opposite, very nice, and seemed to genuinely appreciate my interest in meeting him. I probably even spoke to him at a time that I shouldn't have, but he was extremely kind and thanked me. David Graham made my day. To this day, I still contact him once in awhile, like last week when we got to watch him on TV. He always finds the time to respond and say hello. I'm an old man but still a kid when it comes to looking up to my boyhood heroes. :-)

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[/quote]
Although I didn't notice Player's or Nicklaus' faces...it was evident that Trevino was stealing the show, conscious of it, or not.
What a shame.

[quote name='kevcarter' timestamp='1399823297' post='9273361']

[/quote]

Texcrom, I did watch the event, and enjoyed it very much. If I may, I would like to relate a more positive story. Same day I met Mr. Trevino, as I was the starter at a Champions Tour event in Minneapolis, 1996. I got to meet everybody, and there were MANY incredibly nice players who treated me with the same respect I treated them. David Graham was also one of my heroes, and a player I wanted very much to meet. I was cautious as he didn't have a very friendly reputation. He was totally the opposite, very nice, and seemed to genuinely appreciate my interest in meeting him. I probably even spoke to him at a time that I shouldn't have, but he was extremely kind and thanked me. David Graham made my day. To this day, I still contact him once in awhile, like last week when we got to watch him on TV. He always finds the time to respond and say hello. I'm an old man but still a kid when it comes to looking up to my boyhood heroes. :-)

Kevin
[/quote]

Great story, Kevin.

I'm an old guy also, and have been fortunate to play in several pro-ams over the years. Played with guys from my generation, guys everyone would recognize including major champions, and never had a bad experience. Unfortunately, I did witness some "bad experiences" for others, who were either participants, or in other cases volunteers related disrespectfully..

Guess it's just the way the world is.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

[quote name='texcrom' timestamp='1399849648' post='9275455']

[/quote]

Kevin
[/quote]

Great story, Kevin.

I'm an old guy also, and have been fortunate to play in several pro-ams over the years. Played with guys from my generation, guys everyone would recognize including major champions, and never had a bad experience. Unfortunately, I did witness some "bad experiences" for others, who were either participants, or in other cases volunteers related disrespectfully..

Guess it's just the way the world is.
[/quote]

Cheers Tex!

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[/quote]

Kevin
[/quote]Very cool story. Thanks for sharing. I have been both pleasantly surprised and the opposite. I think it is good to share our positive experiences. The negative always finds its way out. I feel like there isn't enough emphasis on the positive encounters.

Cheers

TSR3 Driver 8.25*
TSR3 3W 15*

TSR2 7W 20*
Miura TC-201 4-PW
NCW 55*, 60*
Bettinardi SS16
TP5x