• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1390429738' post='8511619']
[quote name='Jrose' timestamp='1390429346' post='8511581']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1390428074' post='8511443']
[quote name='Jrose' timestamp='1390427601' post='8511395']
Is the BB 103 new for the driver this year? Wasn't it an 83 WB last year?
[/quote]
He said he was able to go heavier because he's healed up now. It seems like he's fully committed for accuracy off the tee vs. distance. It's the new 2.0 head with his old reliable shaft in it.
[/quote]

I thought the 83 wb was the old reliable or did he play the BB 103 in his driver in the past?
[/quote]
The 103 was his old reliable before he blew out his ACL. He needed to generate more speed and needed the spin to fly the ball. That's why he switched to GD for a few years.
[/quote] He has never used a 103 bb in his driver until recently, always used a 73wb

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1390430554' post='8511731']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1390429738' post='8511619']
[quote name='Jrose' timestamp='1390429346' post='8511581']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1390428074' post='8511443']
[quote name='Jrose' timestamp='1390427601' post='8511395']
Is the BB 103 new for the driver this year? Wasn't it an 83 WB last year?
[/quote]
He said he was able to go heavier because he's healed up now. It seems like he's fully committed for accuracy off the tee vs. distance. It's the new 2.0 head with his old reliable shaft in it.
[/quote]

I thought the 83 wb was the old reliable or did he play the BB 103 in his driver in the past?
[/quote]
The 103 was his old reliable before he blew out his ACL. He needed to generate more speed and needed the spin to fly the ball. That's why he switched to GD for a few years.
[/quote] He has never used a 103 bb in his driver until recently, always used a 73wb
[/quote]
I figured someone would chime in here that might have more insight.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='punchdrunk' timestamp='1390430548' post='8511725']
I don't want to start up a huge Tiger conspiracy theory but it almost looks like the "grooves" on the one could just be paint.
[/quote]
Maybe...but I personally think he's lost his feel. Not that he should go back to his Scotty per se, but it's an adjustment to putt with inserts...that's if they are really inserts! LOL :)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Pretty sure the 83x WB was what he used for a while, definitely when he was with Haney. Always been 103X BBs in the fwys though. The DI I believe he went to after seeing Howell hit one so well, probably had something to do with the injury also but at that time he was really searching with the driver.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

[quote name='punchdrunk' timestamp='1390430548' post='8511725']
I don't want to start up a huge Tiger conspiracy theory but it almost looks like the "grooves" on the one could just be paint.
[/quote]
Wondered the same thing in my post on the first page. I've had a method 001 and the feel of the grooves and polymer is very unique. A bit strange if you're used to a solid metal face. Isn't Rory's face the same?

[quote name='Jimmie48' timestamp='1390428533' post='8511487']
wow I havent seen his stuff this close up on this site before I dont think....isnt his bag notoriously hard to get ahold of?
[/quote]

This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've shot his clubs handheld close-up and anytime he has a new club in the bag, Joey lets me shot that club.

[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1390428875' post='8511521']
Amazing work getting these Greg, can't imagine how hard it is to get that much access to his tools
[/quote]

Not that hard. Joey said "here are the clubs, I'm going to lunch let me know when you're done".

Tiger had finished his round, was having lunch, then his presser before he was going to practice.

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1390427218' post='8511345']
[quote name='pappaf2' timestamp='1390427015' post='8511313']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1390426742' post='8511281']
Wow great photos. The putters are the exact same, one is just newer.
[/quote]

Yes very nice photos. I am really interested to see how Tiger's driving is this year with the 2.0 and the BB.
It doesn't look like those putters are the same to me. The darker one has deeper milling across the whole face including the "grooves". I am curious if that putter has "faux" grooves like tiger was talking about with rory in their china match.

I do like how nike filled in the "3" that cavity back 2 iron used to have on it. I'm sure it's a new club but it's a nice touch.
[/quote]

Yeah I agree the faces are different, I was looking at the other photos and missed that.
[/quote]

To my eye the new one is Painted black......it does NOT have the polomer grooves.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1390428507' post='8511475']
was his putter always beached?
[/quote]

His putter isn't beached. The Method putters, since launch day, have had a slot and face milled and filled with resin. He's played it since his Scotty. His Scotty's were never beached though. He used the TeI3 and the Newport 2. Never a beach.The Method feels and sounds nothing like a Scotty Newport Beach though. Beach putters are meant to have a higher pitched *ping* sound at impact and feel a tad softer. Non-beach putters have more of a click or clunk sound. He prefers the lower pitch sound. Deep milling provides somewhat of a softer feel without the beach slot.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

As someone already mentioned, the 103X BlueBoard is a new (late 2013) development with Tiger, equipment-wise. I am nearly certain that before the last couple of months, Tiger never used a composite shaft of that weight. And yes, I agree with whoever observed that it seems like a very significant change.

Of course, back when Tiger was in his early 20's and was the best driver of the golf ball in the world, he had a Cobra driver fitted with a 126-gram Dynamic Gold X100 steel shaft. So it wouldn't be technically true to say that Tiger has never played with such a heavy shaft.

Length is the interesting variable. Tiger's Cobra driver in the late 1990's was 43.5 inches, I think. The current driver is 44.0 inches, I think. Those lengths would be standard, in relation to the static weights of the respective shafts.

I'd like to know for sure what the length is on Tiger's new 103g driver.

Apart from the notorious Sergio Garcia, I wonder who else on Tour is using a driver with a 100+ gram shaft, at a length of anything less than 44"?

I think Woodland's is in the 90s but it seems most are going lighter if anything.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

[quote name='pga43' timestamp='1390431277' post='8511823']
[quote name='Jimmie48' timestamp='1390428533' post='8511487']
wow I havent seen his stuff this close up on this site before I dont think....isnt his bag notoriously hard to get ahold of?
[/quote]

This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've shot his clubs handheld close-up and anytime he has a new club in the bag, Joey lets me shot that club.

[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1390428875' post='8511521']
Amazing work getting these Greg, can't imagine how hard it is to get that much access to his tools
[/quote]

Not that hard. Joey said "here are the clubs, I'm going to lunch let me know when you're done".

Tiger had finished his round, was having lunch, then his presser before he was going to practice.

Greg
[/quote]

A refreshing change for TeamTiger.

Just don't ask to see Adam Scott's clubs... Know what I'm sayin'?

;)

[quote name='15th Club' timestamp='1390431600' post='8511857']
As someone already mentioned, the 103X BlueBoard is a new (late 2013) development with Tiger, equipment-wise. I am nearly certain that before the last couple of months, Tiger never used a composite shaft of that weight. And yes, I agree with whoever observed that it seems like a very significant change.

Of course, back when Tiger was in his early 20's and was the best driver of the golf ball in the world, he had a Cobra driver fitted with a 126-gram Dynamic Gold X100 steel shaft. So it wouldn't be technically true to say that Tiger has never played with such a heavy shaft.

Length is the interesting variable. Tiger's Cobra driver in the late 1990's was 43.5 inches, I think. The current driver is 44.0 inches, I think. Those lengths would be standard, in relation to the static weights of the respective shafts.

[/quote]
Tiger played a Whiteboard 83X in his driver and Blueboard 103X in his fairway woods before his knee surgery. His driver has been 45 1/4" for some time.

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

[quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1390432584' post='8511951']
[quote name='15th Club' timestamp='1390431600' post='8511857']

[/quote]
Tiger played a Whiteboard 83X in his driver and Blueboard 103X in his fairway woods before his knee surgery. His driver has been 45 1/4" for some time.
[/quote]
No; I knew that. The BB 103X in his fairway woods; that's not unusual. At least not for him, being a child of the DG steel -era, and playing an 80-gram driver. [i](Edit. -- I see now what I wrote, and what you interpreted. I was talking about Tiger's never having played a 103X in his driver. But I didn't specify that in the preceding post. My bad. Yes, Tiger has a long history with the BB 103X in his 3-wood and, when he carries it, his 5-wood.)[/i]

Playing a driver with a 100+ gram shaft [u][i][b]is[/b][/i][/u] unusual in this day and age.
I'll bet my bottom dollar that his current driver with a 103X BlueBoard is [u][i][b]not[/b][/i][/u] 45 1/4".

EDIT: I should not have accused anyone of lying. Thanks for clarifying Greg. Great pics as always.

I stand by my statement, that the putter grooves "look" to be painted on!

WITB Link

It was always my personal, unscientific opinion that when Tiger Woods switched from his old Cameron to a Nike Method putter, he lost some of his uncanny distance control on longer putts. I always thought that Tiger was the most underrated greens-reader in golf, and was the best speed-putter in a generation.

And when he went to the Nike Method, I thought he fell off noticeably in overall putting, due mostly to poor speed and uncertainty with speed in relation to break. Which then led to other problems.

The notion that he has a Nike Method that is a kind of a "fake" Nike Method -- real of course but with painted-on face markings -- is really interesting.

Huge kudos to the photographer. What a great job in this case.

[quote name='ghabanos' timestamp='1390433903' post='8512083']
does anyone know which club he is likely to remove for play?
[/quote]

The vrs 2 iron. He didn't take his 5 wood out all last year for the 2 iron so I expect that to continue

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

[quote name='ghabanos' timestamp='1390433903' post='8512083']
does anyone know which club he is likely to remove for play?
[/quote]

If it were up to me, I'd have Tiger keep the 2-iron in the bag on TP North, for shorter-hole tee shots, and put the 5-wood in the bag for TP South, where he might need it to get home on the long par-fives.

[quote name='peterra671' timestamp='1390433308' post='8512019']
Looks like Dave Franklin lied to the guys that went The Oven and all of WRX. Those grooves look painted on, for sure.
[/quote]

Why don't you read the other 5 threads that already deal with this topic before calling nike employees liars. The face is not painted on, and Greg, the one taking pictures, has even said he doesn't believe it's painted. I'd put my money on them filling the grooves with the polymer and milling the face afterwards. It would look exactly like this and not have to deceive people. Whether or not it still utilizes the method tech and it's roll, who knows, but I highly doubt it's paint.

As far as tigers putting, he still is the greatest lag putter out there. The putter he uses has absolutely zero influence on his putting. He puts in hours and hours of putting work to where he knows how the club is going to act. His scotty (or any scotty) isn't some magical putter that holes putts for him.

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

[quote name='Kylekoz17' timestamp='1390434663' post='8512167']
[quote name='peterra671' timestamp='1390433308' post='8512019']
Looks like Dave Franklin lied to the guys that went The Oven and all of WRX. Those grooves look painted on, for sure.
[/quote]

Why don't you read the other 5 threads that already deal with this topic before calling nike employees liars. The face is not painted on, and Greg, the one taking pictures, has even said he doesn't believe it's painted. I'd put my money on them filling the grooves with the polymer and milling the face afterwards. It would look exactly like this and not have to deceive people. Whether or not it still utilizes the method tech and it's roll, who knows, but I highly doubt it's paint.

As far as tigers putting, he still is the greatest lag putter out there. The putter he uses has absolutely zero influence on his putting. He puts in hours and hours of putting work to where he knows how the club is going to act. His scotty (or any scotty) isn't some magical putter that holes putts for him.
[/quote]

Question:

If the polymer isn't raised, and is simply flush with the milled face, what's the point in it even being there? Is there another Method anywhere on earth, with milled polymer-fill, other than Tiger Woods' Method?

[quote name='15th Club' timestamp='1390435144' post='8512225'] [quote name='Kylekoz17' timestamp='1390434663' post='8512167'] [quote name='peterra671' timestamp='1390433308' post='8512019'] Looks like Dave Franklin lied to the guys that went The Oven and all of WRX. Those grooves look painted on, for sure. [/quote] Why don't you read the other 5 threads that already deal with this topic before calling nike employees liars. The face is not painted on, and Greg, the one taking pictures, has even said he doesn't believe it's painted. I'd put my money on them filling the grooves with the polymer and milling the face afterwards. It would look exactly like this and not have to deceive people. Whether or not it still utilizes the method tech and it's roll, who knows, but I highly doubt it's paint. As far as tigers putting, he still is the greatest lag putter out there. The putter he uses has absolutely zero influence on his putting. He puts in hours and hours of putting work to where he knows how the club is going to act. His scotty (or any scotty) isn't some magical putter that holes putts for him. [/quote] Question: If the polymer isn't raised, and is simply flush with the milled face, what's the point in it even being there? Is there another Method anywhere on earth, with milled polymer-fill, other than Tiger Woods' Method? [/quote]

I honestly think it's to fine tune the feel for Tiger. Just makes the face a little softer and is a personal preference for him.

My question is what does Tiger/Nike do with all the old clubs Tiger uses? Do they get melted down so noone can use/collect them or what?