2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

I am sure my story is common among PING players but I had a set of i5's since they came out. I tried a set of i20's based on reviews but they lasted about half a season and I was back to the i5s. I just got a set of G25's and will not go back to the i5's; in fact they were sold on ebay. The g25 is the closest thing to the i5s I have felt but with better forgiveness and length. Amazing irons, I hope you all have the same experience.

[quote name='Mspits' timestamp='1367756345' post='6973240']
I am sure my story is common among PING players but I had a set of i5's since they came out. I tried a set of i20's based on reviews but they lasted about half a season and I was back to the i5s. I just got a set of G25's and will not go back to the i5's; in fact they were sold on ebay. The g25 is the closest thing to the i5s I have felt but with better forgiveness and length. Amazing irons, I hope you all have the same experience.
[/quote]

That is a glowing review considering the i5 has an almost cult like following and are iconic class.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1367753338' post='6973146']
[quote name='mantan' timestamp='1367718651' post='6971856']
[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1367711022' post='6971340']
I hit G25's today, great irons, looks much improved over G20. The irons were stupid easy to hit, tried to hit one bad, didn't manage even with the shittiest over the top lazy stab they flew straight and high. Sick.
[/quote]

Fresh sleeves and sticks? did you grip it and rip it?
[/quote]

Sadly there's nothing in my swing that could remotely be associated with "ripping." 7I went about 150, but it was straight, time after time.
[/quote]

When I read your original post, I had this guy's voice in my head...sorry, I'm sure you're not like one of those dudes! :)

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2peQhaYn6A[/media]

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1367758822' post='6973350']
[/quote]

That is a glowing review considering the i5 has an almost cult like following and are iconic class.
[/quote]

Very high praise. Not sure I'm quite there yet. I played the i5's for a long time before buying a set of i20s last year. But after a 48 hour demo with the G25s, I traded the i20s in and ordered a set of G25s.

Played a charity event Friday with the my trusty i5s and remembered how much I love them. They are REALLY good irons. I don't think I'll ever get rid of them.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1367795284' post='6975648']
Oh no, that Izod commercial. I officially disowned the single Izod golf shirt I have after seeing it.
[/quote]
After seeing that commercial, I am never buying izod again. Yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Off topic, but I'm forced to say this: I want to punch every single guy in those iZod commercials right in the face, and that includes Webb Simpson for just being in there. Dudes in there are my definition of posers/dbags.

Glad I'm not alone.

BTW, G25s are incredible.

TITLEIST TSR2 TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

3w broken

PING G430 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i230 5-PW MODUS 115S

TITLEIST SM9 50F 54D 58D S200

LAB DF3 BLK, 73°, 35", Heavy

[quote name='BCULAW' timestamp='1367974029' post='6988728']
Alright. So, after following this thread for a while, my interest is piqued. I am preparing for the PATS in 3 weeks and all I can think is that these might give me a bit of an edge with the added forgiveness. Someone talk me off the ledge!
[/quote]

Sorry but I would suggest you leap, head first. Maybe 3 weeks before PATS is not a good idea but I got mine yesterday and slid right into them just fine. I was not going to do a:review so soon but I will give a few details. I am a 10 hcp , 55 yrs old, drive the ball well, solid short game and putter and I shoot a number of rounds in the 70s and some in the low 90, iron play can be hot or cold..

After they arrived yesterday afternoon I went straight to the driving range and hit a jumbo bucket, had so much fun a I hit a second jumbo. These are truly forgiving but not only that they are accurate and consistent and they feel good. Yep I said it and guess what I played most of last year, MP32 sprinkled in some Hogans and MP 53. Hit the G25 flush and they really feel great, CFS shaft is super smooth.

I went out and played 36 holes today and I hit a pile of great shots that were covering the flag. Even finesse shots, I had three knock down, low flighted shots into a good head wind that all landed within 5 feet of the flag. The feedback from center face hits on those shots were very bit as good as the forged I have played, I knew exactley how far and how high they were going as soon as they came:off the face. I could go on and on but you get the idea.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport

GBall,
Did you see any distance increases from your other sets? I know they are not that strong of lofts, but how are the ball speeds? Thanks.

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

The g25's are very good. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a set, but I'm torn between these and the Ansers. I'm a 6 and can handle either one. I've read all kinds of reviews, hit them both extensively and just can't decide. I'm not close to the player that the OP (Instant Offense) is and he seems to think that the G25's will improve his scores, so I guess this should be a no-brainer........guess I'm a little short on brains at the moment. LOL
I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow. Going to hit them one more time

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1367976912' post='6989088']
GBall,
Did you see any distance increases from your other sets? I know they are not that strong of lofts, but how are the ball speeds? Thanks.
[/quote]

Definitely picked up distance, 8 -10 yards. Even though I saw that on the range yesterday I had a hard time believing it during my first 18. When I finally trusted it things went very well and shot an easy 79. I was pooped by then because I walked the last 18. It was effortless distance which is what I was looking for.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport

I decided to take the plunge. 4- pitching wedge, Blue Dot, CFS stiff shafts. I took the 7 iron out on the course yesterday to demo against my current gamers. As expected, the ball flight was much straighter with far less dramatic curvature.I was hitting tight draw aftet tight draw and even picked up a little distance. I was a little surprised, but these behaved very well in the wind. I am a little concerned how the 4 iron is going to behave for me as I do tend to spin the long irons a little bit. I will certainly update this thread as I get some time with the entire set.my goal was to find a point and shoot set now that I am looking to play some competitive golf. This set certainly show some promise.

Just finished up the Open Qualifier. Wild round. Bogied my first 3 holes. Was 4 over through my first 5, then settled down for a while. Went par, birdie, par, birdie to finish the side at +2. Then immediately doubled my 10th hole. Birdie, par, birdie, par, birdie from there to get to +1 with 2 to play. I then airmail the green and short side my self. Another double after leaving myself a lightning quick 15 footer. Par on 18 for one of the worst 75's ever. 5 birdies and 75. Feels like a waste.

I am in the market for i20's - especially since the price drop - but I decided to give the G25 a shot too.
I am a 1HC and play 690.CB. I borrowed a 7 iron with CFS X in i20 and a 7 iron with CFS S in G25. That is as close as they could get to my fitting of i20 with zz65.

I hit a bucket with my 7 iron and the Pings.

I warmed up with mine and then went to the G25. Maybe it was the shaft - very light and soft but I could not hit it solid. It is better looking than the other G series irons, but I could not hit it and don't think it would be much better with a different shaft. It also was very beat up already with ball marks. I like the finish color but it may wear fast. Not sure.

Then to i20. All I can say is I am ordering these today. Long, straight and forgiving. Great feel too. I honestly thought they felt better than my 690's. It was just a solid feel. I could still tell when I hit one off center, but it still almost went its intended distance. These irons are very good. At least it fit me.

I think the G25 will be a great iron for thousands of people. It is a great looking SGI club. It just did not suit me.

TItleist 917 D3 Diamana D+ 70s
Ping G 25 15* Diamana D+ 70s
Callaway Apex 20* Kuro Kage
Titleist 714 CB 4-PW DG s300
SM5 56/60 M Grind
Studio Select Newport 2

I know this topic is for and by LOW HC's,but just wondered if any of you tried out the Graphite TFC shafts with the G25's.
If yes, how do these feel compared to Ping's Light weight steel offerings.

I'm only a 15HC and senior who needs R-flex light weight shafts. Currently playing Srixon i-701 irons with Aldila NV 85-R shafts.

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

Between this and the epic G15 thread, sounds like game improvement Pings and stiffer shafts are a nice combo. When my game is good enough, I'd probably go that route and get proper fitting and adjustment. I like the idea of a set of clubs you can grow with and really learn to play with.

TaylorMade R580 10.5* & 15*
Cobra Amp Cell 3-4H
Cobra Amp Cell 4-GW
TaylorMade ATV 54* & 58*
TaylorMade Ghost Spider

I meant to write last week after my round - but I thought after playing yesterday was even better.
Played our regular course and I seemed to warm up a little faster than I usually do.

Shot an 84 with 10 GIR, 4 Doubles, 6 bogies, 2 birdies.
Two of the doubles were on par 5s, and I through two more shots away on duffed chips.

Driving was a strength, and I'm starting to control the approach shots into the greens. There is a confidence with the g25s - knowing that I will hit a good shot every time I set up.

I have 4 rounds in with these and the more I play them the happier I am. The forgivness is a given, that is what G series are all about. What has really suprised me is the accuracy and consistentcy of flight. I was always of the players forged camp that said the big advantage with that type of club was it's consistentcy, well same here with the G25. I think it is even better for those of us that are not perfect ball strikers, a larger sweet spot gives a margin for error with the same results.

I played in our league yesterday, on and off rain, cold and very windy, 15 - 20 with gusts to 35 mph. The weather was so nasty most members did not play. I shot an 83 and as a 10 hcp in that kind of weather on that course I was very happy.

I continue to be amazed at how these will hold their line through the wind. No trouble hitting knock downs and low punch shots, even some high 4 and 5 irons held their line well. I have pulled my 4 hybrid and am playing the 4 iron instead. That hybrid has been in the bag for 5 years and I would not play irons above a 5. That just about says it all in terms of ease of use for these irons.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1367758822' post='6973350']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I have owned 35+ sets of top of line irons including i5,g10,i15,s56,g20 and the i5s I got from a Pros personal stash )WRX 3-pw S300} I keep as back up I don't think I will ever part with Just played them after maybe a year as I transitioned from X Hot Pros to 588 s and their as good and true as ever. I demoed the G25s and they didn't light my fuse but glad you have such a good experience with them. Seems I remember the same or even more so good reviews of both G15s and G20s . Let's face it the G series simply works. I will probably give them another spin if the 588 ( 4-5 MT,6-pw TT) don't work out as the g25s were my other option. My only personal issue is with every G series set I own I eventually and rather quickly tire of looking at them at address and even though the 25s are a slimmer profile I could see that potentially happening again, but that's my issue. Enjoy your new sticks.

I have a question about turf bounce since you brought it up. I am a 4.5 handicap and play G10s. Once summer rolls around here in the South the fairways become pretty stiff and my impact wants to bounce instead of take a divot. Does the G25 have less bounce than the i20? I've been told the i20 will bounce a lot less than my current set.

Ping G30 10.5 Driver Tour 80 75g S
Ping G30 5-wood TFC 419F 57g S
Ping i25 3-UW irons KBS Tour S
Ping Gorge 54SS, 58SS KBS Tour S
Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, ProV1X
WITB Link

[quote name='puttitin' timestamp='1368121545' post='7000252']
I know this topic is for and by LOW HC's,but just wondered if any of you tried out the Graphite TFC shafts with the G25's.
If yes, how do these feel compared to Ping's Light weight steel offerings.

I'm only a 15HC and senior who needs R-flex light weight shafts. Currently playing Srixon i-701 irons with Aldila NV 85-R shafts.
[/quote]

In addition to testing 7 irons with different shafts on a launch monitor and on the range, I also played two complete rounds with G25 demo clubs. One with the CFS stock steel shaft and one with the TFC stock graphite shaft, both in R. The graphite shafts felt better, were longer, more stable and much to my surprise gave me a more penetrating flight and none of the ballooning issues I had with the CFS R. However, after more testing, I realised once again, that my swing is a lot more consistent with a mid-weight shaft, so I decided on Dynalite Gold XP in R.
I hope that the clubs arrive Friday.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

[quote name='djaehning' timestamp='1368553177' post='7033708']
I have a question about turf bounce since you brought it up. I am a 4.5 handicap and play G10s. Once summer rolls around here in the South the fairways become pretty stiff and my impact wants to bounce instead of take a divot. Does the G25 have less bounce than the i20? I've been told the i20 will bounce a lot less than my current set.
[/quote]

In the time it took you to write this, you could have gone to ping.com and looked up the bounce specs. Sorry to sound like a wise a** but can't help myself sometimes.

BTW, i20's have a lot of bounce for a players iron. Too much? Doubt it, unless you are playing off hardpan all the time.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1368566472' post='7035208']
[quote name='djaehning' timestamp='1368553177' post='7033708']
[/quote]

In the time it took you to write this, you could have gone to ping.com and looked up the bounce specs. Sorry to sound like a wise a** but can't help myself sometimes.

BTW, i20's have a lot of bounce for a players iron. Too much? Doubt it, unless you are playing off hardpan all the time.
[/quote]

You are right. I just compared specs between my G10, G25 and i20 and to my surprise my G10s have the lowest bounce of them all (i20 highest of the 3)...not what I expected. Summer fairways can often reach near hardpan conditions here. Man do I hate hardpan. Bring on the rain!

Ping G30 10.5 Driver Tour 80 75g S
Ping G30 5-wood TFC 419F 57g S
Ping i25 3-UW irons KBS Tour S
Ping Gorge 54SS, 58SS KBS Tour S
Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, ProV1X
WITB Link

[quote name='Instant Offense' timestamp='1366763306' post='6904027']
A little background... I'm an assistant professional and golf shop owner. Been playing for about 12 years and play less now than I ever have. My handicap is fluctuating between +3.5 to +4.5 and I've been playing well lately. Other current iron sets that I own and love are the 2012 Anser's and Titleist 712 AP2's. Those two sets are the most perfect sets of irons that I have ever found for my game and God knows I have tried them all. I had a stint with the G20's last year and loved those, but eventually the fat soles and sub par turf interaction (for me) forced me to let them go. On to the good stuff...

I ordered myself a set of 3-W G25 with KBS Tour X flex at standard length and lie. They arrived a couple days ago and I have got the chance to play two nine hole rounds so far with them. Our course isn't hard (71 course rating, par 71, 6600 yards), but there is alot of trouble off the tee. The only time I have hit a bad shot with these was in a tight layup on the 3rd hole I played with them. I was expecting the offset to cause me to hook a 6 iron and I left it out to the right. Other than that shot these irons have been absolutely superb. Almost every shot is high, but not ballooning and dead straight with minimal curvature. They hold their line better than any iron i have ever hit. The crazy thing is I find its also easier to work these irons. Since they want to go straight a hard draw or a hard cut swing produces soft movement in either direction and on command. Its super hard to overcook the ball in either direction with these. The turf interaction on the 25's is much improved over the G20's and the short irons are very i5-ish. These don't seem to ever bounce off the turf like the G20's did. I honestly can't say enough about the versatility of these irons. The 3 iron is way better than any hybrid I have ever tried. It's like the G20's and the I20's had an attractive, talented, and intelligent baby. In the 18 holes that I have played with these I have hit 14 greens not missing any by more than 5 yards and made 9 birdies with a ridiculous (for me) proximity to the hole.

Bottom line... Do yourselves a favor--- suck it up and go try these on a golf course. The offset WILL NOT make the ball go left and the new darker finish hides it better than you would think. I honestly think that 95% or better of the golfing population would drastically improve their scores if they made the switch. Simply amazing golf clubs and a shining example of modern golf technology. My Ansers are a whole lot sexier, but you can't argue with better scores.
[/quote]w/o a doubt more people would improvegaming more forgiving irons.....i currently game 825 pro's, shoot mid 70 and these have helped my game immensley....fu1nny how many good golfers looking for an advantage and how many mid to high looking to make the game as difficult as thry can