Hitting/killing animals on the course

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1383331551' post='8089158']
Having learned as a child about killing animals and hunting "only" to put food on the table; I grew into a lifelong hunter of small and big game. What's interesting about threads like this is perspective. So many people get all squirmy about the killing of all sorts of animals. Sometimes killing is a necessary evil, and it always comes with remorse. Imagine what law enforcement and our military men and women feel like when they pull the trigger...

Swamp donkey's ( :lol:) elk and deer, among others in rut, can be very deadly animals.
[/quote]

Which is why anyone who talks casually about their capacity kill another human being....

...has either NEVER actually done it, or has something PROFOUNDLY[i] broken [/i]in their head.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1383334345' post='8089350']
[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1383331551' post='8089158']
Having learned as a child about killing animals and hunting "only" to put food on the table; I grew into a lifelong hunter of small and big game. What's interesting about threads like this is perspective. So many people get all squirmy about the killing of all sorts of animals. Sometimes killing is a necessary evil, and it always comes with remorse. Imagine what law enforcement and our military men and women feel like when they pull the trigger...

Swamp donkey's ( :lol:) elk and deer, among others in rut, can be very deadly animals.
[/quote]

Which is why anyone who talks casually about their capacity kill another human being....

...has either NEVER actually done it, or has something PROFOUNDLY[i] broken [/i]in their head.
[/quote]

As much as I agree, its interesting you singled out that aspect, and not the part that's germane to this thread.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

What about people that hit at Deer, groundhogs, and Fox intentionally while on the driving range? The local range I go to has all three on a regular basis. The deer are the worst. They'll just cruise on out and stop, usually right in the area I seem to be hitting. It blows my mind how balls are bouncing all around them and they basically ignore them. Now for the record, I don't try to hit them, but I'll be darned if I am changing my target if I am working on something at a particular distance. Of course, when they do make there way out, every chopper who thinks he is Happy Gilmore starts firing away in their direction. Fortunately for the deer, accuracy is not their forte. Maybe the deer are smarter than what we think? They know they'll take one off the melon if they stay in the woods, but if they stand out in the open, the stupid humans don't stand a chance of actually hitting them.

When letting others hit up on Par 3's, don't you feel safer next to the pin verses standing 20-40yds right or left of the green... I know I do. :lol: If you haven't been watching BB, note how many contestants miss the green on Par 3's, no less from 140-170yds ...scarey. :)

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I hit a deer once from the tee box on a par 5. The tee box is set back into the woods, and I wanted to take my ball along the tree line, high draw plays perfect on the hole. Since it was a par 5 pulled out one of my LD sticks 6.5xx speed. About halfway down my down swing my partner yells wait. At that point it was to late, 20ft in front of us a deer had come running out and the ball hit it squarely in the side. It fell over for about 5 seconds and limped back into the woods. I sat out the remaining 3 holes because I didn't feel like playing the rest of the round after that

Never hit an animal but we were playing in a scramble one day and a little fawn came running down out of the woods to the greenside where we were putting. It was breathing heavy and staring at us. Then it just fell over dead. Apparently there was some disease going around with some of the deer population and this little guy got it. It was one of the saddest things I have ever seen.

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75X 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

Killed a green Deere with a stinger 2 iron once :) , guy had nerve to mow center line of fairway in a.m., seriously, I enjoy seeing wildlife on a beautiful course, know how to steer clear to avoid dangerous conditions, and can not imagine willfully causing harm.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

I wouldn't have qualms about killing a poisonous snake in my area if I came across one.

Never killed an animal on course but in Florida I've rolled one up next to an alligator in the fairway. Probably within a couple of feet. After about 10 minutes of waiting in the cart in the fairway (safe distance) it made its way off the fairway. Made me nervous.

hit is with so much authority
that when you find it
and it sees you, it is trembling.

[quote name='OneBallShort' timestamp='1383232651' post='8083468']
I am not effected by the death of animals while on the course.
[/quote]

It's "affected" not "effected".

This thread has to be ranked in the top 10 most bizarre threads of all time……not only on GolfWRX, but on the entire internet! The thing that amazes me is how much attention it has received.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

Why no qualms about killing snakes? If it were self defense I would have no problem killing them but I wouldn't go out of my way to kill it.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Black 6x
Titleist TSR2 15* Ventus Blue 7x
Titleist 818H1 21* Graphite Design AD-DI 105x

Titleist T100S 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 48-10 F Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 54-12 D Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist Vokey SM9 60-08 M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

TaylorMade Spider GT
WITB Link

Our local muni is a hot spot for wild life. Ducks, geese, deer, a couple of gators, ect. Was on the practice range in the spring when a gaggle of geese decided to make a low approach fly by just as I had drilled a 5 iron. Said range ball impacted with ones left leg, a loud honk sounded out as the bird fell to the ground. It's been hanging around limping all summer, but making a recovery. Needless to say the goose and I acquired a new nickname. Chester, after Dennis Weavers Gunsmoke character.

[quote name='sanjaygolf' timestamp='1383417789' post='8092860']
Why no qualms about killing snakes? If it were self defense I would have no problem killing them but I wouldn't go out of my way to kill it.
[/quote]

Agree...wouldn't go out of my way but if I'm in the rough and I hear a rattle then I'm sorry Mr snake but if the whole staying still and freezing bit doesn't seem to be working out then you're done.

hit is with so much authority
that when you find it
and it sees you, it is trembling.

[quote name='sblack5' timestamp='1383433162' post='8093644']
[/quote]

Agree...wouldn't go out of my way but if I'm in the rough and I hear a rattle then I'm sorry Mr snake but if the whole staying still and freezing bit doesn't seem to be working out then you're done.
[/quote]

Yeah i mean animals that can kill you, i mean if you feel threatened you gotta do what you gotta do. I mean if i'm camping and a bear comes after me, i'm pulling out my trusty mace and throwing down.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1383433566' post='8093660']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah i mean animals that can kill you, i mean if you feel threatened you gotta do what you gotta do. I mean if i'm camping and a bear comes after me, [b]i'm pulling out my trusty mace and throwing down[/b].
[/quote]

Great idea, let me know how that turns out if it ever happens. I've sprayed dogs with far more powerful pepper spray than the public can buy and it generally just ticks them off even more.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

[quote name='Thug Hunter' timestamp='1383442349' post='8094196']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah i mean animals that can kill you, i mean if you feel threatened you gotta do what you gotta do. I mean if i'm camping and a bear comes after me, [b]i'm pulling out my trusty mace and throwing down[/b].
[/quote]

Great idea, let me know how that turns out if it ever happens. I've sprayed dogs with far more powerful pepper spray than the public can buy and it generally just ticks them off even more.
[/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mace_(club)"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mace_(club)[/url]

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1383442475' post='8094200']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mace_(club)"]http://en.wikipedia....iki/Mace_(club)[/url]
[/quote]

Very well played. Make sure to hit the beast between the eyes.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

I've seen a big 'ol goose get drilled in the brain by a skulled ball that went right at the edge of the water. That poor guy had no chance. We called to the Pro Shop so that a grounds crew member would clean up the mess. I felt bad because there were lots of birds there and they went crazy.

I have posted before, but I actually killed a crow on the range once with a bunch of witnesses, on my first range session of the year a couple seasons back.

It was actually insane. I hit a beauty 7 or 8 iron up in the air, and right at the apex it hit a flying crow and knocked it off kilter and down to the ground. That one sucked because it landed hard to the ground and was still twitching for a bit. The old man beside me made me feel better though. He looked at me and said "Didnt take you long to get your first birdie this year!" He also said how you could drop a hundred balls and not do it again. It was a fluke and wasnt something I planned at all.

The guy at the range called me the 'Crow guy' all season long though, lol.

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1383442475' post='8094200']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mace_(club)"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mace_(club)[/url]
[/quote]

You just went medieval on him!

I've never killed an animal on the course, but did see a buddy of mine drive a ball straight into a seagull on the range. Saw an explosion of feathers, and the worst thing was the bird actually survived the impact (barely though). The guys at the range decided to put it out of its misery by smashing it with an iron, which was probably for the best since there was no way it could survive with its body in that mangled state.

I don't think my weak-a** swing is capable of killing anything larger than a wasp or maybe a small bee. Unless it's standing within 40 yards or so in front of me. The last time I hit a goose with one of my tee shots he gave me a look that said, "Hey lady, does your husband play too?". Or something like that. Did not bother him in the slightest. And I thought I had caught that one right on the screws.

Only time I had witnessed something being hit was years ago. A course was bordered by a cow pasture, (cow pasture pool). Friend hit a solid tee shot. It starts to turn right before the apex & then really goes right. It comes down & hits a cow right in the butt. The cow bellars & takes off running. It clears a hill while still at a dead run with all the other cows looking around wondering whats happening.

I am laughing again while typing this because I can pictue it in my head & this happened over 25 years ago. Thanks for the memory!!

[quote name='GLF4EVR' timestamp='1383597858' post='8101210']
Only time I had witnessed something being hit was years ago. A course was bordered by a cow pasture, (cow pasture pool). Friend hit a solid tee shot. It starts to turn right before the apex & then really goes right. It comes down & hits a cow right in the butt. The cow bellars & takes off running. It clears a hill while still at a dead run with all the other cows looking around wondering whats happening.

I am laughing again while typing this because I can pictue it in my head & this happened over 25 years ago. Thanks for the memory!!
[/quote]

My twin did the same thing at a scramble but it hit a horse .. the horse had to be 60 yard right of the fairway and was across a country road

We go to this event every year and when he gets on the tee a few guys make horse noises, one guy will warn the horse with a yell and a high arm pointed right and I love to say "Whoa Dusty settle down"

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

I saw a guy almost hit a cow once with a tee shot. Came up a yard short and right in a recently deposited cow pie. For some reason he thought it worthwhile to walk up behind the creature and reach in with a club to retrieve the ball but just as he was reaching for the ball the cow emitted a stream of the old Number One.

I thought it was pretty funny, even though he didn't get a direct hosing but merely splashed from the knees down. If the darned cow had waited five more seconds it would have been funnier to see him catch the full stream, directly.