Hitting/killing animals on the course

I 'battled' a massive snapping turtle and I lived to tell the story.

I've been chased by Canadian geese and escaped with my life.

I feel fortunate that they let me share their space.

I'm a confessed 'nature nut'. I'd probably have to get in my car and go home if I killed an animal on the course.

Long live the 'Black Swan'.

Happy Halloween.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1383265903' post='8086204']
I'm an animal lover, i don't like seeing them get killed under any circumstances. I understand these things happen, and it doesn't make me sad or anything (circle of life, i get it....also i eat cows,pigs and chicken). But i hate guys that hit at birds or whatever. Closest i ever came to a fight on the course was for telling off a group that was hitting at a group of birds on the course
[/quote]

I saw a guy kill a gopher with a 7 iron once when I was a kid for no other reason than it was sitting there. I couldn't say anything but I'm still mad about it all these years later.

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1383267664' post='8086354']
I'm an animal lover, i don't like seeing them get killed under any circumstances. I understand these things happen, and it doesn't make me sad or anything (circle of life, i get it....also i eat cows,pigs and chicken). But i hate guys that hit at birds or whatever. Closest i ever came to a fight on the course was for telling off a group that was hitting at a group of birds on the course
[/quote]

I saw a guy kill a gopher with a 7 iron once when I was a kid for no other reason than it was sitting there. I couldn't say anything but I'm still mad about it all these years later.
[/quote]

I gotta be honest thrillhouse, if I saw that happen today, id have to consider messing up my clean record if you know what I mean. Some people are sorry excuses for human beings. I don't really understand the point of the poll in this thread. Positive? What kind of sadistic %#^ do you have to be to take pleasure in murdering an animal (I don't mean hunting).

[quote name='CSchnee' timestamp='1383269740' post='8086516']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I gotta be honest thrillhouse, if I saw that happen today, id have to consider messing up my clean record if you know what I mean. Some people are sorry excuses for human beings. I don't really understand the point of the poll in this thread. Positive? What kind of sadistic %#^ do you have to be to take pleasure in murdering an animal (I don't mean hunting).
[/quote]

I was going more towards positive meaning putting extra effect into making good shots so you don't hit another animal with a golf ball, not for getting jollies off random harm.

Teed off while on a trip 2 years ago, hit a hen mallard walking on the ground thirty yards ahead square in the middle of its spine, I had to dispatch the poor thing because it was waddling incoherently and dying slowly. Took a double, but birdied the next hole. I did feel bad, strangely when I shoot them doesn't bother me a bit.

This year my dad and daughter made a point to make me observe how the ducks in font of the same box moved out when we pulled up.

I'm never truly happy after a round of golf unless something has died during the course of play.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1383270359' post='8086562']
I'm never truly happy after a round of golf unless something has died during the course of play.
[/quote]

Even more disturbing when I take a gander at your avatar. The Internet is a sick place.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1383253837' post='8085276']
I have no problem with hunting or anything like that, but I like animals and I don't want to see one get hurt for no reason. Golf course or elsewhere.
[/quote]

This just about sums it up for me.

Ping G400 AD-DI
Ping G425 3 Wood

Adams XTD 3 Hybrid
Srixon ZX7 4-PW
Scratch 53 & 58
Studio Select Kombi

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1383271040' post='8086622']
[/quote]

Even more disturbing when I take a gander at your avatar. The Internet is a sick place.
[/quote]

Eesh, sorry if the deadpan wooshed by you.
Must remember to included sarcastic winks in future for people new to the interwebs.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='OneBallShort' timestamp='1383270065' post='8086542']
[quote name='CSchnee' timestamp='1383269740' post='8086516']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I was going more towards positive meaning putting extra effect into making good shots so you don't hit another animal with a golf ball, not for getting jollies off random harm.
[/quote]

Gotcha. Didn't pick up what you're putting down. Now I got it.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1383275618' post='8086934']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Must remember to included sarcastic winks in future for people new to the interwebs.
[/quote]

Totally got the sarcasm - mine was intended as sarcasm as well, but Hello Kitty really does disturb me.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Call me a sick puppy but it's easier to see a human get killed than an animal through my eyes.

Probably because I surf the reddit gore section pretty much everyday lol.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1383276418' post='8086976']
[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1383275618' post='8086934']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Totally got the sarcasm - mine was intended as sarcasm as well, but Hello Kitty really does disturb me.
[/quote]I thought you were talking about canadians in california, which is in fact disturbing, ay

[quote name='Kadin 25' timestamp='1383235322' post='8083688']
Natural Selection I guess...
I view it as "what are the odds of that happening"
[/quote]
...people are slipping here...not a single comment about getting a "birdie" on that hole?

Most damage I have done was intentionally blading a yellow jacket with a 3i....no remorse there either seeing as I'm allergic

Zolex 0 CC "The Hammer" driver
Warrior 3h
Divnick Adjustable Iron
Spin Doctor Wedges
Top Spin Putter
Molitor & Pinnacle balls

I have only killed one thing on the course (besides my handicap). I ran over a squirrel. It popped out from the brush on the side of the path. It zigged and zagged and popped back into the bushes. I then went along my merry way, to hear the drivers side go "thump, thump". I looked back and felt sick to my stomach. Luckily, the poor thing was definitely dead. Nothing long and drawn out. My good round went to poo after that.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

Off topic..sort of...

I was having a discussion with a buddy about people who hunt for the fun of it and don't eat what they kill.

My buddy says....

"Yea those are the same guys who say things like...'You know what sucks about bananas? They don't bleed or scream when you peel them' "

I still laugh when I think about it.

*Now back to your regular programming ;)

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1383234254' post='8083594']
I hit a moose right between the antlers once. Never had so much fun as being chased by a thousand pound swamp donkey with a bone to pick. Actually, it is not as much fun as it sounds.
[/quote]

[i]"SWAMP DONKEY?!?!?!"[/i]

Good thing I'm done with my morning coffee, or you would have owed me a new keyboard!

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1383315855' post='8088066']
I hit a moose right between the antlers once. Never had so much fun as being chased by a thousand pound swamp donkey with a bone to pick. Actually, it is not as much fun as it sounds.
[/quote]

Good thing I'm done with my morning coffee, or you would have owed me a new keyboard!
[/quote]

Ha!

They are all over the place up here in Maine. People worry about bears, but at least those will usually give up after they figure you aren't something they normally eat. A PO'd moose will keep goring you till you are in pieces. The time I hit the moose was when I airmailed a green into the back woods. Heard a "sh'TOCK" sound and that thing came running out at us like it was on fire.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

As it relates to the golf course - there is only one animal that it's acceptable to kill.

Moles.

They do ridiculous damage unless terminated. Fortunately the mole traps my club uses conducts said killing while still in the mole tunnel. It's pretty violent. The funny thing is that they're actually called Mole Traps. They don't trap anything - spring loaded spikes spear those poor little suckers.

I could probably give someone a pass for killing a poisonous snake.....

gophers, groundhogs, chipmunks, squirrels, turtles and birds of all kind should be left alone.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

Any course employee I have ever known would encourage you to kill a snake if you saw one.

Driver -  PXG Gen5 0311 XF 12* - PX Cypher 50 R

5 Wood -  Taylormade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue R

Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW - True Temper S

Wedges - Titleist SM8 52* 56* 

Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Special Select - 33" 

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1383322201' post='8088484']
[quote name='kellygreen' timestamp='1383315855' post='8088066']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ha!

They are all over the place up here in Maine. People worry about bears, but at least those will usually give up after they figure you aren't something they normally eat. A PO'd moose will keep goring you till you are in pieces. The time I hit the moose was when I airmailed a green into the back woods. Heard a "sh'TOCK" sound and that thing came running out at us like it was on fire.
[/quote]

[i]Oh, man.[/i]

I nearly got run down on a golf course by a spooked deer at a full gallop about 10 years ago. That was kind of funny at the time....

I can't even imagine staring down something charging you that is about as dim-witted....but big enough to blot out the Sun....

Got me thinking of the first time I saw an M-1A1 tank up close. It was on the interstate---headed back to the National Guard armory---after the first Gulf War. I like to read military history, so I had heard about the "[i]psychological/shock effect of armor".[/i]

I'm driving by and I'm looking out of my car, up at this 60-ton, TWO-STORY-BUILDING on treads, with a 105mm cannon sticking out the front of it....

I'm like "[i]Oh.....now I get it...."[/i]

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

Having learned as a child about killing animals and hunting "only" to put food on the table; I grew into a lifelong hunter of small and big game. What's interesting about threads like this is perspective. So many people get all squirmy about the killing of all sorts of animals. Sometimes killing is a necessary evil, and it always comes with remorse. Imagine what law enforcement and our military men and women feel like when they pull the trigger...

Swamp donkey's ( :lol:) elk and deer, among others in rut, can be very deadly animals.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I ran over a baby turtle in a cart once, felt terrible. It was on the cart path and I thought it was a leaf. By the time I realized what it was, there was no avoiding. Thinking of the shell crunching still makes me cringe. I had a pet turtle when I was a kid. RIP, Swimmy and nameless wild turtle.

Driver- Taylormade M1 460 9.5*, 7m3 Black Tie S
Fairway- Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 HL, 16*, 8m3 Black Tie S
Hybrid- Taylormade RBZ Stage 2, 19*, hm3 Black Tie S
Irons- Adams CMB 4-PW, KBS Tour C-Taper 120 S
Wedges- Adams CMB GW, Taylormade EF ATV 54*, Vokey SM3 60*
Putter- TM Ghost Spider S