Muscle Back "Blade" Irons --- History and Future?

145791021
21

Comments

  • MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SC 3685WRX Points: 914Handicap: 8Members Posts: 3,685
    Joined:  edited Jul 30, 2018 #182
    Nard_S wrote:


    681's are rather tall faced clubs and average in length. but they are not small by any standard.




    Do you have experience with them?
    Posted:
    Driver: M3 w. Tensei CK Pro Org.
    Fairway: M6 3w
    Hybrid: Tour Edge E8 (19, 22)
    Irons: 716 CB (5-Pw)
    Wedges: SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Newport 2 Select
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 29598WRX Points: 6,085Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 29,598
    Joined:  #183
    tomc262 wrote:

    chisag wrote:

    NRJyzr wrote:

    gbartko wrote:


    what is it about blades the bring out the evangelist in 95% of the people that use them on this forum?




    Ironic. Blade users talk about how they like their sticks. The Cavity Crusaders are the ones looking to convert everyone to the "True Faith." LOL






    ... I think you know better than that. How many times have we read that hitting MB's is the only way to improve? That MB's are the only way to reach your potential? That everyone should try MB's? Physics tell us MB's are the hardest to hit consistently and are the least forgiving on mishits. I think it bears mentioning, there are a ton of MB players on tour that have more forgiving long irons in their bag basically reaping the best of both worlds that would think this "argument" just silly.



    ... That said, some high swing speed, high spin players may only be able to play MB's. I would never try to talk anyone out of MB's unless they asked for advice and were playing poorly with their MB's. And I have played with complete hacks using MB's that probably never hit the center once in a round of golf. Most people here repeat this mantra over and over again "play what makes you happy". You want to score the lowest? Play the most forgiving irons you can effectively play. You love the game and you feel there are many other reasons to play other than lowest score? Play whatever brings you the most joy. Even if that is 962B's.




    Cracking me up with the 962b reference! I have a set (along with 962's) in the garage. Played them regularly up until last month! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />




    amen ..962B is a lovely iron .... easily top 5 CB ever made
    Posted:
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 


  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 29598WRX Points: 6,085Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 29,598
    Joined:  edited Jul 30, 2018 #184
    MelloYello wrote:

    Nard_S wrote:


    681's are rather tall faced clubs and average in length. but they are not small by any standard.




    Do you have experience with them?




    I do .. i can post pics of them beside a Miura 57 blade ..HUGE difference in size... 681- 680 690 are not tiny irons



    adam scott , web simpson up until last year used 680 .....Matt Jones up until 2013 ish still 681 proto ..... another guy plays 680 and 690 loaded with lead tape , uses 10 finger grip i think ...cant remember his name.. ( scott piercy ?)
    Posted:
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 


  • Nard_SNard_S  3683WRX Points: 726Handicap: 9Members Posts: 3,683
    Joined:  #185
    MelloYello wrote:

    Nard_S wrote:


    681's are rather tall faced clubs and average in length. but they are not small by any standard.




    Do you have experience with them?




    Purchased a never hit set 2 years ago. They are fantastic blades and outclass all but 2 or 3 of the bakers' dozen I've hoe'd in the last several years.
    Posted:
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SC 3685WRX Points: 914Handicap: 8Members Posts: 3,685
    Joined:  edited Jul 30, 2018 #186


    I do .. i can post pics of them beside a Miura 57 blade ..HUGE difference in size... 681- 680 690 are not tiny irons




    Please post an address pic comparing 681 and current 716 / 718 MB if you can. I'd appreciate it as I've owned both of those.



    I don't have any reference for M57s, sorry.
    Posted:
    Driver: M3 w. Tensei CK Pro Org.
    Fairway: M6 3w
    Hybrid: Tour Edge E8 (19, 22)
    Irons: 716 CB (5-Pw)
    Wedges: SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Newport 2 Select
  • MelloYelloMelloYello Upstate, SC 3685WRX Points: 914Handicap: 8Members Posts: 3,685
    Joined:  #187
    Nard_S wrote:


    Purchased a never hit set 2 years ago. They are fantastic blades and outclass all but 2 or 3 of the bakers' dozen I've hoe'd in the last several years.




    In what way? How are you evaluating performance?



    If they're better, they'd be in production would they not?
    Posted:
    Driver: M3 w. Tensei CK Pro Org.
    Fairway: M6 3w
    Hybrid: Tour Edge E8 (19, 22)
    Irons: 716 CB (5-Pw)
    Wedges: SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
    Putter: Newport 2 Select
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ByeBye England 1359WRX Points: 117Handicap: 0.9Members Posts: 1,359
    Joined:  #188
    MelloYello wrote:

    Bye wrote:


    There is a set of the limited edition 680 irons in the local pro shop. It takes every single ounce of will power I have to walk out of the shop without them.




    Meh...pass. I've had a set.



    I much prefer the current 716 & 718 MB lines which look nearly identical and don't have minuscule mid- and long-irons. Why a player would ever want something smaller than a current-gen MB I don't know. Nobody on tour uses them.



    Were the 681-era designs even intended for solid-core balls?




    Apart from Adam Scott. It’s hard to see how much has changed apart from the number on the back. I can’t remember Titleist making a bad looking MB iron.



    2003, so they were probably testing them with the Pro v1 at the time.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M3 9.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 60X
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    Titleist 816 H2 20 degrees - Aldila Rogue Black 85X
    Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
    Vokey SM7 46.10, 50.08, 54M, 59M - S400
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
    Titleist Pro V1
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 29598WRX Points: 6,085Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 29,598
    Joined:  #189
    MelloYello wrote:



    I do .. i can post pics of them beside a Miura 57 blade ..HUGE difference in size... 681- 680 690 are not tiny irons




    Please post an address pic comparing 681 and current 716 / 718 MB if you can. I'd appreciate it as I've owned both of those.



    I don't have any reference for M57s, sorry.






    if i can find a 716 or 718 i sure can.. going to blow your mind ..The pw for the 681 is a great deal bigger ...and the blade length up to 6 iron is a touch longer. i have a 680 3 iron as well.. the 681 is actually beefier than that too
    Posted:
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 


  • jll62jll62 Minneapolis 2343WRX Points: 581Handicap: +2.4ClubWRX Posts: 2,343
    Joined:  #190
    BiggErn wrote:

    Maybe IF somebody comes up with a 790 type iron with a sharp leading edge and a sole that doesn’t bounce , so you can actuallly compress the ball I could see it. The biggest gripe I have with modern irons is that they all have such dull and wide soles. You cannot take a divot on anything short of wet ground. And no divot , equals no compression , which is less spin , which is less control. And that is counter productive.






    What? A wider sole can only help it’s not gonna hurt a good ball striker. Buy the time any of what you said happens the ball is gone. Hit the ball in the middle of the face and you’ll have plenty of spin and control...a divot is inconsequential.




    I know I'm a week late to this portion of the discussion, but I couldn't let it slide. If a wider sole could only help, then we'd all be using wide sole wedge grinds. Why aren't we? Because they work for some and not for others. Iron soles are no different. It's a huge misconception to think that the sole doesn't matter because the ball is already gone. I'll grant you it seems to make sense on paper if everything was equal, but everything is not equal.



    If you give me two clubs that are very similar, one with a thin sole and sharp leading edge and another with a wider sole with some camber to raise the leading edge, I'm going to hit the thin sole so much better. My swing is built to take shallow divots (or simply brush the turf), so the thin soles and aggressive leading edges work best for me. Whenever I try to play a club with a wider sole and raised leading edge, I subconsciously adjust my impact conditions to account for the leading edge change. Essentially, I introduce a lot more forward shaft lean in order to lower that leading edge and this throws off my timing and face control, not to mention changing the trajectory of the shot.



    I'm not advocating for one sole type over the other, but rather pointing out the you can't use a blanket statement that "A wider sole can only help it’s not gonna hurt a good ball striker". I have the same issue with the "bounce is your friend" arguments on modern wedge soles. There are a lot of us for whom a lower leading edge results in better performance, but they're tougher and tougher to find.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade SIM 8.0, Diamana Kai'li 60S, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade P750 3-6, KBS C-Taper S+ (soft-stepped 1x)
    TaylorMade P7TW 7-PW, KBS C-Taper S+ (soft-stepped 1x)
    TaylorMade MG2 52, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Tour Proto milled Juno, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

    jll62's WITB
  • ByeBye England 1359WRX Points: 117Handicap: 0.9Members Posts: 1,359
    Joined:  #191
    The P730’s look the smallest blade around at the moment to me.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M3 9.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 60X
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    Titleist 816 H2 20 degrees - Aldila Rogue Black 85X
    Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
    Vokey SM7 46.10, 50.08, 54M, 59M - S400
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
    Titleist Pro V1
  • Nard_SNard_S  3683WRX Points: 726Handicap: 9Members Posts: 3,683
    Joined:  #192
    MelloYello wrote:

    Nard_S wrote:


    Purchased a never hit set 2 years ago. They are fantastic blades and outclass all but 2 or 3 of the bakers' dozen I've hoe'd in the last several years.




    In what way? How are you evaluating performance?



    If they're better, they'd be in production would they not?




    They should be.



    They are on the longer side in distance (7 yards on avg) and tighter on the accuracy and perform maneuvered shots with poise. Have only one other set that possesses all 3 at once and that is a Miura made Maruman from the 90's. Both clubs are tall faced w/ high and linear COG and both are flat out heavy and that's probably why they don't sell them. The long irons take some getting used to but they crank on flushed passes. the short and mids are deadly accurate. I'm carrying the Maruman's now in part to preserve the pristine 681's.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • gbartkogbartko Whooooo!  668WRX Points: 224Members Posts: 668
    Joined:  #193

    tomc262 wrote:

    chisag wrote:

    NRJyzr wrote:

    gbartko wrote:


    what is it about blades the bring out the evangelist in 95% of the people that use them on this forum?




    Ironic. Blade users talk about how they like their sticks. The Cavity Crusaders are the ones looking to convert everyone to the "True Faith." LOL






    ... I think you know better than that. How many times have we read that hitting MB's is the only way to improve? That MB's are the only way to reach your potential? That everyone should try MB's? Physics tell us MB's are the hardest to hit consistently and are the least forgiving on mishits. I think it bears mentioning, there are a ton of MB players on tour that have more forgiving long irons in their bag basically reaping the best of both worlds that would think this "argument" just silly.



    ... That said, some high swing speed, high spin players may only be able to play MB's. I would never try to talk anyone out of MB's unless they asked for advice and were playing poorly with their MB's. And I have played with complete hacks using MB's that probably never hit the center once in a round of golf. Most people here repeat this mantra over and over again "play what makes you happy". You want to score the lowest? Play the most forgiving irons you can effectively play. You love the game and you feel there are many other reasons to play other than lowest score? Play whatever brings you the most joy. Even if that is 962B's.




    Cracking me up with the 962b reference! I have a set (along with 962's) in the garage. Played them regularly up until last month! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />




    amen ..962B is a lovely iron .... easily top 5 CB ever made




    isnt that like being the skinniest kid at fat camp?
    Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 29598WRX Points: 6,085Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 29,598
    Joined:  #194
    jll62 wrote:

    BiggErn wrote:

    Maybe IF somebody comes up with a 790 type iron with a sharp leading edge and a sole that doesn’t bounce , so you can actuallly compress the ball I could see it. The biggest gripe I have with modern irons is that they all have such dull and wide soles. You cannot take a divot on anything short of wet ground. And no divot , equals no compression , which is less spin , which is less control. And that is counter productive.






    What? A wider sole can only help it’s not gonna hurt a good ball striker. Buy the time any of what you said happens the ball is gone. Hit the ball in the middle of the face and you’ll have plenty of spin and control...a divot is inconsequential.




    I know I'm a week late to this portion of the discussion, but I couldn't let it slide. If a wider sole could only help, then we'd all be using wide sole wedge grinds. Why aren't we? Because they work for some and not for others. Iron soles are no different. It's a huge misconception to think that the sole doesn't matter because the ball is already gone. I'll grant you it seems to make sense on paper if everything was equal, but everything is not equal.



    If you give me two clubs that are very similar, one with a thin sole and sharp leading edge and another with a wider sole with some camber to raise the leading edge, I'm going to hit the thin sole so much better. My swing is built to take shallow divots (or simply brush the turf), so the thin soles and aggressive leading edges work best for me. Whenever I try to play a club with a wider sole and raised leading edge, I subconsciously adjust my impact conditions to account for the leading edge change. Essentially, I introduce a lot more forward shaft lean in order to lower that leading edge and this throws off my timing and face control, not to mention changing the trajectory of the shot.



    I'm not advocating for one sole type over the other, but rather pointing out the you can't use a blanket statement that "A wider sole can only help it’s not gonna hurt a good ball striker". I have the same issue with the "bounce is your friend" arguments on modern wedge soles. There are a lot of us for whom a lower leading edge results in better performance, but they're tougher and tougher to find.




    Yep. Same as the guy who prefers a wide sole. Give him a thin sharp one and he will claim it “ digs too much “. Well why does it matter if the ball is already gone ?
    Posted:
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 


  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 29598WRX Points: 6,085Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 29,598
    Joined:  edited Jul 30, 2018 #195
    Nard_S wrote:

    MelloYello wrote:

    Nard_S wrote:


    Purchased a never hit set 2 years ago. They are fantastic blades and outclass all but 2 or 3 of the bakers' dozen I've hoe'd in the last several years.




    In what way? How are you evaluating performance?



    If they're better, they'd be in production would they not?




    They should be.



    They are on the longer side in distance (7 yards on avg) and tighter on the accuracy and perform maneuvered shots with poise. Have only one other set that possesses all 3 at once and that is a Miura made Maruman from the 90's. Both clubs are tall faced w/ high and linear COG and both are flat out heavy and that's probably why they don't sell them. The long irons take some getting used to but they crank on flushed passes. the short and mids are deadly accurate. I'm carrying the Maruman's now in part to preserve the pristine 681's.




    Yep. To this day my 681 6 iron has posted the fastest ball speed without a spring face of any iron I’ve hit on trackman.(6 irons ) They simply pound the ball if hit on the center. And just don’t lose much at all towards the toe. Now if you miss on the edge of the grooves. Sure. But what will help that? There’s more to cog placement than people know. And not every iron has it in the right place. No matter how similar they look.
    Posted:
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 


  • BiggErnBiggErn  2708WRX Points: 603Members Posts: 2,708
    Joined:  #196
    tomc262 wrote:

    chisag wrote:

    NRJyzr wrote:

    gbartko wrote:


    what is it about blades the bring out the evangelist in 95% of the people that use them on this forum?




    Ironic. Blade users talk about how they like their sticks. The Cavity Crusaders are the ones looking to convert everyone to the "True Faith." LOL






    ... I think you know better than that. How many times have we read that hitting MB's is the only way to improve? That MB's are the only way to reach your potential? That everyone should try MB's? Physics tell us MB's are the hardest to hit consistently and are the least forgiving on mishits. I think it bears mentioning, there are a ton of MB players on tour that have more forgiving long irons in their bag basically reaping the best of both worlds that would think this "argument" just silly.



    ... That said, some high swing speed, high spin players may only be able to play MB's. I would never try to talk anyone out of MB's unless they asked for advice and were playing poorly with their MB's. And I have played with complete hacks using MB's that probably never hit the center once in a round of golf. Most people here repeat this mantra over and over again "play what makes you happy". You want to score the lowest? Play the most forgiving irons you can effectively play. You love the game and you feel there are many other reasons to play other than lowest score? Play whatever brings you the most joy. Even if that is 962B's.




    Cracking me up with the 962b reference! I have a set (along with 962's) in the garage. Played them regularly up until last month! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />




    amen ..962B is a lovely iron .... easily top 5 CB ever made




    Duval should dust his off
    Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 29598WRX Points: 6,085Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 29,598
    Joined:  #197
    Agree. They are conforming and as good as or better than the Cobra set he’s hitting now.
    Posted:
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 


  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Nard_SNard_S  3683WRX Points: 726Handicap: 9Members Posts: 3,683
    Joined:  #198
    Have a set of 962 b's waiting for shafts. Great looking one piece cast club.
    Posted:
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and Southwest 16298WRX Points: 687Handicap: Low-Mid SDMembers Posts: 16,298
    Joined:  #199




    Absolutely agree.



    And that's all I was saying. That I'd prefer they made a modern tech iron with a sole that I preferred. Afterall , if it doesn't matter , then why not make one with a sharp leading edge ? Lol



    I thought I was pretty well on topic unless I misunderstood the OP.






    IMO - OEM's are not likely to make any more MB or new tech player heads but with sharp leading edges and or narrow-flat soles and zero camber. The majority of golfers want all sorts of forgiveness. I suspect most golfers even good amateurs are diggers so want associated forgiveness. Diggers with sharp leading edges will dig and not come up for air.



    I went from Rsi TP irons with more offset, progressively more full soles with blunt leading edges to 716CB's to get the same Titleist MB specs; less offset, narrow, somewhat flat-sole and more of a sharp leading edge, because those specs work better for me. I kept the RsiTP irons for a year. Sure I could have stuck with them, as I wasn't losing strokes because of them but why? I don't need to play what I don't feel comfortable playing. image/beach.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beach:' />
    Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Project X HZRDUS Red 62 6.0
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Project X HZRDUS Red 75 6.0
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2 iron, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    Titleist 620 CB/MB 3i-PW, Steelfiber i110cw & i125cw "S"
    SM6 F-52*, Steelfiber i125cw "S"
    SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1 or ProV1X




  • PALS-SSAPALS-SSA  282WRX Points: 75Members Posts: 282
    Joined:  #200
    I'm surprised more OEMs aren't producing forged CBs and blades with no offset. With modern design and tungsten weighting, you could create a no offset forging that is very forgiving.
    Posted:
  • FourTopsFourTops  1676WRX Points: 12Handicap: 5.7Banned Posts: 1,676
    Joined:  #201
    Blades started dying-off the day Ping introduced the Eye 2's. The Eye 2's opened up the game to folks who hated hitting impossible blades, unless one had 8 hours per day, 7 days per week to practice. But that's not the weekend golfer.



    I played MacGregor MT's and thought the Eye 2's were a miracle. Today's forged CBs are killer clubs...all of them...there's no junk IMO. I can't imagine a weekend golfer who has limited time to play and practice.....hamstringing themselves with MBs that assuredly are the most unforgiving clubs one can play. I don't get the point unless you like the look...which I can 100% agree MB's are by far the best looking irons hands down....I just wish looks translated to score.
    Posted:
  • 1Mordrid11Mordrid1  846WRX Points: 220Members Posts: 846
    Joined:  #202


    I'm surprised more OEMs aren't producing forged CBs and blades with no offset. With modern design and tungsten weighting, you could create a no offset forging that is very forgiving.




    Because offset is beneficial to the majority of golfers. The market share for clubs with very little offset is very small. So making design changes to the clubs to an already small market share, to yet divide that share into 2 even smaller groups has no profit in it for the OEM's.



    The reality is that there is potential to advance blade technology further by finding new forging processes or new material combinations. But since blades are such a small market share, no OEM wants to spend a lot on R&D for that segment.
    Posted:
    WITB

    PXG  0811x Oban Tour Limited 04
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood w/ Oban Kiyoshi White 4 65g
    PXG 0317 19 Hybrid Fujikura Pro 2.0 s
    Srixon U65 20° Miyazaki Kaula 7 s
    PXG 0211 irons 5-G True Temper Elevate 95 S (1°flat 1°weak D4)
    PING Glide 3.0 TS 56/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    PING Glide 3.0 SS 60/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115
    PXG Mustang 365g single bend
    Snell MTB Black
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • FourTopsFourTops  1676WRX Points: 12Handicap: 5.7Banned Posts: 1,676
    Joined:  edited Jul 30, 2018 #203
    The wording of the topic of this thread is VERY SNEAKY (well done!) to get all the +20 cap blade guys going berserk defending how blades make them a better player.
    Posted:
  • BiggErnBiggErn  2708WRX Points: 603Members Posts: 2,708
    Joined:  #204
    FourTops wrote:
    The wording of the topic of this thread is VERY SNEAKY (well done!) to get all the +20 cap blade guys going berserk defending how blades make them a better player.






    Well I have a thin miss and my ob shots only travel 5 yards past the stakes instead of 10.
    Posted:
  • Nard_SNard_S  3683WRX Points: 726Handicap: 9Members Posts: 3,683
    Joined:  #205
    The biggest gain of improvement and GI for MB's has been the ball..Much easier for Joe Duffer to use traditional irons with solid core Pro V type over 3 piece balata. Even late gen 3 piece (Titleist Professional) made it easier.The gain is more pronounced on blades because CB already attenuated unwanted spin. This topic is discussed like were still hitting Tour 100's or Top-Flite distance balls.
    Posted:
  • FourTopsFourTops  1676WRX Points: 12Handicap: 5.7Banned Posts: 1,676
    Joined:  #206
    BiggErn wrote:

    FourTops wrote:
    The wording of the topic of this thread is VERY SNEAKY (well done!) to get all the +20 cap blade guys going berserk defending how blades make them a better player.






    Well I have a thin miss and my ob shots only travel 5 yards past the stakes instead of 10.




    Yes, but you "learned" a valuable lesson on "not" hitting the shot 10 yards more OB.
    Posted:
  • BiggErnBiggErn  2708WRX Points: 603Members Posts: 2,708
    Joined:  #207
    FourTops wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:

    FourTops wrote:
    The wording of the topic of this thread is VERY SNEAKY (well done!) to get all the +20 cap blade guys going berserk defending how blades make them a better player.






    Well I have a thin miss and my ob shots only travel 5 yards past the stakes instead of 10.




    Yes, but you "learned" a valuable lesson on "not" hitting the shot 10 yards more OB.






    It’s a process. They have to make me better.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • FourTopsFourTops  1676WRX Points: 12Handicap: 5.7Banned Posts: 1,676
    Joined:  #208
    BiggErn wrote:

    FourTops wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:

    FourTops wrote:
    The wording of the topic of this thread is VERY SNEAKY (well done!) to get all the +20 cap blade guys going berserk defending how blades make them a better player.






    Well I have a thin miss and my ob shots only travel 5 yards past the stakes instead of 10.




    Yes, but you "learned" a valuable lesson on "not" hitting the shot 10 yards more OB.






    It’s a process. They have to make me better.




    They will...tell them bed time stories...take them to dinner, etc. Lol.
    Posted:
  • Bingo1976Bingo1976  2603WRX Points: 301Handicap: 6.8Members Posts: 2,603
    Joined:  #209
    I hope there will continue to be a market for blades - I love my 945s, and don't find them any better or worse than the MCs I was playing before. In fact my misses are worse, which often mean I don't end up in green side hazards....



    I suspect however that manufacturers driven by lower sales and tighter margins may stop offering blades apart from as premium offerings for asian driving range queens and the odd traditionalists such that exist on this fora, as well as some pros.



    I think it would be a sad loss - it's like comparing a vintage Steinway to a Xylophone...
    Posted:
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
  • Chuck905Chuck905  1382WRX Points: 243Handicap: 7Members Posts: 1,382
    Joined:  edited Jul 31, 2018 #210
    Well, after 8 demo sessions to find the right shafts and launch conditions; I ordered my Mizuno MP 18 (3-PW)



    Honestly, there’s just so many positives:



    1. Looks great, timeless



    2. Feels superb



    3. So precise and consistent



    4. Satisfactory launch conditions of 17.6* avg launch angle, 6358 average backspin and a 4 yard average miss to the left over a 3 hour hitting session. Under normal playing conditions, the ball would die off and cross the target line.



    5. Performs well; can cut it, flight it, draw it, up-shoot it, choke up and choke down for yardage control; does everything on command.



    6. Chips and pitches are so accurate



    7. The right shaft not only maximizes my potential, but my stamina improved also.



    Drawbacks:



    1. Not sure what to do with my 900 Tours?
    Posted:
    Epic SZ 11* Tensei White 75
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 13.5*
    Callaway Apex 18mb (2-PW)
    RTX-4 54* and 60*
    Odyssey RX9 Putter
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • craz-ecraz-e  4288WRX Points: 386Handicap: 3Members Posts: 4,288
    Joined:  #211
    Chuck905 wrote:


    Well, after 8 demo sessions to find the right shafts and launch conditions; I ordered my Mizuno MP 18 (3-PW)



    Honestly, there's just so many positives:



    1. Looks great, timeless



    2. Feels superb



    3. So precise and consistent



    4. Satisfactory launch conditions of 17.6* avg launch angle, 6358 average backspin and a 4 yard average miss to the left over a 3 hour hitting session. Under normal playing conditions, the ball would die off and cross the target line.



    5. Performs well; can cut it, flight it, draw it, up-shoot it, choke up and choke down for yardage control; does everything on command.



    6. Chips and pitches are so accurate



    7. The right shaft not only maximizes my potential, but my stamina improved also.



    Drawbacks:



    1. Not sure what to do with my 900 Tours?




    Nice set up, I am really enjoying the same shafts in a couple of different iron set ups myself
    Posted:
    Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    4 wood = Titleist TS2 Even flow white 6.0
    3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
    Irons = Titleist 718 CB/MB Project X LZ 6.0
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56*
                  = Ping Glide 3.0 eye 2 60* 
    Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
21
This discussion has been closed.