Has a new putter ever made you a lot better?

Egobblewobble

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't find anything on this topic. I know a lot of you love buying new putters and selling off ones you don't like. Have you ever bought a putter that just instantly shaved strokes off your score? Or do you just like trying new things to change it up?

It's been that way all my golfing life. I have long had a bad time with putters but that was because I was new to the game and had much to learn. After 10 years or so it became less of a struggle and I tried different putters and also back to old glories. Fact is, whenever I found a putter that worked better for me, I simply stayed with it but still kept looking and trying. My last5 change was an old Bullseye that had seen better days but when I tried it out at home on a wood floor, it felt so good and pointed so well for me that I pulled out a putter that I had been using for more than a decade and am still using that Bullseye today. I do more one putts and complicated rolls today than ever before, but I'm still looking, just in case something better turns up.

Shambles

When I made the switch to center shaft no offset putters it lopped 4-5 strokes off my putting game instantly, and it's held strong for 5 years now. It's difficult to fathom how bad a putter I was back then. My epiphany came in April 2012 when I picked up a Rife Trinidad in a Golfsmith one day and made 4 straight 15 footers with it. It wasn't just making those putts, but how clearly I could see the line and put the ball on that line. I'd played with a 25+ year old flow-neck putter up until then and the CSZO just fit my eye the moment i picked it up. And nothing, nothing feels like a Rife putter. Such smooth contact, and such feedback when you miss it. Not harsh, but you know the instant you didn't make a good putt. I bought that putter on the spot.

I've since gone through the cycles of CSZO putters - Scotty Select 2.6, Rife 2 Bar Hybrid, Cleveland 5.5, Scotty Golo S5, Callaway Solaire, Rife Martinique, Wilson Staff Kirk Curie III. I really do like most of them quite well, but I keep coming back to the Rife Barbados. It's by far the one I am most comfortable with. Surprisingly, the Callaway Solaire is next despite being a ladies' putter. I tore that thing up for a few months in 2015 but once the greens slowed down it became tougher to get to the hole and once I went back to the Barbados I never really went away from it again. I have found that I can putt "pretty well" with most of them though - the Golo is great, and I'd put the Cleveland right up there with the Solaire.

It's a great thing to line up a putt and think "I know i have a chance to make this". I know I won't make them all, but I don't ever stand over a putt and think I have no chance. One of my favorite moments was when I airmailed a par 5 on my 2nd shot and had a nasty chip to a steep downhill pin. I hit a pretty good chip but it was a treacherous downhill and all I could do was watch it slowly trickle 20 feet by and off the green. My buddy just looked at me and said "that's still pretty good" and my response was "if I leave that 8 feet above the hole on this slope I can't make that putt, I might even end up where I am now. But an uphill putt? I know I can make this one". And I did, to make birdie. That's now my signature line.

I did a putter fitting and ended up purchasing a Bobby Grace F-22 based on the fitting. It has changed my enjoyment of the game, it has helped me so much. The fitting made a world of difference for me. I learned a lot and have benefited immensely from the process. I make the 4-6 footers constantly and lag putt a heck of a lot better. I missed the short putts all the time before I was fitted and I was starting to loose interest in the game because of it.

I don't see myself changing from the bobby grace. It has been two years and i still love it.

I believe that every putter requires a slightly different technique to hit it best.

Once in a while, when experimenting with a new putter and new technique - you hit on something that makes you better.

For me - Bettinardi Studio Stock #16 with 50gm. counter weighted grip + a new left hand grip + a shorter, accelerating stroke = a big improvement!

Both better speed and directional controls resulted.

Later applied the new grip and stroke with other putters. There were improved results with other putters also - but not as good as with the grip counter-weighted Bettinardi 16.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Yup,

Over the last 4 years I gamed in order....Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6, and the Bettanardi BB1.

Then...I was in the PGA Superstore messing around on the putting green and picked up the Ping Cadence TR Rustler. Literally made everything I was looking at in stunned disbelief....

So far it's shaved about a half point off my putting average...

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Switching from a blade (Tour Rat) to a mallet (Spider) has done wonders for my putting. I still feel very confidant with the spider. Made the switch 2 months ago maybe.

+1 ^^^^ this. Since making the switch to a DJ Tour Spider, I have shaved some strokes and I'm a 3 handicap. Last two rounds I have been so close to shooting in the 60s only for the wheels to fall off at some point but still shot 72-71 with 28 and 27 putts. Excited to continue on with it. I've had every putter you could imagine and the hype on these putters is real.

I had used a Ping B60, and putters like it (offset heads) without much success. I got so irritated, I started putting with a 4iron (with a lot more success). I somehow ended up with a Wilson 8802-style putter and that made a huge difference. I putted with that until last year when I finally got a Tuttle putter. When they first came out, I thought they were stunning, but the price tag was too stunning. It never occurred to me to look for a used one until last January (I think). It's now my favorite club in the bag.

One round in on a Nike Origin B2-01, one great putting round in.

I feel like I'll jinx myself if I post more than this.

Ping driver
Taylormade fairways
Adams irons
Vokey and CG wedges
Yes! putter
W/S and Vice balls
Nike shoes
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1212980-stillboards-witb/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...illboards-witb/[/url]

Switching to an 8802 for a season helped me learn how to roll it better. Then after going through a putter fitting with the Cameron guys and having something custom made for me, I saw some nice improvement.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

I did a putter fitting and ended up purchasing a Bobby Grace F-22 based on the fitting. It has changed my enjoyment of the game, it has helped me so much. The fitting made a world of difference for me. I learned a lot and have benefited immensely from the process. I make the 4-6 footers constantly and lag putt a heck of a lot better. I missed the short putts all the time before I was fitted and I was starting to loose interest in the game because of it.

I don't see myself changing from the bobby grace. It has been two years and i still love it.

I got fitted for a Shiloh long slant neck ... love it.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Until last year I was a dedicated Newport style putter user. I couldn't stand the look of a mallet putter. My putting was always hot and cold. When I was on a hot streak with the flat stick I was shooting in the low 80's or high 70's. When I was cold with the putter I was happy with a mid-90's round. Last year I was given a Father's Day gift of an Odyssey Works Versa #7H. Once I got comfortable with the feel of the insert, I started to drain putts that I had no business making! It became fun to putt. Now my typical score, if my ball striking is decent, is under 83 which makes me very happy. My handicap is dropping now I am posting more rounds with lower scores which just helps keep my golfing juices flowing.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Biggest thing that changed/help my putting was getting fitted for a putter on a SAM machine. It really open my eyes to my tendencies and what i should be using.

Now I can still 3 jack or 4 jack (just did it in a tourney :( ) However, my putting has dramatically gotten better and practice with a 5footer has helped as well.

So, if possible get fitted for your next putter.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I really don't know as I am a streaky putter but I really like my PING Ketsch. The outer lines frame the ball and the long sight line in the center work well.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

My Evnroll ER2 has made me a better putter. It just fits my eye better than any putter I've ever owned. The technology seems to work for me. It's so consistent.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Yes. Definitely. Got fitted for an Edel (Rogue head, sort of a wide-ish blade) and the fitting showed I aimed best just using the top line of the clubface, no alignment aids, only a sight dot. So I went with it.

Results have been strong. I was a good two-putter. Definitely make more putts with it, simply because the putter really is aimed where I think it is aimed. Their fitting system is unique and explodes a lot of putting myths.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Not yet...but I'm sure my next one will!

Titleist 910 D3 7.5* w/ GD AD DI 6 stiff
Titleist 915 FD 15* w/ Fujikura Rombax P95 stiff
Titleist 910 F 19* w/ Fujikura Rombax P95 stiff
Mizuno MP 15 4-PW w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey SM5 52* F w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey TVD 56* w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey SM6 60* S w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Piretti Matera Rev 2.0